• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Game Reviews with Tri-Hy

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Hi to everyone out there on SWF. This is ---, or, as I'm often called, Tri-Hy or Tryphen.

Seeing as I don't have as much time for gaming now that I'm in College, that and I don't have as many of my games with me. I made this blog so that I may reminisce at my large video game collection.

Currently I own over 200 different games and have played well over that throughout the years. Here I'll post my own personal reviews and thoughts for the games I've played and can maybe recommend to everyone.

I do own many systems and I do often import games from Japan, so if anyone would in return like to recommend a certain game for me or others to take a look at feel free to post it here.

My only rule is that a ask that you don't flame if I or someone else feels differently about a certain game. You are, however, encouraged to tell me if there is a cetain way you think I could improve my reviews.

Therefore, the only games I WON'T REVIEW (for obvious reasons) are:

Super Smash Bros. (64)
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

I hope you all can enjoy this blog. I don't have a schedule but I will try to at least update once every week.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Story: The Continent of Valencia is split into two territories. To the north is the Kingdom of Rigel, home to followers of the Dark God Doma. To the south is the Kingdom of Sofia, where the Earth Goddess Mila is worshipped. When Rigel invades Sofia, two heroes, Arum and Cellica, raise an army to topple Rigel and the Dark God that is backing the conflict. - Serenes Forest.

I'm just quoting that as I'd reveal too much of the story line if I summerized it myself. Anyway for those who don't know, FE Gaiden literally means FE Side story, so this is more or less the intermission between FE1 and FE3. It does not feature Marth at all, and only 4 characters from the previous game return.

Alm's Party

Cellica's Party

Gameplay:
In a very similar vein to Mario, Zelda, and Metroid 2, Gaiden is referred to as the Black Sheep of the FE series. First off there is a world map. As each chapter goes by more and more of the map is revealed. Here you have separate control over 2 very different parties, one for Alm and one for Celica. Each party more or less has their own goals and locations to get to in order to progress; in fact the world map is pretty much divided in half between the two groups. Overall each group doesn't do much interaction with each other than the occasional option of swapping items and working together in the final stage. So making sure that each party can hold its own in battle is crucial for progression.

In addition, the item system has been entirely revamped since the first game. Here each item has unlimited uses, however, you can only equip/hold one item/weapon at a time. So over all it's much closer to regular RPGs, so it is a big change for any major FE fan. Other things include stat changing items are now done through the use of statues called Lion's Heads. Each head gives the option of changing at least 2 of your stats. Each head can be used multiple times up to a certain limit.

Class Promotions also now can class up twice now. Promotions are also, of course, done with statues as well, although they are unlimited in use. Unlike other FE games on the world map there are also various dungeons that can be explored in order to gain extra experience points, still as great as it sounds there is a major problem overall with leveling up in this game, and so far it is the only major problem I've found. Unless you're playing on easy mode, yes, there is now an easy mode. Most enemies only give you around 2 experience per kill about halfway through the game and onwards, so leveling up at all is beyond tedious.

Graphics: Overall they're quite advanced for the 8 bit era especially when looking at other RPGs at the time. Every battle is done in seamless cut scenes and dialog between characters is done using portraits showing said characters reactions. So it can't be denied the game has a bit more personality then other RPGs at the time. In addition, there is also a much better use of colors and textures then it's almost entirely green predecessor. So you're not just stuck looking that the same exact map, each level.

Music: It just wouldn't be a RPG without some good tunes. But in comparison to its predecessor, the songs just aren't as memorable outside some of the more recurring songs such as Alm's, Celica's and the Boss/Final Chapter themes.

Alm's Theme
Celica's Theme (also known as "With Mila's Divine Protection")
Final Battle Theme

Extras/Re-playability: In comparison to FE1, there is more to come back too because of the easy mode option, in addition to the sound test mode. But outside of that and speed runs, there isn't much re-playability if you started on normal mode like I did.

Final Thoughts: FE2 is a great game overall. The only real problem with it is the experience point system could use some work. This is a game I'd recommend to any FE fan or RPG fan due to this being the FE game that follows closest to basic RPG gameplay the most.

Still I myself would have enjoyed the game much more if the cart I owned would have been able to save. So after leaving my NES on and playing it for one week straight, it can really make you get sick of video games in general, and I do hope no one else would have to go through what I did.

Overall the game has aged well in comparison to FE1, but this is mostly because of the two remakes it received (FE3 Book 1/FE11). So overall, this is a game that is overlooked and I find is the most deserving of a remake in comparison to the rest of the series due to the sheer amont of untapped potential I felt while playing through this game. This is a great game to import.

Rating back then: 8.5/10
Rating today: 8/10
Recomendation: 7/10 (If you import like I did)
How much I paid for it: $35 (complete in box)

Next Review: Metal Gear (NES)

Cool. Birdy the Mighty avatar and reviewing a game I never played, but in a series I love.

Blog gets 10/10.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Cool. Birdy the Mighty avatar and reviewing a game I never played, but in a series I love.

Blog gets 10/10.
Thank you. Plus you're the first person to know where my avatar is from. ;)

Very good review. Do you take review requests?
Thank you, and yes, I do take requests. Although it does depend to some extent if I've played it or already own it.

Currently I own games for the: NES, SNES, 64, GC, Wii, GB, GBA, NDS, PS, PS2, PS3, PSP, Genesis, downloadable games (VC, WW, PSN) , Famicom, and Super Famicom.

So pretty much anything except for Microsoft consoles. Sorry. :(

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Have you played Namco x Capcom? I would love some opinions on that game.. it looks delish.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Have you played Namco x Capcom? I would love some opinions on that game.. it looks delish.
I've been hoping to get my hands on it, but unfortunetly the PS2 is region locked, so no I haven't. :(

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Awesome. Your reviews are very thorough and detailed, and as you can see, there are more than a few people who appreciate the level of quality you've presented. I'd really like to hear your thoughts on the Gameboy Fire Emblems (especially 6 and 7), or any of the Persona games if you've played them.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Awesome. Your reviews are very thorough and detailed, and as you can see, there are more than a few people who appreciate the level of quality you've presented. I'd really like to hear your thoughts on the Gameboy Fire Emblems (especially 6 and 7), or any of the Persona games if you've played them.
Thank you.

I do own FE7 and have been meaning to get FE6 (I've been looking on Ebay and Amazon for a while). So I'll take that into concideration.

As for the Persona games, I've heard a lot about them, and have thought a good amount about buying a game in the series if I had the time (and $). Got any recomendations? ;)

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Yeah, I had to play FE6 on emulator. There's a really good fan translation out there as well for the ROM.

I just finished Persona 3, and I really enjoyed it. It had its problems (mostly story related), but the gameplay was really good. I would recommend it to JRPG fans. I found my copy at Gamespot for $35 used.

