• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Swiss style tournaments should be the new Smash standard

Winnar

Smash Lord
TL;DR - Swiss is better than round-robin pools in basically every way. If anyone can come up with a reason not to switch to swiss I would love to hear it.

In Chess, which is the most notable example of a game that uses swiss as its primary tournament model, all players are paired together randomly for the first round. They all play their matches, and report the results. Those who won their game in the first round receive 1 point and those who lost receive 0 points. Players with the same score are then paired together randomly for round 2. Repeat the process for round 3, etc. The number of rounds played depends on the number of entrants, but the end result is that players quickly start playing against others closer to their skill level. Closer matches being more enjoyable and desirable, this system practically guarantees that everyone in the tournament will be able to play people at and around their skill level. Additionally, pools are difficult to seed people into, and brackets lose accuracy beyond 4th place. Swiss negates both of these problems with its automatic seeding and its complete tournament placings.

I’ve been asking around and the two biggest complaints I hear about swiss tournaments are that they are less hyped up than bracket matches and that they take too long. The former is easily reconciled by using the top 8 or 16 or even 32 placings of the swiss tournament to seed a double elimination bracket. As for the latter complaint, I feel that this is a huge misconception. I think the main problem is that there is no standardized software for running swiss tournaments. If you actually sit down and look at how long swiss should take versus how long round-robin pools should take, swiss wins almost every time. I wrote out a tremendously long proof, mostly for myself, to show that this is true. I don’t expect anyone but the most dedicated to read it or even look at it, but it is there in case anyone is interested.

[collapse=A Long and Tedious Explanation Provided for Those Interested]There are only two variables to consider when looking at how long a tournament should take: The number of players and the number of setups. The ratio of these two variables (players:setups) determines everything.

When calculating how long pools take, you round up the number of players to the nearest integer for every ratio between the integers (so for example 3.2:1 becomes 4:1). How fast a tournament can run pools is limited to how fast its slowest pool is. As the saying goes, “a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.”

When calculating how fast swiss takes, you round up the number of players to the next even number (so 2.5:1 becomes 4:1). No matter what, each round of swiss will have to be split into two groups of players. One group will play their sets while the other group waits to play theirs, which basically doubles the amount of time each round takes.

For the sake of making this easier to digest let’s say that Tournament X has 100 entrants. Let’s look at a few scenarios:

If the players:setups ratio is 2:1 (aka the optimal ratio)

-Using round robin pools: 10 sets.
To clarify: If everything is run perfectly, pools should take the same amount of time as 2 players running 10 long best of 3 sets in a row. Think of a set as a length of time, like 15-20 minutes.
[collapse=Explanation]There is a lot of leeway here on how this can be done, but what I might do is two rounds of pools. First round would be six players in each and top 3 get out, which weeds it down to 50 players left. Second round would be five players in each and top 3 get out, which brings the players left to 30. This is not an optimized pools setup, but for the sake of this example that’s okay. The math works out that within the first round pools, 15 games need to be played and they will be played at a rate of 3 games at a time. This means that ideally round one of pools will take the time of 5 sets if everyone is cooperative and perfectly organized/instructed on who plays who. Round two of pools has 10 games that can be played at
2 games at a time. This means 5 more sets, so pools takes 10 sets before you can start brackets.[/collapse]
-Using swiss style brackets: 7 sets
[collapse=Explanation]The number of rounds you need in a swiss bracket depends only on the number of players. You can use the following formula to determine the rounds you need.

[collapse=Formula and Example]2^(n-1) < Number of players <= 2^n, where n = number of rounds needed

So for example if you have 14 players then n = 4, because 2^3 = 8 and 2^4 = 16 and 14 is between those two numbers.[/collapse]

Anyway, you need 7 rounds to accommodate 100 players. If they all run simultaneously then swiss only takes 7 sets. You can then set up your bracket using the swiss results for seeding.[/collapse]

If the players:setups ratio is 3:1

-Using round robin pools: 13 sets
[collapse=Explanation]Same setup as before. Two rounds of pools: 6 person per pool first round and 5 person per pool second round, top three players make it out of both rounds of pools. This time there are only 2 setups available per pool, so 8 sets need to be played for first round of pools. As before, the second round of pools will take the time of 5 more sets. Therefore, pools takes 13 sets if everything is ran flawlessly.[/collapse]
-Using swiss style brackets: 14 sets
[collapse=Explanation]As explained above, each round will need to be divided into two groups of players: Those who play their sets first and those who play their sets second. This means each round of swiss essentially takes two sets to finish each round. Twice 7 is 14, so it takes 14 sets to run swiss with this ratio.[/collapse]

