• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Monthly] ADVENT IX presented by Next Level Lan

Zoro

Smash Champion

Saturday, May 12 2012
Next Level Lan
Orlando, FL

University Corporate Center
6947 University Blvd.
Winter Park, FL 32792
407-923-5883​

Join the CFL MELEE group:

CFL MELEE FB GROUP

Time:

Registration starts at 11:00 AM
Doubles begins at 12:00 PM
Singles will begin as soon as Doubles is finished

This is the original ADVENT thread and will be updated for each monthly event.

Format:

Five to Seven Rounds of Swiss:

32 players or less: 5 Rounds of Swiss
33 to 64 players: 6 Rounds of Swiss
More than 64 players: 7 Rounds of Swiss

All players are paired together randomly for the first round. They all play their matches, and report the results. Those who won their game in the first round receive 1 point and those who lost receive 0 points. Players with the same score are then paired together randomly for round 2. Repeat the process for round 3, etc. After 5 to 7 rounds of Swiss, players will be properly seeded for the following portion of the tournament.

Less than 24 players: Top 8 advance
24 - 63 players: Top 16 advance
64 or more players: Top 32 advance
Top 8/16/32 seeded players advance to double elimination bracket

If 2 players tie for last seed of 8/16/32 they will play a tiebreaker match, if 3 to 5 players tie they will play a round robin pool. If more than 5 players tie for a spot in the bracket it will be ranked by Opponents Win Percentage (OWP) this will be calculated by software. All other seeding will automatically be done by software.

All players are guaranteed at least five matches, you are only out of the regular tournament when the five rounds are completed and you do not make it into Top 8/16/32.

Entry Fees:

Singles - $10 per entrant
Doubles - $20 per team / $10 per person

Payouts

If below 70 players:
1st Place 35 % of Singles Admission
2nd Place 20%
3rd Place 10%

If above 70 players:
1st Place 60% of Singles Admission
2nd Place 15%
3rd Place 10%
4th Place 5 %
5th/6th 2.5%
5th/6th 2.5%

DISCLAIMER: there will be NO Refunds given without extreme emergency on the day of the tournament! This will run till at least 9pm, if you can't stay that late don't enter! Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on our part.

Amateur Bracket:

Any players who do not make it into the regular double elimination bracket are eligible to compete in a double elimination Amateur Bracket.

The AB is about pride and gaining experience with players at a similar level.
There will be a $1 buy in which will go toward the venue fees. Avoiding circumstances where skilled players abuse the AB and keeping the regular entree fees down are the primary reasons for not paying out the top 3 of AB. Winner of Amateur Bracket will get their $1 back and enter the following ADVENT for a discounted rate of $5 for singles and doubles.

Rules:

4 Stock, 8 minute time limit for both singles and doubles
Best of 3, Finals will be best of 5.
Doubles Team Attack is ON, LIFE stealing is allowed.
Bring Your Own Controller
Singles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64
Doubles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium
Stages not listed on the random select list that are not banned are open for counter picks by the losing player.
Stages banned for Doubles Only: Fountain of Dreams
Stages banned for Singles & Doubles: Yoshi’s Island (Pipes), Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach’s Castle, Green Greens, Mute City, Corneria, Poke Floats, Kongo Jungle, Onett, and Great Bay.
No stage may be used twice in a Best of 3 or Best of 5 Series unless agree upon by both players.
Loser of each match may choose the stage for the next game. Winner may then choose characters but must also allow the Loser to change characters afterwards.
Stage striking is recommended.

(Banned stages may be changed before the tournament, Discuss if you disagree with current format.)

Finding the venue:
NLL is in the middle of the chain of businesses with the big "X" on the banner of the store. Just check where a bunch of cars are. Parking allowed in rear (lol).

Coming off 417 (toll road):

Get off at the exit for the University of Central Florida, University Blvd.
Go straight down university heading for Full Sail. NLL is in the plaza on the right side of the street at the intersection of University Blvd and Forsyth Trail.

Coming off 408 (toll road):

Get off at the exit for the University of Central Florida - You stay on 408 till it literally turns into Challenger Parkway. Stay on Challenger Parkway until you reach the intersection of Challenger and Alafaya Tr.

Hang a right on Alafaya Tr.

Continue on Alafaya Tr. until you reach the intersection of University and Alafaya. Turn left here and go down University until you reach the same area described in the 408 directions.

Directions: http://www.nextlevellan.com/contactus.html
See Next Level LAN website at www.NextLevelLAN.com

Food:

Snacks and Food Available for Purchase at Next Level LAN (stock permitting)
Also located near NLL Plaza is:
Burger King
Pollo Tropical
Dunkin Doughnuts
Perkins
Taco Bell
McDonald's
Orlando Alehouse
Chinese food
Steak n Shake
...and more

Yes, you are allowed to bring outside food and drink into the store. Just dispose of it!

BRING SETUPS
WE NEED MELEE DISCS, CUBES AND TVS.

The more working systems we have the more efficient we can run these events and the more friendlies you get to play.

Our goal is to have at least 20 setups at this event. Please do your part by bringing setups. If you can, please post in this thread to let us know if you can bring anything (wii, Cube, melee, TV).

Organizing this tournament is still a work in progress; more details may become available at a later date. Check in regularly and reply to posts to generate hype for this new series.

Results for previous tournaments:
ADVENT I
ADVENT II
ADVENT III
ADVENT IV
ADVENT V
ADVENT VI

ADVENT VII

--------------------------------------------------
Updates
4/10/12: Updated OP for ADVENT IX

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
Sounds like fun. Swiss pools + pro bracket + amateur bracket + teams maybe difficult to find time for; we'll see how much we can do come this day.
/I'll be here

Zoro

Smash Champion

Apollo if we get enough setups we'll have more than enough time. 1:2 TV to Player ratio is the goal.

