• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A URC member's reasonings in the metaknight poll.

M@v

Subarashii!
Link to original post: [drupal=4684]A URC member's reasonings in the metaknight poll.[/drupal]

Hi everyone, since the mk banned thread is moving way too fast, I wanted to post my feelings/decision making here. I'd be glad to answer questions, and whether your overjoyed about it, in the middle, or if you hate my guts for this poll, please at least try to convey it in a civilized manner.

I voted in the URC's decision, and voted pro-ban. Here are my reasons for it:

A. The community. Look. I'm a TO. As a TO, its my responsibility to cater to the COMMUNITY I run tournaments for. I feel its my obligation to bring them the best tournament experience I can, and with the rules they want as a whole. The community, as a whole, has shown it is overwhelmingly pro ban in many ways, such has the mk ban poll here, the unofficial mk ban poll on AiB, and the large upsurge of mk banned tournaments around the country. I feel with mk gone, it will make for a more healthy community and give us a brighter future.

B. Overcentralization. As we have seen in the past couple years, metaknight's usage has really gotten out of control. The statistics we got from MLG(which is amazing pile out data everyone should check out) is a prime example of this. Also, this applies to rules centralization as well. So many times I've seen rules try to cater to mk, only to be exploited in some other way.

As for the optional ban until APEX, I feel this was important due to APEX being an international event, and the need to respect all nation's rules. In addition, Alex strife has put so much work into making the largest tournament in smash history, it would a punch to the gut to take mk away which could have international ramifications.

I also want to state I voted pro ban because I feel it is the best move for the health of the community.

With that out of the way, here's a take on my personal viewpoint of the ban. Mk has been my most used character since the beginning of summer. Even before that I used him for years to cover pika/icies, and mk is my doubles main(check my recent results if you don't believe me). If I was voting for sole personal feelings about mk, I would of abstained from the poll, because I'm honestly neutral about metaknight. If he's in the metagame, fine I don't mind dealing with him. If he's not there, ok that's fine too.
If anything, the ban is going to hurt me personally as a player since I'll be maining falco now, and pika/icies wont be held back by mks anymore.

But once again, I voted for what I feel is the greater good.

Like I said I'd be willing to answer any questions. The only ones I can't answer are "Who voted for what", because that's confidential information only the voter him/herself is allowed to convey if they so choose.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I support everything in this blog. I'm a lot more hyped for future tournaments.

No other character in Brawl will be as ******** as MK, but which character do you think will become suddenly more popular? why?

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
All of A tier will become popular, and then more mid-to-high tiers will show their balance. Even some low-mid tiers will begin rising.

But everyone can't be a Meta Knight. It's just, a lot more are now Meta Knights, with weaknesses :)

M@v

Subarashii!
I support everything in this blog. I'm a lot more hyped for future tournaments.

No other character in Brawl will be as ******** as MK, but which character do you think will become suddenly more popular? why?
Krystedez summed it up pretty well:

All of A tier will become popular, and then more mid-to-high tiers will show their balance. Even some low-mid tiers will begin rising.

But everyone can't be a Meta Knight. It's just, a lot more are now Meta Knights, with weaknesses :)

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I guess my only question is, why so late? By the time the ban takes effect, Brawl will be just shy of it's 4th anniversary. Given the unanimity in the URC's vote and the general community's attitude, was it necessary to wait so long? Has there really been anything new introduced about Metaknight that wasn't already known six months, a year, or even two years ago?

Flayl

Smash Hero
There was resistance from the part of the anti-ban, but what really dragged this out was the lack of a criteria for a ban. If you look at the URC members' individual opinions, they still differ greatly on what tipped them over to the pro-ban side.

edit: haha, I wrote pro-ban in the first sentence.

Life

Smash Hero
To add to what Flayl said: the community was about 60% pro-ban, and for various reasons (such as Smash never having banned a character before, trying to avoid a community split, etc) the BBR wasn't confident that it would be the right decision. When the BRC (now URC) took over, things had shifted pretty drastically, so the ban went through this time.

Tesh

Smash Hero
considering how young the URC is, and how the BBR refused to address the issue for a long time, its not surprising that it took so long.

Its very disappointing. A few months after APEX we might start seeing Smash 4 information and people will begin to move on.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
With or without mk people would have begun moving on to the new smash anyways. The only sad thing about it all is that we didn't have this happen sooner, sorta like what you said I guess ^^

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Let's hope this blog can stay civil.

M@v

Subarashii!
I guess my only question is, why so late? By the time the ban takes effect, Brawl will be just shy of it's 4th anniversary. Given the unanimity in the URC's vote and the general community's attitude, was it necessary to wait so long? Has there really been anything new introduced about Metaknight that wasn't already known six months, a year, or even two years ago?
As Ripple said, the URC is still a relatively new organization.

Although this came late, it also has broken down the fear of banning something in smash if there's a problem with it. I really do hope the balance team of smash 4 does their job right so no extreme measures like this need to be taken ever again, but we've gone through that hypothetical "barrier" if it ever needs to occur agaib,

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion

The postulate that more characters become viable isn't necessarily true. Because of MKs dominance, character choice might not be influenced by viability of the character, for MK would win regardless. With MK gone, initially more characters become viable, but the competition becomes stronger as well, because as we said, not just MK will win. This leads to people choosing higher tiered characters, which in turn makes mid and low tier characters less viable. This is of course speculation, possibly even exercising the role of devil's advocate, but such simple ideas do deserve some criticism.

Top Bottom