• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rock Paper Scissors! (Edmonton, AB) - NEW LOCATION - April 27th, 2013 - Edmonton, Alberta

brningpyre

Smash Lord
Presenting Rock Paper Scissors - a series of Brawl monthlies in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Brought to you by Chaos and pyre. We also hold Smashfests at the University almost every week on the Saturday.​

There is a livestream set up at one of the TV's, and the recorded videos are uploaded onto the CanadaBrawl Youtube Channel, shortly after the tournament.
Check yourself (and others) out, and see how you did!

Old thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=259535

[collapse=Past Results]Jan. 30, 2010
Feb. 20, 2010
Mar. 27, 2010
May 1, 2010
Jun. 12, 2010
Jul. 10, 2010
Aug. 14, 2010
Sept. 11, 2010
Nov. 20, 2010
Jan. 8, 2011
Feb. 5, 2011
Mar. 19, 2011
May 1, 2011
May 28, 2011
August 13, 2011
September 17, 2011
October 15, 2011
November 26, 2011
January 21, 2012
January 28, 2012
February 25, 2012
March 10, 2012
[/collapse]

[collapse=Directions]
The Rock Paper Scissors tournament is now being held in the Central Academic Building (CAB), on the third floor (rooms 373 and 377).

CAB is much easier to find than the previous location: it's the middle building on the right of the quad (the big-ish park in the middle of campus).

[collapse=Old Directions (GSB)]
It's easiest to park at the Stadium Car Park, located right next to the General Services Building (GSB) where the tourney is held.

If you're using public transit, it's only a short walk (< 3 min.) from the University LRT station, as shown below. You'd walk along the trees (south of the Quad), turn right at the Stadium Car Park, and then it's in front, on the left.

Coming from the Student's Union Building (SUB), it's easiest to go through the Ag-Forestry building, as shown below. This is the route we generally take at lunch, to go eat in SUB.

Once you're in GSB, it's room 211 on the second floor, right next to the elevators.
[/collapse]
[/collapse]

[collapse=Schedule]
  • Venue: University of Alberta campus - GSB 211
  • Venue Fee: None
  • Entry Fee: $10/entrant singles, $20/team doubles, $5/entrant for side events
  • Pot: 60/30/10 split of entry fees
  • Schedule: (approximate)
    • 12:00 Doors open
    • 12:30 Doubles (Teams) registration begins
    • 13:00 Doubles bracket begins
    • 15:30 Singles registration begins; break for food
    • 16:00 Singles pools begins
    • 17:00 Singles bracket begins
    • 19:00 Super Event: Project M
[/collapse]

[collapse=Rules]
This tournament uses the Japanese Ruleset.

Rules
1. 3 stocks
2. 8-minute timer
3. Best-of-3 sets (WF, LF, and GF will be Best-of-5)
4. Double elimination tournament bracket
5. All items off
6. Team attack on
7. Changing controls allowed
8. Deflicker must be on the default setting

Limiting Rules/Bans
1. No using infinites for stalling purposes
2. No bugs/glitches of any kind
3. No Infinite Dimensional Cape (incidental use of IDC is tolerable)
4. Ledge grab limit of 35
5. No scrooging (player may travel under the stage only once from the ledge)
* "Traveling under the stage once from the ledge" is defined as dropping off the ledge on one side of the stage and reaching the height of the original ledge on the other side of the stage.
Exceptions to Limiting Rule/Ban 5:
When the potentially-scrooging player is attacked by the other, and takes damage.
6. No coaching whatsoever during a match, except between teammates in doubles.

