• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Idea to attract Pokemon/UMVC3/Street Fighter players to Apex 2012.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Alright. We got the news yesterday that Apex 2012 will be having four major events added. UMVC3 (Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3), SSF4AE(Super Street fighter4 Arcade Edition) and my favorite, Pokemon Black/White (which will be having two separate tournaments)!!!

If you didn't get the news, here is the link.

http://apexsmash.com/

The idea is to attract top players from each game area. This will not only increase the attendance at the event, but it also advertise Super Smash Bros. the game itself and be commercialized and rated as one of the greatest smash tournaments of all time!! This is a chance to show other fighting game players that the Smash community has an Evo as well.

Lets start off with each game.

SSF4AE (Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition) : This game has generated the most hype above all fighting games since Evo 2k11. From Poongko hyping up the crowd to Fuudo winning the whole tournament, SSF4AE has been rated as the most viewed and talked about game in the whole fighting game genre. The idea is to attract players like Daigo Umehara, Justin Wong and other top players. If there are any players that know any Top SF players on the internet or in person, please contact them. This will boost the popularity for smash and may attract SF players to Smash.

UMVC3 (Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3) : Since MVC 3 came out earlier this year, it attracted new players and new players that play different fighting games. With new characters like Dante, the game generated a lot of excitement and an urge to play competitively. With the idea of inviting players like Tokido, Mine, Marn and Justin Wong to this event, the smash community will grow tremendously with sponsors, prize money and advertisements. If anyone knows any players on the internet or in person, please contact them.

Pokemon Black/White (Two separate tournaments) : Pokemon Black/White version has created an urge for competitive play in your local tournaments or on WIFI. The game is rated as the most popular, most played and top selling game for the Nintendo DS. With the triple battle system and chatting with friends on WIFI, it creates a fun experience for players. With two separate tournaments, the chances of receiving prize money is higher. If we can invite players like PimpNite and Marriland to the event, the Pokemon Black/White event will create a great turn out. So if you know anyone on the internet or in person who plays Pokemon Black/White, please contact them.

Attracting players from each game will grow the smash community with more sponsors, higher prize rates, and more attendance. If their is any time to increase the tournament attendance for the smash community.... THE TIME IS NOW!!!!

crush

Smash Master
Wow sinji. I applaud you for what you're doing for the smash community. This is a great idea. Although we didn't get along well in the past, let's put that all behind us and be friends.

Lol just kidding ur still dumb umad bro?

:phone:

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Someone ask Markman to get Madcatz to sponsor the event.

If Madcatz comes, there is a chance that Daigo, Tokido and Mago will be flown over if this event is big enough.

Get Sp00ky on the stream. Any tourney with Sp00ky streaming is auto-legit. And, of course, get Melee on the Sp00ky stream kthx.

finally, make a thread on SRK.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
FIFTH GEN YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Time to double check the rules (haven't played in months lol) and get ready to win.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
**** son.

I might actually go to Apex now.

But I swear to god it better be Smogon's rules for singles.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Smogon is terrible though.

They've gone massively downhill since about 3/4 the way through Gen 4.

Also make it Ubers.... pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Why do we want them. They aren't going to fall in love with Melee, they are already set in their opinion of us. We'll see I guess.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Because the people who are actually going to come for SSFIVAE and UMvC3 probably won't be those bad players on SRK who like to **** on Melee to make them feel better about being awful players?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Smogon is terrible though.

They've gone massively downhill since about 3/4 the way through Gen 4.

Also make it Ubers.... pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.
Okay how about Smogon rules + Garchomp and Brightpowder? :3

But yeah I'm hype for such a round tourney like this. I feel like everything I love is going to be there.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839

If Madcatz comes, there is a chance that Daigo, Tokido and Mago will be flown over if this event is big enough.

Get Sp00ky on the stream. Any tourney with Sp00ky streaming is auto-legit. And, of course, get Melee on the Sp00ky stream kthx.

Yea thats a great idea. Madcatz should sponsor the event.

