• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DR Ray

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I read this on GameFAQs, but haven't heard anything about it here:

Has anyone ever heard of this guy before?

If any of you guys watched EVO, you might know him as the pad Fei Long from the Dominican Republic who beat Justin Wong and Gamerbee in the SSF4 tournament. The crazy part? He's apparently the best smasher in the Dominican Republic and has a beast Mario.

He pretty much bodied all of us at the Melee setup and our money. Luckily (lol), Lucky happened to be at EVO as well, so we got them to money match. The result? They played like 12 best of 3 sets for $10 each, going back and forth until they finally finished with Lucky winning $20. I happen to have most of the sets recorded on my camera :D They'll be uploaded sometime this week!

tl;dr: some smash dominican republic that nobody's heard of came and bodied everyone with mario (aka the real scorpion master... LOL)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/516492-super-smash-bros-melee/59916045

Does anyone know about him Melee-wise? It's always fun with the speculation and hype of international beasts! :D It's also cool that he plays Street Fighter 4 and his abilities transfer over to Smash.

Also, I thought at first that this might be another silly Scorp joke or something, but if you search on Youtube, you can find videos from the Dominican Republic Smashers from years ago like this and this. Mind you, these videos are several years old, but they're just a way of proving this guy is real.

Hopefully DR Ray vs Lucky videos will go up soon. Maybe we can see him at Apex? :D

Varist

Smash Lord
it's mango. i happen to know for a fact that he is in possession of a dubiously-functioning time machine and i would not put it past him to have planted those matches in the past.

we all know mango is ban from smashboards so he post it on next best place.. THE GAMEFAQS,

we all know he was dissatisfied with how scorpion master troll went, he said so at apex.

we all know who mango's bff is, lucky, and who did this mysterious mario from a southern country prove himself to? lucky.

but the most damning evidence is the name. i bet you were wonder what DR stands for? not Da Rock that is for sure.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
lol, so the guy from gamefaqs can recognize lucky but not mango?

unless the guy from gamefaqs is also either of them.

super troll.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure it's legit. Here's Ray's Mario combo video from 2008.

If it is, it's pretty coincidental with Mario, Lucky, Apex, etc.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I used to talk to ray and his friends on MSN messenger they were always talking about coming to the US for a tournament sometime. Also they kept saying how ray ( a mario ) was the best in their country and linked me to his combo video. Cool to see he can hold it down against lucky. I didn't really know how good he was just from the vids.

Max?

Smash Champion
Alukard was telling me about this the other day, he's going to try and get them all out for Rom4.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Very disciplined player. I thought Bahamas and Jamaica was the only smashers in the Caribbean. Was I wrong.

Pi

Smash Hero
hey ray's buddy luiman is lookin for anybody who plays sf4 on the psn
his tag is LuiMan20
he also plays smash, falco main and gives ray a run for his money

also i guess that all (most/a good portion of) the top smash players down in the DR are also highly ranked in all competitive fighting games that are popular down there

<3 smash

The Star King

Smash Hero
but the most damning evidence is the name. i bet you were wonder what DR stands for? not Da Rock that is for sure.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what are you implying it stands for? I couldn't think of anything.

wwwilliam0024

Smash Journeyman
Im an active brawler from the Dominican Republic, Ray is simply beast, he played melee at evo even after having a lot of time without playing the game, getting ready for Evo. But he has always been the best melee player here, maining only mario. You might think people here must suck to have a mario as best player but no, hes a fast learner, you cant apply the same strat on him more than twice, hes that beast. He was also beast in brawl in the early times but he hasnt really been that active on brawl.

We have a very tough smash community here at Dominican Republic, its just that most americans are afraid of coming here lol, some even think there isnt electricity here.... srsly....?

besides Ray there are other beast melee players. But youll have to come over to check their skills.

Sadly im a Brawler so i dont melee very well, but from experience we got tough melee players.

DanteLinkX

Smash Rookie
Yeah, continuing where William left, here in Dominican republic we have a very active competitive scene in a lot of games, and we don't limit ourselves to just smash, we play everything, that's why Ray is really good, because he applies all that acquired knowledge in all the games he plays.

This is a kinda old vid of Brawl, but entertaining none the less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKrDUERPD5g

I believe the DR Brawl community tried to get M2King here, but I think it wasn't possible, don't know the details very well, but we did try. Anyways would be amazing if some of you guys could come over, of if we could attend some of your tourneys, Ray and I are able, maybe Will too (He is a really good Brawler).

t3h Icy

Smash Master
A 0-death combo on that last stock... in Brawl with Mario? :O Though, that might be better over in the Brawl section, since most of the folk here are Melee-only. Very cool though and yet it's not in their "Best videos of each character" thread! Maybe someone should go bug them. :D

I'm not too sure about players from here going, since nobody is even going to BEAST 2, though DR is closer... Maybe get in contact with TOs and see if they can help out or advertise you guys. Perhaps Apex since that'll be the big event of the year, it's a little closer, and it has both Melee and Brawl?

Anth0ny

Smash Master
DR Ray vs. Mike Ross will go down in history as one of the most awesome moments in Evo history. Too funny.

Cool to know he's a Melee player!

wwwilliam0024

Smash Journeyman
A friend was tutoring a kid from Georgia and he told my friend he didnt bring his Wii because he thought there wasnt any electricity here.... wtf

going back to topic, weve been always on the look out for outsiders to come at take a beating here at both smash games and other games too ;P

We once had Fino (a brawl player) come over he did enjoy his time, im sure if any of you come over youll find our level of gameplay superior to most (not to be cocky, just making emphasis in the fact were are very dedicated) players there. :)

Lovage

Smash Hero
joey told he aint that good actually

really good at chaingrabs but not that smart/good at adapting

wwwilliam0024

Smash Journeyman
considering the last time he played melee was probably over months, since he was preparing for SSF4 and MVC3 i think its reasonable he wasnt at his best, i was surprised he actually decided to play, he loves the game apparently.

finalcloud13

Smash Apprentice
joey told he aint that good actually

really good at chaingrabs but not that smart/good at adapting
Well, if the story about going back and forth for 12 sets is true, it sounds like Lucky is giving him less credit than he deserves. Unless Lucky also considers himself "not that good."

The Star King

Smash Hero
Well, if the story about going back and forth for 12 sets is true, it sounds like Lucky is giving him less credit than he deserves. Unless Lucky also considers himself "not that good."
I heard Lucky has been balls lately, though.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
never listen to people who get beat or go even with some1 (if they say he isnt good) theyre salty and johning. its nothing against joey, its just a normal defense mechanism.

leffen

Smash Champion
reneblade knows it, he got dat dart exp.

really though, him being good at chaingrabbing etc seems JUST like a good SF player in melee (their consistency at staple combos is ****ing crazy) and him not being good at adapting isnt THAT important as most ppl think.

Atlus8

Smash Master
Ah, yes! DR Ray came out of no where and ran a train with his mario! I didn't play him myself since he and Lucky played for nearly 2 hours straight! No lie! They played for a long while! Didn't get any footage, but I took pics and they are being uploaded right now!

Top Bottom