• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
This will be the up-to-date thread for Smash Bros for 3DS. All topics in GBD pertaining to Smash 4 will be locked. For the Smash Bros for Wii U, see the Wii U topic.

Expected in 3DS version:

- Sakurai is using his experience working with Kid Icarus 3DS to smooth the development process of 3DS smash. Mentions he would randomly think about Smash during Kid Icarus development

- "While I'm sure some people just want a new DX (Melee) or X (Brawl), that is not the answer I'm looking for"

- There's a lot of implied differences between the 3DS and WiiU versions. The issue of limitations (or lack thereof) come up ("I could make 50 characters, or double the stages, or make everything prettier (graphically), but with the WiiU I don't have to choose just one of those options"), while he runs into that problem with the 3DS, "maybe something fun like the original smash bros." adding something about a handicap.

- 3DS version will be more "personalized" than the WiiU version, as most likely the handheld machine will only be played by one person. This regards "personal data and achievements." He's probably referring to the stat-keeping mode the Smash games have had and how a handheld version would most likely only be tracking a single person's stats.

- Sakurai feels conflicted, saying something to the effect of "On one hand, a player feels a great sense of accomplishment by beating something really difficult. On the other, if it's too hard, they'll feel a sense of frustration by constantly losing to it." (implied differences between versions)

- Iwata goes on to add that a handheld experience is typically a "fun experience in a short amount of time," and that adjustments would have to be made to work around that.

- "So, for the 3DS version, since you must enjoy it alone, it has a system of rewards that you can customize your character with. And then you can bring these characters from the 3DS to the WiiU to fight on. So one "individual" on a handheld will appear in the "stadium" of the home console." Iwata summarizes by saying "The 3DS version is where players will earn individual achievements for themselves, while the WiiU version will be a place to show those achivements off"

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
so, you guys finally locked the original discussion then split up the discussion threads... makes sense.

so, SSBP (Super Smash Bros. Portable), SSB3DS (basic handheld title), SSB3D (basic 3D title), SSBP (don't hate me for this but... Super Smash Bros. Paradise), SSBS (that one image from the interwebz... Super Smash Bros. Strife), etc?

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I think SSB3D/SSBP(portable) are easier for me to remember this title from the other one.

This is the one I am more psyched for even though I want to get competitive with the other game. Just because it's portable and I can actually take it places. xD

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I totally appreciate creating an entire new topic for this set of Super Smash Bros. games. Lets be honest, that Super Smash Bros. 4 topic was an absolute mess. It had been running for too long, I suppose. So much so that it caused a strange forum glitch where there was a whole invisible page. =/

However, I'm not sure whether we have enough information to have a topic for each version. Whatever, I'll just go with it.

I'm interested to see where Sakurai will take this game. "Personalized"? That's a completely new idea to the Super Smash Bros. franchise. I fear that it has the potential of turning out tacked on, however, from what we know of Sakurai's past games I think that fear may not be reasonable. I was not happy with Super Smash Bros. Brawl, no, but where he put the effort there was quality, whether it was really all of that fun or not.

I'm glad to hear that we can transfer over our characters. I really was hoping that there would be no exclusives if you own both games. I mean the Wii U version should be able to have all characters.

By the way, there is no excuse this time. Isaac (or Matthew) better be playable this time! I could see him being exclusive to the portable at default because that's where Golden Sun games have always been, but I hope he is transferable. I need to see Isaac in HD, with a polished model instead of the crappy AT one he got in Brawl.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
What Sakurai hopes to do is have the 3DS version of Smash Bros. allow players to build up their character through battle and rewards, then take their custom character to the Wii U version to face off against everyone. He feels it could be nice if they can make the "personal" portable space and the stadium-like "public" console space mesh together.

