• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geeks + Gamers Brawl Tournament (August 13, 2011)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Montgomery, AL. $10 Singles entry. 34 entrants.

1: TheReflexWonder :pt: (Pokémon Trainer) ($238.00)
2: kismet2 :metaknight: (Meta Knight) ($68.00)
3: Bill_ :sheik: (Sheik) ($34.00)
4: DRN :zerosuitsamus: :pit: :metaknight: (Zero Suit Samus, Pit, Meta Knight)
5: elev8 :popo: :dedede: (Ice Climber, King Dedede)
5: Ragnarok :metaknight: (Meta Knight)
7: Micaelis :wario: :dk2: (Wario, Donkey Kong)
7: theONEjanitor :snake: (Snake)
9: Serin :dedede: (King Dedede)
9: Cam :pikachu2: (Pikachu)
9: George :kirby2: (Kirby)
9: Ingulit :diddy: (Diddy Kong)
13: TRACE :marth: (Marth)
13: DOODE :diddy: (Diddy Kong)
13: Ryker :falco: (Falco)
13: Cheap :peach: (Peach)
17: )Lou( :snake: (Snake)
17: Mahgnittoc :diddy: (Diddy Kong)
17: Duchock :ness2: (Ness)
17: Crushaaacorey :ness2: (Ness, Snake?)
17: Ty :falco: (Falco)
17: Temp :peach: (Peach)
17: Saki :peach: :marth: (Peach, Marth)
17: shaSLAM :metaknight: (Meta Knight)
25: Joey
25: PJIZY
25: Jeremy
25: SkaterBAJ :dedede: (King Dedede)
25: Trevor
25: Regi :sonic: (Sonic)
25: Barry
25: Twinster :falco: (Falco)
33: Jake
33: Rydell

(Copy the image's location and paste it into your browser to see the bracket clearly.)

We also did a Randomized Partner Doubles tournament that had a $5-per-person buy-in, for all that's worth.

1: Micaelis + Kismet :wario: + :metaknight: ($90.00)
2: George + Reflex :kirby2:/:sheik: + :wario:/:fox:/:pt:($30.00)
3: T1J + DRN :snake: + :zerosuitsamus:/:metaknight:
4: SERIN + Raf :dedede: + :peach:/:diddy:
5: Jake + Cheap
5: Bill_ + Joey
7: Saki + Jeremy
7: Temp + Cam :pikachu2: + :pikachu2:
9: Trevor + Twinster
9: Mahgnittoc + Rachel :diddy: + :link2:
9: CrushaaaCorey + Duchock :ness2: + :ness2:

If you have any more character information, please tell me, and I'll add it.

DRN

Smash Lord
Shoutouts later. Tourney was maad fun

Saki did indeed use :marth: and :peach:. More :peach: then :marth: though i believe.

Ty used :falco:

Trace used :marth:

In teams serin used :dedede: and Raf used :peach:/:diddy: i believe or at least when they played us.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Hey, I'm Ty! and I played Falco, not Pikachu. I also played Ness for one match. If you could update that, then that would be awesome.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Fixed. Thanks.

Ty, did you win the match/set that you used Ness in?
No I lost to Ragnarok game two when I played Ness. Looking back I wish I would have stuck with my Falco for that one, but I actually did better with Ness game 2 than I did game 1.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
No I lost to Ragnarok game two when I played Ness. Looking back I wish I would have stuck with my Falco for that one, but I actually did better with Ness game 2 than I did game 1.
Well, it's really only worth putting a character if the character helped you win a set.

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
Micaelis!!!! Glad to see your using DK again!
Yeah, him and Wario both. I'm liking the combo a lot and feel really comfortable using them. Still annoying to fight D3 but I'll work around it :) I hope you make it to APEX2 so we can play again. You need to get a Tie like Will and I :D

Shameless self-advertisement:
Georgia's Next Tournament http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=308833

The only thing disappointing about this tournament is that GA was all on one side of the bracket again. Other than that it was mad fun and I loved seeing/hanging out with everyone. I'll be at AUSOM so let's do it again :D

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
yep. 2-0, went D3 both games.
Okay, I added Dedede to your name.