If the players:setups ratio is 4:1

-Using round robin pools: 17 sets
[collapse=Explanation]Here things get a little complicated. Using the same system of two rounds of pools, two-thirds of the pools in the first round will use 2 TV’s and take 8 sets. The other third will only have a single TV in each pool and will take 15 sets, sort of. After 8 sets, pools with 2 TV’s will finish and so the next 7 sets that need to be finished on the 1 TV pools will faster. These 7 sets will only take 4 sets time. So the first round of pools will take about 12 sets to finish. This problem is avoided in round 2 pools because only 50 players will make it to round 2, so setups are plentiful at this point. Second round pools takes 5 sets, so both pools together take about 17 sets to completely finish.[/collapse]
-Using swiss style brackets: 14 sets
[collapse=Explanation]See 3:1 swiss setup. Do note, however, that 3:1 will probably run slightly faster than 4:1. Statistically speaking, there’s less likelihood that your second group of players will have a set that takes a long time. That said, the difference in time is probably not going to be very significant.[/collapse]

If the players:setups ratio is 5:1

-Using round robin pools: 20 sets
[collapse=Explanation]I am going to assume for the first pool that this will take about the same amount of time as running it with a ratio of 6:1. The reason for this is that only 1/6 of the pools will have two TV’s, and by the time all the pools have access to 2 TV’s it will probably not save them any time anyway. So then all 15 sets will take the full time of 15 sets. Round 2 of pools will take the usual 5 sets, so pools as a whole will take 20 sets to finish.[/collapse]
-Using swiss style brackets: 24 sets
[collapse=Explanation]7*3=24; see 3:1 swiss explanation.[/collapse]

If the players:setups ratio is 6:1
-Using round robin pools: 20 sets
See 5:1 explanation

-Using swiss style brackets: 24 sets
See 5:1 explanation

Oh, and here are two examples of what results will look like if you have 8 players and 16 players:
[collapse=8 players]
round 1

4x 1-0
4x 0-1

round 2

2x 2-0
4x 1-1
2x 0-1

round 3

1x 3-0
3x 2-1
3x 1-2
1x 0-3[/collapse]

[collapse=16 players]
round 1

8x 1-0
8x 0-1

round 2

4x 2-0
12x 1-1
4x 0-2

round 3

2x 3-0
6x 2-1
6x 1-2
2x 0-3

round 4

1x 4-0
4x 3-1
6x 2-2
4x 1-3
1x 0-4[/collapse]
[/collapse]

So, whenever your player to setup ratio is 4:1 or better, swiss will be faster. This is even after making some very generous assumptions on how quickly pools can be run. As I said earlier a tournament is only as fast as its slowest pool, and it’s difficult to have 15 pools without one or two of them being run inefficiently.

In any case, if you have a bad player to setup ratio then pools is probably going to be faster. I say that, but even if the ratio is close to 6:1 or so then swiss might still be a good option. Swiss gives such a better measure of accuracy for your tournament results since it measures the entire tournament player base at once. With more accurate results for an entire tournament entry, we as a community will be able to set up a unified ranking system. Chess uses swiss and has a highly successful ranking structure. I need to do some more research as to how chess's elo ranking system works, but that's another discussion on its own. If you are an expert on elo ranking then I would ask that you please either point me in the right direction for learning about it or just share your knowledge here.

Here’s a quick breakdown:

Pros
  • It lets more players get more matches
  • It’s faster even despite the first point
  • It holds equal appeal players of all skill levels
  • It seeds better for brackets
  • It’s easier to run a swiss tournament
  • It allows for a unified ranking system similar to chess’s elo system

Cons
  • It requires a higher emphasis on getting setups to tournaments
  • It needs software for best results
  • It suffers from some misconceptions, so introducing it could be a bit of a gamble for TO’s
  • It might be more difficult to enforce rules and provide guidance for new players than pools (no pool leaders)

As I said before, making the software is trivial and I can make a makeshift excel visual basic macro that will get the job done perfectly fine until someone with better coding experience steps up and makes something more legit. Getting setups can be a challenge at first, but if the TO places a high emphasis on getting setups to tournaments (via incentives like no venue fee or by simply explaining how important it is for a tournament to have setups) then that goal is easily achievable.

Oh, I guess I should mention that tiebreakers can be a little confusing. Ties tend to happen in swiss when the number of entrants is midway between a power of 2. This is an interesting issue, though, because there are a few ways to solve tiebreakers. One way is to use the statistics automatically generated to tell who in the tied group had the hardest matches. These will be exported in the software anyway, and they will be an accurate judge of who fought the hardest within the tied group, but it's a bit anticlimactic. The other way (the more fun/hype way) is to simply have the tied players play out their tiebreaker matches against each other. For a 2 person tiebreaker, it would just be one set; for a 3 person tie-breaker, a round robin; and anything larger gets a single elimination bracket seeded by the statistics. Tiebreaker matches could end up being more hype than most bracket matches.

