• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SBR Rating Project Kickoff Event [Peek wins!]

Nintendude

Smash Hero
In conjunction with the announcement of the online ratings project, the SBR will be hosted a rated tournament! Our kickoff event will be round robin style. The first two round will consist of two 4-person pools. The top-2 contestants in each round robin will advance to a second pool of 4, where the winner of the tournament will be determined. The purpose of a round robin style tournament is so more matches are played, increasing the accuracy of the ratings generated from the results.

We regret to announce that at this time, only North American players may participate. If there is enough interest, the SBR can hold events for Europe, South America, and other regions in the future.

This tournament uses the SBR Recommended Ruleset:

Game Settings

Mode: STOCK
Stocks: 5
Handicap: OFF
Team Attack: ON
Stage Select: ON
Damage: 100%
Item Switch: NONE
All Characters Available

Stages

The Starter Stage List consists of Congo Jungle, Hyrule Castle and Dream Land.
The Counterpick Stage List consists of Peach's Castle.

First match of all sets is selected by a 3-stage striking system with the Starter Stage List. An impartial observer/tournament organiser flips a coin to decide who strikes first. Rock-paper-scissors is alright too, but it's technically a skill irrelevant to smash. If this is impossible (online), whoever strikes first will be pre-decided by an RNG.

The 64 Recommended Ruleset uses the stage striking system. In this system, players take turns striking stages from the Starter Stage List until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counterpicked later in the set.

Characters

All characters are legal.

Black DK (Right-C), Dark Samus (Down-C) and Dark Falcon (Right-C) are discouraged if Congo Jungle is the stage for visibility reasons. The opposing player may reset the match without penalty if they wish for a colour change. Taking or dealing any damage nullifies this right.

Low Tiers are all characters in B tier and below: Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Jigglypuff, Ness, Luigi, Samus and Link.

Set Procedure
Players select characters for first match. Double Blind Picks may be called.
Players strike stages.
The first match is played.
The loser of the previous match selects the next match's stage from the Starter Stage and Counterpick Stage Lists.
The winner of the previous match selects their character.
The loser of the previous match selects their character.
The next match is played.
Above four steps are repeated if necessary.
Sets are best of 5

Sign-ups start now! Please use the following format:

Name:
Kaillera name (if different):
Contact info:
Availability:

SIGNUPS ARE CLOSED!

[collapse="Round 1 pools"]

[/collapse]

[collapse="Final Round"]

[/collapse]

[collapse="Entrant Contact Information"]
Surri-Sama
MSN - surrismash@hotmail.com
AIM - surrisama
Availability: Most of the time...

Nova
Contact info: msn: gavinmac@yahoo.com, aim: gvngm10@aol.com, smashboards pm
Availability: everyday after 12pm EST

Star King
Contact info: Smashboards PM; I check very often
Availability: 8 AM - 10 PM EST, nearly every day. I lag sometimes in the night though

Battlecow
Smashboards PM
I'm on during afternoons generally, it varies a lot.

$N@K3
Contact info: PM me here, snak3ssb@hotmail.com

Peek~
Contact info: Smashboards PM or msn: peek824545201@hotmail.com
Availability: Most days after 1 pm Pacific

clubba22
Contact info: PM me on smashboards
Availability: Weekday nights, Weekend afternoons
Availability: weekdays after 2:00 pm, weekends: varies.

JaimeHR
Contact info: [MSN]JaimeHR.SsB@gmail.com, [AIM]JaimeHR3
Availability: Monday - Friday 1:00 PM to 10:00 PM, Saturday and Sunday all day most likely
[/collapse]

The Star King

Smash Hero
I suppose I'll sign up.

(Kaillera) Name: Star King
Contact info: Smashboards PM; I check very often
Availability: 8 AM - 10 PM EST, nearly every day. I lag sometimes in the night though

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I'll play.

Name: Metta World Peace
(Kaillera) Name: clubba22
Contact info: PM me on smashboards
Availability: Weekday nights, Weekend afternoons

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
so do we just go ahead an play everyone in our pool, does it matter which order?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Why are sets best of 3? That's way too short IMO. Sets are kept best of 3 in real life Melee/Brawl tournaments only because of time constraints, so I don't see why online should use that number. Should be at least best of 5 IMO.

:phone:

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Good point. Since nobody played a match yet it's not too late to change either, so sets are best of 5.

Nova, there's no order. Just play everyone in your pool. When both pools are completed the next round starts.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Wow seriously no other games played. clubba loses 3 posts in a row lol. I'm gonna be rated so low :(

I guess I'm out now then huh?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Congrats to Jaime and Peek for being the first 2 players to advance to the second round! This event has been moving along really quickly. Star King just has to play 2 sets and then round 2 can start!

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
^ real demoralizing set, each game was 1 stock and and i had a chance to win and messed up

The Star King

Smash Hero
Peek beats Star King 3-1

EDIT: Man, I didn't really care at the time for some reason, but an hour later and I feel pretty upset about this. I'm not sure why I felt so apathetic at first; I probably should have just played the match later. Oh well, I guess I'll have to beat JaimeHR to make up for this now.

Peek~

Smash Lord
Peek def Jaime 3-1

All my matches were recorded, thanks to everyone for letting me do it.

Ninja'd^

Battlecow

Play to Win
Wow, peek is getting off.

I hope you guys picked kirby/pikachu. Otherwise, I'm just disapprove.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yeah, talking mostly to SK there.

Jaime loses to sheer and stuff, but SK is supposedly the soul of consistency.

Top Bottom