• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashing Grounds to the Future! 2

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Singles 31 Entrants

1. Kels
2. Atma
3. Tink
4. Sveet
5. Dart
5. The Good Doctor
7. Rat
7. Metroid
9. ORLY
9. Looshkin
9. Hore
9. Hindawg
13. Leo
13. Kev
13. Zero
13. Eric
17. Gem
17: Saucey
17: Toya
17: Adam
17: Jawanga
21: Jackmaster
21: Zimo
21: Yazz
21: Special K
25: Godly
25: Burt busdriver
25: KK
25: Patrick
29: Dan
29: Mitch

Doubles 8 Entrants
1. Tink & Atma
2. Orly & Rat
3. Dart & Sveet
4. Metroid & Saucey
5. Adam & mitch
5. Eric & Zimo
7. Dan & Kev
7. Burt & Jack

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Bracket images coming soon, vids will be uploaded during the week. Busy for the next 24 hours or so.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Good **** to Sveet for taking out Kels in winners, I was shocked to hear about it on my car ride back from Pittsburgh, haha.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Thanks a lot for making this thread and hosting this tourney, Sveet, it was awesome! I'll post shout-outs tomorrow.

EDIT: K, shout-outs now!

1. Kels - Good **** getting 1st after getting sent to Loser's so early! Thanks for giving me advice against Dart's Falcon, I really should just be less flashy and stick to what's guaranteed.
2. Atma - It was great to meet you and great job getting 2nd! It's sad that we never played friendlies, I hope we meet again someday!
3. Tink - Thanks for not going Sheik in doubles, haha. Again, I really have to play friendlies with you, it's been way too long >.>. I don't think I'll be able to make it to the next Smashing Grounds, but we'll see about the one after that.
4. Sveet - GREAT JOB BEATING KELS, I'M SO SAD THAT IT WASN'T RECORDED!!!!!!!!!! But again, thanks for hosting such an awesome tournament, I had a lot of fun! Good games in Pools, I'll try to make you work even harder next time :p.
5. Dart - It's sad to hear that you don't want to come to these anymore, but it was a ton of fun playing friendlies and pool matches with you. Your Pichu is unstoppable, bring him to Genesis and destroy some people!
5. The Good Doctor - Man, your platform game is scary, I think I'll avoid going there next time >.>. Great games in bracket and the money match, I'm glad I made you work for that dollar in the end :p. Sorry that the matches couldn't be recorded though, I'll make sure that the camera is working next time.
7. Rat - Awesome Samus man, I'm so glad I finally got to play you. I'll need to get more familiar with that match-up before I can beat you!
7. Metroid - What a scrub.
9. ORLY - You better stay a Falcon main, at least until I can go even with him >.>. I'm sad that we seem to never get a lot of friendlies in... I gotta hunt you down harder next time.
9. Looshkin - That Ganon ditto was too fun man, great stuff! What a troll Wizard's Boot for the last stock lol. Awesome job beating ORLY in pools!
9. Hore - Another person I regret not getting friendlies in with :(. It was great to see you again, we definitely have to sit down and play some next time!
9. Hindawg - Awesome matches in friendlies and bracket man, I've never felt that excited over Melee before! If you're curious, matches 1 and 2 are uploaded. Again, great matches and it was good seeing you, I hope we play again next time!
13. Leo - Good job getting out of pools! Stop suiciding on the last stock of our matches so they can be even more epic :p. It was great to see you again, I'm glad we got to play both friendlies and in tournament!
13. Kev - Good **** getting out of pools at your first tournament! We better meet up and play during the school year :).
17. Gem - It was nice to meet you, I'm sad we didn't get to play friendlies though. It's a shame that you didn't make bracket, you really should've this time :(. We'll play each other next time!
17: Saucey - Great job in teams man, you were tanking in those matches against the top 3! I have to stop stealing your stocks >.>. Mad props for beating Looshkin, I'm sorry that I didn't watch the whole thing!
17: Toya - Good stuff in pools man, I had a lot of fun playing you there and in friendlies as well! You're right, I really do need to go to Smashfests more often... hopefully I can shake off my parents next time.
21: Jackmaster - I hope you're the Jack that goes to U of I, otherwise you can disregard this... but good games in friendlies and teams, it was a lot of fun! We didn't really get to play singles friendlies, but I hope to meet you again so we can!
21: Special K - Sucks that you had to be with Kels again haha, I think you've played him more than I have now :p.
25: Burt busdriver - I'm sorry that I didn't recognize you as Jack's Doubles partner! Good games though, it was fun to meet you and play you in both singles and doubles!
25: KK - You gotta play with us more, then you can destroy Patrick and Kevin :p.
25: Patrick - Sorry that I never got to play with you much, but it was great meeting you! Hopefully we'll see each other again at another Smashing Grounds, but if not, then good luck at Rice!
29: Dan - It was awesome to finally meet you in person after corresponding through Facebook so much! We'll definitely get something going during the school year and the remainder of the summer :).

