• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CHARITY UNO SMASH: Feat. Cook (MO Brawl), JBM-Cue-Sm3esh-ResTy (NE Melee)

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
By Alex Tran, TO:

"So you think you can smash?

Prove it while supporting an awesome cause!

What: Super Smash Brothers Melee & Brawl Charity Tournament
When: Saturday, October 29 @ 12 pm
Where: Nebraska & Aksarben Room (2nd floor), Milo Bail Student Center, UNO Dodge Campus

$5 charity donation/$5 brawl entry/$5 melee entry

Proceeds go to the American Red Cross!
they help people whose houses get demolished by hurricanes! that's really rad + this is gonna be fun!

PRIZES:
1st place: 50% of pot
2nd place: 30% of pot
3rd place: 20% of pot
+ bragging rights

Registration at the Nebraska & Aksarben room from 10:00-11:30am. Tournament starts at 12 noon!

To register/get more info and rules, email Alex: atran@unomaha.edu

Brawl Rules

The rules are based off The Unity Ruleset v1.4 but are different to make this tournament more user friendly to the public.

Starter Stage List:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Pokémon Stadium 1
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island

Counter Stage List:
Battleship Halberd
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Lylat Cruise

General Rules:
1. The tournament host is the arbiter of all disputes and has the right to ask anyone to leave the premises at any time. Bring any disputes to the tournament host.
2. Arrive on time.
3. Don’t stall before matches and don’t make unnecessarily delays during a set.
4. No more than the previous match should be replayed in the event of a rule violation.
5. Coaching is only allowed between games, not during.
6. Regarding textures and other game hacks:
a. Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
b. The BBR-RC recommends players do not use intrusive texture and stage hacks.
c. Players are not allowed to use any game altering hacks, such as no-tripping or model hacks. If someone is caught setting up a system they brought with such hacks enabled can face punishment at the TO's discretion.
7. Bring your own controller. If you bring a Wii controller, take out the batteries when you’re not playing.

Game Rules:
1. Items are set to OFF.
2. Each match has a Stock and Time set to 3 stock and 8 minutes, respectively.
3. Regular sets are best of 3 matches.
4. Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, and then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.
5. The semi-final and championship sets are played in the best of 5 sets.
6. Stalling is banned. Stalling is any action to intentionally make the game unplayable, such as becoming invisible, chain grabs, uninterruptible moves past 300%, or reaching a position in which your opponent can never reach you.
7. Any action that prevents the game from continuing, such as freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
8. If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
o In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
o If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or via suicide move) or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit is 18 for all characters.
9. Pause can be requested off and cannot be denied by the other player. The player who initiates a pause during mid-match will lose the current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose his stock, the person who initiated the pause will lose the match.
*10. 0-death-CG/Spikes are illegal. (No walk-offs)
*11. All (wall) infinites are illegal. All infinite tilt locks are illegal. All item infinites are illegal.
*12. All characters have a Ledge Grab Limit of 50. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit, he will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their limits, then this rule is ignored.
*13. Guaranteed grab releases are illegal. (Such as, but not limited to, Marth's on Wario, Bowser on Donkey Kong, etc...)
14. Jab and laser locks are not illegal.
15. Metaknight is banned.

*Note Enforced.

Set Procedure
1. Each player selects a character. A blind pick may be called by any player.
o Blind Picks: The first character selection of a set must be done without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
2. The first game is played on a stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking method.
o The order of stage striking will be 1 2 2 1.
3. The first match is played.
4. The player that won the previous match may ban one stage on either the Starter or Counter Pick Stage List.
5. The player that lost the previous match picks the stage for the next match from either the Starter or Counter Pick Stage List. No Starter Stage may be used after a player has already won on that stage in this set.
6. The player that won the previous match chooses his character.
7. The player that lost the previous match chooses his character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat steps 4-8 for all proceeding matches.
10. If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike, use the following method to determine player priority:
o Player priority is determined by a coin-flip.
o The player who won the coin toss has first choice in either port selection or Stage Strike. The player who lost the coin toss will have first choice in whichever category the winning player did not choose.

