• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SA] Suggestion

WhoIsMrBlack

Smash Cadet
Background: I used to play a lot of SSBB with friends, and SSBM before that. I was unaware of the apparently rather active SSB community in South Australia. Then I became aware, but soon lost interest in favour of other games. Now I hear (but only by fluke) that it's still quite active.

The Situation
Casual players like myself won't usually know that there is a larger community of SSB players in South Australia. Most would never come to these forums either, and even if they did they have to go through the overly tedious sign up procedure, THEN find this forum and the relevant information hidden here.

Basically, there are probably players out there that are interested but simply never find out about it. Or maybe they're playing SSB at someone's house and hear about it but don't think anything past that. I don't know about others but I'd be interested in it again if there was a possibility that new players also became interested and the community could grow.

The Suggestion:
Make the South Australia SSB community more accessible. How? Facebook group. A private group where you simply invite anyone you know/meet that enjoys SSB. There are HEAPS of people around, in my experience anyway, that love playing it, yet from what I've seen the community is quite small.

Everyone has Facebook, almost everyone checks it regularly. No one who enjoys SSB is going to decline an invite to a private Facebook group devoted to SSB in SA. Even if lots of them would never think anything more of it, there are some who would become interested and maybe make an effort to get involved. All the relevant information would be right in front of them.

Where is this coming from?
I play a bit of SC2, then my brother invited me to SASL, a private Facebook group for SC2 players in South Australia that one of his mates made. It's a big success; it grew very fast and is a great way to find other players. They even hold friendly "tournaments" and if you just want a friendly game there's usually plenty of people online who you can just message and get going with. It got me a lot more interested and now I play it more often, and have plenty of people I can play with to make it more enjoyable.

I understand that SSB isn't quite that straightforward since you have to actually be there in person to play with people but at least all the information (location, times, who else is going) about "Smash meets" and LAN events like Streetgeek/Valhalla will be easily accessible. I know that I personally would get a lot more involved if it were like this, and I have a few friends that would possibly be interested too.

tldr: Make a private Facebook group for SSB in SA so the community is easily accessible and has higher potential to grow.

Opinions? Feedback? Discussion?

Cheers,
MrBlack

SethT

Smash Ace
Quote Swordsaint for the truth.

Sounds like a brilliant idea~
If someone doesn't want to make it, I will tomoz or Wednesday when I get some free time to format, etc.

Grim has it undercontrol :3

Ghostbone

Smash Master
I don't know about everyone else but I only found smashboards through the smash wiki, back when I was looking up how to unlock characters.... And it took me ages to find the Australian section (and I only found it because Techa told me about it at some anime convention)

That's obviously not an ideal way to try and attract new players, I like the idea of a facebook group.

Jamage

Smash Ace
NNID
Jamage007
3DS FC
5412-9923-5145
Switch FC
1787 8077 0889
I was going to do this a long time ago but didnt think we had enough numbers to have a group so I invited a bunch of people into the Aus group.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I don't know about everyone else but I only found smashboards through the smash wiki, back when I was looking up how to unlock characters.... And it took me ages to find the Australian section (and I only found it because Techa told me about it at some anime convention)

That's obviously not an ideal way to try and attract new players, I like the idea of a facebook group.
Lemme think... I discovered Smash Boards just through Youtube videos and links from other sites (after I did google searches).

Signed up for an account before Brawl came out after I got banned from Nsider...

I only found the Aus section when my cousin told me about Reloaded.

Splice

Smash Hero
I found out about smashboards because I was looking at a thread for getting Melee trophies.

And i didnt make an account until Aled started going to brawl tournaments.

My 2c lol

Yep I sure can't wait to not meet Gears

Splice

Smash Hero
Eagle how did you know Bjay? isnt he from NSW?

Should be good Ant :)
I wish your bro was ALSO there though

oh well, I get to meet DoMo and stuff.

Eagle

Smash Lord
Friends in high places, yo.

Haha.. Well, we played.. err.. Habbo Hotel a long time ago.

I haven't talked to him in a long time though.

zApollo

Smash Ace
Eagle how did you know Bjay? isnt he from NSW
That's funny, I also learnt about 'unofficial' offline tournies through Bjay within the aussie-nintendo wifi community an eternity ago. Then after my silly win at the connection tour in 08, Bylim (from the same community) must have encouraged me to attend a local melbourne smash tournament. I think I came last but it was still heaps of fun.

Naturally when I came to Adelaide I sought out the existence of SG, but I didn't attend one until Nova came along.

Splice

Smash Hero
The way things are going Gears, hopefully we can both get what we want!

Ah, the world is a wonderful place!

Gears

Smash Journeyman
The crowd’s excitement is building over this hot battle!

Dekar289

Smash Hero
omg lol
best thread on smashboards

There's a distinct difference in the number of remaining pokemon!
What's the matter, trainer?

Top Bottom