• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oakville Uproar 2011

R e d X

Smash Journeyman
Snow Shard and I are looking to host a tournament in Oakville for SSBB in an attempt to stir up some activity in a community that is otherwise very quiet. We're really making an effort to raise awareness about the SSB community in Oakville so come out and help the community grow! We also plan to have a livestream, the link for which is included if you're interested.

Date and Location

The tourney would take place on Saturday September 3rd from 12:00 - 10:00pm at 590 Argus Road (At the Holiday Inn). The specific room is the Trafalger Room "

Entry Fees and Payouts

Entry into the venue itself (and access to friendly matches) is $10. The singles tourney is $10 and the doubles tourney is $20 (10 dollars per player on the team). The payout for singles will be for the top 3. The doubles tourney will either be a 70/30 split or winner take all depending on attendance If the tournout is greater than expected this may change but this is how it is for now and probably how it will stay.

Singles Payout:

1st Place: 60%
2nd Place: 30%
3rd Place: 10%

Ruleset:

For Brawl, we will be using the Unity 1.3 Ruleset.

If you're unfamilliar with it click on the link for more details.

Both singles and doubles will be run in the double elimination style.

Schedule:

12:00pm- Venue opens for registration into all tournaments
1:00pm- Registration closes, bracket construction begins
1:30pm- Doubles Bracket begins
3:30-4:00pm- Singles Bracket begins
10:00pm- Venue closes

This is, of course, a rough timeline of how we expect thigs to go. Variables such as number of participants could change this, so if we can go to singles earlier, we will and if it's later, oh well. Any time left over at the end of the tournies will be dedicated to friendlies and MMs. We have no problem with friendlies, but tourney matches have priority over MMs which have priority over friendlies.

Food:

Seeing as how the hotel's catering service is very expensive off site food is probably the best though there is a restaurant in the hotel if you don't mind spening a bit more money. There's a McDonald's, a Taco Bell, a Tim Hortons and a Lick's about half a kilometer (perhaps even less) from the venue so these are probably the best options.

Setups:

We obviously need setups for this to work. Everyone helping out with setting up the tourney will do what they can to provide, but we still need more setups. As an incentive, we're offering to wave your entire venue fee if you bring a full setup of a TV, the game AND the system. Just let us know if you plan to bring a setup before hand so we have a rough idea of how many we have.

Directions:

The venue's pretty easy to find but google maps or mapquest will make sure you get there safely if you drive. If you want to go by transit, the GO Train from Union Station goes to Oakville Station and the venue is within walking distance from there. It's $13 for a 2 way trip by train. If anyone needs directions or any other help finding the venue for some reason, just let us know and we'll help you out.

Current Attendance/(Interest) List:

1. Red X
2. Snow Shard
3. Samo
4. Kevw
5. fUddO
6. Cruxis
7. Gichan
8. Poke
9. Phiddlesticks
10. Meekspeedy
11. Raidos
12. (Culex)
13. (Toronto Joe)
14. (Dan-Da-Man)
15. (Iliad)
16. (Zach)
17. (Warchamp7)

Setups:
1. Red X (3 Full)
2. Snow Shard (2 Full)

All of this is pending on attandance. If we can get a decent number of people we're hyped for doing it, so let us know ASAP and we can get it started.

Feel free to let us know about any concerns you may have about the tourney and we'll be happy to address them. The only thing we really don't want to hear is complaints about there being too many tournies. I know there are alot of them floating around but this has been in the works for about a month and a half now so if you can't come for one reason or another that's fine, no problem, but please keep the posts friendly.

Hope to see you all there!

R e d X

Smash Journeyman
If memory serves there's a Melee tourney somewhere in Ontario the previous Saturday (St. Marys I think?), but is there another one for Brawl close to the 3rd that I'm unaware of?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Brinstar legal in Melee.

*sigh*

I'll need a ride to this from someone though.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
If memory serves there's a Melee tourney somewhere in Ontario the previous Saturday (St. Marys I think?), but is there another one for Brawl close to the 3rd that I'm unaware of?
Well i know a few people who want to host tourneys here and there. Generally we talk among the other TO's before deciding to go ahead with a tourney so that there aren't any conflicting dates xD. I know that Ottawa has a tourney on this date. I was planning one in september for both Melee & Brawl in Toronto at A & C since they want me to stay consistent. Counting Brawl & melee in toronto, theres like a tourney every single week since the 30th of july

July 30th: SiD 2 (Brawl)
August 6th: 6-4 matchup monthlies (Melee)
August 13th: MK Ban (Brawl)
August 20th/27th: SiD 3 (Brawl & 64)
August 27th: Kason's (Melee)
September 3rd: This tourney, and Ottawa's (Both are Brawl & Melee iirc)

This on top of A&C games wanting Brawl and Melee in September xD

This gives me a lot to figure out lmao.

R e d X

Smash Journeyman
Ah my apologies Tin I was unaware of this. Tbh we were gonna plan this one for the 20th of August, but we discovered that there was too much going on that weekend so we switched it. Unfortunately this is the only other viable weekend for us. So we'll just see how many attendees we get an we'll go from there. Thanks for the heads though I'll keep this in mind for next time. :)

.EXE

Smash Apprentice
If I can get the date off from work I can drag Zetsu and I up there parent is gone so I have free reign over the car, and may be willing to pick up other ppl supposedly if they're not too far out of the way and I have nothing else planned.

