• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balloon Blast Matchup Thread #9 - Olimar [Expires ♡♪!?]

Sails

Smash Ace

:troll:

It is important that you read this! Every first post by a user in a Matchup Thread is encouraged to have at least a couple of sentences of information, alongside a ratio. Posts may not be considered for ratio and summary solidifying without these from the poster at some point in the thread, and keeping them towards the beginning helps keep discussion tidy. You have two weeks to share information that you feel is helpful in the Matchup, as well as debate with others. Compelling arguments are a must people, I expect any joking and trolls to be at a minimum.

Ideas for discussion...

-Both Characters Ground/Air Game Against Each Other-
-Moves To Avoid And How To Avoid Them-
-Diddy's Moves To Utilize In The Matchup-
-Personal Strategies To Help With The Matchup-
-Stage Discussion For Starters, Counterpicks, And Bans-

Note: This Matchup has been discussed in the past. If you wish to pull content from previous discussions that are still relevant in the current Metagame, then feel free to do so. This includes posts that are both yours and not yours.

Player-1

Smash Legend
This is my most disliked MU, but not because I'm bad at it because it's so ****ing boring. All olimar does it throw pikmin at you and then smash/grab when you get close and stuff....sooo boring.

Anyway in this MU, I like to go aggro for the first part of the game. I try to get a good percent lead which is kind of easy if you get the first hit because both characters can get a lot of momentum going off of just one hit against the other. After I have a pretty good lead I like to z-drop>nair catch a banana that way I hold a banana while using nair to keep the pikmin off and I basically just camp this way until the olimar approaches. Olimar is kind of forced to approach this way. Olimar gets damage on you, but it takes a long time to start building up which is why I like to get a solid lead over olimar. Once Olimar approaches you just wreck him with the bananas. If you have to approach then try to approach from an angle since Olimar can best punish straight vertical and straight horizontal for the most part. This makes diddy's side-b fairly good in this MU as long as you aren't dumb with it. You HAVE to figure out the Olimar's pattern for punishing your side-b and adapt to it because you have tons of options. Side-b grab, side-b kick, side-b > midair jump >banana throw, etc. None of Olimar's options can counter all of the side-b options at once so it's important you figure the Olimar out.

As for stages, I usually ban Halberd in this MU. YI, Lylat, Frigate if you don't like it, and Siege are all good stages for Olimar in this MU too. For CPs, I choose FD, RC SV, or Picto if it's legal

Kantrip

Kantplay
Olimar can outcamp you unless you have a percent lead as P-1 described. Since my techskill and control are still relatively low, I like to play around just outside his pikmin throw range (pretty flippin' far) for a while, and then when I feel ready I rush all at once and go super aggro. There is no in between against Olimar. You're either racking up damage or you're nowhere near him.

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
Oh not this MU. _v_

Stay at a distance where his grabs, Fair, and Fsmash won't reach you and wait till he comes to you but don't be so far that he can get away with camping and penetrate him when he's thrown at least half of his minions. Side-B is ****ing good in this MU but don't use it to jump into an Fsmash or Usmash, or that you get too predictable with it and he starts reading it to grab you. Bair wall if he wants to be a fgt and tries to get away to camp. I don't really think Uair is all that useful but Usmash and Uair can get pikmin off your naner. And of course use throws and Fair a lot to gimp. Also, Dtilt for Olifgts that like to abuse spotdodge>Dsmash/Usmash. :I

Stages to ban would be the ones P1 posted +PS1 and BF. As for CPs: FD, SV, Delfino, or PS1 if you're comfortable on that stage. xI

Vega4

Smash Ace
I don't get why you would ever ban BF or PS1
You got ***** all the time on PS1, I don't get why you would ever play there. You even lost there with shi*** ****** non-evolved characters like squirtle :reverse:
:troll:

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
WC suks .
I beat rich brown :)

When playing this MU, I try to find openings when he is spamming his pikmin. If he spams them on the ground, wait for the pikmin that get thrown in an arc shape. That way they go over you and you can punish him with a banana. If he throws the pikmin in the air, it is best punish with Diddy's dash attack. Try to keep him above you as long as possible since there is very little he can do in that position. Killing in this MU is very hard (unless you get a gimp). When playing on the ground, try not to force the kill as this might get you killed instead.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Which color is the pikmin that is thrown in an arc shape?

:phone:
Yellow for sure. you can also punish the grounded spam with a short hop banana throw but it won't combo into anything and you must rely on tech chases to rack up damage

Vega4

Smash Ace
Thanks for the info. This a hard match-up, all the info that you guys can give is wellcome.

BTW, where tha hell are Gnes and ADHD? I now for sure that they read these topics in Diddy's forum at least one time every day, so, why you guys haven't gave advises in these match-ups (DDD, ZSS, Olimar...)?
Seriously, you two are best Diddys in country (prob the world), and like uncle Ben said: With great power comes great responsibility.
So you little spidermen, come and give us advises !!
xD

Player-1

Smash Legend
I beat rich brown :)
what does that have to do with WC sucking? You're both WC *******. And lol at killing olimar is hard, not really he dies at 90 since he's always camping the edges of the stage and you just fsmash him.