The only thing disappointing about this tournament is that GA was all on one side of the bracket again. Other than that it was mad fun and I loved seeing/hanging out with everyone. I'll be at AUSOM so let's do it again :D
I didn't feel that Billy really counted as GA for this tournament, seeing as how he just now moved back to Auburn. I tried to seed it well, but with people coming in at the last second, I had to completely recreate the bracket, and people were getting impatient, so I didn't spend as much time on it as I would have liked. If I had my own laptop instead of having to run in and out of the room to check on matches, it would've been better.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Reflex did you beat kismet's mk with pkt? if you did describe please or I'll eat your pokemon hat.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Good stuff, Reflex!

Good to see elev8 competing again. :)

:phone:

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i played Pit in a few of my sets. I beat Barry with Pit. I also used Pit against trace and ragnarock (but didn't win the matches i used him in)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
any vids?
I know I saved a decent amount of mine, including Winners' Finals and Grand Finals. I need to get the replays to someone who can put them on YouTube, though, because I have no means of doing that.

As for other people's videos, I couldn't tell you.

Reflex did you beat kismet's mk with pkt? if you did describe please or I'll eat your pokemon hat.
Yeah, I did. Charizard just does solidly in the matchup, and I'm really smart. Charizard was the deciding factor, for sure. He has a lot of options for dealing with most of Meta Knight's stupidity. I came back from a two-game deficit to win in Winners' Finals. I lost, 3-2, in the first set of Grand Finals, and then won, 3-1 (or 3-2, I forget). Last game, I SD'd as Charizard early on and brought it back to win on Final Destination. Very close set, for the most part.

I made some ballsy calls, too--I often tried to get something in with Ivysaur before the mandatory switch, and it paid off more often than not. Getting ~35% with Bullet Seed or KO'ing with an instant Dash Attack really did make a difference.

DRN

Smash Lord
I know I saved a decent amount of mine, including Winners' Finals and Grand Finals. I need to get the replays to someone who can put them on YouTube, though, because I have no means of doing that.

As for other people's videos, I couldn't tell you.

Yeah, I did. Charizard just does solidly in the matchup, and I'm really smart. Charizard was the deciding factor, for sure. He has a lot of options for dealing with most of Meta Knight's stupidity. I came back from a two-game deficit to win in Winners' Finals. I lost, 3-2, in the first set of Grand Finals, and then won, 3-1 (or 3-2, I forget). Last game, I SD'd as Charizard early on and brought it back to win on Final Destination. Very close set, for the most part.

I made some ballsy calls, too--I often tried to get something in with Ivysaur before the mandatory switch, and it paid off more often than not. Getting ~35% with Bullet Seed or KO'ing with an instant Dash Attack really did make a difference.
GF2 was 3-1. I loved your down B switch to getting glide attacked to ivysaurs upair for the kill lol.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
shouts

1: TheReflexWonder -- i'll be honest, I didn't expect you to win without switching to Wario. You are too ****ing sick at this game I don't even really understand it. Thanks for six stocking my Snake BRO. Hope to actually get some friendlies in next time. Also thanks for the bit of advice you gave.

4: DRN -- Good stuff in teams haha glad I got matched up with a good player! we were super close to getting in the money, oh well. Great job in singles too.

5: elev8 -- raf you still got it apparently. wish we coulda got to play more marvel. i hope you can make it out to some tournaments this fall.

5: Ragnarok -- ay i'm done with Snake/MK matchup. Never doing it again. lol nice job at getting fifth, you're too good.

9: Cam -- I didn't play you one on one, but you're kind of sick at this game yo. I could see you moving to top 5 on the PR this season.

9: George -- step your game up BRAH, you're supposed to get top 5 every time. I'm assuming you're hitting all or most of the tournaments coming up. we gotta get good before its over yo. thanks for the ride, good seein ya as always.

9: Ingulit -- Nice placing in the tournament. Watch out for Snake dash attack :)

13: TRACE -- Good Marth, Pit vs Marth is another matchup I'm not attempting anymore. Snake dittos on Delfino too good

17: Duchock -- Good to actually see you for a change, you make the car rides that much more entertaining. Your Ness was actually giving me trouble in teams haha

17: shaSLAM -- glad you could make it out, ya gotta calm down and be patient tho yo, you were getting too frustrated. You're MK yo just out gay your opponent all day. I hope everything works out with your girl.

