• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Battle to End Hunger 2

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
The Kansas City Brawl/Melee Scenes will be hosting a tournament to benefit the nonprofit organization that I interned for. The organization, the Jubilee Cafe, is a program that feeds the homeless community of Lawrence through a twice weekly breakfast.

Rather than renting a venue and charging a standard venue fee, we will instead replace the venue fee with a required $5 dollar donation if you want to participate in the events. You can then feel free to donate more if you so desire. Typical groceries for the organization runs at about $250 per week. So 50 smashers would essentially feed between 75-100 of those in need for two mornings. Last tournament had 55 smashers which got a week of groceries. This tournament I'm going to shoot for two weeks of groceries.

Venue
BradyHall of First United Methodist Church in Lawrence.

The address is: 946 Vermont St. Lawrence, KS, 66044

The church is located one block of downtown Lawrence. Nearby the venue there are tons of places to shop and eat on Massachusetts St. one block over.

There are multiple parking lots throughout downtown, including two hour free lots adjacent to the venue and a free all day parking structure 3 blocks from the venue. 1$/10 hours of parking is available across the street.

Cost/Donations/Payouts

$5 Venue fee/Donation

$5 Smash64 Singles
$10 Smash 64 Doubles (per team)

$10 Melee Singles
$20 Melee Doubles (per team)

$10 Brawl Singles
$20 Brawl Doubles (per team)

We will also accept setups of both TV's and Wiis/Gamecubes with respective games in leiu of a $5 donation.

Payouts will be standard except 15% will be entered into the KS-IA-NE-MO Circuit Pot in Brawl. They will be determined by number of entrants and percentage of entrants total fees collected unless I can find some form of sponsorship for the tournament:

Totals of pot awarded (after Circuit Cut for Brawl only):
1st=52%
2nd=26%
3rd=14%
4th=8%

Housing:

I'll update housing as things get closer to the tourney. At this point, Dnyce/DeLux could probably host 10 people and we'll work on getting more housing.

Rules:

Brawl

We will be using the BBR Universal Ruleset: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=301032

However, I'm going to be amending a few for the tournament. If there is no amendment, assume it's BBRUR:
*The anti-Coaching rule's punishment is left to the TO's discretion. The punishment if you are reported and caught coaching will be a high-five from the TO if it is determined to be warranted.
* Colorblind Rule: If a player is colorblind, they may choose their teams color. Teams with Lucario, Sonic and Pokemon Trainer must use Blue Team.
*Winners Finals, Loser Finals, and Grand Finals will all be played on a Wii designated by a MW:W Circuit Official. Matches will not be considered valid unless approved beforehand.
*We will be doing random pools seeded with most likely 4-6 players each depending on number of setups. Pool play will consist of Best of 1 matches from stage striking from the entire unity stage list. EVERYONE will make it to bracket. Pool play is just there to help seed. If you are running late, you have the option to forfeit your pool sets, but you will be seeded as a bottom seed.
*Sportmanship is mandatory - If you are caught performing unsportsmanlike conduct by the TO, you will be given a warning. After the warning if there is a second infraction, you will be disqualified from the tournament. This includes the use of inappropriate language including swearing and all forms of harassment.

Melee

* All matches will be 4 stock matches, with a time limit set to 7 minutes.
* All sets will be the best out of 3 matches, except for the finals which are best out of 5.
* Items are OFF.
* If there is a tie at the end of the time limit, then the person with more stocks wins. If both players have the same amount of stocks, then the person with the lower percent of damage wins.
* Wobbling is legal
* You will be disqualified if you use any freezing glitches, such as the Ice Climbers' Freeze Glitch or Mewtwo's Soul Stunner.
* Any non-first party controllers must be inspected by an official before use.
* Performance altering controller modifications are not allowed.
* Stalling a match is not allowed (such as wall-jumping under Battlefield), but recovery tactics such as Peach's Wall-Bombing, and Jigglypuff's Rising Pound are allowed.
* Dave's Modified Stupid Rule will be in effect. No player may pick a stage he's won on during one set.
* Pausing during a match will result in a loss of one stock during the match being played.

Neutrals 1v1:

* FD
* Yoshi's Story
* Dreamland
* Battlefield
* Fountain of Dreams

Neutrals 2v2:

* FD
* Yoshi's Story
* Dreamland
* Battlefield
* Pokemon Stadium

Counterpicks 1v1:

* Kongo Jungle
* Brinstar
* Rainbow Cruise
* Pokemon Stadium

Counterpicks 2v2:

* Kongo Jungle
* Brinstar
* Rainbow Cruise

Stage Striking will be in effect for the first match of the set. The player with the lower port will get to choose the first strike. Loser choses ban before next match.

One ban per player per set. To be chosen after loss.

