• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash NI: Competitive Scene in Northern Ireland

EsperBoss

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone! A brief introduction: I'm EsperBoss, one of the leading members in what I hope to be the growing Smash Bros Melee Competitive Scene in Northern Ireland. I've seen many threads around the board dedicated to UK Melee and Brawl, which is always good to see, but that is the UK on the whole - I've never seen any thread dedicated to Northern Ireland, so here it is.

To the best of my knowledge, my group and I of around ten dedicated players are the only group of (aspiring) competitive level Smash players in the country. We are currently fairly small in number, and at the moment, we are not the best players around, but we are improving, and we are trying to find more willing to join us. I create this thread in the hope that there are those on the board who are nearby players who, like many of us, have wanted a Melee Community to exist in Northern Ireland but have never had the chance to join one.

We hold regular tournaments (our venue does not allow for direct cash prizes, but does allow for vouchers - entry fees will go towards covering such prizes) and we recently held a ranking league at a 24 hour gaming event. Disregarding the times we meet up at my house (which is pretty often) our group meets each week on Tuesday at a gaming society in Belfast called Dragonslayers (located at the Queen's University Student's Union).

Of course, I'd like to be proven wrong and shown that we have a local community already - that would be excellent. But if not, and there are any players around NI (or even Ireland)...this is your social thread to discuss the game and the community.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
Well it looks like you have a good attitiude to not only improving, but creating a good scene up in Northern Ireland. Having 10 players may not seem like much, but it's actually a reasonably good number. Most regions in the UK have less than 10 in fact. Hopefully some more will come but if they don't, spreading the word by word of mouth can help as well as attending other gaming events and getting people interested.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Smakis is back in Sweden.

Try PM'ing Sentinel, he lives in Ireland.

EsperBoss

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the advice guys. I've sent a PM to Sentinel as you suggested, Jolteon. I've also edited the original post to contain some details of where we would hold our regular meetings.

We will be holding a tournament next month on the 4th October - we usually get a decent turnout (around 20+ people usually), and hopefully there will be some newcomers. I hope to get some videos recorded to put up on our youtube channel, which currently has very few videos (I still need to upload the remainder of what videos we managed to catch at our last tournament).

Youtube account is here, for those interested: http://www.youtube.com/user/SmashBrosNI

L-J

Smash Ace
I noticed you guys use an lcd tv (looks like it anyway) so one bit of advice I'd give is try and get some old style cathode-ray tvs which won't have input lag like shiny new tvs do for melee.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I will do my best to try and get some of the old melee guys to come to your events.

There doesn't seem to be any really here anymore.

Combining our efforts might bring better numbers!

EsperBoss

Smash Rookie
So far, it is looking pretty good for the tournament on the 4th. We will have the 10+ regulars, you and anyone you can bring, Sentinel, and then whoever else decides to sign up. Should be between 20 and 30 people, which for our tournaments is pretty large. If it goes well, then we could properly get the competitive scene restarted here!

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
This sounds good :)

Hopefully you lot could make it down to one of the London Monthlies...would be really good to play all of you lot and get some new competition around here :bee:

mcmuff1nman

Smash Lord
Hello guys. Yes I'm still looking for a competitive scene in NI.

@Esperboss, were you at Q-Con this year? I was the one who won the Brawl tournament there if you remember me! Any more info on this topic?

EsperBoss

Smash Rookie
Jolteon, there are a good few of the regular players here who have accommodation in Belfast, so I daresay having somewhere to stay wouldn't be a problem!

And Mcmuffinman...yeah, I was at Q-Con, I was the Snake player. I was well impressed by your Olimar!

mcmuff1nman

Smash Lord
Oh yeah I remember you too! You were my toughest opponent haha :S when do you meet up for Smash at Queens? I come home for a week Oct 22- Nov 02 and would travel to Belfast for a tournament if there was one (but I am out of practice atm lol).

EsperBoss

Smash Rookie
Well, the next tournament will probably not be for a while - at least 1 month - but as I said, we meet up each Tuesday at the Queen's Student Union for 5 or so hours.

This weekend though, we are having a 24 hour event starting 12pm Saturday and ending 12pm Sunday. There will be loads of different games going on (it is a general gaming event, after all), but we have one, possibly (now that we have shown our gaming society how much our community has grown) two dedicated Wii's for playing Melee. It would be great if you guys could come up for the event.

Out of curiosity, what are all your mains?

mcmuff1nman

Smash Lord
Ok cool. I come back from France for a week the 22nd Oct to 2nd Nov, I would come then!

Melee I main: :falco:

Brawl I main :olimar: :zerosuitsamus: :snake: :peach: :marth: :luigi: (most of the cast tbh lol). I think I used a lot of characters at Q-Con in the tournament, inc :ganondorf:

EsperBoss

Smash Rookie
I'll try to organise another event soon, then. The last one went pretty well - we had the biggest crowd of any of the video game tournaments in our society, which was excellent. The prize went to one of our better players who goes by the tag OneShot, our top Sheik main (having organised the tournament, despite coming first, I couldn't legitimately pick up the prize offered by our society, which is pretty fair). Future tournaments will have prizes determined by the community itself.