@Vega. Stop D-riding ADHD and Gnes. "Oh where are my pimps ADHD and gnes, I need them to hold my hand and give me advice and st00f cuz i suck."

FYI ADHD sucks at giving advice. I asked him about the TL MU once and he said "Oh, just keep running right at him until it works, even if he is spamming projectiles at you."

Count

Smash Champion
Yeah his oli advice is "don't get grabbed" gnes gives good advice though.

I am trying to contribute to the mus I'm confident in :)

Thanks for the writeups p1 and Jebus. Helpful.

:phone:

Player-1

Smash Legend
Yeah gnes gives good advice. Just read my MU summary because it's basically what gnes told me since he's the one that taught me the MU

Vega4

Smash Ace
what does that have to do with WC sucking? You're both WC *******. And lol at killing olimar is hard, not really he dies at 90 since he's always camping the edges of the stage and you just fsmash him.

@Vega. Stop D-riding ADHD and Gnes. "Oh where are my pimps ADHD and gnes, I need them to hold my hand and give me advice and st00f cuz i suck."

FYI ADHD sucks at giving advice. I asked him about the TL MU once and he said "Oh, just keep running right at him until it works, even if he is spamming projectiles at you."
You are just jealous 'cause I said they are #1 :p Alright, you are my #1 and my only pimp of course <3

PD: I just wrote that 'cause lately they don't write here too often...

BTW, did you see the set of Gnes vs Razer in Hom2 (may 2011)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsAVBJy-4aQ

He is playing too good...

DFEAR

Smash Hero
im the only diddy who has pika zss ness d3 random matchup exp fyi : ]

Gnes

Smash Master
Sorry i've been busy. Life has literally been one punch after another.

Vega you can trust p1 and count. I've talked to both of them about some of these matchups and they'll for the most part they say exactly what I would say. Also thanks for the compliment, HOM2 felt like mlg/ktar for me. Hopefully i can keep it up. I'm not consistent at all :(.

They key to beating oli s getting in his zone, You cant just camp him and expect to win. One of his key blindspots is behind him. Every Oli i've played (and I've played them all, literally, even brood) have always chosen either to roll, spotdodge, or d-smash. Each of which are easily punishable. Also, Oli is fairly easy to juggle, Just coordinate your bananas in the air with aerials and thats where majority of your damage should come from.

It also helps alot if you keep track of what color pikmin they have. If they have blue, most likely gonna grab, white there gonna throw it, purple for up smash(if they grab its a easy wiggle out), and red/yellow for pretty much all purposes. Invinci-dropping naners on them is pretty **** also. But thats very situational.

Your objective vs oli should be to get inside and get him to the edges of the stage. If you have the urge to camp, wait till you have a stock lead, anything else won't be sufficient

Vega4

Smash Ace
Thanks for the advises Gnes :)
Life is always hard, we have to deal with it.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I've played them all, literally, even brood
You've only played me in Doubles. :3

Asked for friendlies at HoM2, but forgot to remind you later. I wouldn't have learned anything anyway, I was playing like crap at that one.
Do you plan on attending the August circuit event?

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
i barely post in diddy boards, but I was playing this MU today so I think i'll throw in some 2 cents.

Olimars tend to get tense when you are up close and personal, and this is good, but if you mess up you'll take a lot of damage. Try to go in, do some nice damage and get out: a hit and run strategy in other words.
It's also good to just sit back and camp, and do mix up with your nanas. If they trip, go in and capitalize.

Don't go running in from ahead unless you're punishing and you know you'll get a hit, you'll get hit hard. Olimar can easily punish you with smashes or grabs. If you get them in the air, try to keep them in the air, they are quite vulnerable.

Gimping is always good, but it is hard to do on a good olimar. a good peanut shot can gimp them though. Another thing that I found useful is to go out with them and start charging your up-b. As long as they don't go for the spike, they are left in a very bad position. If they hit you with fair, etc. you don't need to worry that much as you can't get stage spike because of up-b. If you see that they will go for the ledge, just launch off and take the ledge. If you time it right, they will miss the ledge with their up-b.

If they get a hold of the banana and hold onto it, go at them from their diagonals. Because they are holding a banana, even if you make a mistake, they won't be able to do a painful punish because of the banana.

Try not to get grabbed at 0%. That grab->upsmash/fair, is painful.

thats all I can think about right now.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Why does every character try to hit him [olimar] in the air [above the normal stage]? They're just gonna whistle and punish you, chase them from the ground and grab them and throw them so they're back in the air. Obviously mix it up since they're gonna start using aerials to the ground and b reversing and junk..

Zinoto

Smash Lord
I noticed that the hiatus has been going on for a good while now and I usually come here for MU advice. No one's posted a solid ratio for the MU in this discussion, what do you all think it is? Personally, I think Diddy has a slight advantage over Olimar (+1 Diddy) because Diddy can abuse Oli well when he's in the air, but I like P1's comment about how 1-hit can make a difference for both characters (Oli grab at low percents can be a good 40% taken). I'd like to see a solid ratio for this thread. :)

Thoughts?

Top Bottom