• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Falcon FMCD Thread ! #1 : Dthrow+Fthrow

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
That was a thread I wanted to do for a long time so there it is :

The Falcon Follow up and Mixup Compilation/Discussion Thread !

So this is a place where we gather and discuss mixups in a practical way.
Ever thought "Ok I somehow managed to approach my opponent and hit with that move, now what can I do to maintain the momentum ? I'm playing a low tier (yet very manly) character, what are my options to take advantage of that hit ?" ? This thread is for you.

How we're gonna roll (rules) :
1-We discuss concrete and specific situations. Generalities only degenerate into bad theorycraft.
2-Like matchups, we discuss one situation at a time. If you have ideas/suggestion/requests for the next discussion then let it be known but don't gimp the current one.
3-You can make your contribution from reflections or from experience, anything is fine as long as you back it up with an explanation

Discussion format :
It's not definitive but we can use this :
PHP:
[b]Follow up : [/b]
[b]Works when :[/b]
Example : 
[b]Avoided by : [/b]
Example : 
[b]Countered by :[/b]
Example :
Eplanation :
Move : the move you just showed
Follow up : the move you show right after that
Works when : describe the specific situation where this follow up works
Avoided by : list things that the opponent can do to avoid this follow up and reset the momentum
Countered by : list things that the opponent can do counter this follow up and revert the momentum. Don't get caught in these situations.

First Situation : Dthrow+Fthrow
Very concrete and very common.
Personnally it's my 2 most used throws and they roughly do the same thing : put your opponent somewhere above and in front of you (depending on his DI) and they have both very low lag

Let's propose some follow ups :

Follow up : Walk/Dash > Shield > Shieldgrab
Works when : the opponent DIs down and tries to attack you when you approach him (at low percent DI doesn't matter). Very likely to happen if he has a long ranged aerial.
Example : Marth using Fair, ROB using Fair.
Avoided by : DIing up, jumping/drifting/airdodging away
Example :
Countered by : Aerial grabs
Example : Wario/Kirby/DDD's neutral B, Bowser's Side B

Follow up : Get under him > Uair
Works when : the opponent DIs up and doesn't react to your jump
Example :
Avoided by : airdodge
Example :
Countered by : broken Dairs that don't need the opponent to think about his options
Example : MK/Lucario/GW's Dair

Now it's your turn, propose another follow up or complete those ones, the goal being to cover as many situations as possible to get some kind of flowchart.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Why are dthrow and fthrow grouped? They're very different throws. Total damage output for each option would be a good addition. And possibly frame data to completely acknowledge all possibilities.

The OP is kinda confusing to me. It's laid out based on what we can follow up with, when it should be laid out based on how our opponent reacts. For each basic escape option, list how we can punish them.

If you lay it out based on opponent's reactions (not based on your actions) it'll be more clear when to do what. Players should be conditioning themselves to play based on their opponent. Follow-ups should always be based on prediction (how our opponent tries to escape follow-ups based on their percent and position). This thread should focus on what our opponents CAN do, and how WE can react to them.

Not sure if anyone is following me, but something like this makes more sense to me:

Fthrow:

[collapse=Low Percent]
Opponent Sidesteps
  • Hyphen Smash (31%)
  • Wait -> Dash Regrab (9%)
  • Dash Pivot Grab (9%)

Opponent Rolls Away
  • Dash Regrab (9%)
  • Dash Attack (16%

Opponent Rolls Towards
  • Auto Jab (12%)

Opponent Shields
  • Dash Regrab (9%)
[/Collapse]
[collapse=Mid Percent]
I like the thread but we need to rework it.
[/Collapse]

Pktck

Smash Apprentice
Won't we have to go into specific characters? As f-throwing/d-thowing DK is different than f-throwing/d-throwin' jiggly.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I just figured out what's wrong with the brawl falcon sub-forum

We're all lazy ****s

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Yeah at first I was like "let's advance the metagame !"

But then work happened, and I realized I don't know actually think about this stuff when I play, so I have no memory of those very specific situations so I can't contribute enough to handle this thread.

Lordy if you wanna redo it you have my OK, since I liked your way to see things better than mine.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
You did kind of encourage everyone to not give a **** about this thread.
Yeah, because everyone here's a lazy ****.

Nothing'll get done anyway.
Not that I'm doing anything to change that either, though.

KMFBrawler

Smash Journeyman
I think this thread is not so alive (xd), because the SSB series is discovered over YEARS.
We can't just sum up every technical aspect in 2 weeks.
It's a nice attempt though.

Top Bottom