To give people an idea of the community, the tags and mains of our top players are:

EsperBoss - Falco (My secondary is Marth/Captain Falcon)
NiZ 'The Worst' - Marth (Seconds Fox)
OneShot - Sheik
Loof - Sheik
Kill Cannon - Samus
The Doc - Dr. Mario
Lost - Fox
TheOtherDoomGuy/Princess - Peach
Shrike - Link
Xyfa - Falco
Sirauron/Troll - Luigi

Jolteon

Let me know if you host another event, I want to see what your scene is like lol.

Also you guys should come to events in England, travel with ryanair is mad cheap. :>

EsperBoss

Smash Rookie
I would like to announce the plans for our newest tournament here in NI!

Date: To be rescheduled
Time: To be rescheduled
Venue: To be rescheduled
Entry Fee: £3
Prize: To be determined - as we cannot give cash prizes at our venue (and it will best accommodate everyone, there wouldn't be enough space at my house for the whole tournament). If I can get money/know numbers, I'll sort this out.

We should hopefully get our hands on recording equipment, and upload all matches to our youtube channel, SmashNI.

I'll be commentating at the tournament, but as the organiser I'll most likely be sitting it out.

Would anyone be interested/available?

EDIT:

Due to problems with the venue, and too many people having issues with attending this weekend, this will be rescheduled to another time - I'll update this thread once a date has been decided.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
All my ******* friends say they are up for going but I know they will end up bailing.

I'll keep my eye on this thread though.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I really like that you lot have your own scene in Ireland...dat Ireland hype :D

I think it would be a great opportunity in uniting the scene's if you lot looked into coming to the London 'Out of Con'Trolls' tournament

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=313010

People from all around the UK as far as scotland and even a few from other countries are coming and it would be a great environment and time for your scene to attend...would be really good to have your scene as an addition to the SmashUK scene :bee:

Alsoooo are you lot actually on the 'SmashUK' facebook page, cos we talk about events around the whole of the UK and everything on there so just type it in and join up!!!

Also the next tournament you host I will probably looking into coming down with Jolteon and maybe a few others if I can afford it :)

:phone:

EsperBoss

Smash Rookie
I'd be very interested in that tournament. Funds permitting, I'll be there! I'll discuss this with the others here and see if they would be up for coming along too.

As for videos...we really need to invest in some kind of recording equipment. Once we have that, there will be absolutely no issue in uploading videos.

As for that facebook group...I've just sent a request to join.

Jolteon

any chance that you guys could host something over the holidays?

also awesome that we have NI interest for OoC :>

Jolteon

that'd be awesome if you can, it'd only be fair for us to attend your events if you're going to attend ours, especially if we want to unite scenes. :3

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I agree, really want to meet this scene and see how everyone is :)

Usually the new people are brawlers but it's good to see that you lot are maintaining Melee down there as well lol.

I really hope a lot of you lot can make it to the Out of Con'Trolls tournament, theres gonna be so much people there and it would be the best opportunity for you lot to come and be introduced to our scene :bee:

EsperBoss

Smash Rookie
Not much planned - life in general has been fairly hectic lately. Three of us are heading over to England for Out of Con'Trolls, which should be very good, I'm rather hyped for it. As for events over here, all that will really be going on is the regular meetings each Tuesday at the Student's Union...for now.

After Out of Con'Trolls, I'll look into setting something bigger up.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
My family is taking a trip to Ireland this fall. Any chance for a tournament near Dublin on September 1st?

EsperBoss

Smash Rookie
Well, most of us would actually be from Northern Ireland DoH, making Dublin reasonably far away for us to be setting a tournament up there. With that said, I can speak to Sentinel, who would be from the south - we might be able to sort out an event. Considering the time we have to do so, I'd say it is pretty feasible. I'd have to get some word back though.

Jolteon

Nice meeting you guys, you all seemed cool and a few of you guys are a better than I thought you'd be. Also Esper, Fuzzyness was talking to me today and he had some really good things to say with how you're approaching your improvement, so keep it up. :)

mcmuff1nman

Smash Lord
I really wish I could have went to OoC, but I keep spending all my money on Yugiohz :s Btw, will Brawl be present at Q-Con this year again?

smakis

Smash Ace
I'm still living in Ireland (Jolteon spreading his filthy lies..), any convenient/cheap/fast ways to get to Belfast from Cork? dunno how far it is haha

edit: checked the map, way too far, you should move here :3

Proskater

Smash Apprentice
I'll be in Dublin from November 27th, until December 8th. Anyone in the area want to play?

RyanEvi

Smash Cadet
NNID
RyanEvi
I know this thread is quite old but does this still happen, if so ill gladly join.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Same. Always looking for more people to play. I'm from up north and generally only home during the holidays, but if I'm around, I'm always up for a game or two.

Top Bottom