Edit: I probably wont reach 28, more like 10-15 since nobody knows where the other ones went to.
So I still do need other people to bring in full setups to reach the goal of 20.

I WANT TO REITERATE
BE HERE BEFORE 12 PM IF YOU WANT TO PLAY DOUBLES I NEED TO START WITHIN 10 MINUTES OF 12 SO WE CAN KEEP ON SCHEDULE. WE HAVE A TON TO DO IN JUST ONE DAY SO I WONT DELAY IT NO MATTER HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU.

Zoro

Smash Champion
I started a list at the bottom of the original post to make sure we are guaranteed at least 20 full setups
Most smashers own cubes and melee so it should be a simple task
I figure people like sworddancer and 3 will bring stuff but I won't add you until you post that you'll bring something, since I don't want to make assumptions.

Please volunteer to bring something either a melee disc, cube, tv or full setup.

Pi

Smash Hero
I can and will bring 2 TV's
Ghatzu has one of mine at his place but it's only like 5min away
I personally don't have any reliable consoles atm...my wii won't read discs half the time so you kinda just clunk your way to vs' and then clunk your way back to character select...it sucks

So yea I can bring 2 TV's and no consoles, so everyone bring your consoles even if you're not sure there will be a TV for them.

If people are consistent with these, we should consider doing a little Advent only PR imo

Zoro

Smash Champion
I can and will bring 2 TV's
Ghatzu has one of mine at his place but it's only like 5min away
I personally don't have any reliable consoles atm...my wii won't read discs half the time so you kinda just clunk your way to vs' and then clunk your way back to character select...it sucks

So yea I can bring 2 TV's and no consoles, so everyone bring your consoles even if you're not sure there will be a TV for them.

If people are consistent with these, we should consider doing a little Advent only PR imo
We call those "seeding points" where I come from.
You bringing melee disc though right?

Yeah apollo is right, after every monthly i'll update the seeding points that everyone has accumulated since the first advent. Like gigs used to do

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=107602

That'll technically be the advent PRs

I do intend to get a couple of people together and make a solid FL PRs though. That'll probably happen in January after we get some good tourney data

Pi

Smash Hero
oh, I had no clue
and I thought this was the monday night things...
**** it I'm requesting off for dis ish
& yea I can bring my melee disc

[edit] done
comment on my reqest; 'super smash bros. melee tournament'

huehuehue

Also, a reminder, there will be dedicated friendly TV's
This means that if you are on a tournament TV, and it is not a tournament match, you are expected to quit out as soon as both the players are ready
Alternatively, if you are on a friendly TV, and you have a tournament match, you are expected to quit out as soon as you are made aware that you have a match regardless of what the other player is doing

Zoro

Smash Champion
Also, a reminder, there will be dedicated friendly TV's
This means that if you are on a tournament TV, and it is not a tournament match, you are expected to quit out as soon as both the players are ready
Alternatively, if you are on a friendly TV, and you have a tournament match, you are expected to quit out as soon as you are made aware that you have a match regardless of what the other player is doing
Going to copy this

3 had another interesting idea

I'm going to take everyone's phone numbers when they register and I'll call or text (depending on your preference) when you have a match. Since we are going to have to run this efficiently we can't have people not hearing their matches called or taking 2 hours at steak n shake.

10 mins is the time limit from the time I call out matches, if you ain't playing in that time you auto forfeit that match. Unless you call me and let me know you are on your way back. 15 man WATO tourneys took like 12 hours because this wasn't enforced.

We are going to have an hour break in between doubles and singles. So try not to wander off for a long time until then.

Thanks for letting me know Kuya

danieljosebatista

Smash Journeyman
My brother and I are looking to possibly hitch a ride with someone who's driving up to this. We're located in Miramar/Pembroke Pines, and we'd be willing to pay for gas as well. If anyone wants some driving buddies and new friends to play some friendlies with, please let me know!

Zoro

Smash Champion
Nobody should miss out on this event.

NFL

SFL

You guys need to come to this.
CFL is getting their act together with MNM. We got tons of new and old players coming into the scene once more. Most of CFL has already been convinced that the time is NOW for FL's revival of melee, Let's make this series big.

I still need them setups

Linguini

Smash Master
I'm coming to this fosho now.If I can't find a ride I will be bringing select individuals that I see worthy of riding in my car from sfl.....so probably 2 other peeps with me.

Myself and colin will continue our unstoppable winning streak in teams at this tourney.

that is all

Zoro

Smash Champion
I'm coming to this fosho now.If I can't find a ride I will be bringing select individuals that I see worthy of riding in my car from sfl.....so probably 2 other peeps with me.

Myself and colin will continue our unstoppable winning streak in teams at this tourney.

that is all
I'm not sure SFL knows about it at all. I talked to Blea a while ago and he didn't even know we were doing anything. I don't know who to talk to down there to let people know this is happenin. Linguini help me out with hypin this up to your sfl brethren.

Linguini

Smash Master
i'll do what I can man, there's a lot of underground players here that don't use the boards at all.

about the next zp tournament...zp is remodeling and is getting a much needed upgrade so the next tourney there will be fire flame.

expect it to be happening in late september!

Zoro

Smash Champion
i'll do what I can man, there's a lot of underground players here that don't use the boards at all.

about the next zp tournament...zp is remodeling and is getting a much needed upgrade so the next tourney there will be fire flame.

expect it to be happening in late september!
Sounds great dude, you know I'll be there.

Zoro

Smash Champion
I just added an attendance list and it's looking very solid so far.

I got most of the confirmations from facebook or just talking to people online or at Monday Night Melee.

For some reason people don't like going on smashboards much anymore lol.

My boy Uuaa is doing the marketing work as we speak.

Top Bottom