• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NYTE: Southwestern Regional Tournament Planning Thread - Venue: Hotel Arizona!

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Tournament Thread - http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=309171

Well, this is something I wanted to do for a long time, but to be honest, the opportunity has never been better till now. With a financial backing behind me, I can actually do this: Nicknyte's Yearly Tournament Extravaganza (NYTE) A Melee/Brawl Tournament for the Arizona region, based in Sierra Vista, AZ. Now I would like it to be in Sierra Vista, but as this thread generates more buzz, if any, I will think of moving to Tucson or Phoenix. Most likely Tucson, because my car is sheet. So, my planning is in a couple stages here and there. Now, as this is a Regional this will be a tournament for the 4 corner states, and more than likely, SoCal is going to come, cause SoCal always comes. So let us break this down.

BTW, there will be brawl (lol). It is financially lucrative to have it at the tournament, as more people = more money to pay the venue.

I. Venue

The Hotel Arizona in Tucson, AZ.
Pretty much this. Ill have more pictures next time I got to Tucson.

II. Time and Date (currently established with the hotel)
April 7-8
Saturday 10am - 11:59pm
Sunday 10am - 11pm

III. Events

Melee Singles
Melee Doubles
Brawl Singles
Brawl Doubles

*~Low Tier Side Tourney~*

Crews: (AZ VS. The West or Four Corners Vs. AZ)

IV. Transportation
This is prolly the biggest discussion I have with Vman. Lets be honest, by having a tournament in SV, we literally block East Coast from attending this, or make it really hard for people to come. I don't wanna drive back and forth between Tucson to pick up people in my poor aging Nyte Ryder(tm). So its basically getting more recognition from the community by keeping it in Tucson. I really wish we had an international airport down here. Like I said, if it is financially better to have it here, I will, but I really think we will even out the costs if the tournament is in Tucson.

V. Advertising/Hype

Pending discussion...also HHHHHHHYYYYYYYPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I will break each of these down as I get a chance, I just want to create the thread at the moment. I will work on this shortly.

FoxFireMage

Smash Apprentice
I know of people that give rides out of Tucson for such things, so I can help. As well as bring the hype to the Tucson/AZ scene. Will be great to see this progress

:phone:

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Elvis, I'd highly consider changing the ruleset as following:

Swiss instead of pools. 5 rounds initially, until you hit the 48 man threshhold, then for 64 and above add additional rounds until were left with one undefeated, and no x-1s miss out.

48+ is top 16 single or double elimination based on time constraints.

as for stages, I HIGHLY recommend we adopt the "no Johns" stage ruleset for a variety of reason's, which I'd be happy to expand on if necessary.

additionally this clause should be in effect:

cheering is accepted and encouraged, but any sort of negativity such as sarcasm, facetious remarks, insults, etc should not be tolerated.

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
I don't think there's that many in Tucson capable of driving OoSers to SV, perhaps around Tucson though. Tucson really is the ideal location for this since it's in the middle. I don't think people from Phoenix and SV would want to drive to each other's towns for 3 hours when Tucson is 1-1.5 hours from both.

You can try contacting Arcade in a Box if they would do another Melee/Brawl regional with us, like when Forward hosted once. They don't really have TV's for us there though like their old venue,.

UofA could work, but for a regional with more than just Melee now, we'll probably need more space than what was at SAST2, that room was pretty full and it was just melee.

Smurfy EXE

Smash Apprentice
I really hope we can get alot of people to come, and Instate tourney, a big one, would be great! :D

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
@Dreadly I like that Idea. No need to explain the No Johns ruleset, I intend to read it thoroughly shortly. I would like to have the normal pools into 16 man bracket if we get a 48+ man bracket. Swiss, is more catered to a smaller crowd, because of its time. I will crunch some numbers and get back to that suggestion. The only reason why I would use Unity rule set is so I could get advertising on smashboards up on the top of the page. I am open to anything lol :D

With this clause:
cheering is accepted and encouraged, but any sort of negativity such as sarcasm, facetious remarks, insults, etc should not be tolerated.
Negativity is really only in the person who is getting dissed on. Stupid....AZ d*ck chant. Anyway, sarcasm isn't what I call negative, but a tone of speech I even use. I cannot patrol a tournament of people exercising their first amendment rights. If someone starts something at a tournament, I will exercise my option to remove them from a tournament, but I cannot just bar people from talking. It is someone's own personal mental strength to deal with someone who is annoying, and if it gets to a point that not even you can deal with it, I will sort them accordingly.

