• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-up Discussion 9 - Diddy Kong

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
DIDDY KONG
Advantage/Disadvantage: 0

Those bananas are such a pain.
Many people don't know how to fight Diddy.
How do we keep it even?

We need the following information:​

-STAGES-
"Best" starters for Oli:
"Worst" starters for Oli:
"Best" counterpicks for Oli:
"Worst" counterpicks for Oli:

Notable "move beats move" situations:

Opponent's primary tools:
How we can deal with opponent's primary tools:

Anything else:
(This section includes gimmicks, minor notes, and anything else that isn't covered)

Don't restrict conversation to just these points.
These are just guidelines to help discussion.
Discuss!

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I'm expecting that Fino'll have something to say on the subject of his bananas. =P

My experience with this match-up is kind of limited, but there are a few things I can say.

- Remember that we can use aerials while holding a banana if you use the aerial after whistling.
We can also Fsmash if you hold an attack button after grabbing a banana and input the Fsmash. I have a shoulder button set to Attack for this.

- It was stated in a previous discussion that the yellow costume helps hide held bananas.
I think it was one of Rich's Rants™. I'll look for the specific post later.

-I take back anything good I ever said about FD in this match-up.

I'll post more in a little. Too tired right now. ^^;

Turazrok

Smash Master
Logic told me to PS the bananas, jump up and grab them, then throw down.

If you throw them at diddy he'll probably just catch it.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Hmm this MU is odd

I used to know it well but then the Diddys got really good

It's hard for me to explain how I approach this MU now. I've never once thought of Diddy having bananas. I just think that bananas are anyone's game and we gotta know how to be tricky with them. Grab one, throw it straight down and fsmash, then pick it up and run away and sideB, then throw it... idk mix it up as many ways as you can possibly think. But don't be boring and just pick it up and throw it back. Take it further than that.

I try to avoid shielding, since Diddy's sideB is stupid. I try to stay somewhat far away and just keep his bananas away. If he does have 2 bananas I'll just throw a couple sideB from the ground and also Fsmash

OH btw if you're feeling spunky and you grab Diddy near the ledge at 0%, do Dthrow-fair-dair. Don't double jump for the dair, just do it right away. I did this to Jebus a few weeks ago it was so tight lol

I'm very much out of practice in this MU and no longer feel super qualified to really give advice in it :x But I think the things I said work pretty well regardless.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
One thing I actually got to play around with once or twice, Whistle->Nair->Toss Banana->Fair/Uair (depending on where he tried to go after the banana was tossed).
It was against a random Diddy ("Since"), so I'm not sure if it would help against a really good Diddy. Just throwing it out there.

- How do Diddy players approach?
- What stages should we try for when striking?
- What stages should we DEFINITELY strike?
- What should we CP?

Asa

Smash Hero
imo strike fd, banana combos have the potential to be longer, and we don't have platforms to help with landing or camping.

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman
You must have a strong ground game against this stupid character. If you have 1 banana with you, throw pikmin to block whichever banana Diddy throws at you and then f-smash to wall him off. Even if doesn't hit him, you'll be safe for the moment. Diddy's also love to jump and throw them to alter the trajectory of the banana so toss a yellow.

Heavy Pikmin management is required.

Note: Cloverleaf, I love you. I never knew you could aerial after whistling while holding a banana.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Okay, so strike FD. Should we strike down to SV or something else?
I'm asking about SV specifically because of the small size and the fact that the platform goes out over the ledges.

Is there a specific stage that really screws up his banana games?

Asa

Smash Hero
Well diddy's ability to item grab is really good anyway, so he'd be able to work with whatever stage, imo.

But stages like bf can keep them off the ground for a little bit, which could be helpful.
What about castle seige?

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman
Maybe it's just me but Brinstar could work pretty good. The stage is smaller than SV, the hills disrupt bananas and help you aim the Pikmin toss better. The lava pretty much interrupts Diddy's stage control and the small platforms make it easier to pressure Diddy.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
The bananas bounce for the longest time on the bubbles.

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman
Use it to your advantage. A Banana Bouncing is better than a banana on the ground.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
This has been bothering me for a while.
Would this be an accurate ranking of starters (from best to worst)?

Lylat, Halberd, Yoshi's Island, Smashville, Castle Siege, Delfino, Pokemon Stadium 1, Battlefield, Final Destination

Bold stages are commonly-used stages.

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman
If you're right next to Diddy and you plan on throwing the banana, don't throw it down. Throw it upwards and it's more likely to hit.

N_o_M

Smash Journeyman
This MU is pretty fun, But does our fair out range Diddys?

Top Bottom