• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Internet Censorship 2.0: FML

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Can you post a link describing what's in the bill? If you can't then I think this thread should be locked.

NNID
Budget_Player
Can you post a link describing what's in the bill? If you can't then I think this thread should be locked.

Well...

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h3261/text
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-h3261/show (linked to on the top link)
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/10/sopa-hollywood-finally-gets-chance-break-internet (also directly from the top link)

I actually linked to a site that had most of the information you'd need, in handy infographic form, as well as a ton of other informative links, right in the OP.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I didn't click that because about 20 times a year we hear about how the Internet is like 2 days away from being completely censored, and everyone freaks out and calls the government crazy, then nothing happens and everyone forgets about it.

Seriously this stuff is worse than end of the world predictions.

NNID
Budget_Player
I didn't click that because about 20 times a year we hear about how the Internet is like 2 days away from being completely censored, and everyone freaks out and calls the government crazy, then nothing happens and everyone forgets about it.
You know why nothing happens? It's because the bills tend to get rejected virtually universally by anyone with a clue of what's going on. To say "We shouldn't bother fighting this because it'll go away on its own" is kinda dumb.

And as for my opinion... I'm just tired of this crap. I can't wait until congress becomes internet-savvy enough to realize that this kind of law is just ****ing stupid.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I never said we shouldn't bother fighting this because it'll go away on it's own, I said nothing will happen regardless of how much people freak out because your government wont put it through. It's the people that freak out over stuff like this that fuel the fire.

Your Internet wont get censored. In 8 months time another one of these is going to appear, and everyones going to freak out, then nothing will happen. Again.

Apathy

Smash Apprentice
It's in the government's best interests to censor the Internet. Why wouldn't they repeatedly attempt to? What makes you think they're going to stop trying? If you don't think they're going to stop trying, aren't you therefore agreeing that we need to keep fighting it or lose our rights?

Pluvia, your position has no legs to stand on and is exactly how people have become enslaved by the 1%.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
The government's best interest? Do you know what kind of entity the government is? The government is not to pursue its own interests, but those of its citizens.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I never said we shouldn't bother fighting this because it'll go away on it's own, I said nothing will happen regardless of how much people freak out because your government wont put it through. It's the people that freak out over stuff like this that fuel the fire.

Your Internet wont get censored. In 8 months time another one of these is going to appear, and everyones going to freak out, then nothing will happen. Again.
That's an extremely dangerous viewpoint to take. This bill has many Congress supporters, to the point where the people who favor it are in the majority. Until we elect representatives who respect and know what the internet is, this is never going to be an impossible scenario that could never happen.

Also, how is people dissenting about this "feeding fuel to the fire" exactly? Even spreading awareness about it is helping much more than ignoring it and hoping it goes away on its own.

The more I think about it, the more your viewpoint really disgusts me.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Because apparently I'm not paranoid enough to see the truth I'll be back in a few months to check if your internet has been censored.

SPOILER WARNING:

It wont be.

:phone:

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
You are dumb.

The point is not about THIS bill. The point is that sitting complacently waiting for the government to work things out, hoping that they will work out in your favor makes you a complete tool of big government. Whether it be censorship, healthcare or anything. The attitude of "oh, the people who care about this are stupid and should just put their stock in the government's decisions" is scary and exactly the headsspace that authoritarian governments want their citizens to be in.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Yeah the argument that those people fuel the fire is, frankly, a vacuum of any and all logic. The "freak out" people, who then spread awareness to other "freak out" people, and then completely chilled out, normal people who realize it is bull****, have everything to do with why it doesn't go through. Massive backlash and outcry by the constituency is what makes a problem go away, not sitting on your hands.

I get that you're from the U.K. and therefore don't need to give a **** (neither do I because I'm Canadian) but your argument that people shouldn't be "freaking out" (aka: responding with disgust and a negative demeanor towards a stupid ****ing bill) or that they help these things continue is stupid and vacuous. Drizzle your point of view into the American population and you have a nation of people sitting on their hands not fighting the bill, which is the only way to make dumb-*** politicians realize their jobs might be in jeopardy.

Because as much as people love to bemoan the Evil Moustache-Twirling One Percent, the masses of voting public still need to be satiated for the politicians to keep their cozy jobs and for the EM-TOP to continue doing whatever it is they do to get both the politicians and the populace under their heel. Regardless of how stupid or corrupt or whatever other common flaw a politician is, they can't do any damage without a job.

So, no, people should fill out that form if they are American and don't want this to happen. Otherwise you're just burying your head in the sand for the sake of showing off what a smugly calm soothsayer you think you are.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm more annoyed about the fact that we're gonna be facing these types of bills for ... likely the rest of our lives.

Media thinks they own everything.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
damn you spelt.