I also have Persona 4, but I haven't started it yet. From all indications it's better than 3, but I'll keep you posted once I find the time to play it.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Alright thanks for that info, I'll take a look at my local gamestore later this week if I have the time. ;)

As for FE6, I do know about the translation and rom, as for emulating, maybe. I'll have to think if I want to do some of my reviews using them.

TL?

Smash Ace
Ah fire emblem gaiden. That game is hard to play after being spoiled by newer FEs. Only using two buttons, and not even having movement tiles is kinda of annoying. Gaiden is still pretty cool and unique. FE8 is actually a bit of a throwback to it. That's also cool that you actually own the game on the NES. Got any other FE carts from japan?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Ah fire emblem gaiden. That game is hard to play after being spoiled by newer FEs. Only using two buttons, and not even having movement tiles is kinda of annoying. Gaiden is still pretty cool and unique. FE8 is actually a bit of a throwback to it. That's also cool that you actually own the game on the NES. Got any other FE carts from japan?
So far I have imported:

Complete in box: FE1-3,

Carts: FE4, Mario & Wario, Rockman X3, Rockman 7,

Gaiden was the last game I had beaten before I went off to school, it's a game that not everyone has, and it's a good way to show off some of my collection. Although it's not the most impressive game I own...

I'll have my next review up soon.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Story - In 1993, 200 km north of Galzburg, South Africa, lies Outer Heaven, a fortified state founded by a "legendary mercenary". Word had gotten out to the western world that deep within the Outer Heaven stronghold, a weapon of mass destruction is being constructed. Special Forces unit FOXHOUND sends Gray Fox, one of their top agents, to infiltrate the fortress, assess the situation and neutralize the threat. Days later, contact with Gray Fox is lost and his last transmission simply reads "METAL GEAR..." Operative Solid Snake, FOXHOUND's newest recruit, is ordered by squad leader Big Boss to rescue Gray Fox and carry out his mission, "Operation: Intrude N313". - Wikipedia (I'm too lazy to explain it all myself).

Gameplay - For those familiar with the series, you can expect stealth action. Of course being the first game in the series, and heck, even the entire genre, it's at its bare minimum: Just don't be standing in the same direction as an enemy is looking.

As for everything else much of the game is just plain Metroid style exploring. Find a weapon or item, find and unlock secret/hidden doors, and rescue captives such as Gray Fox. So at its core gameplay it's quite "solid" (yes that pun is on purpose :p). It's just what people often get focused on is that it's a port and a few minor errors in the game. So to get them out of the way: Bad translation, awful password system,

The biggest complaint most have is, of course, also the major spoiler:

You don't ever actually fight the "Metal Gear" as a boss. Instead it's replaced by a Super Computer.

But other than that, from a gameplay standpoint, the only real complaint I personally have is that bosses were way too easy to beat and a section of 1-hit-kill trap doors that you have to deal with late in the game.

Graphics - For being a port, they aren't that bad. You can tell what everything looks like, but other then that, there's nothing really special about them or really anything to compare them to, this being the first stealth game.

Music - A really good point for any game, despite having entirely different music then it's source material, the main tunes of the game stand out as some of the best of an era.

Jungle
Sneaking Mission (Inside Outer Haven)
! Alert
Ending Theme

Extras/Re-playability - If you don't you a guide like I did, the game is pretty long, but other then that, there is really nothing to keep you coming back to play this other then comparing it to the original.

Final Thoughts - Some may see it as bad port, true or not, and that the game is too frustrating. Having used a video walkthough for the entire game I never really got to any of those point except for my own personal errors. As said it's a "solid" and classic title for the NES, but being a downgraded port it really is just for anyone with even a little curiosity towards it.

Rating back then: 8/10
Rating today: 6.5/10
Recommendation: 7/10
How much I paid for it: $20 (it came in a case and in good condition, but I do think I got ripped off)

Next Review: Mega Man V (GB)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Story - In the year 20XX (sometime between MM5 and 6, but after IV), while out one day Mega Man is attacked by a mysterious robot calling himself Terra. Terra attacks Mega Man but he finds that his weaponry has no effect on Terra and is quickly defeated. Awakening hours later, Mega Man discovers that the Earth is under attack by Terra and his Stardroid from outer space. Equipping Mega Man with the new Mega Arm weapon and the new support bot, Tango the Cat, Dr. Light sends his creation to yet again save the world.

It's definitely one of the more advanced plots in the Mega Man series, of course, as we all could guess, Wily is behind it all.

Gameplay - While there are many differences between this and other Mega Man games, the core gameplay is the same as the other titles in the series, beat a Robot Master(Stardroid), take their power, and move onto the next stage to take out the next RM with your new weapon, then rinse and repeat.

So like I said, there are many major differences that make this game unique within the series:

• The shop from MMIV returns new and improved.
  • The Mega Arm is much different than the Mega Buster. It doesn't go full screen and has significant ending lag, but it can be upgraded similar to the MMX games to make it stronger and more useful.
  • Hidden Items.
  • Tango the cat replaces Beat, but overall is really only useful in a few select parts of the game.
  • Dr. Wily is not the final boss for once; instead it's the Stardroid leader, Sunstar.

• All the GB exclusive bosses, the Mega Man Killers (MM10 DLC) and Quint (MMII) make return appearances, although you cannot obtain their weapons this time.
  • There is a section in the game where it turns into a shooter like the Gradius series.

Throw in some awesome weapons like the:
  • Grab Buster - It steals enemies’ health.
  • Spark Chaser - A multi-hit homing laser.
  • Black Hole - Sucks enemies in and then explodes to take out even more enemies.
Plus a level where you take on the Death Wily Star, one of the most epic moments in gaming history, and you have a truly awesome and unique gameplay experience.

Graphics - While it does lack some of MMIV's amazing cutscenes, it does put its self over the top by being a Super Gameboy game. Meaning that if you play this on your T.V. via your SNES, the game adds a lot of needed color the the black and white game. Overall just due to that this game has the best graphics in the GB MM series.

Music - Look it's a MM game, it will have great music, so these are just some of the songs that I truly enjoyed playing through the game.

Venus's Theme (This song will be stuck in your head all day :evil:)
Pluto's Theme
Jupiter's Theme
Mercury's Theme

Extras/Re-playability - Like most Mega Man games there isn't much to come back to. At least in this one, however, there are some hidden items and upgrades you may have missed the first time through. But over all, there's not much to come back to.

Final Thoughts - MMV is quite frankly an amazing game and is one of the best in the series, ranking up there with 2,3, 5, and 9. If it had not been released during the time when MM6 and MMX it may have gotten the attention it deserved. Unfortunately, that also means that it didn't sell that well either, thus making quite costly to find. And unlike the equally expensive MMX3(SNES), this game has never been ported or re-released, making it currently the rarest game in the MM series.