Iwata summed it the basic idea nicely: players would spend time on the 3DS version, building up their character and collecting stuff, then show off their skills on the Wii U version.
this is just a concept he is thinking up and isn't official... though i get the feeling this is what we will get.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I'm guessing that Sakurai will base his original ideas in the 3DS version of the game, while I'm not totally hyped about the lack of the traditional implementing, being able to have a customizable character going up against the Wii-U community sure looks like it's going to be alot of fun.

Even with it's processing limitatons, it looks like the 3DS version will have it's set fun and exciting controls.

:phone:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Customizable characters really scares me. This is a fighting game, not Pokemon. Maybe if they did something where the leveled up characters are a separate mode (like BlazBlue's unlimited characters) that has nothing to do with balance, I'd be ok.

BSP

Smash Legend
I hate to say this when we still don't know much, but personalized doesn't sound good to me. Smash is supposed to focus on the multiplayer experience so making it personalized makes me fear more Subspace esque junk (IMO)

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Customizable characters could be interesting. We'll have to see how he does it. It could be just really really simple things, minor adjustments to characters.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Alright, I'm a bit confused... these "customizable characters..." What exactly are they? It seems like they could be totally original characters that have customizable appearances, moves, and add-ons. Maybe you can customize a Mii and transfer it to the WiiU game. Or, maybe you can customize the features, moves, and add-ons of existing characters (example: Put a Dr.'s uniform on Mario making him Dr. Mario, trading his fireballs out for mega-vitamins, etc.).

It's easy to understand what the plan is, but what exactly are these "customizable characters?"

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I hate to say this when we still don't know much, but personalized doesn't sound good to me. Smash is supposed to focus on the multiplayer experience so making it personalized makes me fear more Subspace esque junk (IMO)

There are plenty of competitive multiplayer games with personalization.

They are called builds in those games, and those builds are put in "Cookie Cutter" format and ranked in tiers

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
When I heard that the Wii U and 3DS is going to interact the first thing I thought was custom rooster and levels. I don't know how this would work with memory storage or programming but you would have a smaller rooster and level setting and you select characters and levels from your Wii U and transfer them in. Then you can go battle other people and go against their rooster and levels. It allows smash to be portable and with 3D effects.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
a year ago, i had mentioned customizable characters, but did anyone read what i had to say? nooo... now look what we are facing...

also... i would much rather speculate on the 3DS version as there are way too many dumb <expletive deleted> at the SSBU discussion. i can handle fast discussions but when half of the posts are moronic debates of so and so, well, i can't get my point across easily.

@BSP... yes, fear it! or look forward to it.

Zombiesarecool

Smash Cadet
Customizable characters really scares me. This is a fighting game, not Pokemon. Maybe if they did something where the leveled up characters are a separate mode (like BlazBlue's unlimited characters) that has nothing to do with balance, I'd be ok.
Since when could you customize in Pokemon, cause I'd be interested in playing that game? I think you mean ModNation.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Since when could you customize in Pokemon, cause I'd be interested in playing that game? I think you mean ModNation.
I think he's referring to IV/EV spreads, using different personalities to different effects, and picking moves to have different uses.

Two pokemon could be the same species, but that doesn't mean they act the same if you use it right

D

Deleted member

Here we are. Just yesterday, we learn that Super Smash Bros. 4 is going to happen. Needless to say, I am beyond excited, I absolutely can't wait for this game to release as I'm sure it'll be great. And as a Super Smash Bros. Fan, I will make sure to at least get one version of SSB4, which is the Wii-U version. I still may get the 3DS version depending on how well that game turns out.

I'm glad that both the 3DS and Wii-U versions will be different. I think they'll work best if they are separated as they can work to what the team wants them to do instead of trying to merge the two versions together. Either way, I'm expecting fantastic things from both versions. The Smash franchise is huge and from these two games, it has only gotten even larger.

I think the game will come out sometimes in 2014 since it takes awhile for the game to get set-up and that a triple A game takes longer to make then previous generations.

Most of my posting will go on the Wii-U version, although I may post on the 3DS version from time to time since naturally, I care more about the Wii-U version.