If anyone can think of any other problems or concerns with running swiss, I’d love to hear them. Is there any reason why we shouldn’t switch to swiss?

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
my post is the most relevant post that has sparked the most discussion so far

walnut100

Smash Rookie
I for one know that the Swiss are best at cheese

Therefore Swiss is truly best

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Nice post man, you put a good amount of effort into proving your point.

I think you are on to a Winnar here :awesome:

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
The major reason that people prefer pools over swiss is because it gives the players who are destined to lose very quickly in brackets to still have an enjoyable and worthwhile tournament experience. Pools are generally a pain in the *** for people who know they're going to make it out of pools, but we want to attract scrubs whose money we intend to take :)

I don't know how you figure that players get to play more matches in a swiss set up, but in my experience running tournaments that's just simply not true. Especially if you are in a time constraint where you eliminate players who have already lost too many matches to make brackets even if they haven't necessarily played all their required swiss matches.

If you have 32 players and you want to cut to a 16 man bracket, you can eliminate a good bit of the players after just 3 rounds if you want to save time (which TOs usually want to do), and even if you're nice and let swiss play out, you're going to have an undefeated player after 5 rounds, which in most versions of swiss that i've seen incorporated indicates that it's the end. in chess, this person would be the winner, but since we usually cut to brackets, we just consider it the end of the swiss round.

In a 32 man round robin pool set up, though, you could easily have four pools of 8 people, and each player will get to play 7 matches instead of 5. Yeah, seeding is hard, but people want to get their moneys worth.

Pools are also MUCH easier to run, as the players themselves can manage them, unlike a swiss bracket.

Pools take longer than swiss, I didn't think there was ever a question about that, but I believe they're easier to manage, and also generally provide more matches for the participants.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Here is some information you are looking for:
The USCF Rating System
Elo Ratings in Competitive Melee (this discussion is being carried on in the backroom by a group of programmers and others including myself to further the project and establish elo ratings in the community)

To go over the Swiss System a little. First of all, you're wrong in stating that in Swiss players are paired randomly after each round or even in the beginning. Swiss uses a very structured pairing system. Players are listed in descending order of elo, and then split into two halves, the upper half plays the bottom half. For example:
There are 20 players. They are seeded according to elo rating. Player 1 plays 11, 2 plays 12, 3 plays 13, 4 plays 14, ect. Every round it follows the same patters with a couple of exceptions. In Chess, no two players can play each other twice in the same tournament. Also there is every attempt made to prevent a player from receiving the same color twice in a row. This will occasionally happen, but even more rare (almost nonexistent) is a player having the same color three times in a row.

Now as for your pros and cons, it's an ok list, but as far as the Melee scene is concerned, the cons far outweigh the pros. I honestly used to feel the same way you do now. I spent six years playing tournament chess and could not understand why so many melee players are so attached to double elimination. Well, after playing an equal amount of time of competitive melee, I see why now. The biggest con you left out is the lack of an extremely epic grand finals match. This is prevented in two ways. For one, the final round in the top "board" plays at the same time as everybody else in Swiss. This prevents huge crowds from gathering and hyping the event while it is taking place. This of course can be remedied by waiting until everybody else is done. However, more hype is lost by the fact that whoever loses that final match will likely be tied then with at least one other player, and thus more matches will ensue to break the ties. This means Grand Finals are no longer the end of the tournament, but only the determining match for who gets first. Second, third, ect is still to be decided. That's another hype deduction for Swiss. Finally, everybody that has ever been to a large tournament and seen their favorite player lose winners finals, then come back and win two sets against the person that just beat them knows how much hype can be involved in that sort of "come from behind" victory. I'd like to point to Genesis 1. Armada beats Mango in WF. If that was Swiss, tourney over GG Mango gets second. In double elimination, Mango gets the chance at retribution in the same event and comes back to win it all. Have you ever seen anything more hype than G1 Grand Finals?

Anyways, there are some other cons to Swiss as well. I for example, don't win big tournaments. Once I'm eliminated from a double elimination tournament though, I continue to play friendlies against anybody I haven't played or others that I want to play. With Swiss, you never get knocked out and that can actually be a bad thing. Less time to get more matches in that aren't tourney related.

So as far as that goes, I can very confidently say to you that any attempt at converting the entire community over to Swiss will almost certainly fail. Although, you're most certainly welcomed to host a Swiss tournament and show the community how fun it can be. I know of a few Swiss tournaments that have taken place. Getting Schooled X (2 or 3 I believe) was Swiss. Also a tournament I attended in Fresno in like '06 was Swiss. There's been a couple others. But yeah, there you have it.

