• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How To Be a Better Falco (experienced players)

thebaconhawk46

Smash Rookie
Be innovative.

The lazers don't kill, so darn, looks like I'll have to SPAM TEH F-SMASH.

No. no. no. no. Thats not a good falco.

The secret, is to be innovative, the more stuff you do that no Fox main has ever seen before, The more likely you are to succeed. Welcome to the 21st century where just being a scrub no longer cuts it. All of a sudden, people are shielding your forward smashes? Reflecting your lazers? wavedashing away from your spammed dairs? WHAT IS THIS?!?!?!?

I can't stress this enough: Try something new, do something confuses the opponent. Simply doing something that you are able to counter yourself won't work and soon you find yourself plummeting off the edge in what I like to call "Helicopter-derp-mode" (F-air)

Here are some tips that give my playstyle and technique away, whether I execute them properly or not. First of all, sit down for a second and think about the game logically and the mind of the human before just jumping in and pew pew pewing. Think about natural responses and what patterns we humans fall into.
Example:

You just N-aired an enemy fox on the stage Final Destination. He was at approximately a percent which would knock him against the stage and push him towards the edge but not over. Are you picturing this? Good. Now you l-cancelled the Nair so you're up and speeding towards him shootin' the lazers. The fox is up, but of course holding down shield against the lazers, he hasnt had time to respond any other way. You're now Close:
An Average Falco would: Dair into the shield maybe it hits, starts pillaring. Meh.

An Exceptional Falco would: realize that since the Fox is close to the edge at a high percent, the fox doesnt have many options. The smart player lists the options the opponent has in his head. Probably the most likely would be a deffensive shield roll behind your oncoming attack. Now the Falco player should try to induce this response from the enemy and prepare himself to attack during frames which the fox is defenseless.
Like: shorthopping, but not doing an attack, then landing and immediately charging a F-smash in the opposite direction. This will fool the fox into shield rolling to dodge the oncoming ariel attack. But when they realize they've messed up and that no attack is coming, its already too late, pretty soon they have a metal boot in their snout and are flying straight to tuna town.

Which is where all fox mains go to die.

PLEASE! Falco players, there are more innovative and impressive ways to win. Lets figure a few out, shall we? :)

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
I see your point, but by assuming fox will roll, "exceptional" falco makes the same mistake as "average" falco who assumes fox will hold shield.

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
I think what he's trying to say is "be creative". Falco is one of the few characters that can be flashy and offensive, I guess thebaconhawk is saying that's what the difference is between a good and a great falco.

:phone:

FrenchToasts

Smash Journeyman
a guide can't really help you. you just have to put thousands of hours into this game and eventually you will be pretty good.

SuperMatt

Smash Champion
a guide can't really help you. you just have to put thousands of hours into this game and eventually you will be pretty good.
not really

you have to put in thousands of hours of quality practice where you are actively engaged in thinking and processing what is going on in-game and realizing what is good and what doesn't work

Larz

Smash Cadet
not really

you have to put in thousands of hours of quality practice where you are actively engaged in thinking and processing what is going on in-game and realizing what is good and what doesn't work
very well put, thats what i'm trying to get across

thejinftw

Smash Rookie
Be innovative.

The lazers don't kill, so darn, looks like I'll have to SPAM TEH F-SMASH.

No. no. no. no. Thats not a good falco.

The secret, is to be innovative, the more stuff you do that no Fox main has ever seen before, The more likely you are to succeed. Welcome to the 21st century where just being a scrub no longer cuts it. All of a sudden, people are shielding your forward smashes?
you can space fsmash so you can't be shield grabbed.

Top Bottom