UC group (Mitch, Adam, Zimo, and Eric) - It was awesome to meet you guys! I'm glad there's a Smash scene down there, I thought the fun would be dead :p. If you guys are staying in Illinois for the summer, we should definitely try meeting up again! PM me if you guys want to get something going :).

Anyone I played friendlies with and failed to mention - Great games to all of you, I had a ton of fun and you guys were a huge part of my experience!

One last shout-out to Sveet for hosting this tournament - thanks for doing this, it's a lot of work and I really appreciate it!

ORLY

Smash Master
i'm not really a falco main

falcon is too powerful

and good **** sveet

FluxWolf

Smash Lord
So this is the real reason tink and kels dipped out on brainshock LOL damn dudes i could of just came here but i went to fuxing iowa cuz i thought my boy tink was gonna be there!

sveet you were so good the last time i played you at smym or somethiin, i am not surprised at all to see that dude on the rise lol any vids coming of this tourney?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Thanks everybody :D Kels went falco game 1 and fox game 2 when i won. He beat me in losers semis with pure fox, though, that guy is seriously good lol. @Rat & LE, Can I be ranked next period please?

Bracket image is going to be another paper scan; coming soon. Vids havent even been touched but they are a high priority.

Tec0 got me really really drunk and I had work at 6:30 am. I woke up (late) and was still drunk. Drove to work anyways but got sent home early (<3 my store). Just getting out of bed now, this is one of the worst hangovers i've ever had. Between the two of us we drank a bottle of SoCo and half a bottle of captain.....

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
Not that it matters, but I think my placing is wrong. I asked jack when we left and he said he 2-0'd one guy and lost 1-2 on one and 0-2 the rest. I 2-0'd two guys. But again, it doesn't matter in the slightest whether I'm 25th or 21st. I had some great matches at this tourney and I definitely learned a lot. Can't wait to see you Chicago area ppl again.

Shoutouts:

Kels - nice job winning. GGs in friendlies where you destroyed me.
Sveet - Thanks for hosting man! I really enjoyed our pools/friendly matches.
Dart - GGs in pools and friendlies. I really appreciate the advice you gave me. And cheering me on against Kels and Mitch. I hope you change your mind about not coming to future smashing grounds tournies. btw, ganon is the only non-hightier matchup i know, my cousin mained ganon for a while, so that's the only reason i have some semblance of an idea how to play against him (nair all day). The rest of your characters destroyed me though.
Rat - your samus is the first legit samus i've ever played. really calculated play, man. i had a tough time dealing with your crouch cancels.
Metroid - good games in pools. I got wrecked. I thought i had improved my marth matchup in recent months, but you put me in my place...
ORLY - Fun times in friendlies. I loved that doubles match where you screamed "FALCON, NO!!!!" and I stomp kneed your sheik.... Your falcon's mad sexy. Hope you ain't serious about switching to the angry bird. I really appreciated the advice you gave me.
Leo - GGs in pools. Your SDs were rather unfortunate but i suppose they didn't matter bc you comboed the **** outta me. I look forward to facing you again.
Toya - Close pools matches. Your marth is mad tough for me. I'll get you next time!
Jack - thanks for driving me, roomie. we'll stop sucking at doubles someday!
Zimo - Our falcon dittos were pretty sexy. Your falcon is getting pretty close to making the next step, I can feel it. Just little things here and there that could have turned the tide in your favor in our matches. I think you should be a little less negative towards yourself during your matches. Often, you saying "crap i can't believe i got hit by that," would lead to a little more confidence on my end, giving me a mental edge in our matches.
Mitch - ggs in singles and doubles. IIRC this was your first smash tourney? hope you had fun and i look forward to seeing you around sometime soon.
Adam - ggs in doubles. it really came down to the wire.

Everyone else i didn't mention - Sorry, this was my first smashing grounds, so i had met like 30+ new people that day. I'll definitely be able to recognize your face if we meet again, but forgive me if I have to ask your name again. I'm sure we had some pretty awesome matches.

Dart!

Smash Master
Not that it matters, but I think my placing is wrong. I asked jack when we left and he said he 2-0'd one guy and lost 1-2 on one and 0-2 the rest. I 2-0'd two guys. But again, it doesn't matter in the slightest whether I'm 25th or 21st. I had some great matches at this tourney and I definitely learned a lot. Can't wait to see you Chicago area ppl again.