Some thoughts regarding the 3DS version.

- While the Super Smash Bros. Paradise rumor has been deconfirmed, I think we may see something in alike to it's somewhat comical nature. I would also expect the series to take a slightly less take in this installment.

- I'm expecting somewhere between 20-30 characters in the game. Since the game can't fit in as much as the Wii-U version and that Sakurai is trying to include better balance, this is something we should expect.

- As such, many characters will probably be omitted from the game. For example, Earthbound characters. If one stays, it's probably going to be Lucas because he has a handheld installment where as Ness does not. However, obviously popular ones like Mario, Link, and Kirby will stay, although there's a slight chance that we may get Toon Link instead of Link in this case.

- Characters added to the game will very likely favor major characters like handheld. That means characters like Issac are likely to show up as newcomer.

- I doubt that we'll see much activity from third-party companies if any. We'll either get nothing or just one playable third-party character, which will be either Snake, Sonic, or Mega Man Volnutt (In likeliness from least likely to most likely).

- As the description said, I think we'll see more of a focus on single-player then multi-player. Stuff like SSE has a very good chance of occurring again as a result. There will be it's famous multi-player, but I'm not expecting online multi-player, however fun that would be.

- I've seen quite a few people ask for customizable characters in SSB, so maybe that's why we're getting them. It's not horrible, but it doesn't feel right to me.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If they are going to add character customization in smash bros, it would make much more sense for the wii-u game and the 3DS game to have the same amount of characters. If the 3DS version can't hold that many characters, than don't expect a huge roster on the Wii-U

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Ahh I like the slower pace in this thread, feels more like the home I've enjoyed for the past year.

As far as customization is concerned I'm not quite sure what this entails? Is it going to be an expansion of the sticker concept we saw in the Subspace Emmisary? Is it going to be actual characters like Mii or something? Many possibilities right now.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
pokemon aren't custom? really?

okay, so let's say you have a hitmonchan in your party. in your backpack, you have TMs!! oh mah gawd!! now, which do you think you would rather put on your hitmonchan... a fire punch or a mega punch? (note: you didn't buy the ice punch or the thunderpunch... you ran out on cash).

Fire Punch is 100% accuracy... but 75 power and 15 PP.
Mega Punch is 80 power and 20 PP... but 85% accuracy.

despite fire punch dealing with 100% accuracy, you would prefer the mega punch because you are relatively power hungry at heart. not to mention you equip Wide Lens to increase your accuracy.

okay now... explain how the basic fabrics of pokemon doesn't have customization?

i for one want this in the next smash but my logic side says we get stickers for customization instead. boooo....

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
pokemon aren't custom? really?

okay, so let's say you have a hitmonchan in your party. in your backpack, you have TMs!! oh mah gawd!! now, which do you think you would rather put on your hitmonchan... a fire punch or a mega punch? (note: you didn't buy the ice punch or the thunderpunch... you ran out on cash).

Fire Punch is 100% accuracy... but 75 power and 15 PP.
Mega Punch is 80 power and 20 PP... but 85% accuracy.

despite fire punch dealing with 100% accuracy, you would prefer the mega punch because you are relatively power hungry at heart. not to mention you equip Wide Lens to increase your accuracy.

okay now... explain how the basic fabrics of pokemon doesn't have customization?

i for one want this in the next smash but my logic side says we get stickers for customization instead. boooo....
Hitmonlee learns plenty of normal and fighting moves, mega punch is worthless. Not to mention that fire attacks are very useful to have in the normal gameplay of pokemon, filled with forests everywhere. Ice punch would have been even better

Edit: In pokemon white, I went through the forest area with a bug pokemon and grass pokemon as my strongest. I can tell you right now that was not fun

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Oh goodness, this game could be great if it had a reminicent feel of SSB64, but the whole customizable content makes me sick to my stomach. I hope they don't mean customizable characters. . .