Melee Rules

We’re going to follow the MBR recommended rule set.

Starter Stage List:
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

General Rules:
1. The tournament host is the arbiter of all disputes and has the right to ask anyone to leave the premises at any time. Bring any disputes to the tournament host.
2. Arrive on time. Don’t stall before matches.
o DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 10 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 10 more minutes results in a loss of the set.
3. Coaching is only allowed between games, not during.
4. No more than the previous match should be replayed in the event of a rule violation.
5. Bring your own controllers. If you bring a Wii controller, take out the batteries when you’re not playing.

Game Rules:
1. Items are set to OFF.
2. Each match has a Stock and Time set to 4 (check) stock and 8 minutes, respectively.
3. Regular sets are best of 3 matches.
4. Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, and then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.
5. The semi-final and championship sets are played in the best of 5 sets.
6. Don’t stall during a set. Stalling is any action to intentionally make the game unplayable, such as becoming invisible, chain grabs, uninterruptible moves past 300%, or reaching a position in which your opponent can never reach you.
7. Blind Picks: The first character selection of a set must be done without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
8. Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
9. Gentleman's clause: Any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
10. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order.

Redwood Counter Pick System
1. Players pick characters using the Blind Picks rule.
2. After the first match is played, the winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
3. The losing player of the preceding match picks the stage for the next match.
4. The winning player of the preceding match picks his character.
5. The losing player picks his character.
6. The next match is played.
7. Repeat steps 2-6 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete."

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Just fyi, hobbling is not an infinite

Nor is it a CG.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
define sheik's tilt lock for me.

2 tilts? 3 tilts?

DeLux

Ripple, just don't ftilt lol

better safe than sorry

Arcansi needs to name search this because it's his dream ruleset if I understood correctly

DeLux

Hey that's not my fault

You should just play a better character :)

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I am completely surprised that none of these people are Tyser who are complaining about this.

Keep in mind this is supposed to be for a school (The University of Nebraska, Omaha), and casual attendance is what we are aiming for, as Nebraska has no brawl scene, and people coming in and infining them with D3 (ahem, Tyser) can be a major turn off.

However, if any of the people in here who are complaing about this rules set are going to come, a more standardized rules set could be established. The sheik tilt lock is pretty lol but if some guy decides to come in and play as Ganon and some guy is like "Kay..." and plays Sheik, that's dumb.

:toonlink::drmario:If any of you seriously are willing to come to this, the rules set will change in a heartbeat, but for the kind of people we think will come, 18-21 year old college students who just want to have fun.

Just fyi, hobbling is not an infinite

Nor is it a CG.
Lux, IC's chaingrab is fine so long as you don't do it at 0% :p I honestly want some random scrub to show up who's nerd enough to know the chaingrab and win. He would be a good addition.

Fine, I won't lie, I left IC's CG alone so you would show up and CG me in the finals.

define sheik's tilt lock for me.

2 tilts? 3 tilts?
I'd say 7 tilts in a row. In a 90 second time period.

This ruleset's existence offends me.
I won't lie, I did spam this because I figured people would find it awesome.

Edit:
At 1:32 JBM-Did Tyser troll yet?
Rob-No, he hasn't seen it.

Ninjad.

resTy

Smash Champion
Implying I'm playing Brawl lol. No thanks. I'll play Melee if JBM and other guys enter, but otherwise, I'll let someone else win. Don't wanna ruin things for the casual nubs who will be present. Only reason I did that tourney at UNL a while back was because I was guaranteed $200 and wanted a PS3, which I still don't have :'(

Also, why do I have to infinite noobs? They're not even a threat. I'm not you, Rob...

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Charity event becomes a real Brawl Tournament instead. Oh, Rob...
Actually, they came to me with the idea of having a casual/competitive brawl tournament. The Trans and I have a very close mutual friend so I gladly said I would help them out and spread the word.