25: Twinster -- it was fun riding with you. good job in the MM, i'd never tried Pit vs Falco, and I guess its harder than it seems. Falco's too good. I'll get my revenge soon enough.

DRN

Smash Lord
Cam I just looked at the bracket and ooooooooooooo i have a bad memory lol. I thought i had vsed u in losers and not winners which is why i thought u got 7th and not 9th.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
ANYONE WITH SAVED MATCHES THEY WANT UPLOADED SHOULD GIVE ME A CALL AND BOTHER ME UNTIL I DO IT!

That being said, I'll do shoutouts when I'm not freaking out about losing my laptop power cord at the tournament.

I seem destined to be stuck at 13th and nothing seems able to change that. I run into Rag at the same place almost every tourny.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Also, I went straight Falco. None of this sissy :metaknight: ****.

Also, also, Temp played :peach: against me. I never saw him play :pikachu:.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Shoutouts:

Reflex- I can't wait to implement some of those ideas for ASL we were formulating. It's always useful to get friendlies with you because you are always so aware of all the options for each character.

Cheap- Thanks a lot for watching the table more often than not. I'm glad you were able to beat at least one Marth at the tournament. I thought you were nuts for taking Saki to Lylat Cruise, but you have made me a believer.

Billy- Thanks for riding down with me, even if you slept the whole way there and back >.>

Ryker- We are both of the same breed. We don't like to linger in one place for a long time when there is somewhere else we want/need to go. I feel you. Getting those guys to leave for IHOP was painful. Your matches vs DRN were really close. I'll make sure you get them somehow.

Ragnarok- Close matches! I think I got lucky on the second match at Rainbow Cruise. We can do friendlies at the next tournament, and you can prove that you are significantly better than me.

DRN- I enjoyed our matches in both singles and doubles. ZSS is rare at tournaments, so I hope I get to play you again at AUSOM IV or any of the other ASL tournaments.

T1J- Those dairs have really improved your Snake game. People were commenting to me how much better you have gotten; even though I only really saw you play in doubles, I can see the difference too.

Ingulit- You're just knocking off people on your PR hit list, aren't you?

TY- Don't worry, first tournaments always go like that. Just keep playing really good players, and you will see the difference quickly.

Jeremy- Thanks for being so organized, motivated, and receptive to new ideas. If we had two more people like you, the gaming community in AL would be renowned for its professionalism and popularity.

Elev8- I need more ICs practice. You guys should come over to Auburn on some weekends and play Brawl with us.

DooDe- 13th is still good, man. You have the technical skills, now you just need to focus on reading your opponents a little better and your placement will improve in tourneys.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Shoutouts:

3) Billy: It was great to play you in friendlies before the tournament, it really helped me warm up. I'm serious about you coming to T-Town or me to Auburn, I want to practice against you sometime. Cam is spoiled :p Great job in the tournament.

7) Micaelis: Okay, okay, I did trash talk a bit much over Skype... but I'll destroy you next tournament ofc ;) Great games, and thanks for all the advice, especially for the Wario MU. I never get to play it, and what you told me about it has really changed how I will approach it (the MU that was my most feared). I hope to beat play you again soon.

7) T1J: God dammit, I think I am used to your Snake and you play Pit, and then I learn the Pit MU and you play Snake!I know you Dash Attacked a ton, and I saw it totally coming every time. I don't have any Snake experience, so while I knew it was coming, I didn't know how to punish it. Still, our games really were great, and your Snake has gotten a lot better than the last time I played it. I WILL finally beat you at AUSOM if you go though ;)

9) George: I saw that look at the beginning of the tournament ;)

13) DOODE: Sweet Jesus man, your Diddy is really, really good. You have the fundamentals down for sure, you just need to play more. I have seen very few people improve as much as you have. I hope to see you at more tournaments!

13) Ryker: We need to have a salt MM at the next tournament you're at (AUSOM); ours kept getting interrupted. From what we did play, I noticed you've gotten considerably better; I'm legit scared :x

13) Cheap: I finally got to play you in a tournament set! Our games were awesome; I've never played a good Peach before (in a tournament/on a non-laggy screen). I was worried you'd completely switched back to Melee and I wouldn't ever get to play it!