SSB3DS/SSBWiiU make me so nervous. So much potential to be awesome, but 50x's more potential to be a fail.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Hitmonlee learns plenty of normal and fighting moves, mega punch is worthless. Not to mention that fire attacks are very useful to have in the normal gameplay of pokemon, filled with forests everywhere. Ice punch would have been even better
that wasn't the point. and i was really directed at Zombie.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
I pray to God that the feature will give you the infinite replay. Not this crummy under 3 minute rule that you can record.

Zombiesarecool

Smash Cadet
AR cards

I have a feeling that Sakurai put AR cards in Kid Icarus as a way of Beta Testing this for Smash 3DS.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Sounds a lot like Dissidia: Final Fantasy, which was a fighting game with leveling up & equipment customization. The kind of things I could imagine being in the game:

-Sticker augmentation from SSE now applied to all modes.

-Multiple options for special moves. I.E. a character has 2-3 different ^B moves & the player selects the one he wants to use. Same goes for B, >B, vB & FS.

-Cosmetic changes. Unlock costume parts so your Mario looks different from any other player's Mario.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
-Cosmetic changes. Unlock costume parts so your Mario looks different from any other player's Mario.
This sounds cool. I would like this. But, I'm no fan of stickers, or interchangable moves.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
No online play?
I extreme dissapoint !

Now, I wouldn't jump to the conclusions just yet. Remember, these are only rumours and remembar what Nintendo said about "expanding their online Multiplayer"

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
But, I'm no fan of stickers, or interchangable moves.
It's what Dissidia did so that's what I got to go on.

No online play?
I extreme dissapoint !
That's not confirmed yet. Just that it's more essential for a handheld game to have a strong single player component. Like how Mario Kart DS had the missions & bosses. It still had online.

MiniMushroom

Smash Rookie
Let's say I am using Fox in my 3DS version and I obtain three different guns: one that shoots fast but does little damage, one that shoots medium speed and does medium damage, and one that shoots slow but does a lot of damage. In the Wii U version, I will be able to choose which gun I want for battle.

I would guess that they might have the experience characters as a separate mode. You can play regular Wii U SSB or you can choose Experience mode where you can use your 3DS-decked out characters to battle.

I hope that there are weapons, items, or power-ups that are obviously the best for every category. Although I think that the experience idea by linking a handheld version is long overdue, I feel that tournament play may stick to the regular versions of each character.

I think this will kind of be like stickers, except stickers was a bit of a fail. Good idea, but the stickers only worked on Subspace. I have been searching for a "best of" sticker guide that has every character and which sticker combination is the best and how to arrange them so they all fit, but I haven't found one. For years, stickers seemed to me like an obvious hotly debated topic in the Smash world, but I rarely see anyone debate a good sticker combination for any character. Maybe I'm missing it. Is it too late to get a sweet sticker guide started?

Dsc

Smash Ace
Now, I wouldn't jump to the conclusions just yet. Remember, these are only rumours and remembar what Nintendo said about "expanding their online Multiplayer"
That's not confirmed yet. Just that it's more essential for a handheld game to have a strong single player component. Like how Mario Kart DS had the missions & bosses. It still had online.
i extreme understand !

D

Deleted member

PsychoIncarnate said:
If they are going to add character customization in smash bros, it would make much more sense for the wii-u game and the 3DS game to have the same amount of characters. If the 3DS version can't hold that many characters, than don't expect a huge roster on the Wii-U
I believe that both versions will be different enough to where they play at their own strength and be separately enjoyable. It's not going to affect either of the games too much in a negative way.
Starphoenix said:
As far as customization is concerned I'm not quite sure what this entails? Is it going to be an expansion of the sticker concept we saw in the Subspace Emmisary? Is it going to be actual characters like Mii or something? Many possibilities right now.
I wouldn't be surprise if they are Mii's, but then again, they would also make sense on the Wii-U, so both version may get it. Then again, he exclusively mentions custom characters for the 3DS, so it's a chance that we could build our own characters.
CHOMPY said:
I understand where you're coming from, but since he's saying this will focus more on the single-player aspect, I wouldn't get my hopes up for online mulit-player.

allengator

Smash Rookie
I am going to see if I can be more involved with the discussion of the upcoming Smash Bros. games on here. When Iwata announced it was coming out for both consoles I cried manly tears of joy. I can't wait to see what is in store for us and also fear the things that will make the community cringe.