Pikaville

With a decent joke to boot xD

Roll on 9000.

I honestly read it all though and I think it's a great idea.

Especially if it makes for a closer skill level overall and faster overall proceedings.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
All that needs to happen now is for a large-scale tournament to show how much more efficient swiss is compared to pools.

But which TO would take such a big risk for a large-scale tournament? :o

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
@ Bane: unless I am mistaken, he's arguing for replacing the preliminary bracket seeding round, which is usually pools, with swiss format, not replacing the entire tournament set up with a pure swiss style

Winnar

Smash Lord
The major reason that people prefer pools over swiss is because it gives the players who are destined to lose very quickly in brackets to still have an enjoyable and worthwhile tournament experience. Pools are generally a pain in the *** for people who know they're going to make it out of pools, but we want to attract scrubs whose money we intend to take :)

I don't know how you figure that players get to play more matches in a swiss set up, but in my experience running tournaments that's just simply not true. Especially if you are in a time constraint where you eliminate players who have already lost too many matches to make brackets even if they haven't necessarily played all their required swiss matches.
A pool of 6 players means that a given player will play 5 sets in their pool. If there are more than 16 players then there will be 5 rounds of swiss, which means each player gets to play 5 sets. For over 32 players there will be 6 rounds of swiss (or 6 sets per player). In addition to playing probably more sets, the later sets will have the added benefit of being closer and more enjoyable than the first few.

If you have 32 players and you want to cut to a 16 man bracket, you can eliminate a good bit of the players after just 3 rounds if you want to save time (which TOs usually want to do), and even if you're nice and let swiss play out, you're going to have an undefeated player after 5 rounds, which in most versions of swiss that i've seen incorporated indicates that it's the end. in chess, this person would be the winner, but since we usually cut to brackets, we just consider it the end of the swiss round.
I am not really sure why you wouldn't just let everyone play. If you have the right setups ratio then it won't matter (much), and if you don't then you as a TO are obligated to providing the best tournament experience for every player that attends. The latter portion of that is more of a person TO standard, I suppose.

Pools are also MUCH easier to run, as the players themselves can manage them, unlike a swiss bracket.
I disagree with this, and I think it's because I was ambiguous with wording. Running pools is very easy, but running pools at max efficiency is very difficult. Getting every pool to stay on top of their matches requires pool leaders who all are competent at organizing people. I don't think I've ever been to a tournament where there wasn't at least one pool that took forever to finish. It only takes one slow pool to slow down the entire tournament, and this is what I was getting at.

Even so, I can basically guarantee you that swiss will be easier to run than pools if you have the software. Pools requires reporting the set results twice (once on paper and once into TIO), whereas swiss only requires reporting the set results once. Admittedly this is a pretty trivial distinction and the previous argument about pools being hard to run efficiently is a much stronger argument for swiss being easier than pools for TO's.

In a 32 man round robin pool set up, though, you could easily have four pools of 8 people, and each player will get to play 7 matches instead of 5. Yeah, seeding is hard, but people want to get their moneys worth.
A pool of 8 people will take 28 sets per pool, so no that would not ever be faster. Sorry, but that's not really debatable.

All that needs to happen now is for a large-scale tournament to show how much more efficient swiss is compared to pools.

But which TO would take such a big risk for a large-scale tournament? :o
I don't know if you know this but I happen to be running a pretty large-scale tournament~

@ Bane: unless I am mistaken, he's arguing for replacing the preliminary bracket seeding round, which is usually pools, with swiss format, not replacing the entire tournament set up with a pure swiss style
You're correct, that is what I am arguing for :)

I don't want to get rid of the double elimination bracket, just round robin pools.

Here is some information you are looking for:
The USCF Rating System
Elo Ratings in Competitive Melee (this discussion is being carried on in the backroom by a group of programmers and others including myself to further the project and establish elo ratings in the community)

To go over the Swiss System a little. First of all, you're wrong in stating that in Swiss players are paired randomly after each round or even in the beginning. Swiss uses a very structured pairing system. Players are listed in descending order of elo, and then split into two halves, the upper half plays the bottom half. For example:
There are 20 players. They are seeded according to elo rating. Player 1 plays 11, 2 plays 12, 3 plays 13, 4 plays 14, ect. Every round it follows the same patters with a couple of exceptions. In Chess, no two players can play each other twice in the same tournament. Also there is every attempt made to prevent a player from receiving the same color twice in a row. This will occasionally happen, but even more rare (almost nonexistent) is a player having the same color three times in a row.

