• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight's New Match Up Thread: Mr. Game and Watch

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605

This has beed said to be the "easiest to explain, harder to do" Matchup, but in the end GnW is very vulnerable to MK.
That's all the input I'll post ATM.

Remember, do not post ratios as they're not really useful.

Also, I couldn't find their MU summary...

NNID
Budget_Player
G&W... I dunno. Up until like, Vinnie level, G&W just sucks against MK. Dtilt, Ftilt, and GSL put together basically shut down all of his options.

Stay grounded as much as possible. Don't try to chase G&W into the air unless he's like right above you where you can just uair him. DO NOT OVERCOMMIT. Going for something greedy like a shuttle loop is begging for a dair.

You do not want to be above G&W. While you aren't helpless, per se, that uair is incredibly irritating. You're going to have trouble getting down. I recommend going far offstage-it's a better position, honestly.

Dtilt and GSL beat bair. Ftilt and GSL beat almost everything. Utilt beats key. Careful though, they can bait the utilt and punish you for it. Usually a well-timed SHUair or even just a shieldgrab/nair OOS is a safer option, but occasionally going for the utilt isn't bad. When you do GSL, get your *** back to the ground as soon as possible. You do NOT want to be stuck high up in the air at the mercy of G&W's uair while stuck in a glide (or worse, specialfall). Similarly, don't tornado. No, seriously, just don't do it. It's just really bad in this matchup. Like, "I will be punished on hit 99% of the time unless I do it absolutely flawlessly and even then about 50% of the time" bad.

Killing G&W... I've had a lot of success with Fsmash, especially as a ledge trap, but also just baiting. What hasn't worked so well is dsmash (G&W has very nasty punishes on block, and you don't want to get grabbed in this matchup). Glide attack... Remember what I said above; gliding is really dumb in this matchup. GSL is likely to be very stale... Keep bair and nair fresh, that's my advice. And don't forget that tipper utilt is a really good kill move-if they get too greedy with the dair, utilt will kill them around 120 (?) or so fresh. But just remember what you always have to remember here: don't get greedy. If you have to, just keep racking damage with tilts and GSL. Even fully staled GSL kills at some point.

...Yeah, that's basically all I know about the matchup, but it's pretty much enough. It's all about reaction time and playing stupidly safe and patient. This is a matchup you win by being reactionary and zoning perfectly. All there really is to it. Try not to lose the lead.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
UpB can launch up nado while G&W is on the ground, without him getting hit. Uair ***** all of MK's specials. Dthrow > Dair > regrab is legit if MK misses the tech.

/basics

K@0S

Smash Ace
Space ftilts. Your best move here. Mix up a bit with dtilts

Don't get hit by smashes and try to avoid his fair. G&W should have a very hard time killing MK

Don't nado, or he up-b and gets a free full refresh on his moves (the pushing hitbox on his uair does that) + a free hit/smash/lucky side-b

Don't try to punish his smashes if you shielded them, that's asking for a dtilt

Don't get grabbed (G&W's grab range is bad, it's not that hard)

Don't glide, nair beats it 100%

When G&W is in the air, don't jump too high and try to bait an airdodge or an aerial (mix-up with up-b if he sees what you're doing and doesn't react) . If he dair, land fast and up-b or walk away to dash grab; if you shield it, don't forget it hits twice (once in the air, once on the ground), then punish with shieldgrab or up-b oos.

His rolls are really easy to punish, just dash grab or dash attack; because of that most G&Ws prefer to up-b oos to an auto fastfall aerial. It's harder to punish, but you can up-b or uair before the aerial comes out

Kill with up-b (he can't bucket brake it) or dsmash if he's at high %

popsofctown

Smash Champion
what? Why is everyone saying "don't get grabbed"? He doesn't tech chase that well, and you shouldn't be missing that tech, it's easy to learn. Go get grabbed 30 times in practice, you'll never miss the tech again. (small exaggeration, I miss it maybe 15% of the time. By game 2 or 3 of the same set even better.)

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
If he does tech chase you though, it can net him a kill, tech or no tech.

Just sayin'

Quick note, Kaos said G&W can't bucket brake UpB...And he's pretty much right, getting hit vertically gives G&W much less time to Bucket brake, but it is possible.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Why would you want to get grabbed at all. Getting grabbed by GAW still limits your options.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Tech away shield and tech away downtilt are safe from killing, or at least tech away shield for sure. He might regrab, but then you can make him guess which way you'll tech again.. You can get out sooner or later without risking death.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Tech away shield and tech away downtilt are safe from killing, or at least tech away shield for sure. He might regrab, but then you can make him guess which way you'll tech again.. You can get out sooner or later without risking death.
No they aren't.

K@0S

Smash Ace
Pretty sure G&W can buffer a dash usmash against MK if he reads the techroll

Or walk to sweetspot dsmash, or buffer a dash to fair/nair

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Dash Usmash will hit MK if he reads the techroll.

Also, on small platforms, like Battlefields or Pokemon Stadium's, Dsmash will sweetspot if MK tech rolls, if he doesn't, sourspot dsmash hits.

NNID
Budget_Player
That reminds me... If you're getting uair juggled by G&W, save your jumps unless you need them to avoid the "real" hits and just go offstage. He can't follow you far enough to stop you from getting back onstage, be it via outsmarting him at the ledge or just scrooging.

FireFly

Smash Lord
G&W isn't all that bad in this matchup until he loses a big lead/momentum. Vex liked to go off stage with key and keep MK in the air with uair.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
That reminds me... If you're getting uair juggled by G&W, save your jumps unless you need them to avoid the "real" hits and just go offstage. He can't follow you far enough to stop you from getting back onstage, be it via outsmarting him at the ledge or just scrooging.
Or just down b at the right time. Gliding away and that bs is completely unnecessary.

Top Bottom