The 3DS version is probably going to feel more like a mix of Subspace Emissary and Kid Icarus Uprising, with more of a focus on single player than with multiplayer. More than likely a wireless multiplayer battle mode will be available (I mean c'mon, one of the main draws of Smash is to kick the snot out of your friends) like Mario Kart DS offered, but online play could go either way. I just hope if there is online, that it handles better than Brawl's does.

As far as customization, as others are speculating, I hope that it is just applied to the single player modes and not the multiplayer ones. Something similar to the stickers in Brawl might be the answer, but who knows at this point. It will be quite a while before we hear any more details on either game.

One thing I wondered it that based on a quick research break I took, Gamecube (Melee) games had a storage capacity of 1.4 GB and Wii Discs (Brawl) are 8.54 GB (I'm assuming since Brawl was on a dual layer disc that it is more than the 4.7 GB single layer). I'm not saying the games themselves are these sizes, but it gives a vague idea of the limitations of each title as far as content goes. With the supposed capacity of the 3DS cart being 2 GB right now with rumored 4-8 GB, it makes me wonder what kind of game we will have as far as content goes. I have no idea how accurate these numbers are, but I will be basing my assumptions on those numbers unless someone else can show me other numbers. I'm not saying that it will be as or have more depth than melee, keeping in mind the 3D programming and possible touch screen items, but it is something I am keeping in mind to keep my expectations at a level where I won't expect too much from the title.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I think Sakurai has forgotten what smash is about. Smash is a multi-player game, a fighting game to some, but also a party game to others. I pray that they keep true to the classic formula and keep it a true smash game.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I kinda hope this is more single player based, and they leave that trash out of the real version of Smash 4 (Wii U). SSE was god awful, and wasted everyone's time.

I am interested in Sakurai's "more like the original Smash Bros." comment, though...

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Don't worry people, Wireless play still exists for a reason.

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
I really want more emphasis on the single player part of smash bros for the 3ds with a solid, basic but not primitive multiplayer part (it should be fun nonetheless). There won't be many people with a 3ds who I know (probably only one: me), so if it's like the original or melee, it's fine. I can play against CPU characters forever, so I don't mind. But it doesn't have to have thousands of different modes and specials. The graphic doesn't need to be huge and rich on details. Just a few characters, a few items, a few basic stages. Like Smash64. I don't need fancy character models, complex modes, exploding mind blowing stages (I look at you Starfox world).

But the Single player mode should not be like SSE (except Bossfights). I don't need and want a huge crazy story mode with annoyingly long levels. I want it to be an arcade game. You pick up the 3DS for 5 to 20 minutes, feel completely satisfied in that time and turn off the device. Maybe just short jump'n'run'n'beat'em up levels, with an occasional boss at the end.

oh, and the AR feature should totally be included, just for the fact, that I want many many cards with Nintendo characters on it. And let them be usable without the 3ds as well... like them being some sort of Nintendo quartet or something

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I actually kind of liked SSE, but it felt like it was missing something.

Thino

Smash Master
the only thing I'm worried about with this version of the game as opposed to the WiiU version.. is the use of the stylus , I hope it wont be an "important" part of the gameplay other than that I think I'm fine with Smash being on a handheld too

I hope they wont put the camera too 1P style in multiplayer tho

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Just a thought.

I think this version might be the single player one. Perhaps it will be like the Subspace Emissary where you fight and power up your character. There will probably also be a co-op mode.

It's like 2005 all over again. Man, has it been that long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom