• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NYTE SW Regional REGISTER!! Axe B-Day, M2K, STAB, Twins!- IMPULSE Circuit

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
PRE-REG OVAH! GENERAL VENUE IS $25!! SPECTATOR $15!!!

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!​

FACEBOOK EVENT PAGE! 50+ GOIN'​

GOT A SET UP? GET A DISCOUNT OFF VENUE!! CLICK HERE!​

HOUSING THREAD, MAN! Wait, is this Magenta? HELL YEAH, IT'S MAGENTA!​

CLICK HERE FOR EXTRA HYPE!!!!​

DO DO DO DO BRAWL HYPE VID (Mad funny)​

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present to you...
Southwest Regional Smash Tournament! Part of the IMPULSE Melee Qualifier Series!

NYTE is a part of the IMPULSE Circuit. This means that the 2 people from the Southwest (this includes Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, and Texas) that place the highest in Melee singles at this tournament will be awarded venue fee, singles, and doubles to help them show up to IMPULSE.

If two or more people from the eligible states are tied in placing, the tie breaker is solved by who placed higher in doubles. If this is still a tie, or you teamed with that person, then a 1v1, best 2 out of 3 set will happen between those renaming players, and the winner of that gets the prize.

The winners will be registered automatically. If you wish to give your prize to someone else, then you can simply register for them. Hence we register you, while you pay for your friend when you register them, thus indirectly awarding the prize to whomever you may choose to give it too. Therefore if you can not go to IMPULSE, there is a means of transferring the prize. Failure to attend IMPULSE without transferring the prize, results in the prize going to the next person from the eligible states that placed the highest in singles. Same rules apply for the tie breaker as well.

Held in beautiful Downtown Tucson, AZ in the spring, this tournament is going to be the biggest regional in the Southwest Area. With a 2500 sq. ft. room, we intend to have a tournament that will be talked about for years to come! If you would like information please call me at (520)456-5378

The venue...

The Hotel Arizona
181 W Broadway
Tucson, AZ 85701

SPACIOUS!

RubyIris above is the security guard, and won't leave until you get here! :D

The Hotel Arizona in Downtown Tucson, adjacent to the I-10 and also a venue you can sleep at! There is a swimming pool on the second floor, and beautiful scenery around, including a bumpin' night life!

LODGING!
So you have to sleep somewhere, right? Well, there is 2 places for you to lodge. On one hand you have the ability to sleep at the venue, which is more expensive. On the flipside, you can stay at the Days Inn across the interstate, next to the CARL'S JR. :3 I'd would walk if I were you.

I'd house you myself...if I lived in Tucson :D

The rates are as follows (for 4 people total, not per person)

Hotel Arizona: $100/night

Perks:
AT THE VENUE!
Free Breakfast!
Directly near downtown! (Late night concerts and Night life)

Days Inn: $55/night

Perks:
9 minute walk!
Next to Carl's Jr.
Free CONTINENTAL Breakfast (aka the BREAD-BUFFET)

I will be personally rooming at Days Inn.

RULESETS!
MBR Ruleset: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=313252
Brawl Ruleset: Modified Japanese Ruleset (Check post below)
64 Ruleset: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=295918

These rulesets will be enforced, and not tampered with.

EVENTS!

Melee Single/Doubles
Brawl Single/Doubles
64 Singles (AZ's Professional 64 crowd will not be squandered!)
Melee/Brawl Low Tier Side tournament

SCHEDULE!

Proposed Schedule (Free Meals are not included with your tournament, you jackwagons):
Saturday:

8am: TV setup and Registrations
10am-12pm: Registration & Free Play
12p-4p: Doubles Pools
5p-6p: Dinner Break
6p-12am: Singles Pools/64 Singles Tournament

Sunday
10am-12p: Free Play, Easter Prayer* (for those wishing to attend), & Lunch
12p-3p: Doubles Bracket
3p-7p: Singles Bracket
7p-11p: Side Event & Dinner
12am: CLOSE

*I am well aware that NYTE occurs on Easter, and I will encourage those of the Christian faith to go to church before the tournament starts up again at 12. A person's conviction to God should be greater than any tournament, and I will refuse myself to make another person feel guilt for something they think is just. If you cannot go on Sunday, I will understand. If it makes you feel any better I will hold a short prayer before the tournament begins on behalf of the day.

I would appreciate those who like to make fun or take away the importance of this day to withhold their comments. There is no room for such apathy and intolerance.

I would like to remind that Sundays in the Christian religion is a day of feast and celebration, especially on Easter (I was raised Catholic and not many people know that Sundays are not included in Lent). If anything, keep this in mind if you do decide to go or not. I wish you a happy Easter. ^_^

Directions to Church from Venue. It's a 7 minute walk. (St. Augustine Cathedral: Mother Cathedral of the Diocese of Tucson) http://g.co/maps/t39q5

Masses:

6:30am English, Recited, No Hymns
8 am Spanish, Sung, Mariachi
10 am English, Sung, Choir
12 Noon English, Sung, Choir
5:30pm Spanish, Sung, Coro Alabanza

PAYOUTS!!!