Rating back then: 7.5/10
Rating today: 9/10
Recommendation: 7/10 (very expensive)
How much I paid for it: $70-80 (I don't remember exactly, as it was a gift I asked for, cart only)

Next Review - Valkyria Chronicles 2 (PSP)

D

Deleted member

I'm enjoying these reviews. Looking forward to seeing more of them.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well it's nice to see more people enjoying my reviews. Even though it's been a while since I've updated.

I have a few more planned so when I get time I'll add them.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It has certainly been a while since my last review. lol

Story - Two years after the events of the first game. A rebel group, led by egotistic aristocrat, forms in Southern Gallia with the intent to begin an ethnic cleansing campaign against Gallians of Darcsen descent, along with the Queen of Gallia who too was revealed to be Darcsen. But with Gallia's military still weak from the events of the first game, they are unable to stop the rebellion from gaining momentum. Soon the Gallian government is forced to send military academy cadets to the front lines to stop the rebellion and the cleansing. The main character, Avan Hardins, soon witnesses the results of the rebellion and learns that his brother Leon, who killed in some sort of secret mission. Wanting to learn more about his brother's death and protect his country, Avan enrolls and is accepted into the Lanseal Military Academy. Using his instincts in battle he quickly becomes the class president of Class G, a class of lower class students who are looked down upon by other classes and teachers. Despite this setback, Class G under Avan’s leadership quickly becomes a major fighting force against the rebellion, which is when the story really gets going…

Overall the story is just as enjoyable as the first game. Unfortunately the main characters in this game just aren't as interesting as the first game, as they're more of the generic shounen manga stereotypes. However, unlike the first game, the villains of this game really shine. As IMO, they just make you not like them at all, like any villain should. But what really gets to me about them is how their ideology changes throughout the game which makes for many interesting plot twists and characters overall. Especially if you've played the first game and know that they're hypocrites in their ideology.

Gameplay - Unlike most tactical RPGs the battlefields are done as a 3rd person shooter. Each turn you are given a predetermined amount of command points. In order to control it costs you 1 CP, 2 CP to use a tank. Once a character is selected, depending on the character, you can move up to a certain amount of space around the map. Once used up then your character cannot move anymore meaning you can now go into action mode in which you can do multiple actions such as attacking, healing, ect. Any character can be selected any amount of times per turn as long as you have the correct amount of CP left, although each time you use a character their ability to move around the map goes down each time you select them until the next turn.

Depending on the mission given you can have multiple objectives to complete such as capture the enemy base, kill a boss, find and collect a certain number of items, eliminate all enemies, or move a certain unit to a specific place on the map.

Each mission you complete you gain a certain amount of exp, money, and various items you can use to power up your party. However unlike most RPGs, leveling up is done by leveling up an entire character class, not a specific unit.

The only way you can lose is if your all your own bases are captured, all 20 units in your party are defeated, or your party's morale falls to 1.

Morale is a new feature for VC2. Starting at 3, depending on how well you do in the mission, such as killing enemies or capturing bases you can raise it up to 5, which slightly raises your units’ stats. However, the opposite effect can happen if Morale falls under 3, such as losing bases and characters being defeated.

Unlike the first game, instead of 1 large map to play on you have access to around 2-5, depending on the mission, to move through. However, unlike the first game as well you can only have up to 6 units on the map in total. So this does increase the emphasis of strategic planning much more than the first game as well.

The biggest change though is the revamped class up system. For each mission you complete, and depending on which units you send into battle, you gain a certain number of certificates, they vary by the mission. Once a unit gains the correct amount of certificates needed then you can spend them to class up said unit, and the process begins again. The main problem though is that certificates gained each mission are given to your units at random, so even if you use a certain unit a lot in a mission it doesn't really pay off and makes the whole system quite tedious and only starts working near the end of the game.

The game is told through months, or 12 chapters. Each chapter you must complete a certain amount of given missions in order to unlock the story mode mission and then progress to the next chapter. Unfortunately most missions are repetitive and it can really get annoying to complete each over and over again.

The only other complain that I have with the game is the uneven difficulty. While it can be overcome with a good strategic mind, some of the story mode missions can be just outright cheap or too easy: Ex. In the 4th Story mode mission, you must deal with the final boss who'll move across the map with infinite movement, machine gun style sniper rifle, and a shield to block all attacks, so you can see where I'm going with this...

Graphics - They're quite good for a PSP game, but they're a total let down from the original water color graphics of the first game. This game is instead told through anime style cut scenes similar to the Valkyria Chronicles (1) anime. It's o.k., but it is a major let down from the game that created a new art form and standard for games. I will admit though that the PSP maybe could not handle them, but it's a letdown none the less.

Music - Like any RPG the music is a must to make the game complete. The game goes for a more school life anime oriented soundtrack rather than the original war themes of the original. But seeing as the story is much different it does fit the game rather well. Unfortunately I was not paying much attention to the music so I only remember a few really good tracks.

Main/Title Theme
Theme of Class G
Theme of the Rebels
Theme of (the) Valkyria
Liberation Battle

Extras/Re-playability - Unlike the first game there is much more available after the game is completed besides other diffculties and more missions to complete. There is DLC, plenty of unlockables and achievements to complete as well. So this is a major improvement over the first game.

Final Thoughts - There is plenty of improvements in this game that makes this a good sequel, but it just lacks the magic of the first game, that and long load times. Like the original it has fallen under the radar of most RPG fans, which is a shame as this series is really the best Sega has put out ever since the fall of the Blue Blur. It's definitely an impressive and forgotten game for the PSP, that is a must buy for any fan of RPGs as it’s one of, if not the best on the PSP.

Rating: 8.5/10
Recommendation: 8/10
How much I paid for it: $35 (Used, but I did get lucky as it was in very good condition, you usually pay $40 new),

Next Review: Pulseman (Sega Genesis/Virtual Console)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Story - In the 21st century, scientist Doc Yoshiyama succeeded in creating the world's most advanced AI (Artificial Intelligence). Calling it "C-Life," he soon falls in love with his creation (the AI's a girl). So in order to be closer to her he digitizes himself and uploads himself to his computer. The couple then "have some fun" by combining his DNA and her program core. This results in the birth of a half human, half C-Life boy who they name Pulseman. Pulseman was unique as he doesn't need to remain inside a computer to survive. Not only that but he had the power to control electricity to use as a weapon and transportation, resulting in his signature move: Voltteccer (Volt Tackle). However having lived inside the computer world for too long Yoshiyama's mind is twisted and he turns insane. Once he emerged back into the real world he turns himself into the evil Doc Waruyama. As Waruyama he creates his own army known as the Galaxy Gang creating a wave of cyber-terrorism across the world. Realizing this, Pulseman springs into action to stop his father and defeat his Galaxy Gang.