Now as for your pros and cons, it's an ok list, but as far as the Melee scene is concerned, the cons far outweigh the pros. I honestly used to feel the same way you do now. I spent six years playing tournament chess and could not understand why so many melee players are so attached to double elimination. Well, after playing an equal amount of time of competitive melee, I see why now. The biggest con you left out is the lack of an extremely epic grand finals match. This is prevented in two ways. For one, the final round in the top "board" plays at the same time as everybody else in Swiss. This prevents huge crowds from gathering and hyping the event while it is taking place. This of course can be remedied by waiting until everybody else is done. However, more hype is lost by the fact that whoever loses that final match will likely be tied then with at least one other player, and thus more matches will ensue to break the ties. This means Grand Finals are no longer the end of the tournament, but only the determining match for who gets first. Second, third, ect is still to be decided. That's another hype deduction for Swiss. Finally, everybody that has ever been to a large tournament and seen their favorite player lose winners finals, then come back and win two sets against the person that just beat them knows how much hype can be involved in that sort of "come from behind" victory. I'd like to point to Genesis 1. Armada beats Mango in WF. If that was Swiss, tourney over GG Mango gets second. In double elimination, Mango gets the chance at retribution in the same event and comes back to win it all. Have you ever seen anything more hype than G1 Grand Finals?

Anyways, there are some other cons to Swiss as well. I for example, don't win big tournaments. Once I'm eliminated from a double elimination tournament though, I continue to play friendlies against anybody I haven't played or others that I want to play. With Swiss, you never get knocked out and that can actually be a bad thing. Less time to get more matches in that aren't tourney related.

So as far as that goes, I can very confidently say to you that any attempt at converting the entire community over to Swiss will almost certainly fail. Although, you're most certainly welcomed to host a Swiss tournament and show the community how fun it can be. I know of a few Swiss tournaments that have taken place. Getting Schooled X (2 or 3 I believe) was Swiss. Also a tournament I attended in Fresno in like '06 was Swiss. There's been a couple others. But yeah, there you have it.
Thanks for sharing the links!

I know that in Chess the first round of swiss is seeded by your elo ratings, but we don't have such a system in smash yet. Once one is in place then yes that definitely needs to be implemented. Until then, it will unfortunately have to be mostly random. Also yes there will obviously need to be a check for making sure players don't have to play each other twice in the same swiss tournament, but that is like 2 lines of code. It almost seemed too trivial to mention, and there are a few other similar things to watch out for as well. For example, if a tiebreaker happens but one player has beaten everyone else in his tied group previously in the tournament then he automatically wins the tiebreaker

I also addressed the lack of grand finals, but I guess it bears repeating. I have no intention of replacing double-elimination brackets, only round-robin pools. I think it would be great to see a double elimination bracket seeded by swiss instead of pools.

As for friendlies, I don't foresee this being as an issue. You're assuming pools don't take as long as swiss, which I went to great lengths to prove is a false assumption. There will still be time for friendlies, and I'm of the opinion that people look forward to friendlies at major tournaments because they feel like their playing in the tournament is pointless. If they were able to play more tournament matches and all of them mattered (somewhat) then they would probably enjoy their tournament matches much more.

As for your last statement, Maryland(?) is also running some kind of swiss hybrid at their local tournaments. Also, I completely disagree that swiss won't catch on though. That seems like such an arbitrary assumption to me, so I disagree based on the walls of text I've provided arguing otherwise.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
I like the idea. Pools are bad as is. Every tourney has a pool that takes wayyy too long, even locals.

Also isnt this what the GSL does? You know, the most successful run stacraft 2 tourney ever run in the somewhat short history of sc2?

Im pretty sure they do swiss pools and then a single elim bracket.

:phone:

Pikaville

Winnar on point in this discussion.

There is gonna be a tourney over here soon enough.

Maybe we should try it out.

Although, it's not gonna be that big at all, like 30 people at most.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Winnar on point in this discussion.

There is gonna be a tourney over here soon enough.

Maybe we should try it out.

Although, it's not gonna be that big at all, like 30 people at most.
If you can get the setups and the software then I'd definitely be interested in seeing that happen.

When is it? I'll see if I can't push the jerry-rigged excel basic software out beforehand for you guys.

Reneblade: I wouldn't know, but I am definitely interested in hearing more about it! :D

Flayl

Smash Hero
Chess runs swiss because it's perfectly feasible to have 1 setup for every 2 players. It's not that feasible with console games. Like it is stated in the OP, you would need a 1 to 4 ratio of setups to players at least.

With round robin pools, you can have 1 setup going for every pool with 5 or 6 players. 2 setups would be better for larger pools.