Modified DSR: You cannot go back to the last stage you won in a set, unless agreed upon by the other player.

The player choice clause!:: If both players agree to a rule outside of this ruleset, feel free to play by that. If one player wants to counterpick Mute City and the other player is fine with that because they think it's a fair stage, then that is more than fine. However in the event the two players disagree, house rules stand.

Sportsmanship: It's important to remember that the venue is a church. Please refrain from using excessive inappropriate language or inappropriate behavior. This type of offense will be determined on a case by case basis by the TO's. You will be given a formal warning in the event it's determined to be warranted. On a repeated offense, you will be asked to leave. No refunds will be issued to those DQ'd for any reason.

I will be very strict about DQing people because of time constraints. And I will not hesitate to kick people off of tv's regardless if it's a friendly or moneymatch. You have been warned.

Please read the above information carefully. By participating, you are agreeing to follow all rules. Any failure to do so can and will result in you being asked to leave (no refund). Also by participating you are agreeing not to hold us responsible for any property or personal loss or damage.

Tentative Schedule on September 3rd:

10:30am - Venue Setup
11am - Doors Open/Registration/Friendlies
12:30pm - Singles Pools Begins
2:30 pm - Doubles Brackets
6 pm - Singles Bracket
12am - Venue closes

Contact Info:

TO - DeLux - Philip Fukuto - (785) 691-8560 - or PM/VM me

Jace08

Smash Lord
well I'm hyped, the last one was a lotta fun

hmmmm I really want to ask darkrain to visit kc on this weekend, everybody would be so happy

DeLux

It's Labor Day weekend so maybe he'll be able to travel :)

DeLux

What is wrong with Labor Day Weekend?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't know if I'll be able to make this, but I'll try.

bugexe

Smash Cadet
oooooo ooooo! I'm in! I can also try to bring a set up. I have all 3 smash bros. In fact I have smash 64 on both my wii and on the actual n64. I dunno if anybody besides me is willing to play smash 64 on the wii or not =P

DeLux

The intent right now is to run a ffull N64 tournament event along with Brawl and Melee. It seems like general interest at KU is for casual N64 play, so I'm hoping to tap that target audience.

If anyone know the accepted N64 rulesset let me know. And I'm open to make it $5 entry or $10 entry.

:phone:

Jace08

Smash Lord
I'd play join a 64 tourney for sure! Also if we had enough people, I'd love to do 64 doubles too. I've never seen that happen at a tourney before

DeLux

Well, for it to happen, we need more setups. We had about 10 combined for both games, but I had to donate two TVs to be used for melee that were originally intended for Brawl.

Aka Melee step it up for set ups this tourney :)

I'd like to have 6 for each game plus 3-4 N64 setups at least.

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
Hey this sounds like fun.
I'll also be willing to dust off the old n64 for a hope for the 64 tournament.
Labor day weekend should be fine time-wise as well, I'm saying I have a 90 percent chance of going.

Also you thinking of inviting another A-list player so he can drain money from Kansas?

Smash Lord
I'd rather play it on the Wii, the 64 controller is garbage outside of the trashcan.
Retreating airials are great and all, but having the B button next to a jump button is pretty goddamn useful when you can't change controls.
cheap college students and bad economy. i'd say go for the $5.
This.

Low Tier Tournament?

I like your schedule for May 7th.
Low tier tornament sounds like a good idea if we can fit it in.

Confirming a Wii, a 64 console, a TV, and all three games.

Will be there regardless.

DeLux

Is there still interest in this tournament, even if we have the KC Gamers one on August 13th?

DeLux

Yeah, it's going to be.

I just don't want to saturate the tournament market because I'm TOing a biweekly, then the KC event, and then this Lawrence event within a month

Kirjath

Smash Rookie
N64 Tournament

Maybe this helps, probably not, but I ran a N64 free tournament sponsored by SUA about two years ago. We had 64 slots, and filled up. It was double elimination, and was super fun. Anyway, I won it.

DeLux

Oh that's awesome.

Do you play Brawl or Melee in Lawrence?

Kirjath

Smash Rookie
Oh that's awesome.

Do you play Brawl or Melee in Lawrence?
I don't play anything in Lawrence any more, I graduated in live in Phoenix now. Just letting you know that 64 people is definitely possible.

DeLux

I will come to yours this month if you come to mine :)

(assuming I get off work)

THuGz

Smash Lord
Bro just megabus AA -> Chicago then Chicago -> Kansas City, that's what I did to get to Michigan last time.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Yeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhh son.

Oh and I want to do doubles someone.

Me: :dedede:, supreme stock tank/support, places Top 3 every MI tournament in doubles.

You: Good :metaknight: or :wario: . Open to other ideas. Like to play the more aggro/kill machine role.

Get at me. ;)

Top Bottom