Gameplay - The gameplay, IMO, can best be summarized as a mix of Sonic and Mega Man. At the beginning of the game you have the option of going to 1 of 3 levels that are available initially. Once you beat them all then another 3 levels open up, and, of course, once you beat those you are able to move onto the final level.

Pulseman has many different ways of attacking, from various kicks and punches, to his signature move: Voltteccer. In order to use the Voltteccer, you must run up to a certain length in order to charge up the electricity inside Pulseman. This can also be instantly done by doing a short dash by double tapping the control stick. Once charged up you can use the charge to either activate the Voltteccer or turn his punch into a projectile.

The Voltteccer is a rather unique move, as it sort of works as 2nd jump. When used it launches you at a 45 degree angle, once in the mode you only have a few seconds before it stops. You can cancel out of it, or if it hits a wall you can bounce off it like a pinball. In addition, you also use it to attach to wires that work like a rain line in order to transport yourself across large sections of the level. So using Voltteccer at the right time and angle is crucial for progressing through levels.

Later on in the game, water makes an appearance in the stages. If you touch any water you lose your charge instantly, even if in the middle of a Voltteccer. In addition, it also powers down many of your other attacks, so it makes the game much harder overall.

Unfortunately there is no save feature nor is there a password save feature and you can only take up to 3 hits before you lose a life, and like many Genesis games, if you lose all your continues then it's back to the title screen. Thankfully there are a bonus rounds at the end of each level so you can earn extra lives and continues if you do well.

Graphics - If there's one spot in this game that stands out it's the graphics. The game is by far the most colorful game on the Genesis by far. Throw in some cool backgrounds that will remind one of the Net overworld in the Mega Man Battle Network series, and you have one cool looking, but trippy game.

Music - If you've ever played a Pokemon game before you will enjoy the music of this game seeing as Junichi Masuda, the composer of Pokemon, also did the score for this game.

Neo Tokyo
Stereo Protect
Kernel Pages
Technology
Dead Dimension
Super Target (Stage Select)

Extras/Re-playability - Like most Genesis games there isn't much to come back too. There is a hidden stage select and sound test mode, but that's about it.

Final Thoughts - It's a shame it never came out here in the U.S. it's definitely one of the best games ever made for the Genesis. With this being the last game before Game Freak was bought by Nintendo, you can really see the direction that the company was heading. So it should be no surprise that this game is considered to be Pokemon's older brother especially with all of the references the Pokemon series makes to it. Overall it's a fun, unique game that's well worth the investment if you are a fan of Pokemon or love a good platformer.

Rating back then: ?/10
Rating Today: 8/10
Recommendation: 7.5/10
How much I paid for it: $9 (on the VC. It costs over $100 just for the cart, not to mention you'll need import a Japanese Genesis as they're region locked)

Next Review: Kid Icarus (NES)

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I really enjoyed the original Valkyria Chronicles. Would you say that going on to VC 2 is too much of a letdown? I strongly considered getting it, but I didn't like what I read about its changes when it was released.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
VC2 is a great game, but IMO it just lacks some of the magic that the first had (mostly due to the graphics). The changes are fine and add much more depth to the game but they do need some getting used to.

The only change that needs any real work is the class chance system. While it's worth it in the end, it's just plain frustrating to deal with the certificate system:

Since after each mission the units you used each gain a certain amount of different certificates, however, other than the unit you used the most gets the most certificates, how the game hands them out is at random so you often have to keep replaying missions over and over again in order to get them.

I did like the new map system though, as it heavly increases the strategic elements of the game. Along with the new character class: Armored Soldier. They're boss killers. :cool:

I think it's worth a purchase if you enjoyed the original, it's certainly one of the better games for the PSP. Just don't expect the exact same experience you had with the first.

P.S. It's also more enjoyable if you don't look up plot spoilers online like I did. lol

Again, throwing in my support for the continuation of this. I had not realized this before, but I suppose the reason we have so many cartoonish like characters for gaming icons is due to how poor the graphics could support complicated features.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Story - In the distant past in a time when Gods and Man lived together; there existed a kingdom called "Angel Land." This kingdom was ruled by two goddesses, Palutena: the goddess of light, and Medusa: the goddess of darkness Palutena used her powers to help man live in peace, Medusa, however, took pleasure in harming man by destroying their crops and turning them into stone. In anger, Palutena turned Medusa into an ugly monster and banished her to the Underworld. In an act of revenge, Medusa, along with an army of Underworld monsters, lead a surprise attack on Palutena and her army and was defeated in battle. In addition, Medusa took and locked away the Three Sacred Treasures of Angel Land. Palutena, with the last of her strength, was able to set free the angel youth and captain of her personal bodyguards, Pit, from imprisonment in Underworld. Armed with a bow and arrows given to him by Palutena, Pit escapes from his prison and sets out to recover the Three Sacred Treasures in order to have the power to stop Medusa and save Angel Land.

Gameplay - KI for the most part is a platformer mixed with some RPG elements.

Divided into 13 different levels, each has a different style of platforming, such as unidirectional vertical stages, basic side scrolling stages, labyrinths, and a flying section that serves as the final level.

Side scrolling levels work in a similar way to the Mario series, as in you can't move left. The more common vertical scrolling levels are unidirectional similar to a game like Balloon Fight or Ice Climbers, but you are unable to move down, so each of these levels is very much over a bottomless pit, something of which this game is rather famous for.

Labyrinths serve as the last levels for each world. While the game does retain its platforming style, progression is very similar to the dungeons from the Zelda series, as in you work your way through a maze in order to defeat a boss.

Pit himself can be upgraded several times throughout the game, along with collecting several different kinds of items. But all of that comes down to killing enemies who increase your score so you can upgrade and to gain hearts (money) to purchase items. So it does become quite crucial to take things easy during the first few levels so you can survive the latter levels, especially since enemies don't respawn.

But as a side note, of the more import items that take a major role in these levels are hammers. Each hammer you gain, one use only, may be used to free allies from statues in fortresses who will help you in your fight against a boss.

Each level does have various doors you can enter in order to help make progression easier, such as shops, training rooms, health refills, gambling for items etc.

Graphics - There simple classic NES graphics, nothing real special. Props for adding a foreground though.

Music - What else can be said, KI has one of the best soundtracks in all of Video Game History.

Underworld
Overworld *mistitled in Brawl as Skyworld
Skyworld

Extras/Re-playability - Like some of the earlier Nintendo game there are some minor easter eggs, but they aren't much to keep you coming back. The game, like Metroid, does feature multiple endings, although these are based on item collection rather than completion time. There are also hidden passwords to give you various game breaking powers such as invincibility.

