• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overcoming the Scrub Mentality: How to Maximize Your Tournament Potential

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Link to original post: [drupal=4360]Overcoming the Scrub Mentality: How to Maximize Your Tournament Potential[/drupal]

For those of you who've been wondering why I've been posting only my iPhone for the past month or so, I developed tendinitis due to too much time on my laptop (screenwriting, SWF, schoolwork), desktop (animating), and Smash. And lemme tell ya, it's been KILLING me because I've had an idea for a blog in my head for a LONG time now, and I literally couldn't use my computer long enough to type it up. So without further ado, here goes:

Overcoming the Scrub Mentality: How to Maximize Your Tournament Potential

You arrive at your first tournament. You're an avid visitor of Smashboards, but you don't post too often because you feel you don't have much to contribute. You instantly notice the majority of the top players there. You know them my name and character, and you just stand there and silently watch them. You wonder if you made the right decision coming here. You're gonna get wrecked in the first round if everyone here plays this good.

I've been to a fair share of tournaments since Brawl's release, and I see tons of new players acting like this. Hell, there's some players who act like this for three plus tournaments. It's a real shame to me because I used to be that kind of player.

Fortunately for me, I had two top players give me lots of great advice on how to maximize my tournament potential: Hylian and PhantomX. Ever since then, I've done my best to pass on their teachings--along with a bit of my own--to newer Smashers.

Still interested on how to get active in your scene? Read on!

1. Be friendly. If you're quiet, get over it.

This might sound obvious, but we like being around positive people. At the end of the day, we remember people who made us happy or made us feel good.

There are two ways to become known in your scene: Be quiet but wreck other Smashers OR be the life of the party.

I absolutely followed the last one. I knew I had hardly any natural talent for Brawl compared to really good players, so I decided to get everyone to know my name by being the guy everyone loved to be around.

I'd like to give a shoutout to my buddy Mike3 of Austin, who joined our scene halfway through last semester: Mike3 first met me not at a tournament or a Smashfest, but at a film shoot. I needed a crew and posted in the Austin Thread, and Mike3 volunteered despite not knowing me at all. He instantly made a great first impression because he showed he wasn't interested just in showing up and playing Brawl--he was interested in being a friend.

2. DON'T talk about Brawl.

Now I know what you're thinking: "WTF, don't talk about Brawl at a BRAWL tournament?" Hell yes!

The quickest way to get someone to remember you at a Brawl tournament is to come across as a genuine person. Show you're interested in things outside of Smash.

For example, if I got to Europe and spot Leon. I could ask him how he got ***** by a Bowser. But then again, he's probably been getting that a lot lately. The last thing you want to do when meeting someone new is to sound like everyone else. But if I compliment him on his shirt, then I'm different. I'm in.

I'm not saying you shouldn't bring up anything about the game should it arise naturally in conversation. Be natural, not forceful.

3. Ask a top player for a friendly as soon as you can.

You're gonna get *****. Deal with it. The sooner you get the nervousness of playing a top player, the better. It doesn't matter how many more hours he's got logged on Brawl than you do: You're both still people, and you both started at the same place.

Top players almost always start the day by playing other top players. It's not because they hate newer players or don't want to play newer players--top players have been in the scene together for a while. A lot of these guys don't even get to hang out outside of tournaments, especially if it's a large state. This is their time to hang out and catch up.

Rookie Smashers hardly ever ask these top players for "ups." They feel they'd be a waste of time for the top player, one of the players would be mad, etc. Don't worry about it. Jump in and call ups.

4. Play to LEARN, not to win.

You're not gonna win your first tournament. Accept that fact.

Accepted it yet? Good. Now to win in the future, you need to learn how competitive Smashers play. They're nothing like CPUs or your friend down the block or your ten year old sister.

After your matches with good players, ask them what you can do to improve.

I'd like to give a big shoutout to a new Smashers who went into his first tournament with the right mentality: Jrugs of San Antonio.

Jrugs didn't enter his first tournament in San Antonio. Instead, he played friendlies. He came over to me and asked for some, and we played for like 30 minutes or so. Afterwards he asked how he could improve and he told me he was glad to play me after seeing all my videos. Double bonus points for Jrugs! Not only did he ask a good player for friendlies, but he also asked how he could improve and then complimented him. We LOVE being complimented as long as it comes across as a genuine compliment and not a scrubby brownnose one.

5. Every tournament you go to, meet THREE new people and learn THREE new things about them.

This may seem like a bit of a chore, but I promise it helps.

Remember when I said to not talk about Brawl? Well here's how you find more ammo to add to your conversation pile. You'll get to slowly yet surely know your scene better, which leads to the next item of the list...

6. DON'T talk about yourself.

Again, "WTF?!" I'm really crippling your ability to converse, aren't it?

If you've never read the book How to Win Friends and Influence People, I highly recommend it. It's very helpful not only in Smash but also in life.