Implying I'm playing Brawl lol. No thanks. I'll play Melee if JBM and other guys enter, but otherwise, I'll let someone else win. Don't wanna ruin things for the casual nubs who will be present. Only reason I did that tourney at UNL a while back was because I was guaranteed $200 and wanted a PS3, which I still don't have :'(
This is pretty legit. Metaknight's not even banned. And I don't even know how to infinite anyone :p

And it has melee, you bet JBM and those guys are coming.

Gay in smash is synonymous with good. Here are some examples:
"Fox is so gay"
"Armada plays gay"
"Chain grabbing is gay"
I was with you until you said chain grabbing, but then I realized you were referencing melee, and CG in melee actually requires skill and reading people's DI, so I'm sold.

I can't, it is subjective.

I'm just saying though, anyone who does something that will obviously prevent the game from being fun for the casuals attending this tourney is a massive ****-head.
I agree, and that's why we have written out what is objectionable. The UNL tournament had items and banned glide tossing/DACUS/chaingrabbing (not infinite, but chaingrabbing) and all "gay" stuff, basically every AT were banned. (Wish I didn't have to work that day so I could have used Wolfs reflector all day.)

The things that are banned are gamebreaking here, other than MK :p

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
13. Guaranteed grab releases are illegal. (Such as but not limited to Marth's on Wario, Ike's on MetaKnight, Bowser on Donkey Kong, etc...)
14. Diddy’s “Banana lock” is illegal.
15. Wario’s “Tire lock” is illegal
16. Shiek’s tilt lock is illegal.

What is this.

This is atrocious.

Ruleset maker deserves capital punishment.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
13. Guaranteed grab releases are illegal. (Such as but not limited to Marth's on Wario, Ike's on MetaKnight, Bowser on Donkey Kong, etc...)
14. Diddy’s “Banana lock” is illegal.
15. Wario’s “Tire lock” is illegal
16. Shiek’s tilt lock is illegal.

What is this.

This is atrocious.

Ruleset maker deserves capital punishment.
lol. Again, if some casual guy is playing Wario, and some person decides all he wants to do is grab release him with Marth, happy we have a rule about that.

btw, if someone pulls off the Banana Lock or Tire Lock on ME personally, I won't tattle. However, if they push the pause button, you better bet they will lose a stock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I grab release casual Wario players all the time.

With Zelda.

They don't complain. lol

Edit:

Also Zelda's dtilt lock should be banned.

And Marth's.

And G&W's.

And MK's.

And Snake's ftilt lock.

While we're at it, lets ban jab locks and all jab lock variants such as MK's dthrow > Hope they don't tech > dtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtilt > F-smash.

Laser locks with Falco need to be banned too.

Kuares

Pizza
I agree with simplifiying the ruleset or else you'd get everyone going to FD because it's a neutral.

Anyways, could we get a ruling on edgehogging. That's the thing most players complain about at this level.

DeLux

I feel like there should be an anti-spam rule

Especially against projectile spamming characters

like a PSL - Projectile Spam Limit

If you do over 120 projectiles in a game, you lose the game.

resTy

Smash Champion
No edgehogging.
No taunting.
No gimping.
No [stage] spiking.
No spamming the same moves.
No stalling.
No advanced/cheap techniques.
No chaingrabbing/infinites (Advanced/Cheap Technique)
No locks (Advanced/Cheap Technique)
No suicide kills (Inhaling, etc)
Only complaining.

Trent

Smash Champion
I'm logging on for the first time in months just to comment on this tournament. Why is this crap on Smashboards? It's a charity tournament that is generally meant for students of UNO, not for people to travel OoS too. This tournament is 45 minutes away from me and I'm not going to it, let the general tournament be a general tournament, no need to advertise a noob tournament on this forum.

This tournament being on this thread would be equivalent to putting one of the "smash tournaments" I host for my club that takes place at my house, or advertising that UNL tournament that had items on. It's dumb.

I saw this on Facebook, and that's cool, but the second I saw this go on Smashboards I laughed pretty hard while in a public library.