Final Thoughts - KI is a classic no doubt, and still today it stands out as one of the greatest games of all time. So therefore it's a must play, of course. While it is known for having an unmerciful difficulty, it's plenty justified and is quite fare. With this year being KI's 25 anniversary for those reading this review, you owe it to yourself to play this game if you call yourself a video gamer.

Rating back then: ?
Recomendation: 9/10
How much I payed for it: $20 (For a mint copy)

Next Review: Metroid 2

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It's been a while since I've updated, so forgive me if I'm bumping at all (also forgive me for double posting lol).

I have bought and beaten several other games since my last update, I've even bought a new Wii and a 3DS. So expect new reviews coming soon. ;)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
New games? No, I just like bragging about I what I got for Christmas. lol

I'm a retro gamer and am proud of it, so most of my reviews will be for retro games, only VC2 I made an exception for because I enjoyed it so much (that and it deserves more attention).

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Story - Shortly after the events of Prime 3, the Galactic Federation sends several teams of solders to the Metroid home planet, SR388, to destroy the Metroid species and prevent the Space Pirates from ever using them again. But when none of the teams make it back alive, Samus is sent to finish the job.

Gameplay - Like every Metroid title before and after it, 2 plays out fairly similar, so it's your standard adventure/exploration platformer. The big difference with this title is the limited power of the GB, due to this the game is much more linear than other titles in the series.

As you explore the planet your job is to find and destroy the various Metroids in their various stages of development, there being around 40 in total for the entire game as shown by a counter in the bottom of the screen. Once all Metroids in a particular area have been destroyed the game will shake signaling access to a new area.

The big draws for the game though are the new features and weapons that would become series staples later on. Samus can now crouch down and shoot enemies, along with jumping and shooting straight down, making it much easier for players familiar with the original.

New notable items include:
  • Space Jump
  • Various new Beams (ex. Plasma Beam)
  • Spider Ball
  • Spring Ball
Upgrades such as energy and missile tanks are in short supply in this game, so unlike other titles each give you more for your upgrade ex. Missile Tanks now give 10 missiles instead of 5.

Overall the linear gameplay is not felt too much due to the almost maze structure of the game due to the changing areas that pop up every once in a while, so it does feel like there is plenty to explore, unfortunately there's not much reward. Metroids are found fairly often, and are pretty much common business late in the game to deal with. Most power ups and expansions can be found laying out in the open in numbers of up to 3 at a time. Most enemies are also fairly easy to deal with and serve more as easy refills on health and missiles than actual enemies that hinder your progress.

The in-game world may be large, but it just can shake the feeling that it's condensed.

Graphics - For the most part the background and textures are pretty bland, there is little if any difference between Areas other than layout, and without much color it can be said the game is let down in comparison to its predecessor. Being on the GameBoy it may be forgiven somewhat, but when harmless water looks the same as dangerous acid and lava there's a problem. Samus and the games various enemies, however, have much more detail than in the original game, Samus's suit even changes in detail when she upgrades.

Music - For the most part the entire game is mostly silent and full of the occasional echoes of space, but the music that was included still stands out as some of the most memorable of the series.

SR388
Queen Metroid Battle
The Galaxy is at Peace (Ending Theme)

Extras/Re-playability - Like the original the most you would want to come back for are speed runs and to get some ZSS eye candy. :cool:

Final Thoughts - Overall I found the game to be a bit of a letdown. While I'm not sure if it is the worst game in the series (I have yet to play Other M), it just doesn't live up to the other games in the series. The lack of music and bland graphics just gave me a dull sense of interest from beginning to end. Of which is a shame as they would have gotten the upgrades the game needed in the cancelled DX version. I find this game to be for die hard Metroid fans, casual gamers would be better off playing other games in the series before pursuing this title. IMO, the game just has not aged all that well.

Rating Back Then: ?
Rating Now: 7/10
Recommendation: 6.5/10
How much I payed for it: $7 (cartridge, it's $4 on the VC though)

Next Review: Bionic Commando (NES)

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Wow. Nice reviews, and I especially enjoyed the one on Metroid 2, the only Metroid game that I have yet to own and play. (With the Nintendo eShop up now, I will definitely make my Metroid collection complete.) Also, Other M wasn't a bad game. It was pretty easy though, but still fun to play, and the story wasn't as bad as what people made it out to be. So if you have yet to pick it up, you're in luck, since it can be found for pretty cheap now.

This makes me want to post some of my earlier reviews that I wrote on another forum a few years ago up. Maybe I'll do it later. Plus some new reviews that I have yet to do. Maybe.

PS: Birdy the Mighty is awesome.

Poor Tudo, you will be missed.

Also, spoiler tags are so odd on this forum.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Do you think you could review Sonic Advance 3?

It was so good, but now people just treat it like dust in the wind.

Classic Sonic fans need a good memory after the Sonic Generations horror.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'll have to see, as I will admit that I am interested in the Sonic Advance series from the things I've heard about it.

It'll be a week or 2 before I can head back down to a game store, but that would be something easy to get a hold of. I recently bought Generations for my 3DS, so I'm in the mood for some more Sonic.

Currently I'm working on Bionic Commando since it's the most recent game I've finished and it is fresh in my head. After that I'll still deciding between Sonic CD, Earthbound, and KI: OM&M.

PS: Birdy the Mighty is awesome.
And here I thought most people had never heard of it. Bonus Points!. :cool:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Story - There are two states, the Federation and the Empire. One day it is discovered by the Federation that the Empire is working on a weapon of mass destruction known as the "Albatros project," which was originally started by an organization known as the "Badds," but was never completed. In order to stop the Empire, they send in Super Joe (from the other Capcom game "Commando") to infiltrate the Empire, but instead ends up as a POW. To rescue Joe, they sent in Nathan "Radd" Spencer, a soldier who has been given a bionic arm (wired gun in the original manual).

Gameplay - As one may guess the gameplay is different than the standard platformer, in that you don't have a jump button. So, as one may have guessed already, you use Spencer's Bionic Arm to swing from platform to platform at a 45 degree angle. With it you can also hang from walls, grab items at a distance. It takes a second to get used to, but it's definitely a fresh breath of air once you fully grasp the full mechanics of swinging.

There are 3 types of levels that you must navigate through using a world map (which IMO looks like a game board):

Basic levels are the standard levels for this game, just progress through the level to make it to the end so you can destroy a generator that is guarded by a boss. The bosses themselves are fairly easy and are often reused throughout the game, but are all optional as you really just want to take out the generator they're guarding. Often items you are also required to enter Computer rooms so you can gather info from allies and spy on enemies (spying can sometimes backfire and summon enemies).