In the book, it says to ask as much as you can about other people's interests. Whether you realize it or not, we all love to talk about ourselves and our interests. Everyone has a passion of theirs--you can see that glimmer in their eyes when they talk about it.

Ask people about what they're interested in. If their people skills are top-notch, they'll quickly ask for your interests, too. And even if they're not the best people person, you'll soon find them coming up to you asking how your life's going.

7. Smile.

Again, this is obvious, but smiles are infectious. Not those fake smiles you force out when your parents tell you to smile for the camera. A real smile.

But what's a real smile?

Go in front of a mirror. Smile for the camera.

Now think about a happy moment in your life. It could be a person, a place, an event--anything that makes you come alive.

A true smile forces the skin to the sides of your eyes (left of your left and right of your right) to wrinkle ever so slightly.

It's a deeply subconscious thing, but people can tell when you're truly smiling. And they can't help but dig it!

I once had a fellow Austin Smasher named Battery Guy tell me when I play Brawl, I'm incredibly serious, but immediately afterwards, I'm all smiles. I've even had people tell me they can't tell who won or lost just by looking at my face.

Be real.

8. Pick an avatar you feel best represents you.

This one's rather optional, yet effective.

I chose Louis for my avatar because I was born and raised in Louisiana. The film The Princess and the Frog just makes me feel like few films really can. I feel so alive when I watch that movie. It reminds me what I want to do for the rest of my life.

As such, people know me as the Disney guy. It's a great conversation starter.

You'd be surprised how many people recognize other Smashers by their avatar. And if your avatar truly reflects yourself, people will remember you much easier.

9. After you first tournament, continue forging your new relationships.

Smashboards is a very powerful tool at your disposal. It's a great way to keep up with new friends you've met.

Regional subforums often have social threads for their respective states and even cities if that state is large enough. Get involved and post in them. Continue to keep in contact with the people you've met.

And as you're posting, you're also showing that avatar of yours!

10. Phone numbers are online for a reason--use them!

Oftentimes social threads have phone numbers of its members in the original post. Contact the leader/Smashfest hoster and see when the next fest or tournament will be.

11. Remember it's a game.

Again, obvious. But Smash is a GAME. Treat it as such. If you lose, don't whine or john or complain. You DON'T want to be remembered as "the guy who ragequits." Those are the people who have the hardest time being actively involved in their tournament scene. Make that first impression a strong one, and then don't taint it.

So in conclusion, here's our list:

1. Be friendly. If you're quiet, get over it.
2. DON'T talk about Brawl.
3. Ask a top player for a friendly as soon as you can.
4. Play to LEARN, not to win.
5. Every tournament you go to, meet THREE new people and learn THREE new things about them.
6. DON'T talk about yourself.
7. Smile.
8. Pick an avatar you feel best represents you.
9. After you first tournament, continue forging your new relationships.
10. Phone numbers are online for a reason--use them!
11. Remember it's a game.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
1. Recover from tendinitis
2. Write a long blog
3. ???????
4. Indirectly profit?

Pretty good read. I'll be sure to refer any new players to this, if we ever get any x)

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
You should add that if the reader wishes to go pro, they need to play as much as they possibly can. I mentioned that it's not rare for pros to play 8-10 hours a day and people looked at me like I'm mad. They're called PROFESSIONAL GAMERS for a reason, kids.

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
Great blog. From my experience, I would say speaking up and asking top players for friendlies is the most important part. So a combination of points 1, 3, and 4.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
You should add that if the reader wishes to go pro, they need to play as much as they possibly can. I mentioned that it's not rare for pros to play 8-10 hours a day and people looked at me like I'm mad. They're called PROFESSIONAL GAMERS for a reason, kids.
I don't really think that's the focus of Zig's blog.

Anyways, great read.

Smooth Criminal

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
You have no idea how happy it makes me that you called him "Battery Guy" instead of "Harvest".
Also, you forgot to mention that Mike3 is hilarious. =P

Good read, Zig!

KRDsonic

Smash Master
This blog has some REALLY good advice IMO. Though I like being somewhat quiet at tournys though. I can afford to though cause people know me as the guy with the wolf shirts/plushies.

The avatar tip I wouldn't have thought of, but it is true. I tend to forget people that use bland avatars, but remember people with avatars with some sort of theme or that relate to how they post.

:059:

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
Good read. Lately there've been quite a few "Getting better in Life/Smash" and "self-realization and learning" threads, and I'm really starting to appreciate it. I may end up seeing if I can compile all these and either add them to somewhere or start a modern "Help yourself in Smash and Life"-esque thread.

Bookmark'd, deff.

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
This was really fun to read, I bet people will find this useful. I'm going to follow some of those tips myself.