I'm really interested in the idea of having swiss qualifiers before bracket though. How many round do you think it takes to get the top 32? A long time ago I played in Chess and MtG tournaments and 8 rounds would take up about 6 hours (including breaks)

Bones0

Smash Legend
I love the idea of Swiss. One of the most appealing things about it to me that I think you should add into the pros list is the increased quality of matches. When I went to Zenith, I was in a 5-man pool. I beat two of the people 2-0, and then I lost to the other two people 0-2. It was top 3 advanced and I ended up getting eliminated through a tiebreaker without having gotten to play one close match. Swiss virtually guarantees you'll play someone around your skill level, and I think close tournament matches are often considered the most fun and exciting, as well as the best for helping players improve more quickly.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
TTWWADI
That's The Way We Always Did It

it's why we always do pools then bracket, and it's likely never going to change.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Sounds good. But I think your best bet in getting the community to change is what that other guy posted. Host tournaments and use these rules. Otherwise I don't really see you getting anywhere :(

Also if you could explain it without a huge block of text I bet it would be more appealing to people too.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
the huge block of text is pretty necessary unfortunately. swf, step the **** up and learn how to read things more than two sentences long.

Winnar

Smash Lord
If we convert to Swiss, then Armada will have a BIGGER advantage :p

Best post in this thread imo
TTWWADI
That's The Way We Always Did It

it's why we always do pools then bracket, and it's likely never going to change.
I disagree. Actually I find it strange that someone so involved in developing Project M would be a stick in the mud about new ideas for smash.
Chess runs swiss because it's perfectly feasible to have 1 setup for every 2 players. It's not that feasible with console games. Like it is stated in the OP, you would need a 1 to 4 ratio of setups to players at least.

With round robin pools, you can have 1 setup going for every pool with 5 or 6 players. 2 setups would be better for larger pools.

I'm really interested in the idea of having swiss qualifiers before bracket though. How many round do you think it takes to get the top 32? A long time ago I played in Chess and MtG tournaments and 8 rounds would take up about 6 hours (including breaks)
It depends entirely on how many players and setups there are. If you have 100 people then I broke down how long it would take (in terms of sets being run simultaneously) for a few player to setup ratios. Just assume a set in melee means 20-25 minutes and multiply that by the number of sets I say.

Actually I guess I can add that in after I get back from work.

Arizona has.already implemented Swiss with great success a d reception.
That's awesome O:
Sounds good. But I think your best bet in getting the community to change is what that other guy posted. Host tournaments and use these rules. Otherwise I don't really see you getting anywhere :(

Also if you could explain it without a huge block of text I bet it would be more appealing to people too.
I happen to be hosting Mississippi Smash University~

I agree about the length, I'll make a quick summary later. I mostly wanted to get everything out there so I could reference it, but that's kind of backfired. Judging by the responses it feels like not a lot of people actually read the whole thing haha

Massive

Smash Champion
This is a different idea, but I'm not going to say it's any better or worse.

If you had a 1:4 setup to player ratio pools would probably run dreamily smooth as well. The main issues I would draw against using swiss style is the lack of any widespread elo ratings system to create initial seeding and the nature of explaining it to every single person who would be participating in a tournament.

The elo thing is already underway by various people, but it is not widespread enough for this to be functional even on a basic level for most tournaments. Additionally, much of the smash community is fragmented and spread apart, the pools format is currently used to develop tournament seeding for people who may or may not be known of differing skill levels. Without a large scale ratings system in place, there is no other way for this to run efficiently.

Furthermore, people still get confused by stage striking (I've had to explain it at least 3 times at every single tournament I've been to since it was introduced), even though it's a few years old at this point. If we had a completely new way of seeding/matchmaking that wasn't pools (which even now is confusing to some people) it would be a logistics nightmare.

This was mentioned earlier, but smash players are very change resistant. Everyone thinks they have a new idea that will revolutionize our scene, but many of them have already been tried and failed, or have never been implemented properly and received a poor response.

tl;dr: You have a rough road ahead of you. Good luck.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
I keep reading this talk about how people will play players closer to their level and have more exciting matches. While this sounds good for the upper half echelon of players what does this matter for the bad players? 5 rounds into the tourney you are literally just wasting time and space by having already eliminated contestants playing pointless matches.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
The only thing I see holding back the swiss system is lack of pool leader. Once scrub A and newguy B get paired up in round 2 or 3 they're gonna want someone around to answer their questions about what to do. From my experience they pretty much need to ask someone what's going on EVERY round.

Solutions:
A. Be omniscient and omnipresent
B. Have a "TV monitor" who acts like a question answering guru

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I like the idea. Pools are bad as is. Every tourney has a pool that takes wayyy too long, even locals.

Also isnt this what the GSL does? You know, the most successful run stacraft 2 tourney ever run in the somewhat short history of sc2?

