• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEW Diddy Community General Guide - Jab Discussion

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
The NEW General Diddy Guide

Moveset Discussion

-
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-= Jab =-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Discuss Diddy's Jab and its place in competitive play.

Things to discuss:

1) Rate the move from 1 to 5 in terms of overall usefulness.
2) Discuss any combos that utilize this move (these can be MU specific).
3) Discuss when is the appropriate time to use the move.
4) Share any tips or tricks you know regarding the move.

*NOTES*

For Jab, give a rating for Jab1, Jab2, and Jab3, and discuss these as three separate moves.

Player-1

Smash Legend
1. 4/5

2. pseudo combos like:
-jab1>jab2>jab3 obv
-jab>dtilt
-jab>smas attack
-Jab>grab
-Jab>side-b

3. Very good move to hit when close up. Jab1 should be used for most situations if you try to do a standing grab unless they just have their shield up. The vast majority of the time it will combo into a grab if you connect with it which is why it's better than just a normal standing grab and also because jab1 has such low cool down that it will be much more difficult to punish than a whiffed grab. If they spotdodge it that is also a free grab. Jab2 is fairly useless because of how much cool down it has unless you want to combo it into jab 3. Jab 3 is a bit more useful than people think just for pressuring purposes. I like to use it to see what the opponent does to punish it and if they don't DI up and hit you out of it then I'll continue to throw it in every once in a while, Olimar is a good char to use it against because it will beat out pikmin a lot of the time. It's also a great pressuring game especially on the ledge. I like to use it a lot to sandwhich characters between the jab3 and a banana if they're standing in front of one.

4. Jab1 can force a get up but only in certain circumstances. Only the back hitbox of the jab will force the get up, since this hitbox is SO small you can't hit it unless you hit while the character hits ground from the air because otherwise the character's hurtbox won't be able to reach the jab's hitbox except in the initial connection between the ground and the character. The best way to get this setup is to send the character into his edge slip animation off of a platform and hit them on their way down.

Dekar173

Justice Man
To add on to p1's notes-

dash attack > jab is legit on tether grabber's shields

Multijab is actually good, use it.

T-block

B2B TST
The earliest you can act after Jab1 (other than going into Jab2) is frame 18. The earliest you can act after Jab2 (other than going into Jab3) is frame 21. Pretty slow overall, but I still find things like Jab > Grab to be effective (someone confirm these numbers?)

Jab1 is also good to take advantage of RCO lag, but Diddy doesn't really need to exploit RCO when he has bananas.

3.5/5

Schwa

Smash Apprentice
1. 3/5

I use this combined with d-tilt for shield pressure against chars that don't have good OOS attacks in front, like DK, Bowser or Samus.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
3/5

Great for punishing spotdodge spammers. First hit of jab has about as much range as your fair. Second hit of jab has about as much range as your bair.

Top Bottom