Does the venue even have room for this? If we are in the same place, then it shouldn't...we barely had enough room for smash last year.
The space shouldn't be an issue. The Venue will be organized enough to accommodate everyone.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration

The madcatz idea sounds nice.

Pretty sure VG is streaming everything so I don't think Sp00ky could, but I heard Sp00ky is very interested in streaming for smash.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I would quit Melee if it had Critical Hits.

:troll:

Hyped for the rest of the fighters going to be there though! I wish I had at least some background in trad. fighters so I could try them out without embarrassing myself. All you smashers who are also good at SF and MvC better represent for us! ^_^

5th gen ewwww. Needs more pokemon puzzle league imo.
YES.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Posting for dmbrandon:

Hey Guys, it's dmbrandon. I'm gonna make a quick announcement before going back to being a twitter *****! (Seriously, follow me @diembrandon and definitely follow @apex_series and @juicegaming. These are three twitter accounts you'll want to be following if you want up to the minute news on everything Smash Bros!)

Just so you know, we're already going to have some sort of content posted to both Apexsmash.com and the front page of AllisBrawl.com every Thursday until Apex2012 concludes! This coming week's announcement is going to be massive, so make sure you stick around and check it out! Aside from that, we want to let all of you knnow that we're doing our best to accommodate all questions and concerns to make this event the greatest event in gaming history!

Also know, we can't hear everything. If you need to get something across to us, go to Apexsmash.com and use the contact form! If you need to talk to us individually, hit the staff page!

Now, to address some of the concerns on this thread. I don't know how often I'll be checking this, so again, contact me on apexsmash.com!

@Sinji!

First, thanks so much for helping us hype this event up! Also, you're on the right track! We're already working on contacting not only the players, but their sponsors, and much, much more! We're doing our best on our end, but we need the support of the SMASH COMMUNITY! So, all the naysayers need to take a back seat until after Apex. We can already promise that Apex, if it were tomorrow, would already be the best event Smash will have ever seen! Luckily, we still have over four months to finish planning and polishing the bells ans whistles that are going to make #Apex2012 the best event on the planet!

@Mr. Wizzrobe and all other people asking for fourth gen!:

The problem is that Nintendo sponsors pokemon, and we're doing out damnedest to have them attend. For now, we have to push Black and White as we're trying to push the metagame to the max! Stick with it!

@Anthony:

Spooky streaming the Capcomy side of things is definitely something we're looking into. You can expect a thread on SRK, and EH by mid September. Before we go ahead and list them, there are a few details that we have to iron out, but trust me, we're on top of it.

@People who aren't supportive of having the SRKers because they don't support us:

This is how Racism started! Have an open mind. Our goal is to not only make them see Smash is godlike, but to have the Smash community see that traditional fighters are just as amazing!!!

@TheCrimsonBlur:

Last year, the schedule and floorplan was a mess. This year, in the same space, we're going to have a ton more events, at least 20 (up to 40) free play stations for Smash, and seating for the main event for a good portion of the attendance! We'll be releasing that information in October. Until then, keep your hopes up, because there is no way you'll be let down!

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Traditional fighters are not as amazing.

TS;DR: Traditional fighters are not as amazing as Melee.

=ArtH=

Smash Apprentice
So I was randomly browsing Smashboards because SRK is down and I saw this thread. If you want people from other games to come (especially top players) first make sure you have enough space to even fit people, then make sure you have a big enough prize to get them to even consider coming. Have a pot bonus or something.

Also wtf I just saw this is in NJ. I'm coming I guess lol. Haven't played Smash in like 4 years. This is piskooooo from SRK btw.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
there is def enough space that is not an issue. Plus with Diem doing the floor plan it will be gdlke.

stay tuned for more info

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Just so you guys know, these aren't major events at Apex in terms of matching up to Melee and Brawl - which are the true focus being available all 3 days with hundreds and hundreds of attendees for each.