DeLux

stop being scrubby everyone
The rules are the rules

If you can't win with them it means you're playing by some arbitrary ruleset in your mind and are failing to adapt.

I full heartedly support this ruleset and have forwarded to the rest of the URC for consideration as a model for possible change

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Also Zelda's dtilt lock should be banned.

And Marth's.

And G&W's.

And MK's.

And Snake's ftilt lock.

While we're at it, lets ban jab locks and all jab lock variants such as MK's dthrow > Hope they don't tech > dtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtiltdtilt > F-smash.

Laser locks with Falco need to be banned too.
I agree with a lot of this. Zelda's Dtilt lock could be worrysome, the others are fine so long as there isn't a wall.

I missed a lot of cheap tactics I should add to the illegal section.

And actually, during the initial wording, when ChainGrabbing was illegal, I differentiated between people DIing into grabs (ala MK's D-throw) and getting regrabbed vs actual CG.

Again, I think most of you are missing the point, and you don't know the Nebraska scene. I do.

Outside of the Smashboards community, people are interested in coming because of the rules set in this here Nebraska.

If you kill someone at lower than 50%, you lose your stock as well...
No, gimping is legal.

Is Mk banned?

Lolz everyone is gonna pick Mk OoS.
No one OOS are coming other than maybe Lux (KC) or Bpow/Joker (IA). If enough quality players are attending, the rules will change due to their actually being competition.

A "Don't play Gay against bad players" rule would then be established.

I agree with simplifiying the ruleset or else you'd get everyone going to FD because it's a neutral.

Anyways, could we get a ruling on edgehogging. That's the thing most players complain about at this level.
Edgehogging is something that's complained about, but I personally don't care.

I feel like there should be an anti-spam rule

Especially against projectile spamming characters

like a PSL - Projectile Spam Limit

If you do over 120 projectiles in a game, you lose the game.
More of these comments, please.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
AGAIN, I KNOW CASUAL PLAYERS WHO ARE ATTENDING THIS DUE TO THE RULES SET. CHARITY AND SUCH. THERE AREN'T ENOUGH ACTIVE BRAWL PLAYERS IN NEBRASKA FOR THERE TO BE A SERIOUS TOURNAMENT.

Get these rules out of here this is BS sir.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=311702

There will be an actual local with actual competitive rules before too long. Until then, remember, this is charity and not supposed to be Unity Rules. I'm the most competitive player who is currently attending the brawl portion.

If people who are good want to play ME in games where we just use STRICTLY UNITY RULES (minus infinites, of course), I would be a coward to hide behind these rules and won't. Unless it's Tyser, I want a free win against him :p

I'm logging on for the first time in months just to comment on this tournament. Why is this crap on Smashboards? It's a charity tournament that is generally meant for students of UNO, not for people to travel OoS too. This tournament is 45 minutes away from me and I'm not going to it, let the general tournament be a general tournament, no need to advertise a noob tournament on this forum.

This tournament being on this thread would be equivalent to putting one of the "smash tournaments" I host for my club that takes place at my house, or advertising that UNL tournament that had items on. It's dumb.

I saw this on Facebook, and that's cool, but the second I saw this go on Smashboards I laughed pretty hard while in a public library.
Becasue

A-I was told to put it on smashboards by the TO to advertise.
B-If you aren't gonna come anyway, stfu your opinion doesn't matter
C-This is way different than n00b item tournaments, there aren't items, and the majority of people complaining about the rule play as a character that requires "gay" stuff to win. Get better, people.

stop being scrubby everyone
The rules are the rules

If you can't win with them it means you're playing by some arbitrary ruleset in your mind and are failing to adapt.

I full heartedly support this ruleset and have forwarded to the rest of the URC for consideration as a model for possible change
This is why Lux is my favorite.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I used 86 Din's Fire in a match once.

Edit:

Din's Fire is overpowered against nubs.

Ban it.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
if this is more for fun, why did you restrict the stage list so severely?

Top Bottom