• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-up Discussion 14 - Kirby

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Kirby
Advantage/Disadvantage: +2

A cute pink puff with fuzzy red feet!
A good recovery, unique copy ability, and powerful smashes
What should we look for here?

We need the following information:​

-STAGES-
"Best" starters for Oli:
"Worst" starters for Oli:
"Best" counterpicks for Oli:
"Worst" counterpicks for Oli:

Notable "move beats move" situations:

Opponent's primary tools:
How we can deal with opponent's primary tools:

Anything else:
(This section includes gimmicks, minor notes, and anything else that isn't covered)

Don't restrict conversation to just these points.
These are just guidelines to help discussion.
Discuss!

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I've played the Olimar side of the match-up quite a bit and the Kirby side a few times.

- If Kirby is behind in stock/percent, he'll probably be aiming to pressure us to the edge with Bair.
Condition them to expect the pivot grab and do something like Usmash/Usmash OoS/Uair, depending on the spacing.
You could probably shieldgrab his Bair with broken grab, but our regular shieldgrab can be beaten by a well-spaced Bair.

- They could also platform camp and wait for us to make a mistake. Just be patient and take little shots if they do this. There are eight minutes in a match.

- When we're in the air, their best option is to try to punish our landing with grab, pivot grab, etc. They might also Fsmash or follow us up with Uair, Hammer, etc.

- When we're offstage, watch for Bair and inhale. If they get an inhale offstage, they can drag us out pretty far and still make it back or just spit us under the stage.

- If they get our ability, it's a bit of a pain in the ***. I rarely get inhaled so I'm not sure if this is the best option, but I like to powershield the Pikmin until I can get in Fsmash range.
If there's enough room behind you, you could retreat and aim to get a white latched. It's harder to get other colors in because his tossed pikmin are like Purples and can knock slower-moving pikmin away easily. Pikmin latch hits can make him lose his ability, so he'll have to either risk losing the ability or stop camping and Nair.

- Apparently Kirby players have something against Nair, but they'll probably use it to get pikmin off. It autocancels and covers his whole body.

- His Dair might lead into Fsmash, Dtilt, Dtilt to Fsmash, Dtilt to dash attack, etc. Kirby has some very fun combos/pseudo-combos, so him getting in can hurt.

- I strike/ban PS1. They like Pictochat as well (he has some gimmicks), but Picto gives us a ton of room to work with (which is good against Kirby).
I strike PS1, SV, and YI (in that order), but I'm not too sure if this is the best idea.
I've never really lost to a Kirby in-tournament, so I'm not too sure about CPs. I lost a game once on FD because I was screwing around, so I CP'd FD because I was salty about the loss. Ended up winning the set anyway. ^^;
Any thoughts about CPs?

- He can do a glitch that gives his Stone a constant hitbox if he uses it on the right edge of Pictochat and on the edge of the bush on the Grass part of PS1. Can't remember if he can do it anywhere else.
If he does it on the edge of Picto while you're offstage, roll up onto the stage immediately or wait it out with tether.
I believe he can hit you with it if you drop off or stay on the edge too long.
Just watch slants in general. His Stone gets a hitbox when it slides off.

- Don't get between him and a wall. He has a jab lock.

Umm... I'm forgetting some things. I'll get back to this later.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I remember hearing something a long time ago about an Fthrow -> Inhale mix-up. Don't get TOO predictable with the whistling.

There isn't really much to say about this match-up, but does ANYBODY have anything to add?

wwwilliam0024

Smash Journeyman
Well his 0% combos are easily avoidable with DI, even if kirby is expecting the DI he wont land more than 1 hit after the grab. Simply jump out.

Bair Wall beats allot of our ****, example: If kirby Bairs and you Usmash oos, he can descend with another bair and will beat the Usmash. But its all about timing, Kirby cant really approach us.

Dont go bloodthirst and run after him, be patient, throw your pikmins, pivot grab and Fsmash, its a Pain to kirbys to get close.

Uair screws them, if they try to fall with Dair, Bair, o Nair, our Uair will out prioritise it...

Kirbys Uair is rediculous at some points, its a good juggler and has a decent range hitbox.

Watch out for his Fsmash!! It can get a very early kill (around 80% if youre not being carefull with DI)

when were of the stage kirby is a bit redictable, use your whistle and always keep your double jump!! dont go double jumping like a mad man, this can gimp ya..

If kirby is of the stage, go for gimp!! hes an easy target, and his recovery path is most of the times obvious!! Do Fair! Do Bair! Do Fsmash from the edge! Make his travel impossible! ;3

Top Bottom