Im pretty sure they do swiss pools and then a single elim bracket.

They do a single elimination bracket qualifier into a single elimination bracket Code A.

The top 8 of Code A minus the winner, and the bottom 8 of Code S are put into three round robin pools of five, where the top two advance.

The first round of Code S is somewhat comparable to a bunch of "isolated swiss", where players play each other with similar scores, but only within that four-person group; not exactly Swiss, and not exactly the best format to go with, either.

The remainder of Code S is a single elimination bracket.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
@ Brightside
This happens either way, lol.

You think the players who get eliminated just twirl their thumbs and wait for the best players to keep playing? **** no, most try to get in as many matches as they can. And who is most available?

Players of the same general skill level who got put out. Lol. It's why amatuer brackets are popular-ish.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Well you can disregard my entire post lol. Even though I read the OP, for some reason I interpreted that you were wanting to replace double elim with Swiss. So yeah, pretty much everything I said is irrelevant.

The only argument I can make for pools of round robins being better than a Swiss is like somebody said earlier, and that's that pools take very little management and the players can run them themselves. Swiss would require more work on the TOs part. That's about it lol.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Yes, very time- and labor-intensive for TOs who are also trying to play, like most do in this community. Second, they aren't that much better than pools for the amount of work required. There is a third problem, as illustrated by the following example:

A little history for you that probably also explains why Smash has always been pools-based. There was a major East Coast tournament that tried to run Swiss. At the "end" of the tournament, they had a problem in that they had a three-way tie at the top. Chu Dat would beat Azen would beat Mike G would beat Chu Dat. Everyone was pretty much like, how do you pick a winner? Do you just cut it off at some point and pick one?

Swiss into double-elim technically fixes this problem. However, this does illustrate the problem that both Swiss and Bracket formats have, which is that they are very matchup-dependent formats. Randomly hitting a bad matchup at the wrong time in either format can be a huge negative, whereas in pools, one bad matchup is unlikely to affect your overall placing by much, as your pool record is flushed after every round.

Swiss proponents are pretty active in suggesting that it's a flaw-free system, but that's not really the case because of the matchup-dependency issue. I think Round Robin is at least an equivalent system when done right, and the relative logistical ease makes it a shoo-in for this type of community event.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I disagree. Actually I find it strange that someone so involved in developing Project M would be a stick in the mud about new ideas for smash.
It isn't really what I think, rather it's what the community thinks. Smashers tend to resist change, especially when we have already established precedents. The only way I can see this happening is if you get DBR and Alex Strife on board with this, then the format will trickle down to the locals out of necessity for familarity with the format.

Winnar

Smash Lord
I completely disagree that swiss is more labor-intensive for the TO. I don't understand how that would be the case, unless you were doing it all by hand. If you have software then it is exactly like using TIO, except even easier. All players are told who they are supposed to play, and if you label the setups then you can also tell them where to play. Then they go to the computer and report their results. The TO doesn't even need to be at the computer for results to be reported.

It's also not more complicated than pools, from either the TO's perspective or the player's perspective. It really won't be difficult to make a software where the TO just inputs all the entrants (and whatever their ranking is), then the software exports player matches. The TO announces who plays who and where, or ideally it's just displayed on a large projector or screen for players to check themselves. Players then play their matches while TO's make sure there are no friendlies being played or they play their own matches. Players report their own matches either to the TO or ideally they input the results directly into the software on their own. From the players' perspectives, all they have to do is sign up and play their matches. Neither the TO nor the players have to actually know anything about swiss in order to run it. All they need is the software.

If you had a 1:4 setup to player ratio pools would probably run dreamily smooth as well. The main issues I would draw against using swiss style is the lack of any widespread elo ratings system to create initial seeding and the nature of explaining it to every single person who would be participating in a tournament.
In the tedious proof section I showed that a 1:4 ratio would favor swiss in terms of time management, at least in a 100 person tournament. In a 64 person tournament a single round of 6 person pools might be faster than swiss, but I'm not sure. You're welcome to do the math yourself if you want to know for sure.

I keep reading this talk about how people will play players closer to their level and have more exciting matches. While this sounds good for the upper half echelon of players what does this matter for the bad players? 5 rounds into the tourney you are literally just wasting time and space by having already eliminated contestants playing pointless matches.
Bad players want to play as many matches as possible, and as a TO I feel you are obligated to provide the best tournament experience to every player who enters. There's more to a tournament than the top 10 results!

It isn't really what I think, rather it's what the community thinks. Smashers tend to resist change, especially when we have already established precedents. The only way I can see this happening is if you get DBR and Alex Strife on board with this, then the format will trickle down to the locals out of necessity for familarity with the format.
Once again, I disagree? I find your argument against swiss to be arbitrary and unless you provide more than vague, anecdotal evidence then I don't see this going anywhere.