-Ran

Smash Master
This thread is more about maturing as a member of society. Contrary to what most would believe, most of us have little in common aside from our desire to play Smash. At least, initially that statement would be true. As players interact with each other, you learn that there's more to 'that Toon Link' player than just how hard he camps. Learning how to interact with individuals of substantially differing backgrounds is a crucial skill, required in all walks in life. You don't even need to know frame data to be good at it.

BioDG

Smash Ace
Great blog, Zigsta!

While I thankfully did many of those points when starting brawl, I could still benefit from some of them. Like keeping a smile and asking top players for friendlies. I should do more of that. I dunno why, but...asking top players for friendlies is intimidating, or keeping a smile going when a tourney drags on or something is tough...but it's true that making an effort to stay optimistic about getting involved with the players around you really does make things better for yourself, for others, for the community as a whole. I guess it's all about having a selfless, open-minded outlook when walking into a community of people (or as Ran put it: being a member of a society). Whether it's a brawl scene or anything else.

Great read, man!

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Ran stole what I was gonna say, but I'm gonna say it anyways. This isn't exactly about scrube smash mentality, it's about scrub social mentality. That said, I'm disappoint because I was hoping you'd put into words how to have a propermindset for getting better at the game.

Good blog otherwise tho. Being unsociable at tournaments is something I struggle with, because I focus too much on playing than getting to know people. Good thing all the folks in my community are awesome and refuse to not get to know me.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Sweet read :) I was afraid to ask pro peeps for friendlies for a loooong time. One way to overcome that is simply to get as good as them haha!

Lord Chair

Smash Master
lol

no, you dont need to practice several hours a day to become pro status

youre gravely uninformed

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
lol

youre gravely uninformed
Yeah it's not like players for Starcraft, SF, TF2, etc etc. do that.

Oh wait. They do. No, you're right, in a game where you can always be better, not playing as much as possible isn't needed, that makes a lot more sense than the **** I just said that you can pretty much look up to be ****ing fact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbpCLqryN-Q&feature=player_embedded

Don't say "oh that's just Starcraft". I can find more examples. You don't learn how to perfectly shoot pipes as Demoman in TF2 by playing casually but with a really serious look on your face, stop being obtuse.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
lol

youre gravely uninformed
Wait, how the **** do you just ignore that M2K has been the best player in the world for years?

Seriously man. M2K didn't just magically body people in tournament. He actually spent time perfecting his **** at home until it worked.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Oh my god lollll.

Guys, Smash is not Starcraft. Playing a CPU does not make you better. In fact, using your time to develop mentally is probably better.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Lol those european dudes with that scrub mentality.

Apart from that good stuff Zigsta, I found almost all those things by myself and they work. Only one I didn't do is 5, I find it a little too much to force yourself to meet people You can just play with them and meet them through the game.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Lol those european dudes with that scrub mentality.

Apart from that good stuff Zigsta, I found almost all those things by myself and they work. Only one I didn't do is 5, I find it a little too much to force yourself to meet people You can just play with them and meet them through the game.
Aight niq elaborate :reverse:

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Oh my god lollll.

Guys, Smash is not Starcraft. Playing a CPU does not make you better. In fact, using your time to develop mentally is probably better.
I specifically said play against other people, don't ****ing strawman me. The guy who gets more playtime against good players is going to win. Tomo, pretty much the God of Street Fighter, pretty much played 10-12 hours a day against pros, which is how he got so ****ing godlike.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
lol, i state you dont need to practice 24/7 to be good at brawl and i get SC2 examples

real pro guys

nah seriously, real, idc about the falcon guy with the weird avatar but this once again proves that the a2zomg or w.e guy is full of ****

kk, meet Dave, my awesomely uncaring alter ego, now shake hands and feel really stupid doing so

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
You know they play that much for pretty much every game...ever? Unless it's turn based. You don't need 8-10 hours a day for Brawl maybe, but still, the more experience the better.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
lol

youre gravely uninformed

Because you said this first. Several hours a day against decent players vs a guy who only plays at tournaments and maybe a few matches at home is gonna lean heavily towards the first guy. If someone got 10 hours a day, they'd beat the guy who got 5 hours a day.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
lol, i state you dont need to practice 24/7 to be good at brawl and i get SC2 examples

real pro guys

nah seriously, real, idc about the falcon guy with the weird avatar but this once again proves that the a2zomg or w.e guy is full of ****

kk, meet Dave, my awesomely uncaring alter ego, now shake hands and feel really stupid doing so
How am I wrong when it's clear that the best player in the world for Brawl is the kind of guy who practices stuff 24/7?

Again seriously man, how do you just ignore this?

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
How am I wrong when it's clear that the best player in the world is the kind of guy who practices stuff 24/7?

Against seriously man, how do you just ignore this?
Funny seeing how I recall him saying he plays something like 7 hours a day. Or at least did, haven't really looked into him that much lately.

Top Bottom