Singles Bracket Payout
1st: 50% of pot
2nd: 25% of pot
3rd: 10% of pot
4th: 5% of pot
5th: 3% of pot
5th: 3% of pot
7th: 2% of pot
7th: 2% of pot

Doubles Payouts
1st - 60% of pot
2nd - 30% of pot
3rd - 10% of pot

PRE-REG PRICES!

Pools with Double Elim for all events, except the Side tournament, which is just Double Elim.

Venue and Spectator Fee is nonrefundable. Tournament entry fees, however, are.

Regular Venue: $20 (after pre-reg, will be $25 bucks)
Spectator Entry Fee: $10 (after pre-reg, will be $15 bucks)
YOU CANNOT ENTER WITHOUT PAYING THE VENUE OR THE SPECTATOR FEE. I WILL CHECK IF PEOPLE ENTERED TOURNAMENT WITHOUT PAYING VENUE, WHICH THEY WILL BE KICKED OUT, OR FORCED TO PAY THE DIFFERENTIAL
Melee Singles Entry: $20
Melee Doubles Entry: $15 (per person)
Brawl Singles Entry: $15
Brawl Doubles Entry: $10
64 Singles: $10
Brawl/Melee Low Tier Side Tournament: $5

As I update this thing within the month, I will provide pictures of the venue, and pre-registration information. Since the tournament is in April, plan your schedules for 2 nights in Tucson!

REGISTRATION DETAILS

Registration at the door details:

If you want to register a bit before the tournament you have 2 chances: During the March 31st (tickets here will be 20 dollars) Tucson Monthly tournament & The Pre-Nyte Good Friday tournament on April 6th. (tickets here will be 25).

If you must absolutely have to register at the door, we need to get a few things straight:

I am not responsible for putting you into a possible "deathpool" due to the fact your lazy hindquarters showed up after Pre-reg (after March 31st). You've had 8 months to sign up, you won't get 5 minutes from me.

There will be someone checking your tickets if you want to get into the venue fast. You can print them out at any time (I believe). If you forget them, you will have to stand in line while I check your registration.

Spectators are not allowed unless they have paid the $15 door fee. The set-up discount applies to them as well, so take advantage. And yes, you can play friendlies, but not attend tournament.

If you have a set up, please let me know IN ADVANCE, even if you intend to register at the door! I would like to have all my chickens counted so we don't have a lack of Setups, we can setup fast, and I can appropriately refund you at the door.

I am not responsible for your lost gear during the duration of the tournament! But if you happen to lose it afterwards, I will make sure that I will collect every piece of gear, take it home, and send it back home to you, no shipping or handling.

Keep the venue clean! I do not want to play extra money for you fuggin up the rugs at the venue, and trashing it. I would like to hold this event again.

SETUPS!!

This is the important part. I need you, the community, to help us out by bringing in your set ups! Anyone who brings in a Full TV, 64, Brawl, and Melee setup all together, will have NO VENUE FEE. Anyone bringing just a TV and a set up will have 5 dollars knocked off (this can be stacked for full free venue, not for free tourney entry(ies)). Please contact me if you would like to take advantage of this discount. This is wholy dependent on first come, first serve, so if we are overbooked with TVs and setups, then you will not be able to use the discount. WE ALSO NEED POWER SUPPLIES. BE SURE TO BRING SOME AND I WILL DISCOUNT YOU. Click the link below.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=14239416&postcount=797

~ Nicknyte

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Update [April 5, 2012]:

Registration List:

Brawl, Melee, 64, Multi

B-Rex
Byrdman
Icedtray
Ja Rule the Science Fool
Jane 64/Brawl
Morino 64/Melee
Oksas 64/Melee
Silly Kyle EVERYTHING.
SmileyFace/SFA 64/Brawl
SmurfyEXE 64/Melee
WestBallz 64/Melee
Beedle
Dark Shifter
Dekar
DerpDaBerp
FIRA
FOE
Gene
Goyf
Herro
KiraFlax
Lance
Maize
Rave Remix
tekkie
TommyDerMeister
Vee
baka4moe
Chess
commonyoshi
Coreygames
Erich
GamerGuitarist7
Jackie Tran
Light_
OkamiBW
Piman
Rubyiris
ShellShocked
Sliraobe God
stabbedbyanipple
SUNG666
Tai
Taj? WILL HE PLAY?!
The Crimson Blur
Twin_A
Twin1
Wobbles

and of course:

AXE

Brawl Ruleset: Japanese Ruleset

1. 3 stocks
2. 10-minute timer (Pools matches may run on an 8-minute timer)
3. Best-of-3 sets (WF, LF, and GF will be best-of-5)
4. Double elimination
5. All items off
6. Team attack on
7. Changing controls allowed
8. Pause is turned off