Neutral Levels are the other most common type. They're all very short and each have the same layout with only a few minor differences. Here pretty much using your gun at all is forbidden, using it will summon enemies that will re-spawn until you exit the level. So here your only goal is to gather Intel and items.

Overhead levels based on the Commando series also appear. As you move through the world map enemy trucks also circle around, meeting up with one will trigger these levels. They're pretty short and fairly easy, they're really just there so you can gather Continues (which in this game are rather important since there is no save feature).

Along with various items and weapons you acquire, your other goal is to gather Bullets (exp points) in order to improve your health bar. Overall the gameplay is really unique and the control is spot on, the only thing is that there are occasionally some cheap deaths that can be caused by not seeing where you're going, but for the most part deaths are mostly just your errors not the game itself.

Graphics - Not really ground breaking, but the game is surprisingly colorful for a war game and has a distinct charm to it all. In the end, that's really all you can ask for from a game. It's really only impressive during cut scenes and the end of the game where characters get FE style portraits, of which, make for a really cool final boss confrontation (I'd say more but spoilers).

Music - Like with pretty much every game Capcom has produced for the NES system, the music is some of the best Capcom has ever done that is not MM related.

Area 1 (BC Main Theme)
Area 5
Neutral Areas

Extras/Re-playability - It's an early NES adventure game, so other than maybe speed running there's nothing really to come back to.

Final Thoughts - Overall this is a game that defines short but sweet, it's tons of fun but it can be beaten in a solid afternoon of play. Other than a few cheap deaths because you can see what you're swinging into, the game remains a blast to play because of its unique gameplay. I will admit, I have not played the remake yet (BC: Rearmed), but from what I've heard it's better to play this version first before the remake. Throw in the fact that it's relatively cheap (see below), there's no real reason not to get this for your NES.

Rating Now: 8/10
Recommendation: 8.5/10
How Much I Paid for it: $3 (used, the GB version is on the 3DS VC for $4)
Next Review: Sonic CD

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Story - Sonic and his new friend (GF?) Amy arrive at Never Lake where the legendary Little Planet is said to appear once a year. But to their shock they find the planet chained to a mountain and is metalized. Realizing this to be the work of Dr. Robotnik (Eggman sucks :p) who is trying to turn the planet into a base tries to stop him. But it is soon revealed that he has created an evil doppelganger of Sonic dubbed "Metal Sonic," who kidnaps Amy. Now Sonic must travel the planet and collect Time Stones, in order to save Amy, defeat Metal, and save the Little Planet.

Gameplay - To quick summarize Sonic games, you control Sonic, speeding him to the end of each Zone which is made up of 3 acts (levels). Rings (coins) are used to protect him from damage and will give him an extra life if 100 are collected.

In addition to the standard Spin Dash attack that returns from Sonic 2, Sonic now has the new "Super Peel Out" which lets him reach higher speeds than the Spin Dash in a matter of seconds, but is more vulnerable to attack. Both are done by rapidly pressing the jump button while holding Up for Peel Out/Down for Spin Dash.

The game features 7 different zones that are divided into 3 acts, two main levels and a boss one.

The main gimmick in comparison to other games in the series, of course, is time traveling. By hitting sign posts each labeled "Past, Present, or Future," and staying at the highest possible speed for a short amount of time you are able to travel through time to a different era of the same level. Each era you go to changes significantly so each act is more like 3 levels in one. By beating a Metal Sonic hologram in the past of each act creates a better future for the act, where there are less enemies (a good future). Conversely, if the hologram remains undefeated then, if you travel to the future, it will be full of even more enemies than normal (called a bad future). Beating each act in the good future then allows for a good future boss fight (which normally takes place in the bad future).

Other than that, in comparison to other games in the series, due to this gimake, the levels are not as speed-run-able as before. As they appear as more of maze to run across, thus slowing down gameplay.

Special stages allow return, gained by having at least 50 rings at the end of an act, so like Chaos Emeralds, Time Stones are gained here: The goal being to run around on a three-dimensional plane and destroying UFOs within a certain time limit.

Overall because of the structure of the levels, this is a major change of pace for those used to Sonic 1-4. Of course, time travel is optional, but to truly "play the game" exploration is encouraged. The only problem this creates is that you can get stuck sometimes in certain areas and be stuck running in a circle until you figure out how to get out.

Boss battles are all innovative and are plenty fun, but they are much easier overall comparison the rest of the Genesis series. And for the first time for the series you also have a save feature!

*In the updated port, Tails is also a playable character. The gameplay is the same, but instead of a Peel Out attack, Tails can fly.

Graphics - Despite coming out after Sonic 2, I must say I'm rather surprised the graphics more resemble Sonic 1 (not that that's bad or anything). The graphics are good for the era and the sprites have a lot of animation as well. Anime style cut scenes also appear in the game's opening and ending, they're done quite well, and it feels like a much better reward than just watching standard endgame credits, most importantly it gives the game more of a story to follow on as well.

Music - The music for Sonic CD is rather odd in general, mostly because of the fact that there are two different soundtracks, Japan/PAL and the USA. Japan/PAL features music with a stereotypical 90s feel to it, while the USA got music, IMO, that sounds a little bit closer to the standard 16 bit music you'd hear in that generation of gaming. Both soundtracks are good, although I do believe that the Japan/PAL is the prefer version between the two.

Unlike other games in the series, each Zone features multiple themes to go with the time travel mechanics. Ex. Good Future tracks are bright and uplifting; Bad Future tracks just sound plain menacing.

Palmtree Panic (JP/EU)
Palmtree Panic (USA)
Palmtree Panic Past (JP/EU)
Palmtree Panic Good Future (JP/EU)
Palmtree Panic Bad Future (JP/EU)
Sonic Boom (USA)
Stardust Speedway Bad Future (JP/EU)

Extras/Re-playability - It's a Sonic game, so once you speed through it the first time, you can play through it again to try and get the best ending. There are multiple ways to do it in this game, instead of just beating the bonus stages, you can also beat each zone in the good future as well.

Final Thoughts - I will admit that I did not enjoy this game on my first play through, as it is was a major change of pace for me, as I was more used to other games in the series. But the exploring and time travel gimmicks are rather fun if you give them the chance (along with the music IMO :laugh:). The Special stages are some of the best ones in the series, although I still suck at them. The only real downside to this game is the lack of some of the innovations of Sonic 2 such as Super Sonic and the lack of the same graphics. The maze-like structures of some of the levels can also be very frustrating at times as well. Overall this is one of the best games in the series, and it features much more to come back to than the other games in the Genesis series by far.

