• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

5th BEST: Bigger venue! MVC3 + SSF4AE!

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
5th BEST Extreme Smash in Troy

November 12

Changes since other BEST's:

Location: We're in the same building as every other BEST, but now we're in a much bigger and better room. This room is on the second floor in the center of the building. It can fit 30+ setups and many more people very easily.

Schedule: Melee and Brawl are running separately again. See the schedule section below.

Stages: Stages are the same as those of 4th BEST. See below for the lists.

Entry fees: Singles are $7, and doubles are $12 per team. These are subject to change.

Pools: Pools are back for singles.

Other games: I'm working with another group that is organizing Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition, and possibly another game, as additional events at this tournament. The schedule/prices/other has not yet been changed to reflect this, but it will be updated soon.

Where:

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Student Union in Troy, NY at the intersection of Sage Ave and 15th St. Google Maps search for "Rensselaer Union, Troy, NY."

The tournament room is on the second floor, in a large open central room called the McNeil room. There are four main pillars around the center of the room. This is visible and easily accessible from entrances on the second floor and directly behind the main entrance lobby (go up some stairs to enter the building rather than going in a lower side door).

Google maps image. Most people will probably come from 7/Hoosick St.

Zoomed in plus parking. Greens are definitely free, and parking meters do not charge on weekends. Parking is also available along the sides of some streets.

Building image is how it looks from the intersection of Sage Ave and 15th St.

We can provide housing overnight if necessary. Contact us beforehand or post here.

Prices:

No venue fee
$7 Melee singles
$7 Brawl singles
$12 Melee teams (per team)
$12 Brawl teams (per team)
$7 MvC3
$7 SSF4:AE

Payouts:
Singles:
1st - 55%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%
4th - 5%

Doubles:
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

Schedule:

Registration for each event will go until the time listed, and then seeding/pool-making starts. Singles will include pools.

9:00am - Venue opens
11:00am - Melee doubles
1:00pm - Melee singles
2:00pm - MvC3
5:00pm - Brawl doubles
7:00pm - Brawl singles, SSF4:AE
12:30am - Venue closes

Melee Rules:

- Items off.
- 4 stock, 8 minutes.
- Team attack on.
- Ties are broken by lives then percentage. Percentage ties will replay the match with one stock on the same stage.
- Regular sets are best of 3 matches. Winners finals, losers finals and grand finals sets are best of 5 matches.
- Controller mods are banned.
- Stalling is banned. This includes any excessive use of tactics like rising pound and wall-bombing in order to deliberately delay the match.
- Glitches like the Ice Climbers' freeze glitch and Mewtwo's Soul Stunner are also banned.
- Wobbling is banned.
- Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: The loser cannot pick a stage he or she has won on in the set unless agreed upon by both players. Additionally, if both players agree to play on a banned stage, that stage may be played as well.
- Gentleman's Clause: If the two players agree on a change in a rule, like choosing a banned stage, they are allowed to do so. If there is no agreement, standard rules apply.

Stages:

1v1 Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dreamland
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams

1v1 Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium

2v2 Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dreamland
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Stadium

2v2 Counterpicks:
None

Set format:

1. Blind picks: Both players select characters.
2. Stage striking: Players eliminate stages from the Neutral Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in a 1-2-2-1 order according to controller port number.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat steps 4-8 for all consecutive matches until the set is complete.

Brawl Rules:

- Items off and none.
- 3 stock, 8 minutes.
- Team attack on.
- If time runs out, if either player exceeds 50 ledge grabs, that player receives a loss. Otherwise the winner is determined by stock then percentage. Percentage ties will replay the match with one stock on the same stage.
- If the match ends with both players dying from a suicide kill (such as by Bowser or Ganondorf), the initiator of the move is declared the victor.
- Regular sets are best of 3 matches. Winners finals, losers finals and grand finals sets are best of 5 matches.
- Controller mods are banned. In addition, all people are responsible for their own control scheme/name tag and must make sure it is set before the match begins. Both players must agree to restart a match on account of a controller problem.
- Stalling is banned. Stalling is defined as any action that deliberately avoids all conflict as to make the game unplayable. Running from an opponent to get to a better position is not considered stalling, but using chain grabs infinitely against a wall beyond 300% or using Sonic's Neutral B repeatedly underneath the stage is.
- Meta Knight's infinite Dimensional Cape is banned.
- Scrooging is banned.
- Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: The loser cannot pick a stage he or she has won on in the set unless agreed upon by both players. Additionally, if both players agree to play on a banned stage, that stage may be played as well.
- Gentleman's Clause: If the two players agree on a change in a rule, like choosing a banned stage, they are allowed to do so. If there is no agreement, standard rules apply.