Shoutouts:
I'm so glad there are new players that take advice and learn from it! that's what it's there for. I hope to see you and the cadre of players that are showing up. Shoutouts to the young blood <3

on the real though, i have a lot of falcon practice. You were solid in the matchup good stuff and keep it up!

goateeguy

Smash Ace
Shoutouts
1. Kels- Yay! You weren't in my pool for once! (lol).
2. Atma- You've got a helluva sheik. Good stuff
4. Sveet- I saw your set with Kels and it blew my mind o.O Holy crap you’re getting good
5. The Good Doctor- Good to see you, he who shares my first name.
7. Metroid- Nice to meet you. I don’t think I’ve played you yet though…we should fix that.
9. ORLY-NOOOOOO don’t go falco. I <3 your falcon!
9. Looshkin- Thanks for joining my already huge pool late and keeping me out of the bracket, jerk (lol jk). Your Ganon is so tough; no matter how close I get you always pull off the win. Good games!
9. Hore- Hey, me no play you for once. How that happen?
9. Hindawg- You’re clearly improving really fast, I don’t know how long it’ll be before you’re 4-stocking me.
13. Zero- I’m a little salty about that set in pools, but good job nevertheless.
17. Gem- You are a dazzlingly attractive person. If I weren’t you I would marry you.
17: Saucey- I was lucky to take that set in pools. Your Peach frightens me (I have nightmares o.o you float in for a nair and I’m like AAAAHHHH!!!! FSMASH)
17: Jawanga- Didn’t see much of you today. You should come over sometime and show me where your falco’s at.
21: Jackmaster- Good stuff in our set in pools, all the games were close.
25: Godly- Hi Ted!
25: Patrick- Definitely surprising to see you there. Them was good times in gym class last year, weren’t they.
29: Dan- It’s great to see new people coming out to tournaments! It’ll be cool to see how far you can go after you get some more tourney experience. Good games in pools!

Rat

Smash Lord
I hate losing to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (pools) placing people and getting 7th.

Welp I think I have an answer to shiek. The problem isn't her but my frustration. Instead of complaining (or learning faux) I should set more reasonable goals. A goal I've had is to play Dart in tournament. But that goal is not something I can control.
Instead I'll set goals which I have more influence over. Like playing with confidence. Meteor spiking kels. Getting hit by less than 5 needles. Doing that kind of stuff might help.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I think it depends on how many people are in your pool and how many matches you won/lost. There were 2 pools with 7 people, 1 pool with 8 people (our pool), and 1 pool with 9 people, so even if you won the same number of sets as someone in a pool with 7 (or even won more sets, in this case), you can be placed one rank lower because there could be an extra person in our pool separating you guys. This is especially true if person A and person B are in the same pool and have the exact same win/loss record, but person A beat person B in their set, so person A would be ranked above person B. (This is why Leo got 4th seed from our pool and not Toya, I think.)

I'm glad you had fun playing not only me (I had fun as well, thanks for the good games!), but at the tournament as a whole! I'll be looking forward to seeing you and Jack again :).

zDuck

Smash Journeyman

Welp I think I have an answer to shiek. The problem isn't her but my frustration. Instead of complaining (or learning faux) I should set more reasonable goals. A goal I've had is to play Dart in tournament. But that goal is not something I can control.
Instead I'll set goals which I have more influence over. Like playing with confidence. Meteor spiking kels. Getting hit by less than 5 needles. Doing that kind of stuff might help.
don't try to learn fox, you need to keep that character pride
just ****

also binyan we should play soon >.> are you going to the next smashing grounds?

Rat

Smash Lord
don't try to learn fox, you need to keep that character pride
just ****
Here's what's up.

I thought about practicing fox some more. Take eddie's advice: Have 2 characters. Your main and someone to cover your bad match-ups.

The problem is I don't want to be like DJ Nintendo. I don't want to be full of yourself and have none of my characters be any good. Like I don't want to think I'm the ****, but not be. Seems like a recipe for being a douchebag.

I also don't want to use an excuse, like if only I played a better character.

Instead I'll try to set more reasonable goals, and be content with them. Not to say I won't try to **** and try to get better.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Some of the best players in history are/were known for being amazing at their character's worst matchups. Ken vs Sheik, Darkrain vs Sheik, HugS vs Sheik, Axe vs Sheik... wait, I'm noticing a trend here...

YOU CAN DO IT RAT

Dart!

Smash Master

That seems like a wierd goal to me. We haven't played in too long (**** sheik!)

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
in melee I feel that two characters is the standard

i like the idea of fox, rat. but it needs to be less of a "fvck you for counterpicking sheik" and more of a "i genuinely enjoy the fox v sheik matchup."

if it's not the latter you should stay samus

Top Bottom