• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Matchup. Help!

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
m2k says pokestadium is broke for fox every now and then.

no one listens tho'
In fact, he just said it yesterday. :p

I'm assuming pokeS is broke for Fox because of his Dair-shine infinate against the tree in the fire transformation? Oh and probably because of the low ceiling, too. Right?

:phone:
Refer to the following quote that I posted earlier in this thread.

Ain't it the truth. I think it's generally accepted that Poke Stadium is a strongly pro-Spacee stage because of all the ways they can simply control the stage. The positioning of the platforms, the general flatness of the stage, everything lets them be as aggressive, defensive, or even campy as they want to be. And when the stage changes, it can get worse. Once that tree pops up, you find yourself being infinite-shined, even if you're a char that doesn't normally get waveshined.
Basically, if they wanna hunt you down, you're not getting away. If they wanna get away, you're not really stopping them. If they wanna camp, well, it's kinda hard to stop them. The platforms are at the perfect height for them; they can easily cover them w/ SHFFL'd aerials, like uair. The stage is large enough and flat enough that laser camping is pretty easy. And all this was just about the neutral part of the stage. Think about the transformations! (>.<)

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot the worst part! There is a glitch where, if Samus enters freefall under the tree in the fire form of the stage during the stage transformation, she simply falls through the entire stage, from top to bottom, and promptly dies. This has happened to me, and apparently, this is not a relatively unknown fact.

McNinja

Smash Ace
Anyways, back to the Marth matchup. Again. So what's the best way to recover vs an edgeguarding Marth? Is it better to go above or below?

Ørn

Smash Journeyman
He can hit you regardless of what you do (for the most part, anyway), but going above him is like an invitation to get uair juggled (unless you're like.... REALLY high up in which case I guess it can work... though I wouldn't do it on a stage like FD where I do not have any platforms to escape to)

Go below, make him miss your timing by bomb jumping away from his attacks, and try to sweetspot the edge with your grapple. If your grapple fails, see what he does and either sweetspot the edge with UpB if he goes on stage or UpB onto the stage if he takes the edge.

McNinja

Smash Ace
Hmm well since this IS the Marth matchup thread, I suppose we should have the matchup ratio. Anybody know what the most recent matcup ratio between Marth and Samus is?

Pi

Smash Hero
i think it can vary
even at top level play

if the marth knows what he is doing, how to shut samus down, and plays around only his advantageous positions etc. pretty much a marth who knows the matchup and has no qualms about gaying out samus
the matchup could be 65-35, maybe

most marths don't play like that, so for most marths it's evenish

the above is theorycrafting any way, i may be wrong any way, marth should have the advantage most of the time but not enough to be significant, it's a fun matchup

Pi

Smash Hero
marth doesn't have a sex kick so your job is to make him look like an idiot for attacking air then kick him in the face w/ your space legs

Top Bottom