Tin i believe you have BBm?

Ps. Long live Samus!

Gichan

Smash Champion
My personal opinion, take a break Tin. Let others host or else you'll have a scene depending on one guy again, no need for that crap. If others feel like their tournaments won't matter then becomes detrimental to initiative.

KBMX

Smash Rookie
If patches goes i might because id get a ride with him being as im no longer in possession of a working vehicle and if i do i have some pretty decent recording equipment i wanna try out

Patches

Smash Master
My personal opinion, take a break Tin. Let others host or else you'll have a scene depending on one guy again, no need for that crap. If others feel like their tournaments won't matter then becomes detrimental to initiative.
This this this this this a million times this.

You need to step back Tin. Let other people come up host tournaments. It seems like you kinda think that you want to own the scene or whatever. You have to realize though, the scene is a community deal. Not a " Tinman hosts a tourney and people show up deal. " If they want to host a tournament, who gives a ****. Let them. You don't need to control everything.

Besides, we already had a time in our community where only one person hosted tournaments, and then look what happened. Do you really think we want that again? **** no. We went, what? 6 months - a year without a tournament? I dont even remember.

All I'm saying is, Tin. You're not the king of GTA smash tournament hosting. Let other people host tournaments if they want to. You don't need to be large and in charge.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Besides, we already had a time in our community where only one person hosted tournaments, and then look what happened. Do you really think we want that again? **** no. We went, what? 6 months - a year without a tournament? I dont even remember.
We had that at least 3 times actually. First it was Niko, then it was Mikey/Sauga, then Gi. There was a tourney drought each time, except after Gi because Tin stepped up (and because Gi really isn't done yet either).

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
It was more than a year the last drought.

I remember because summer of '09 I tried to go to my first tournament, it got cancelled, and the next proper one was in October '10.

So more than a year.

Patches

Smash Master
When was Niko's time?

I'm not too sure if I was in the scene yet. I just know Niko was still playing. The last tournament I remember before the draught was " Too Poor For Genesis "

:phone:

Tin Man

Smash Hero
This this this this this a million times this.

You need to step back Tin. Let other people come up host tournaments. It seems like you kinda think that you want to own the scene or whatever. You have to realize though, the scene is a community deal. Not a " Tinman hosts a tourney and people show up deal. " If they want to host a tournament, who gives a ****. Let them. You don't need to control everything.

All I'm saying is, Tin. You're not the king of GTA smash tournament hosting. Let other people host tournaments if they want to. You don't need to be large and in charge.
I don't like your impression of me :(. Maybe I'm just not communicating well enough. I'm repeating Iliad's advice is all. TO's should talk among each other so that things work out. That's all. It allows for multiple people to TO. I don't think I was here long enough for the droughts, but the only droughts I remember were because of no venue. Not a lack of stepping up.

It was more than a year the last drought.

I remember because summer of '09 I tried to go to my first tournament, it got cancelled, and the next proper one was in October '10.

So more than a year.
In summer of 09, I went to my 1st tourney. they were all in Hamilton bro. There were many tourneys between now and then. I reached so many in the time period your namin. Maybe u got your dates wrong dawg? I think imma do some research and make a post on the facts of when tourneys happened. This way we got some real info and objective info to use.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I don't recall tourneys in Hamilton. Maybe I just wasn't checking hard enough.

Wouldn't have mattered much though, since at the time I never would have convinved my parents to let me go to Hamilton for a tourney.

Now I just sort of go, "oh mum, I'm going to a tourney in New Jersey in January"

And their response is "yeah okay, are you being housed or getting a hotel room?"

When the dynamics of me going places changed exactly I'm not sure, though I'm certain going to smashfests and getting home at like 2 AM helped it along.

Wooo I ranted.

Windrose

Smash Lord
I am interested in coming for melee. Is this on the 2nd or the 3rd mm.

:phone:

Cr0wbaR

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad to see this getting some notice :)

Anyone willing to help out recording would be amazing, i'll have one recording station which will also be the streaming table.

A little heads up on the streaming table by the way, there are random moments when the screen will go black for a few seconds, this happens about... once a day maybe twice, so if it ever happens at the tournament i am apologizing now, and the game will be replayed to cope. (I REALLY hope this doesn't happen during the finals or something)

If anyone has any reason why a Hauppauge HD PVR would do this, let me know.

Dan-Da-Man

Smash Journeyman
I have a recording device, so if you toss me replays I can upload them all to youtube shortly after the tournament. Usually I tend to do that anyway with friendlies/MMs of myself.

Dan-Da-Man

Smash Journeyman
Oh wow, I thought this was going to be on the Saturday.
Count me out if you're (for some reason) hosting on a Friday; like many others I got a job/work to do during weekdays.

I wouldn't expect more than 5 people to show if you're doing this on Friday tbh

R e d X

Smash Journeyman
Don't know what I was thinking, Friday is a bad day to hold this. I'll keep the date as Saturday the 3rd but I'm not sure if the venue is available then. I'll check it out and post a definite venue ASAP. Sorry for the confusion guys.

EDIT: The venue is going to be kept the same, I have a hold on the 3rd.

Top Bottom