Yes, very time- and labor-intensive for TOs who are also trying to play, like most do in this community. Second, they aren't that much better than pools for the amount of work required. There is a third problem, as illustrated by the following example:

A little history for you that probably also explains why Smash has always been pools-based. There was a major East Coast tournament that tried to run Swiss. At the "end" of the tournament, they had a problem in that they had a three-way tie at the top. Chu Dat would beat Azen would beat Mike G would beat Chu Dat. Everyone was pretty much like, how do you pick a winner? Do you just cut it off at some point and pick one?

Swiss into double-elim technically fixes this problem. However, this does illustrate the problem that both Swiss and Bracket formats have, which is that they are very matchup-dependent formats. Randomly hitting a bad matchup at the wrong time in either format can be a huge negative, whereas in pools, one bad matchup is unlikely to affect your overall placing by much, as your pool record is flushed after every round.

Swiss proponents are pretty active in suggesting that it's a flaw-free system, but that's not really the case because of the matchup-dependency issue. I think Round Robin is at least an equivalent system when done right, and the relative logistical ease makes it a shoo-in for this type of community event.
There is a lot of theory behind deciding tiebreakers in swiss. As I said earlier, the most hype way to solve a tiebreaker is to have players play against each other. If you're pressed for time, though, there are statistics that can be extracted to help break ties. It's not as big of a problem as you seem to think, and it's largely because we're not the first person to start running swiss.

I think this needs to be repeated: Swiss only works if a tournament has a good setup to player ratio. That is the only problem I can foresee a swiss tournament happening. In that case a TO can just do pools instead. No big deal.

I know I keep talking about how the software for swiss would solve all of the problems you guys have with this system, but it really would. Pools and double elimination brackets are tedious without the software, and so is swiss. That said, the software won't be hard to code, especially since I know exactly what I want it to do.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
First off, you realize that your swiss format as described in your time analyis is more or less just single-elimination (where eliminated players keep playing for fun), right?

You didn't actually explain the three-way tie issue I discussed, unless you just accepted my solution of tossing them into a bracket together.

Also, I don't see how it's not more TO intensive. You have to match up players for matches constantly, even if the software "does it for you." Not everyone knows everyone else. TOs have to facilitate, make sure that the match is actually happening, and keep everyone on the same page. This is excruciatingly painful for a 100-person tournament, unless players all do know each other and always obey the rules, which...yeah. It is much, much faster and efficient to announce pools all at once, and have players all go to the same place for a number of matches.

Pools give lower-skilled players plenty of matches for their money, so it's not really a valid argument that "everyone deserves a lot of matches" so swiss is better. That's one of the reasons we did pools, was to give players some bonus matches. More matches is nice, but no, you don't deserve the same number of matches as everyone else just for being there. Victory does grant some rewards - this is a generally-acceptable principle among competitive players.

I also think your time calculations are a little flawed. First of all, you're talking about tossing a tournament bracket on the end of a swiss, which if that's double-elim, would almost automatically eliminate any time advantage you'd get. You're also ignoring a lot of reset time and reorganization time, both of which are up in the air as to which system is better. Plus, any elimination system consistently and significantly increases your "number of available setups" until you hit the system bottleneck, whereas in swiss you're dealing with the same number of players constantly.

Regarding setups, easy to say, harder to do. We've been fighting that battle since 2004.

I'm not saying swiss is bad, it's just not the perfect be-all, end-all format that I've seen so many people try to suggest.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Arizona has tried using Swiss instead of RR pools, and pretty much everyone thought it was awesome aside from a few small seeding issues that could have probably been avoided anyway.

Bones0

Smash Legend

DBR and Alex Strife and other large TOs only host a significant tournament every couple of months, if that. Rule changes are much easier to manage on a local level before having them be adopted by larger tournaments. I think the pattern of more and more conservative stage lists is proof of that.

BunBun

Smash Master
I have very large concerns, but they are all on the TO side of things. If the TO can keep his **** together and realizes he's not going to play in the tournament at all, and not going to have any breaks, then Swiss is fine.

Flayl

Smash Hero
It depends entirely on how many players and setups there are. If you have 100 people then I broke down how long it would take (in terms of sets being run simultaneously) for a few player to setup ratios. Just assume a set in melee means 20-25 minutes and multiply that by the number of sets I say.
Oops I forgot to include the number of players in my question, I was thinking about Pound V and Genesis 2 number of participants.

If you have 200+ entrants, how many rounds do you think it would take to make an accurate 32/48/64 man bracket?

Top Bottom