@BigBossOfFlorence Arcade In A Box is too small. Much smaller than it was last time. Its not going to be what we need. More than likely, this looks like it will be a Tucson affair, but SV is sooooooooooo comfy. lol

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
true, it is a bit smaller i forgot.

As for Unity ruleset for Brawl, it's what you should probably use. It's what we've been using for Brawl tourneys in AZ now.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Well, if I could make all the money in the world with a strictly Melee tournament, I would, but as I said before:

I don't like brawl, but when It comes to money, I don't discriminate. Haters gonna hate.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Swiss is faster than pools, and if people from out of state come, this would be the perfect chance to expose them to that type of tournament structure.

As for the negativity thing, it was something I experienced at Genesis vs MacD. People were relatively pleasant throughout the weekend except during that set, and it really wore on my nerves. I have no problem with people cheering against me. I'm used to it, to some extent, but it really wears on my nerves when people are being obviously malicious about it.

Napos

Smash Ace
So you want Brawl over there for money? Not for the love of Smash as a game...I'm hurt....

Tokyoinamerica

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tokyodown
First off this is awesome, but I think even if the venues are a little more pricey you have to throw the event in Phoenix.

It would be much simpler for OOS players to get from Sky Habor to venue if it's in Phoenix.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Not necessarily. Tucson is not as big as phoenix. Also, the major places to run tournaments is not that drastically far from the airport. Lastly, I rather hold a tournament in a town I am familiar with. I am not going to force people to come, but if someone wants to hold a tournament in Phoenix, they are more than welcome to. I, for one, will not. NYTE will be most likely held in Tucson. That's my final decision.

I can't control what people say, unfortunately. I can try to say, keep it civil, but MacD's fanbase are full of jerks :D

BTW, I love smash and money, why not get along?

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Haters gonna hate, I didnt know we were still doing the brawl vs melee thing? Who cares?

Tucson is about to be the smash hub of az best believe. Very hype for the potential of this

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
Tucson is a much more pleasant city to host in compared to Phoenix anyway. The temp is a cooler than Phoenix since we aren't a huge-ass heat island. Tucson smells a lot better than Phoenix. It's not hard to navigate through Tucson at all since we don't have a million freeways going throughout our city, so traffic isn't bad.

Haters gonna hate, I didnt know we were still doing the brawl vs melee thing? Who cares?

Tucson is about to be the smash hub of az best believe. Very hype for the potential of this
Melee vs Brawl will never go away. It's science.

The potential for this IS huge, Tucson really will become a smash hub.

I want to be around for this when it happens :o
damn straight Carl, I better see you at this tourney.

I miss you.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
This is the cluster wut that is my life right now.

1. I set up a reservation at the Windmere Hotel for a 60 man tournament on March 17-18th. We would have a projector, internet, TV, and it would only be $900 dollars for 2 days. You got that? A two day tournament. lol

Now, Tucson is where it gets sticky.

I called up two places and drew estimates from the U of A.

First I called the Tucson Expo center, $1500 min for one day. No dice.

Then I called the TCC, $700 dollars for 2 days, but the electricity kills us. The bill for the electricity would be $1400 dollars alone. That's a $42 dollar entry fee. Oh hells no.

Finally I checked out the U of A. We could do a 1 day tournament, but just for the day would be $900 dollars...