17) Ty: Congrats on 17th in your first tournament; that's DEFINITELY better than I did. You are getting much better very quickly. I talked to Spade today and he said he's interested in playing you, so play him a ton, go to more tournaments, and I'm looking forward to the day you destroy me in a tournament set :D

17) Slam: Sweet mother of Jesus our games scared the **** out of me. I haven't gotten to play your MK before, so I really didn't know what to expect. I'm sorry you got so frustrated during the matches (namely after that first early kill in game 3), since it really seemed to change how you were playing. Still, it was great to finally play you, and our matches were some of my favorite I played all tournament.

17) Saki: It was good to play you and talk and whatnot, but I have to say: Peach......... trolololololol, awesome super-secret Marth-bad-MU tech is awesome.

Reflex, Elev8, all who helped with the tournament: The tournament was awesome; thank you so much for hosting. The only thing I could think of that could be improved was the number of TVs, but even despite this the tournament was run in a very timely manner. I was really impressed.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Ingulit, if you really want to, we can have a two day smashfest or something. Since the drive is like 3 hours long

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I saved my matches too, Micaelis has my first set, and I have the set vs myself and Kismet/Cheap on my wii.

So basically if Marth didn't help me win a set I shouldn't add him? Because I only lost with him in the end against Cheap xD

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
For those that noticed I had a video camera at the tournament, here's a little of the video I got, unedited. It gets more entertaining after about the first 30 seconds, so be patient. I was just going around and talking to people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3HUbXjM7KA
Man, I look like such a fun killer at the end of this video.

DRN

Smash Lord
Short Shoutouts-

1: TheReflexWonder :pt: (Pokémon Trainer) ($238.00) Wish i got the chance to play you this tourney but good **** winning and i loved your :charizard:. U owe me a charizard mm ;D
2: kismet2 :metaknight: (Meta Knight) ($68.00) Calvin you really surprised me in our set. U adapted faster then i thought you would and i should have changed characters to mix it up second game. Great Games as always and i'll get you next time for sure. Car ride was fun and thx for your help at the tourney.
3: Bill_ :sheik: (Sheik) ($34.00) Love your sheik man. She has improved so much since you picked her up again. Glad i got to try zss vs sheik again since its been a while and it was a really fun set. Cant wait to play ya again and see how it turns out. Were always a coin flip lol.
5: elev8 :popo: :dedede: (Ice Climber, King Dedede) Fun hanging out with you as always. I'm sad we didnt play at all during the day but kinda happy i didnt play you during the tourney lol. U owe me some games next time
5: Ragnarok :metaknight: (Meta Knight) Good stuff in singles man and ggs in our set. I was watching some of your other sets and you have a really good mk. Glad i got to vs you and hopefully we get to play again sometime.
7: Micaelis :wario: :dk2: (Wario, Donkey Kong) Thanks for driving me to the tourney and sorry calvin and I fell asleep on the way back from the tourney lol. I suck at fighting against the need to sleep :[. Good **** with your wario and donkey kong. I'm glad i didnt run into you in tourney like we usually do every oos lol.
7: theONEjanitor :snake: (Snake) Teams was maaad fun and im glad i got paired up with you. You were really good in teams and we got soooo close to the money(jipppppeeeddd).
9: Cam :pikachu2: (Pikachu) You really surprised me in singles man. First game was insanely close and scared me lol. I wish my pikachu was as good as yours :[ and i'm glad i got to vs you. I need as much pikachu experience as i can get with esam moving into the area and all. Good stuff in singles
13: DOODE :diddy: (Diddy Kong) Ggs man our first game pit vs diddy was so close. I was surprised since i was pretty confident in the match up and i wasnt sure if you had any experience in it yourself. Glad i got to vs you though cause it showed me my pit still has a long way to go.
13: Ryker :metaknight: :falco: (Meta Knight, Falco) Great job booty ****** my mk w/ falco lol. I have no idea what to do in that match up but calvin wanted me to do it for experience. Ggs zss vs falco and hopefully we can play again sometime.
17: Saki :peach: :marth: (Peach, Marth) :[ we didnt get to play any friendlies but i'm glad you have been working on your peach. Shes looking good and seems like she is just lacking tourney experience atm. Lets play more next time

Top Bottom