• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Handicap to make low tiers better

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I think in tournaments, Bowser, Samus, Captain Falcon, Link, Jigglypuff, Zelda, and Ganondorf should get a small advantage by using handicap. For all those characters except Ganon, their opponent should get a 30% handicap, and ganon's opponents should get a 50% handicap. I don't think Lucas and Mario need it.

I don't play in tournaments myself, but I watch them on youtube.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Bad idea. You do realize that people legitimately win with bottom tier characters against notable players.

:phone:

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Bad idea. You do realize that people legitimately win with bottom tier characters against notable players.

Yes, that's true, but it's very rare. I think Bowser,Mario, and Lucas are the only low tiers that have a chance at winning a great player using a top tier, but they have big disadvantages and most likely will not win. By using handicap, people would actually be able to main low tiers at tournaments and win, and it would make the game so much more interesting.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
the tier list is arbitrary and made by players. low tiers are always going to exist, there's not much point in doing something like this

but if you host a tournament, feel free.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
the tier list is arbitrary and made by players. low tiers are always going to exist, there's not much point in doing something like this

but if you host a tournament, feel free.
but the low tiers wouldn't be as bad.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Why does the list stop at Bowser? Mario is right next to him; why doesn't he get the boost?

No character needs it; people get on with their matchups just fine without it.

Also, what if it's a low tier ditto? Everyone gets 30%?

iFudge

Banned via Warnings
there low tiers for a reason

smh ppl act like only smash ,has low tiers

other fighters have low tier chars, and you dont see them having handicaps

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Horribly, Horribly arbitrary. And you know what, i'd bet my account on the low tiers not rising EVEN with a 30% handicap because of their godawfulmatchups with the higher ups.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Actually I can. My friend who uses Pikachu adds handicap to himself when I want to use Zelda. He is a nice person and wants a fair match.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Actually I can. My friend who uses Pikachu adds handicap to himself when I want to use Zelda. He is a nice person and wants a fair match.
The match is fair without a handicap.

You chose to use Zelda that's your fault.

Again if you want a balanced game go play the Balanced Brawl mod lol.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Balanced Brawl isn't balanced though.

MK is still clearly the best character in the game, and is pretty much still broken, just he kills later.

Also this is a terrible idea. It's not my fault your character sucks.

Oh wait, your character is better than the one I mained for a good 2 years.

Please handicap yourself at 50% so I can kill you in one hit.

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
At the risk of sounding horribly ignorant. What is the Ganon suicide rule exactly?
Ganon wins if he SDs on the last stock with SideB (obviously taking the opponent down with him). No matter the %.

It's not fair that my favorite characters (Link,Zelda,) were made so bad.
Another contender for lolpost of 2011
Really?
I main Sonic, I know he sucks, and I just keep putting time.
Tournaments aren't fair... someone should link this persons to Sirlin's Play to Win.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Also because Tier list placing has SUCH an effect on how good a character is.

I mean Dedede is high tier so he only has one or two really bad MUs right? clearly he should be handicapped.

(ftr BlueZelda, since you probably won't understand what I'm getting at, Dedede loses pretty hard to about 1/4 of the cast.)

Handicap is also a pretty unelegant way of doing this, if it'd be done at all.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Balanced Brawl isn't balanced though.

MK is still clearly the best character in the game, and is pretty much still broken, just he kills later.
Isn't tornado terrible in that as well?

Also killing later is pretty bad for MK in match-ups like DK or Snake.

NNID
Budget_Player
It's not fair that my favorite characters (Link,Zelda,) were made so bad.
But it's entirely your fault that you want to play as terrible characters. Whether or not they're your favorites does not matter to competitive gaming; we play to win. What's next, it's not fair that you lose because your opponent is better than you? Character choice is a part of gameplay. If you want to pick Ganon on the character select screen, that's your choice-just like SDing twice on purpose in-game could very well be your choice. It will, however, very seriously **** up your chances of winning.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
Putting all of the bias responses aside..

Putting a handicap makes things artificial. If you win, your opponent, and yourself will know that you won because of this handicap. Just like when people complain about lag when they lose.

Having a handicap will only make winning a chore. There is no fun in it, because there is no pushing against the odds. There is no accomplishment in any of this.

I am a proud Ganon/Bowser main, and I will never cheat even if I am already at a disadvantage. ;)

Top Bottom