Tucson, in order to make this happen, I need a venue up there that will hold a 60 man tournament with at least 1000 dollars for 2 days. The higher we go in price, the more the venue fee will cost. I really do not want venue costing more than $20 bucks, or $1200 dollars for a 60 man tourney. Please look around and find quotes for me, or give me ideas of places we can run this thing.

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
For transportation I know I can provide a car in Tucson and I can probably convince two of my friends to bring there two cars. The only thing I would ask is whoever I pick up to compensate me like $5 for gas other than that I am down to help.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 6:34 AM
Subject: Axe Consumer Services Case #: 8641827
To: Nicknyte@SPAMBLOCKgmail.com

Hello Elvis,

Thank you for contacting us regarding Axe Product .

Thank you for inviting the Unilever United States Foundation to support your efforts.

While we are pleased to provide support for numerous worthy causes, Unilever focuses on supporting initiatives aligned with our areas of business. Specifically, we support the following areas:

Building Healthier Lifestyles for Families & Children with a focus on Good Nutrition, Active Healthy Lifestyles, Building Self-Esteem, and Hunger Relief

Better for the Planet with a focus on Climate Change, Water Conservation, Waste & Packaging, and Environmental Preservation

Due to the number of requests we receive for product donation, we have made the decision to provide product to two (2) not-for-profit organizations with nation-wide reach for distribution to relevant food banks and other organizations across the country.

Additionally, the guidelines for the Unilever United States Foundation, Inc. preclude the use of financial grants for sponsorships, events, dinners or goodwill advertising.

We are therefore unable to fulfill your request. We appreciate the invitation extended to us and wish you the very best.

Sincerely,

Your friends at Axe
Well, no sponsorship from Axe. You are always breaking my balls, Jeff. lol

Anyway, TCC is expensive, Arizona allows for one day tournaments. By this point, I am bringing out the big guns. Gents, this is our dream location.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=H...j-SEVJhH8Kmwwsw&gl=us&mra=ls&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=13

Holiday Inn. Look at that location. Right next to the I-10, 4 miles away from the airport, for maximum OoSer action. Hotel rooms are here so you can SLEEP at the venue. If I find a good price here, then NYTE will be held here. Ill let you know what the price quotes are soon.

Anjila

Smash Cadet
You may want to keep NYTE from being too close to WHOBO, since it will take place around the same March/April time frame. I know some would be happy that there would be less Brawl players, but it'll also mean less money for you, since most would probably prefer to attend WHOBO if they were only able to afford one.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Thanks for the heads up. April seems like the way to go, because I want the tournament during the spring, and not during people's finals. It cant be March, because of the Gem Show.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
We got a venue. Hotel Arizona. lol

This is the specs we are bargaining with.

2 day tournament
$500 dollars a day
Venue is open officially from 10am-1am Saturday and 10am - 12am (That gives us time for crews)
April 7-8 is our scheduled date.
Venue will be between 20-25 dollars. Imma keep it 20. The more people we get, the lower it gets. Ill start lowering venue at 64 people.
Less than 1 mile from the I-10
15 Mins away from the airport

2,376 sq feet/250 maximum capacity aka WALKING SPAAAACCEE

http://maps.google.com/maps?pq=hote...=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Any objections? I am very open to discussion

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
we would get scraped so bad in AZ vs The West
unless it was like, 5-man crews

btw socal would have to drive like, 8 hours to get to tucson :/

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
SoCal Has car, will drive. Its not an unbearable trip. Seriously. As long as one can make it in a day, it shouldnt be a prob In my opinion.

TommyDerMeister

Smash Lord
8 hours is nothing compared to the 12+ hours drive I rode to and from Genesis, and there was even car trouble on the way back making more like 16 hours.

They'll get over it.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
No offense to SoCal, but just because they happen to be the star community this side of the country, doesn't mean we have to move the tournament merely 2 hours north more (not including traffic) to make it easier for them to travel. That seems really not logical. I am sure SoCal will be more than happy spending 15 more dollars of gas to steal $2500 worth of prize money. lol

Hotels are cheaper too. :D

Top Bottom