• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCSB Melee Tournament + Spring LAN Party (This Saturday!)

DanteFox

Smash Champion
UCSB MELEE Tournament

Date:
Saturday November 20, 2010

Time (for the Tournament): you can get there as early as 11 am, but they'll just be setting stuff up. I might start the tournament as late as 4:30 if everyone's ok with that. I feel like we'll have a number that will allow us to do so without going too late. If you have a strong objection to this, let me know! The opinion of the masses is more important than my lone opinion.
For the LAN party: The lan Party goes from Noon to midnight. bring a computer or w/e it is you do at lan parties lol.
Venue:
Loma Pelona Student Resource Center. Decent size room with projector built in:
Map: http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/712/ucsbsmashmap.gif

Parking is available in the areas circled in Pink; unfortunately it does cost a dollar. For free parking you can try and find a spot in the adjacent town Isla Vista. Places to eat are located in areas circled and indicated in Red (mostly), and the actual Venue is circled in black. (Note, please disregard the phone number labeled as Gosu's at the bottom of the map, this map is the one I used for last year's tourney)

BYOC!!!!! Bring Your Own Controller! Controllers will not be provided. That's the only thing you absolutely need to bring besides a couple of bucks.
Cost:
Singles: $1
Doubles: $2 ($1 per person)

Pot Distribution

Singles (60%, 30%, 10%)
Doubles (50%, 30%, 20%)

Rules:

- Mages' DQ Rule

The Mages DQ Rule is applicable when a player is late for a match and it goes as follows:
2 Minutes Late ? Warning
4 Minutes Late ? Loss of first match of set
6 Minutes Late ? Loss of set

Stage List

Singles

Starter Stage List:

* Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
* Past Stages: Dream Land
* Special Stages: Final Destination
* Special Stages: Battlefield
* Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:

* Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
* Planet Zebes: Brinstar
* Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
* Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Teams

Starter Stage List:

* Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
* Past Stages: Dream Land
* Special Stages: Final Destination
* Special Stages: Battlefield
* Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:

* Planet Zebes: Brinstar
* Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
* Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

General Melee Rules

* By popular demand, we will be doing pools to begin and 1st and 2nd seed of each pool will proceed to a double elimination bracket. Placement is determined by number of matches won, then least number of matches lost, and ties will be broken by a 2 out of 3 set between the tied parties.
* Items are set to off.
* Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
* Regular sets are best of 3 matches.
* The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
* Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
* Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
* Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
* Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.
*Wobbling is not banned.
*The tournament host (me) reserves the right to ban any player who engages in excessive stalling such as, but not limited to, jigglypuff's rising pound stall, ice climber's freeze glitch, peach's wallbomber, etc. Some of these tactics MAY be used to buy time, for example sheik shino stalling to stay safe for a bit and come up with a strategy or peach floating out of reach to avoid someone, but if these tactics are used for the express purpose of excessively prolonging a match, and I witness it taking place, I may disqualify you, so be warned. The tournament host reserves the right to be the final arbiter on this issue.

Additional Rules for Teams Play

* Life Stealing is allowed
* Set team attack to ON

Redwood Counter Pick System

1. Blind Picks character selection.
2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

Grand Finals, loser's finals, and winner's finals will be best out of 5. semi-finals will be best out of 3 cuz I have a feeling we'll be more pressed for time due to the epicness of events taking place.

Post here if you plan to attend or are bringing a setup.
Oh yeah and if you wanna MM me, let me know.

PS: We WILL be doing crews afterward. And you WILL participate. :mad: :bee:
and if I forgot/left anything out, let me know.

Setups:
1. DanteFox
2. DanteFox
3. DanteFox (This one's only a tv, so if someone could bring a system we could pair the two up)

Not a rule, but if you can, BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER AND KEEP TRACK OF IT.

Cost:
Singles: $3
Doubles: $4 ($2 per person)

Pot Distribution

Singles (60%, 30%, 10%)
Doubles (60%, 30%, 10%)

CSDragon

Smash Journeyman
Hey, since Dantarion is a SB local, will he bring with him the latest dev version of Project M with him?

Top Bottom