Literally everytime you post, you "get me". I see the username, and I really think it's TG7. And just as my brain is starting to supernova, I remember. Damn you.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
There's so much paranoi towards the US government too I've noticed. I'd hate to live somewhere I felt I couldn't trust the people who run the country.

I mean yeah everywhere has some sort of thing they wouldn't trust, but from the US it's like a whole new level of paranoia. You lot make it sound like if you don't watch them closely you're just 1 bill away from being lined up against the wall and shot.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
damn you spelt.

Literally everytime you post, you "get me". I see the username, and I really think it's TG7. And just as my brain is starting to supernova, I remember. Damn you.
This was my plan all along, to get your brain to supernova.
:079:

There's so much paranoi towards the US government too I've noticed. I'd hate to live somewhere I felt I couldn't trust the people who run the country.

I mean yeah everywhere has some sort of thing they wouldn't trust, but from the US it's like a whole new level of paranoia. You lot make it sound like if you don't watch them closely you're just 1 bill away from being lined up against the wall and shot.

Everyone feels that way, and that's why everyone watches their government like it's janet jackson's half time show at the superbowl. 99% of the stuff on most news stations is government related, unless of course a celebrity died recently.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Well now, there are more situations at hand in the government.
If people weren't to care enough about it, who knows what will happen.

They news are already giving out ways to earn and save money due to its economic problems.

Edit--

And I'm not that bad, EE.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Sounds like you should relocate on another planet.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Everyone has something, heck I'm worrying about my country becoming independant, but could you imagine if like a hate speech law was put forward there? They'd be swinging from the rooftops screeching about the end of civilisation saying the governments gone mad.

This bill isn't going to go through, but trying to convince people is like trying to convince them that the world isn't going to end next December, it's impossible until it actually happens. Until then we have to sit through the usual paranoia because this bill is totally going to go through if we don't panic about it and the next 20 we'll get in 2012 guys.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Now we can't be in such worry. If it passes, it passes.
We can't do anything else and others would just protest and boycott maybe.

It should be stopped. But saying it's not going to happen is just a senseless prediction.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Though in the end, I'd like to think this bill will not pass, I am still fearful that the bill will get enough supporters (usually conservatives) to actually go through. Whether we believe "oh, it's not gonna pass" or not is irrelevant, as personally, I'd rather think that AND actually do something to help prevent it, rather than risk it actually passing because I had that "it won't pass" mindset without doing a thing to make sure it won't pass...

Did that make sense?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I am waiting patiently for this to go up. If it fails in Congress, I think this was a smoke screen for NDAA to pass with relatively no attention from the media.

D

Deleted member

I am waiting patiently for this to go up. If it fails in Congress, I think this was a smoke screen for NDAA to pass with relatively no attention from the media.
thats the one about detaining citizens right?

that would be insane if that was the intention.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Plausible theory though. Distract the internet with the ridiculous claim that you're going to destroy their world, and then sneak through something much worse, because people care more about their freedom to steal than their freedom not to be detained indefinately without charge.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I hope people realize that the NDAA was a $600 million of military funding bill with the detaining thing tacked on so congress could force the bill to get passed with that part in it when the bill reached the last days it could be signed. That's the only way it was passed, as a separate bill, it wouldn't have made it. Obama even rejected the bill once to try and get congress to remove that part. SOPA was not a smokescreen for that.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Plausible theory though. Distract the internet with the ridiculous claim that you're going to destroy their world, and then sneak through something much worse, because people care more about their freedom to steal than their freedom not to be detained indefinately without charge.

There's a lot of precedence for this exact thing. In order to overturn prohibition, FDR tacked its repeal as a rider on to another bill. Like:

I hope people realize that the NDAA was a $600 million of military funding bill with the detaining thing tacked on so congress could force the bill to get passed with that part in it when the bill reached the last days it could be signed. That's the only way it was passed, as a separate bill, it wouldn't have made it. Obama even rejected the bill once to try and get congress to remove that part. SOPA was not a smokescreen for that.
I call bull****. If they really needed to add detaining people without cause or trial, then the bill should have been killed. Giving the military more money, for anything at all, is also ridiculous.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I hope you (and all people) realize that Obama's administration explicitly rejected an amendment that would exclude US citizens from being detained indefinitely without due process for this bill. He originally threatened veto because he saw it as a presidential power, not something that Congress have a say in and that it didn't adhere strictly enough to the 2001 Authorization for Use of Military Force Act which is another insanely unconstitutional and fascist piece of legislature. Did you not read the statement he made when signing this bill in?

http://blogs.ajc.com/jamie-dupree-w...1/12/31/obama-defense-bill-signing-statement/

[yt]K0PdDGqK0S4[/yt]

also Obama initially proposed this idea in 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbslm1h8xjI

So, uh, yeah.

Top Bottom