Rating Back Then: 9/10
Rating Now: 8.5/10
Recommendation: 9/10
How Much I Paid for it: $5 (for the expaned port, an original copy is around $20)
Next Review: Kid Icarus: Of Myths & Monsters (I had some requests for it)

**As a side note, I did end up buying the soundtrack on iTunes ($10). The music is very catchy as a general warning. ;)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Story - One night the Goddess of Light, Palutena, has a nightmare, foreshadowing an invasion by the demon Orcos. To combat this new threat, she commands Pit to enter special training to allow him to use Angel Land's three sacred treasures in preparation of the coming attack.

Gameplay - Seeing as I've already explained the gameplay when I reviewed the first game, I'm only going to go over the changes. (I'm lazy :p)

Anyway, probably the biggest change for the series is that the bottomless pit as you scroll up the stage has been removed. This does mean, of course, that you’ll have to re-climb back up the stage, but it is certainly better than dying.

Centurions have been removed entirely. Instead, hammers are now used to break statues and walls to find extra items and health. So while this makes progression easier, it does make boss fights more difficult.

Pit, himself, has now gained the ability to flap his wings in the air and slow his decent. This is a big change as it makes it much easier to conquer the tough platforming this game requires by extending your jumps.

Unlike the original's unidirectional levels, levels now scroll freely in all directions, giving the game a more open world type feeling. You all now have the ability to save!

Graphics - For the most part the graphics have improved over the original, now showing more detail and textures overall.

Music - In honesty, the music is not as memorable or as classic the original. The game still has some good tunes, but none that can beat the original’s.

Underworld
Overworld
Fortress

Extras/Re-Playability - With the removal of the password system, there are no Easter eggs at all, so there is less to come back to than the original unfortunetly.

Final Thoughts -
For those new to the series, due the more forgiving gameplay, I would recommend this over the original. This game improves vastly over its predecessor due to new features, better graphics, and much more forgiving gameplay. It's by far one of the best GB games out there, and it's a shame the series has not received a new entry in over twenty years. Twenty five years for the Japanese though, as it's one of the only first party titles never to have made it to the east (bragging rights! :awesome:).

Rating Back Then:
7.5/10
Recommendation: 8/10
How Much I Paid for it: $10-20 (I don't remember exactly)
Next Review: The Guardian Legend (NES)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Story - As a large planet (or something) named Naju is hurtling towards the Earth. As the guardian of the Earth (named Miria) it is up to you to stop it. After landing on the planet, Miria must travel to the far reaches of the planet and activate ten safety devices left by other aliens, who in the past, failed to destroy Naju.

Gameplay - Probably the first, if not best example of genre mixing, this game takes elements from many games such as Zelda, Metroid, and the 1940 series.

As soon as you start up the game you are thrust into the first of twenty-two overhead shooter levels called corridors. Here the gameplay is similar to most shooter games at the time, fight your way to the end of a section, fight a boss, and move on. These sections make up a large part of the game as you must beat at least ten in order to progress, the rest are optional but they give you power ups for completion. Most of these levels are fast paced and can often be quite lengthy, and allow you to equip the various weapons you gather in the overworld. Bosses at the end are fairly challenging and will take time to defeat, sometimes up to 3-5 minutes. Unfortunately there are only about 10 different bosses to fill the 22 levels so many are often reused and are re-colored. Still in comparison to other shooters at the time and maybe even the genre, you do have a large health bar so you don't die every time you get hit.

Overworld sections very much resemble the Zelda series as in you move from square to square in a rather large overworld collecting weapons and seeking out corridors. Here, unlike most games at the time, you have the ability to move in all 8 directions. However, on your pause screen, right from the beginning, you have a map of the world with icons that guide you directly to corridors, and only once you gain a key then more and more of the overworld can be accessed, so it's fairly linear. You allow have the ability to walk in all 8 directions, a rarity for games at the time. Most of your time here will be spent searching for items, fighting mini-bosses in cage fights, some backtracking to buy items, and gathering hints in order to unlock corridors.

There are also password rooms, something that would evolve into save rooms, are in this game, another rarity at the time. Here you have the option of getting your password in order to continue. The game does a really good job with this as all lower case letters have dots on them to differentiate them from other letters, so long having to start over due to bad handwriting. In addition, as soon as you get your password you have the option of practicing typing it in so you can check yourself for mistakes as well! Throw in the fact that the passwords are rather short for such a complex game, and IMO, you have the best Password Pak game in the NES library.

Pulling from RPGs, you have an experience system as well. Once you get your points to a certain number you will level up, adding to and refilling your health bar.

Weapons themselves are also upgradeable up to three times, and with around twenty different weapons that's a lot of upgrading. Weapons do, however, are limited in use as they share a rather important bar known as chips. These chips allow you to use weapons until you have no more left. However, chips also serve as in-game currency and control the power of you main gun. So it's rather important that you don't go overboard early in the game when your chips are limited.

There are a few negative aspects as well. Only a few weapons are ever really usable or will come in handy. When you die you don't lose any of your points, so if you die on a boss chances are you'll level up the next time you fight them making it an easy win. Enemies in the overworld can sometimes hug you and quickly kill you if you're not careful as well.

Graphics - The graphics are quite impressive for an 8 bit shooter, the backgrounds are very rich in detail despite the rate at which the screen goes by. However, the overworld does seem rather bland in comparison, but it does have many different and quite colorful environments to explore. There is also a lot of flickering and occasional slowdown when there are a lot of enemies on the screen as well.

Music - Because this game is a sleeper hit, the music isn't the most memorable, but it's still rather quite good and is very catchy.

Title Theme
Main Overworld
Area 1, 2
Corridor 1, 2, 11, 12
Corridor 3, 4, 13, 14

Extras/Re-Playability - There is a password input that will let you play the game the skips the overworld levels and only play the corridor levels like a normal shooter. It does provide a greater challenge, but other than that, there isn't much to come back to.

Final Thoughts - This game is easily the biggest sleeper title for the NES, it just has so much that makes it great:

• Mixed gameplay options
  • Great Password system
  • Great translation and hint system
  • Large Overworld
  • Many different weapons each with multiple upgrades

And if that didn't sell it, you play as a girl in a bikini, with guns, who can turn into a spaceship (eat your heart out Samus). :smirk:

It's a shame this game never took off despite all of things it had going for it, and with Irem gone we'll never see a proper sequel. If anything though, this is a game that will probably scratch whatever itch you have, I highly recommend it to anyone with an NES who doesn't already own it.