Stages:

Neutrals:
Smashville
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium 1
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Castle Siege
Frigate Orpheon

Set format:

1. Blind picks: Both players select characters.
2. Stage striking: Players eliminate stages from the Neutral Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in a 1-2-2-1 order according to controller port number.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat steps 4-8 for all consecutive matches until the set is complete.

Setups:

Bring them.

Attendance:

Zaandaa
Calm
CAC
tacoreaper
+ RPI (5-15)
Pipe
Vibe
MetalPat
Erk
Beta
Cura
Eevee
Sharky
TheManaLord
San
x13mako
Alt

Unfinished list + maybes + everybody else

T.O. contact info:
Zaandaa/tiger10x (op)
Name: Adam
AIM: Zaandaa
Cell: 207-649-0605

Calm
Name: Kevin
AIM: point of agony89
Cell: 845-248-6331

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
Might not make it to this one. I'm taking the GRE on Monday, so I may want to study over the weekend.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
NY is so far though...
And WPI likes not driving far.

Actually, this is less than 3 hours away...so it is possible.

-DD

MetalPat

Smash Ace
so i lied guys. there is about a 95% chance that i won't be able to make this tournament.
the UA bowling team is going to a tournament in cornell.. so guess who has to go with them :/

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Didn't even see this thread. Will be here. Will need a teammate for melee/brawl.

San team with me if you come if i'll probably team with frannie and if not that then calm team with me. Mana i'll team if you want double sheik or we can try falco and sheik/puff.

BetaBahamut

Smash Journeyman
1: Small, This is a local. 10 - 15 - 20 for both games
2: of course, it'd be awesome if you were to come.

though do note the 7$ entry and plan accordingly. Also I dont think anyone from downstate is coming to this.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
2 questions

1) how big do you think this is going to be for each game?
2) would you guys prefer I come to this, or not come to this?
I would love for you to come. Zaandaa and I are trying to hype this up as much as possible to make use of the big venue and putting your name in the title would definitely be good for hype. I'll be at KotC Saturday trying to gauge interest from NJ. I haven't heard from PA or MA. Realistically I wouldn't expect it to be that big, but I'm hoping for like 10 more people than previous events.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Didn't even see this thread. Will be here. Will need a teammate for melee/brawl.

San team with me if you come if i'll probably team with frannie and if not that then calm team with me. Mana i'll team if you want double sheik or we can try falco and sheik/puff.
yes...... the passion must be relit... my spirit is reborn... there is no reason to lose... must win by any means necessary!!!!!

dudutsai

Smash Lord
You shall never beat Beta and his teammate. Even the doubles masta stands no chance against the NEW Beta.

I don't even know if I'm going yet...

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
2 questions

1) how big do you think this is going to be for each game?
2) would you guys prefer I come to this, or not come to this?
Unless for some unknown reason NYC or Mass comes to this, this is going to be smaller than AXS3. But, Rochester doesn't come so people who are complaining that you're coming at AXS3 wouldn't be here.

Edit: Well I guess Cura and Calm are teaming so I'll just ask san. c: Loljk

But I do still need a teammate. Don't feel like searching for one tho, so people should ask me.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Calm is my 3rd choice. behind san and frannie. also jason, we usually dont reach over 20. but its really not to far so you could probably convince people to take you if your interested. Mana fest this weekend.

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
I am a TO hype machine.

We're now having MVC3 and SSF4 run in addition to Smash here. No final details yet on how it will fit in or any of that stuff, and there might be another game. I'm not personally running those events, but I can respond to any questions. I'm working things out with a bunch of other people at the moment.

Kwan might actually be on another continent, too, so I'll be interested in a Melee teammate.

Top Bottom