However, it doesn't mean that the events shouldn't be downplayed. I'm going to be doing my best with my cohosts to make sure Pokemon goes great - which will be on Friday. dm and the crew has SSF4AE2012 (I hate this name lmao) and UMvC3 on lock for Saturday. Keep this in mind when playing multiple events. Pokemon specifically runs very fast and is very important to keep attention to, since matches are constantly happening since there are limitless setups. If you're not entering Melee, entering in Pokemon will be a breeze. If you're playing Pokemon and Melee, you are able to do it, but you'll have to be very careful with your time management to make sure neither your pools nor your Pokemon matches are held up.

There are two events for Pokemon, that will be ran back to back. The events are standard singles and VGC 2012. The ruleset for singles is not done yet, though it will likely be the same as either Pokemon Online or Smogon, so people can log on to those servers and practice for the event. VGC 2012 rules are not announced yet, but hopefully should be within the next two months. Whenever we get word on what they are from Nintendo, we will pass the word onto all of you.

As for building excitement, I can't comment on the fighters - but Pokemon is unique in this. There isn't really any power ranking per se or clear bests (outside of VGC I suppose). There are so many competent players in this game, it's going to be exciting to see who comes out on top. Don't forget that many members of the Smash community also play competitive Pokemon (and are pretty damn good at it too lol). To help build excitement and get people prepared for playing in person (which I can tell from experience in entering in online and in person events, is VERY different) - I will soon be holding Pokemon events at my CLASH Tournaments, likely in a venue just 15 minutes from Apex running the same format.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I'm guessing you're a Serebii noob or something?
No, I'm a smogonite.

I just kinda quit going there about 6 months ago due to the retardedness in the suspect testing threads. Oh and SDS thinking he knew everything about VGC... -_-

I try to play OU.... but the meta was pretty ******** 6 months ago.

Seems to be a bit more stable now though.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
The madcatz idea sounds nice.

Pretty sure VG is streaming everything so I don't think Sp00ky could, but I heard Sp00ky is very interested in streaming for smash.
If it really is supposed to be the biggest smash tournament ever, 2 streams doesnt seem that farfetched.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
If sp00ky decides to do some streaming for Smash, then for the love of god get some players on there that you know will put on a good show for the people who are a little fresh to Smash. Nairo, the Europeans, etc...people with tight control over their characters and a whole lot of flash. It would certainly go a long way instead of boring them to tears with the styles of some of our higher ups who shall not be mentioned, at least as an introductory sequence.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I don't think sp00ky is streaming smash, vgbc is partnered with apex, though who knows he might stream capcom?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
If sp00ky decides to do some streaming for Smash, then for the love of god get some players on there that you know will put on a good show for the people who are a little fresh to Smash. Nairo, the Europeans, etc...people with tight control over their characters and a whole lot of flash. It would certainly go a long way instead of boring them to tears with the styles of some of our higher ups who shall not be mentioned, at least as an introductory sequence.
Not to hate on brawl to much but then shouldn't we have him do melee over brawl? Like there's no point in trying to pretend brawl doesn't get super campy and slow so don't try and fool people about it lol.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
again to remind everyone

brawl/melee will be streamed by vgbootcamp

i know its all speculating but in the end its not going to happen at this event for smash. VG does an amazing job at streaming + helping with the all around running and staffing of the event.

Bio does a lot for us and it would be insane to rely on someone else

yea brawl can be campy but if we are to push it to the next level Apex needs to have both games presented as professional as possible

also we are going to GREAT lengths to get at least 100 people for mvc and sf so that we can grow that as well.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Hmmm I might be able to help you out with this. I do know one or two people that might have a bit of pull with the traddy fighters

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Not to hate on brawl to much but then shouldn't we have him do melee over brawl? Like there's no point in trying to pretend brawl doesn't get super campy and slow so don't try and fool people about it lol.
Haha I get where you're coming from, trust me. However there is still some potential for it to appeal to some people, so I suppose I'll just go with what Alex said.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Just make sure when VGBootcamp uploads their videos they spell everything right...'cause there's nothing worse then misspelling a players name or turning IC's into "Icies"...

Top Bottom