• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Road to Apex: Phoenix Saga: Part 6

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
INTRODUCTION

After a year long hiatus, Michigan's top Brawl series is back for its 6th installment. We've got a great venue, a killer TO staff, some amazing out of state players coming and of course: Buffalo Wild Wings. And for the first time, we're implementing Project Melee for all you PM fans. Did I mention we're an Apex qualifier for the 3rd year now? So come down to Ann Arbor, Michigan on December 7th. And make sure your body is ready. :denzel:

Pierpont Commons East Room
2101 Bonisteel Blvd
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

If you're unfamiliar with any of these parts of downtown Ann Arbor, then please print out this map! I do not want to spend time giving directions to people on the phone. And please try to ARRIVE EARLY so we can start on schedule.

Driving Directions and TV Dropoff:
1. First, drop off your TV if you brought one. It's a 10-second walk from the TV dropoff spot to the venue room, so don't cop out! The venue room is exactly where the "A" is marked on the map.
2. Go park at one of the free parking lots on Hayward St (look for signs everywhere that say Parking Enforced Mon-Fri) or park at the paid visitor lot right next to the venue if you're super lazy.
3. Walk back to the venue, it's a 5-minute walk or so. Follow the arrows if you're unfamiliar with UM North Campus. If you're lost, ask someone where Pierpont Commons is, all the local students will know.

If you're unfamiliar any of these parts of downtown Ann Arbor, then please print out this map! I do not want to spend an hour on Saturday giving directions to people on the phone. And please try to ARRIVE EARLY so we can start on time.

SCHEDULE

DECEMBER 7th, 2013

9:00-10:00 A.M - Venue opens/Stations and everything relating to tournament play get set up.

10:00 - 12:00 P.M. - Free play and Registration for both events. Doubles registration closes at Noon on the dot.

12:30 P.M. - Double Starts

2:00 P.M. - Registration for Singles CLOSES.

If you haven't registered at this point, you're not getting in. I will take phone calls notifying your late arrival up until 2 as well. I will try to toss you in the second wave of pools if possible but I'm not going out of my way to do so.

2:45-3:00 P.M - Pools begin. Pools will be split into two waves of 8.

During the time your wave is not playing, you should take this time to go get food, relax and whatever else. Because everyone will be getting plenty of time to relax, the break between bracket and pools will be short. We expect pools to be done quickly and we will not tolerate excessive idol time. Matches need to be played on a consistent basis. Staff will be there to enforce this. And not being there for your pool will NOT be tolerated. If we can't find you after 10 minutes, I'm just gonna DQ you from all of your matches. Also around this point Doubles should be coming to a conclusion soon.

Note: Myself and about half of the staff will be in the first wave of pools to ensure that Bracket can start getting worked on once we're done. Also staff will be split between waves to ensure there is enough people enforcing matches during both waves.

7:30 P.M. - Bracket starts. We will be using a modified Mages DQ Rule for this event. 5 minutes after your set is called if you're not there....you lose Game 1. After another 5 minutes you lose the set. No mercy. We have a strict schedule.

PRICES AND PAYOUTS

Venue Fee - $5*
Brawl Singles - $10
Brawl Doubles - $10 per person
Project Melee Singles $5 per person

*Venue fee will be refunded to anyone bringing a full setup who stays for the entire event. A full setup is a TV and a Wii with a copy of Brawl with all characters and legal stages unlocked. Fee will be refunded if someone brings a setup for doubles and leaves before singles starts. This only applies if we use your setup for tournament use.

Payouts will be:
Singles,
1st: 48%
2nd: 22%
3rd: 14%
4th: 8%
5th: 4%
5th: 4%

Doubles
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

THE RULES

As Apex Qualifier event, we will be following suit and utilizing the Apex 2014 Stagelist and Ruleset. For your convenience, the ruleset is posted below. As it's a bit of a read, I sectioned them off in spoilers so you can read only what you want to easier.

GENERAL GAMEPLAY RULES

[collapse="Click here to see the General Gameplay Rules!"]

1. 3 Stocks
2. 8 Minute Time Limit
3. Items set to "Off" and "None"
4. All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
5. Meta Knight's Infinite Cape Glitch and Extended Cape Glitch are banned.
6. There is a Ledge Grab Limit of 35 for Meta Knight and 50 for all other characters. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
7. The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
8. Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
9. If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
* In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
* If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or via suicide move) or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 13 is used for Meta Knight, and 18 for all other characters.
[/collapse]

MODIFIED RULES FOR DOUBLES

[collapse="Click here to see the Doubles Rules!"]

1. Team Attack set to "On"
2. Life stealing is allowed.
3. In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
4. In the event of a game going to time and the Ledge Grab Limit can not determine a winner and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
5. If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.
[/collapse]

SET PROCEDURE
[collapse="Click here to see the Set Procedure!"]

1. Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
2. Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
3. Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 2-3-1 (Team 1 strikes two stages, followed by Team 2 striking three stages, with Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
5. The first match is played.
6. The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
7. The Team that won the previous match may announce one "Stage Ban" if they have not already done so in this set.
8. The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counterpick Stage List. Any Stage named as a "Stage Ban" by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
9. The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
10. The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
11. The next match is played.
12. Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.

DETERMINING PLAYER PRIORITY

If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
Teams agree to Rock-Paper-Scissors, otherwise it is determined with a coin-flip. The winning Team shall either elect to have first choice in port selection or first choice in Stage Strike. Whichever Team does not receive first choice in Port Selection will be compensated with first choice in Stage Striking.
Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).
[/collapse]

CONDUCT RULES

[collapse="Click here to see the Conduct Rules!"]

1. BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
2. Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (Such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks.
3. Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.
4. You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility (including battery issues with a Wii Remote), so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of these problems.
5. Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable by the TO.
6. No substitutions are allowed for singles or doubles.
7. Coaching is allowed only between games, not during. Failure to adhere to this will lead to punishment at the TO's discretion, which could include the removal from the venue.
8. DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
9. The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
10. Regarding textures and other game hacks:
* Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
* The BBR-RC recommends players do not use intrusive texture and stage hacks.
* Players are not allowed to use any game altering hacks, such as no-tripping or model hacks. If someone is caught setting up a system they brought with such hacks enabled can face punishment at the TO's discretion.
11. Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play (through something such as screaming in a player's ear) will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organizer sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible, and ejection from the venue is also a punishment.

•These rules are subject to change leading up to the event date. The Tournament Organizer reserves the right to remove you from the venue at his discretion for any reason.

•The Tournament Organizer and his assistants, and any persons helping run the event may not be held liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged goods during this event. Nor will the Tournament Organizer, the venue, its owners, affiliates, employees, members, sponsors, or volunteers be held liable or responsible for any injury or harm that may befall a person during the course of this event. By entering the venue during the posted date you are displaying your agreement with this policy.

[/collapse]
STAGE LIST

STARTER:
BATTLEFIELD
FINAL DESTINATION
LYLAT CRUISE
SMASHVILLE
YOSHI'S ISLAND (BRAWL)

COUNTERPICK:

CASTLE SIEGE
HALBERD
POKEMON STADIUM 1

- Striking order is 1-2-1.

HIT US UP!

MAIN TOURNAMENT ORGANIZER
Tech_Chase/Derek - (248) 796-1479

ASSISTANT TOURNAMENT ORGANIZER
Gifts/Kyle - (586) 713-8664

ASSISTANT TOURNAMENT ORGANIZER
Xatic/Scott - (585) 698-5341

PHOENIX SAGA STREAM TEAM MEMBER
Ori/Kalle - (248) 494-0368

PAGES YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT

Click here for the Facebook page!

ZTD | TECHnology

BY THE WAY: WE'RE AN APEX QUALIFIER

I'm proud to be an Apex Qualifier T.O. for the third year in a row! As always, placing exceedingly well at qualifier events will earn you points that will be used toward your seeding at Apex 2014. Below is a breakdown of the point distribution:

1st – 128 points
2nd – 64 points
3rd – 16 points
4th – 8 points
5th – 2 points
7th – 1 point

Roller

Smash Legend
I'll be here. Considering the venue is right across the street. L

But I thought by new format you meant like 2 bans or something.. =/
Aren't unity members allowed to try experimental stuff now? 'cause I was hoping for a tourney that would have sets similar to what I'll see at APEX, as opposed to going to rainbow every single time. (ie, rc or brin or both banned/2 bans/etc)

ZTD | TECHnology

The new format is not the Apex Stagelist. That's just something extra that I was considering throwing in since Apex would be less than a month away from this. Ironing out details and such on what I want to do. I CAN play around with things though since I can do experimental rulesets.

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
I'll probably make this. Is it alright if I run a 64 side event? One of the people I play with a lot happens to go to ann arbor so we can get a lot of my locals to come play as well.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
I'll be at this for sure unless I have an exam. I need to go through my syllabus' to make sure. Ryuts will also be at this unless he has work.

I'll also play 64 :D

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It'd be weird to see Michigan running under the custom format I talked about.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Please don't do the Apex Melee rules set, it's bad.

Oh, uh, I think I'll be here. :250:

Wait, is there no melee?

Sparta Kick

Smash Ace
I only want to go to one of the three tourneys around this date. idk which one I want to go to yet. I hope the three tourneys in three weeks doesn't kill hype/split attendance.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I only want to go to one of the three tourneys around this date. idk which one I want to go to yet. I hope the three tourneys in three weeks doesn't kill hype/split attendance.
With the MI tourneys being $5 no one should have any problems. But what 3 are all in a row?

12/10 - This
12/17 - DRDN's world (should just be a sf for those going to Hope)
12/18 - Hope 4

Sparta Kick

Smash Ace
The other tourney would be rizk's on December 3rd unless he decides to not have one until after the new year.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
The other tourney would be rizk's on December 3rd unless he decides to not have one until after the new year.
Rizzy isn't planning on a december event yet because he is unsure of his Finals schedule. So atm there are only the tourneys that I have listed.

ZTD | TECHnology

Im leaning towards no, since we need practice for Apex. At the same time, if majority rules..so be it. What are peoples' thoughts?

:phone:

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
lol, Roller I'm just going to learn MK and only practice on RC/Brinstar just for you.

also, melee??!???

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I wanted free $. It's always been my dream to win the melee event at a brawl tournament, and a brawl event at a melee tournament.

Roller

Smash Legend
oh, I don't care about mk on rc. My pika will beat any MKs on that stage, that will show up. I lost on it last time because I thought I could be silly and go mk and still beat the guy. =/

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I aint' tryna be hur all nite yo
I'm comin up to play games, manga, probbaly be all night with brawl anyway, might as well make it a melee night too. :0

Lions game being #1. Did you ask your roommate about legit tickets?

Edit: Wow, I completely suck at english today/incomplete thought. I had something involving prioritys but I missed out on it by deleting the idea and reworking it and leaving it out :(

TOPIX

Smash Apprentice
Xatic said he'd take me to this, so hopefully I'll be there. Excited for this, my first local since Gameyard II, and I haven't been to a tournament since Genesis.

Sparta Kick

Smash Ace
Xatic said he'd take me to this, so hopefully I'll be there. Excited for this, my first local since Gameyard II, and I haven't been to a tournament since Genesis.
Oh and the Snake mains come back. Hype.

Sparta Kick

Smash Ace
I don't think he's going to be banned at this, but I think it's still a possibility.

Top Bottom