• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Everyone Needs to Start CPing PS2

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
So guys this "guide" is going to be relatively short but I feel like this needs to be addressed because honestly, no one picks this stage and its IMO one of our best. There are just so many gimmicks we can abuse here and I'm just going to put all of this stuff in one pretty little thread for your reference. Hopefully you have a better idea of how strong this is for us and will want to start playing here. :) So I'll just breakdown the different phases and such.

GROUND PHASE

On this phase of the stage, we can abuse our Auto-Canceled Dairs here for relatively safe pressure from above. But the REAL gem here if the wall towards the center of the stage. Walls = infinites on characters we can Chaingrab of course. And that leads to a guaranteed kill move (Up-Tilt is the go-to move here) of our choice. Even on non CGable characters, they are still put in a really bad situation where you can read them and follow up.

ELECTRIC PHASE

On this phase of the stage, we can follow up from a Down-Throw here with Up-Smash, Down Smash or Up-Tilt on the conveyor belt on CGable characters. Non CGables can be hit however you have the land the move as they flop on the ground. But if they tech, you can still catch them as Down Smash covers all their options.Since both characters will be moving and Down-Throw has a set amount of knockback, the results will leave you right next to the opponent while you grab them. If its an MK or GW (any light character that can escape the flop animation by DIing), you can land a kill move normally. On top of that Swallow is a very legit option here. The belt will send you off the stage, so you can force a Swallowcide or gimp in this manner. The closer to the ledge you get the Swallow, the better your chances are of landing this. In the center of the stage you can also abuse Auto-Canceled Dairs here. This is important here because in many cases you will find yourself battling your opponent to stay in control on this part. Its essential you hold control here. With our high range moves here, camping the platform is a viable strategy.

ICE PHASE

The ice here provides some very interesting options. Many opponents are hindered by the ice because of the significantly higher trip rate (ICs are unaffected). However we can make very good use of the ice. First getting the grab here isn't all that hard because we can use the momentum of the ice + our large grab range to get them. And then once you do get the grab you have options similar to that on the electric phase. During a dash grab, if you Down-Throw someone, you will end up sliding very far and relatively quickly and the opponent will be right next to you. You can net a guaranteed kill move like this on CGable characters. On non CGable characters, you can still land a move if they don't tech the throw. If they do tech i and you read it you can still hit them lol. If they don't tech and if you hit them JUST as they flop on the ground the move will connect.

FLYING PHASE

While we don't have any real gimmicks here, the air phase does afford use the ability to pressure people very well in the air. Down-Air follows gain more depth as have an easier time chasing people in the air after we connect with the last hit of Dair. Back air also becomes easier to follow up. One of D3s biggest issues in general is his lack of aerial mobility which is GREATLY remedies here. You will find you can do things you can't normally do.Edgeguarding people gets a lot easier because our 5 jumps allows us to cover a great amount of vertical ground. Fair SERIOUSLY gets better here because it covers a huge area around us and so you can throw these out with our jumps and wall people really well here. Up-Throw actually has its uses here because it puts opponents WAY higher in the air than normal. And here we can still actually Chaingrab people who are trying to stay grounded. Also vertical KOs are buffed here. Meaning our oh-so-reliable Up-Tilt kills even earlier.

So there you have it folks. Short and sweet. Just had to throw this out there for you guys who don't know about it. :) I've had a lot of success taking people here in tournament recently. Try it out against characters we can CG. :snake: and :lucario: are my personal favorites ;) When I start using this more and playing against a wider variety of characters I will post character specific stuff here. For now ...this needed to come out. Hope you guys enjoy!

- TC

Doc King

Smash Lord
Nice guide. I think this would become like our next Delfino/Rainbow Cruise hard counter stage. I will try to use this stage more often. I think I also have a replay of me fighting a Snake on here if you want it.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Don't like fighting Marth? Take him for a ride at Pokemon Stadium...Twoooooooooooo

My personal favorite stage is easily the ice stage, it adds such a huge game to our grabs, especially to those that aren't chain grabbed.

A personal word of warning, Gordos will kill VERY early on the air stage, watch out for characters with reflectors, dying at 40% isn't fun.

∫unk

Smash Master
i like cping lylat personally, but this stage has some benefits

i think this stage is really matchup dependent... characters that do well in a variety of situations (mk) will do better

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Lylat is actually my go to CP against people who we can't CG. I thought I was the only one that did that so now I feel less crazy. I just like the overall layout of that stage/Platform Cancel applications **** here. (took that from you also ;) ) I think against characters like Snake here we benefit a lot. I do need to test this out against more non CGable characters aside from the bat.

IceArrow

Smash Lord
I always CP Delfino or Castle Siege because you can chain until death.

This stage definitely is a good CP against non chain grabbable characters.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
In a nutshell, this stage offers mixs up that would be impossible without stage physics, and DDDs mix up game is really bad. Unlike PS1 where its just geometry change.

@ Junk, MK will be better no matter where you go. I prefer getting on another character to deal with him and tornado

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
So, uh, I'm aware that this is technically bumping, but I didn't see the info I'm about to impart anywhere on this thead.

First off, I wanna say that this stage is great against Marth (kudos to you YarsRevengerson ;) ). Not only does this stage enhance our CG shenanigans but there's a specific stage quirk that kills Marth before we even get a chance to, if he's not careful. On the treadmills during the electric transition, if Marth sideB's more than once (as in, he uses more than the first hit of Dancing Blade), he'll be sent flying into and through the blastzone. This happens consistently. It is not a gimmick that works once randomly for no reason.

Unfortunately, my second piece of information, which is also about the treadmills on the electric transition, details a manner in which we can die from a stage quirk. John12346 and I discovered it during one of our numerous friendlies, and I lost the match because of it. :urg: Basically, if DDD upB's onto the stage and lands near the end of the treadmill, he won't cancel his landing animation from sliding off the edge of it. In case you haven't quite caught on to what this can mean for us, I'll expand. You're all aware that if DDD upB's above the stage and cancels his ascent/descent right above the ground, he'll go into a super-hard landing that involves hitting his head and flopping around for a very long amount of time. Well, if DDD does this near the end of a treadmill, he goes into that very flopping animation.......while falling offstage! Yeah, it was a shocker for me when I found out and John just couldn't stop laughing when it cost me the match (happened on the very last stock :mad: ). In all honesty, this problem is actually very easy to avoid, but I just thought I'd impart this information to my fellow DDD's before something devastating happened to one of you in tournament or something. ;)

Top Bottom