Rating Back Then: 8.5/10
Rating Now: 8.5/10
Recommendation: 9/10
How Much I Paid for it: I got it as a gift (it should cost $3-5 at a game store or online)

Next Review: ファイアーエムブレム 暗黒竜と光の剣 (:p)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Story - 100 years ago the continent of Archanea was invaded by the country of Dolhr and the Earth Dragon Medeus. Who, in the end, managed to capture the entire continent until a young warrior named Anri defeated Medeus using the divine sword Falchion. 100 years later Medeus has been resurrected and has teamed up with an evil sorcerer named Gharnef, they topple country after country, even imtemidating some to join them in their conquest. King Cornelius of Altea and the successor of Anri, together with the Altean army and the country of Gra headed into battle to defeat Medeus's forces, only to be betrayed by Gra resulting in their defeat, and Gharnef taking and hiding the Falchion sword. As Altea is overrun by enemy forces and the capture of Princess Ellis, Prince Marth, the last person to be able to wield Falchion is forced into hiding in the neighboring country of Talys until the time comes that he can fight back...

Gameplay - Being the first tactical RPG ever the gameplay is rather simple overall. As you move through each chapter you main goal is to capture a fort/throne with Marth (that is often guarded by a boss), only losing when Marth himself falls in battle. In order to do this you control up to 12 characters per chapter, using them to accomplish this and other minor tasks that can be completed in each chapter. Such as: recruiting characters, collecting important items, protecting villages in order to gain rare items and money, and gambling in arenas.

There are more than 50 playable characters and around 25 character classes that appear in this game, each with their own stats and abilities. Giving this game by far the largest cast of characters in all of 8 bit gaming.

The other main aspect, that actually makes this game differ in comparison to other games in the series, is the item system. Each character can only hold up to 4 weapons/items at a time, you can also only trade a single item between characters each action, so item management is rather important. So in each chapter an item tent appears. Here you can store up to 30 items (200 in other games in the series), but it costs you $ to withdraw them.

There is a main menu before each chapter where you select which character you wish to bring into battle, but unlike other games in the series that is the only option you have. You cannot access your item tent, let alone manage items between characters or adjust in-game options. All of this must be done in-chapter. So doing this each chapter can be rather tedious and it also makes this game very hard to properly speed run as well.

The only other issues are character stats as they are the lowest in FE history as HP maxes out at 42 and all other stats at 20, so becomes rather easy to power up your characters by the end of the game. Throw in the fact that shops that sell stat boosting items are unlimited (unlike in the rest of the series) it takes away from the difficulty during the last few chapters of the game.

Graphics - The graphics for this game are sort of a mixed bag, on the one hand they're rather impressive with the fully animated battle cut scenes and character portraits. However, the game in every single chapter uses the same exact map colors, even indoors. So by late in the game it can become a little annoying to deal with so much green.

Music - Like any good RPG the music in this game is just as good and memorable. So forgive me if I went a little over board with some of the music I posted here. :p

Fire Emblem Main Theme
Enemy Phase
Player Phase
Trouble (Chapter Intro)
White Sage - Gotoh's Theme
The Chosen Ones (Final Chapter Player Theme)
Come Join Us (Recruitment Theme)

Extras/Re-playability - Other than a Sound Test mode, that I myself have been unable to get to work (and when I tried to it deleted by saves), there isn't much to come back too. However, chances are you'll be getting a lot more time out of this game in comparison to its remakes.

Final Thoughts - This game just plain has not aged well. With 2 remakes, it's easy to see why. It's definitely Fire Emblem in its purest form but it does have many issues to work with, mainly how items are handled. It's a great import game, and is relatively easy to translate as well. This game can definitely compete with its first remake due to having more content, but Shadow Dragon beats it by a long shot. Unless you're an import gamer or are a major FE fan, you'll be better off with the DS remake.

*As a side note though, this game has been translated through ROM hacking. I do not support roms (hence why I imported to begin with), nor will I provide a link to where you can find one.

Rating Back Then: 8.5/10
Rating Today: 6.5/10
Recommendation: 6/10
How Much I Paid for it: $25 (complete in box)
Next Review: Super Mario Land 2: the 6 Golden Coins

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Story - Directly taking place after Super Mario Land, while Mario was away, Wario, Mario's rival from childhood, takes over Mario's Castle* to claim as his own. Mario must now find 6 golden coins in order to reclaim his castle.

*Since when did Mario have his own castle?

Gameplay - It's a Mario game, so I won't go into too much detail. For the most part, this game takes its gameplay from Super Mario World, so many of the mechanics remain the same as well as the power ups. The spin jump does return, but it is performed by pressing down mid-jump, but unlike World, you can only do it when you're Super or Fire Mario.

The big thing for this game is the new Bunny Mario. Probably the closest to Raccoon Mario from Mario 3, Bunny allows Mario to hover/extend his jumps by rapidly pressing the B button. The hang time you get off it is rather impressive, you can probably complete some levels by hovering over them similar to flying over them as Cape Mario from World.

There are 6 main worlds (6 coins) in the game. Unlike most Mario games though, they don't follow the stereotypical Grass, Lava, Sky, Water, Ice worlds that have made a name for themselves within Mario games. Each contains about 4 levels, the last level containing a boss that holds one of the six coins. There are some hidden levels and a few levels that are separate as well, so either way it's a rather large package of levels for the Gameboy. In addition, at the end of levels, if you hit a bell (flagpole) at the end of the level, you can enter a bonus mini-game in order to get extra lives and power ups.

The other big change is with coins. Here Mario still gains a life once he collects 100 coins, but Mario holds one main coin counter that can reach 999 coins. The main feature of this is that you can gamble them in a mini-game level so you can gain extra powerups.

There are a few problems with this game, however. First, collecting a Super Mushroom while being Fire or Bunny Mario will turn you into Super Mario, so it's like a semi-poison mushroom at times. Also, getting a game over results in you having to re-fight bosses in order to re-gain their coins, with only 5 lives, it can be rather annoying to complete as if you fail you'll have to start all over again. So it becomes, more or less, a boss rush mode.

Thankfully this game also comes with a save feature as well.

Graphics - A huge improvement over the original Mario Land, the graphics highly resemble Mario World, a SNES game, so it's rather impressive to say the least seeing as most GB games at the time looked more like NES or Atari games.

Music - Probably because it was on the Gameboy, but the music isn't as remember able as its console brethren. Still the music is bright and happy, just what one would expect of a Mario title.

Overworld Theme
Star Maze Level
Boss BattleWario's Castle

Extras/Re-playability - There are a few secret levels, but they're all optional. At most this is another speed run game.

Final Thoughts - Overall I enjoyed the game, it's probably the best original Mario platformer until New Super Mario Bros for the DS. The game can be a little annoying if you fall into the boss rush state however. It’s not the best in the series, if you ask me, but it’s a must have for anyone with a Gameboy.

Rating Now: 8/10
Recommendation: 8.5/10
How Much I Paid for it: $5 (costs the same on the VC, so the cart is recommended unless you like save states).
Next Review: Rockman & Forte

Top Bottom