-----------Limiting Rules/Bans-----------
1. No modified controllers
2. No using infinites for stalling purposes
3. No bugs of any kind
4. No Infinite Dimensional Cape (incidental use of IDC is tolerable)
5. Ledge grab limit of 50
6. No scrooging (player may travel under the stage once from the ledge)
* "Traveling under the stage once from the ledge" is defined as dropping off the ledge on one side of the stage and reaching the height of the original ledge on the other side of the stage.
Exceptions to Rule 6:
When one of the players is attacked by the other and takes damage.
[There is one other exception, but I don't understand it. I'll update this once I get a clarification from RAIN, or if someone else can figure out what it means from the Japanese version.]

-----------Set Format-----------
Game 1:
1. Stage-striking order and controller ports are determined by Rock-Paper-Scissors
2. Rock-Paper-Scissors loser strikes one of the three Starter stages
3. Rock-Paper-Scissors winner strikes one of the remaining two Starter stages
4. Players select their characters (players may elect to have a double-blind character selection)

Game 2 (and so on):
1. Loser may select controller port
2. Winner may ban a stage from the Counterpick list
3. Loser selects one of the remaining stages
4. Winner chooses character
5. Loser chooses character
6. Repeat steps 1-5 until the set is decided

-----------Stages-----------
Starter:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville

Counterpick:
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1

-----------Timeouts-----------
In the event that a match goes to time, the victor will be decided by the following steps, in order:
1. Number of ledgegrabs (if one player exceeds 50 ledgegrabs, that player will be declared the loser)
2. Number of remaining stocks
3. Amount of damage percent
4. If stocks and damage percent identical, the match will be replayed on the same stage, with each player at one stock.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
What I am going for is...well, a multiregional Tournament, but whoever wants to come can. . I intend to make trophies :D 3 for everyone to earn, and the final 3 for only Southwestern smashers.

First place Melee Singles
First place Brawl Singles
First place 64 Singles

Southwest Melee Champion
Southwest Brawl Champion
Southwest 64 Champion

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I can most likely make it to this along with a crew of fellow Utah players.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Once again... Phoenix people, I have money. I have a set-up. I have determination. I don't have a car.

If you can supply me with a seat in your vehicle, I can supply you with untold treasures such as currency, cash, dollars, or even money. If I do not receive a PM, IM, or text from someone willing to adopt me to their transportation plans within the next 3 days, I will be forced to contact individuals and put you on the spot. Doesn't that suck? : D

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
wtf
where are me, wobbles, gg7, and taj
in the thread title

Because Wobbles gg7 and taj and you never said you were coming yet. Are you gonna come :p I dont automatically promise stuff without confirmation. That would be rude :O

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
whats the difference between first place champ and southwest champ? lol
First Place Champ is the one who wins it all regardless of region.
Southwest champ is the highest ranking Southwest player in said bracket.

Basically first place and southwest champ can be the same if they win and live here in the same region.

First Place from SoCal can win, but Southwest Player from Second place will get the Southwest Champ because he's the highest in the placing, or until the next person.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
I'm evil, but, Imma go around the U of A, posting flyers everywhere around a week before the tournament, get some scrubbies to attend to increase towards the pot and venue. :D

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
If you want more scrubs to attend, put my name in the title.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
BTW I'm really serious about this, Elvis. I cannot stress how much I think you should run Swiss. AZ has already had positive exposure to the tournament structure, and this would be the perfect opportunity to expose the rest of the world, or at least the SW/WC regions to it.

Don't fall into the "Because it's the way we've always done it" trap.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980

Falco is only like, in Yoshi's Top 3 hardest in all the smash games, I got this ;D

Rubyiris

Smash Hero

Falco is only like, in Yoshi's Top 3 hardest in all the smash games, I got this ;D
Yey. :3

@Tony:

I fail to see what else we need to test. There are many other competitive games that run swiss without a hitch that get far larger turnouts than Melee.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Im not afriad of the whole "its because it has always been done" scenario. This is my first tournament I've run at this scale, and I don't feel like experimenting with people with the Swiss format. I don't want to expose anything or care about exposing the current format.

Also, to be honest, its a financial risk. I don't like making financial risks if I don't see a possibility for gains. I mean, yea, if we were to hold a tournament at the U, for our state, as we almost do, we could experiment with swiss. I just don't feel safe doing it. If you think holding a regional with swiss is of your liking, I encourage you to do it. Not at this one. If you need to sway my decision, please find me a regional tournament with a swiss format that was run within the last couple years that went well. Something with over 64 people.

tl;dr Financial risk, lack of swiss tournament knowledge, not "this is always how its been done" (LOL IHOP)

BTW, anyone wanna change IHOP for waffle house? I know I do.

Top Bottom