Set Format
Game 1:
1. Stage-striking order and controller ports are determined by Rock-Paper-Scissors
2. Rock-Paper-Scissors loser strikes one of the three Starter stages
3. Rock-Paper-Scissors winner strikes one of the remaining two Starter stages
4. Players select their characters (players may elect to have a double-blind character selection)

Game 2 (and so on):
1. Loser may select controller port
2. Winner may ban a stage from the Starters and Counterpicks lists
3. Loser selects one of the remaining stages
4. Winner chooses character
5. Loser chooses character
6. Repeat steps 1-5 until the set is decided

Stage List
Starters | Counterpicks
Final Destination|Yoshi's Island (Brawl)​
Battlefield|Lylat Cruise​
Smashville|Pokemon Stadium 1​

Timeouts
In the event that a match goes to time, the victor will be decided by the following steps, in order:
1. Breaking the ledge grab limit (if one player exceeds 35 ledgegrabs, that player will be declared the loser).
2. Number of remaining stocks.
3. Amount of damage percent.
4. If stocks and damage percent identical, the match will be replayed on the same stage, with each player at one stock, and a 3-minute timer.

Side Event Info:
Our side event varies wildly every tourney, including everything from Low Tier Doubles to Melee Crews. The side event is usually voted on at the venue, and the most popular pick is chosen.[/collapse]

[collapse=What to bring!]
Please bring your own Gamecube controller, as spares are not always available at the tourney. Wiimotes (and nunchuks) can be used if necessary, but they must be disconnected from a Wii after you're finished, or they may interfere with matches.

We rely on the community to provide setups, so please help us out by bringing your TV/Wii so that the tournament can run smoothly. CRT displays (the big and heavy ones) only please.

We generally break for a late-lunch/early-dinner between doubles and singles. Many of us eat at one of the restaurants in the Student's Union Building (SUB), as mentioned in the directions above.
[/collapse]

If you have any questions about the rules or how this tournament is going to be run, feel free to PM me - brningpyre (Keith). My e-mail address is brningpyre@gmail.com, and my cell number is 780.292.4124 if you need to reach me sooner.

Limeee

Smash Champion
YAAAAAY NEW THREAD

Keith is setting up the wifi right now, while he waits for a video to load or something.

So if anyone wants to play tonight text me or pm me

Yoshara

Smash Lord
I agree that we need a new name, but seeing as how awful I usually am at that sort of thing, I will make no suggestions.

EDIT:
I lied:
Ultimate Rock Paper Scissors
Rock Paper Scissors: Continuum Shift (RPS CS) (adding Extend on to the end of that is an option)
Super Rock Paper Scissors: Arcade Edition: 2012
Rock Paper Scissors: Current Code
or Rock Paper Scissors: Accent Core

Yoshara

Smash Lord
Concerning non tournament smash:

I (Stephan) will be hosting Smash (Brawl and/or Melee, depending on what the Majority of people attending want) biweekly, on Fridays, unless otherwise stated.

If you want to attend, but don't have my address, PM me for it, because I don't want to put my address out there for everyone to see.

Other Games I will be running are:
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift 2 (switching to Extend once the console release it out in NA) (on 360
Guilty Gear: Accent Core (on an Arcade emulator so you can use a USB controller/Arcade Stick of your choice)
Melty Blood: Actress Again (switching to Current Code once the PC release is out) (like Guilty Gear it is being run on an emulator)
and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (360)
Like Smash, these games will most likely not be run simultaneously due to lack of space, and instead will be run based on what people want at the time.

In terms of food and drink:
For drinks I usually have a decent stock of Pepsi and other pop at home, but there is a nearby Mac's and 7-11 if you want to go there. In terms of food, there is a nearby Dairy Queen, and if I ever feel like it I might attempt to make something.

Wrote this up just in case Kieth wants to put it in the OP.

Also because I posted it right at the end of the last thread and it might have been missed, I will most likely be hosting this Friday.

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
wooo first page post!

i can't come this friday stephan, i have too much **** due next week and already have plans this weekend, so i need to reserve friday for homework

Frio

Smash Champion
Super Ultimate Cool Kind mature yahoo Brawl Club

Or short short SUCK my Brawl Club

OR U KNOW THAT GOOD NAME ALBERTA BEEF

Limeee

Smash Champion
If someone drives me there and back ill bring a wii and maybe a tv if you help me carry it out. as well as a wiimote of course ^^
brb eating supper
:009:

EDIT: call me if you can give me a ride
EDIT2: my parents are giving me a ride there around 6, can someone drive me home? otherwise i gotta leave around 9-10ish

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Is it the Sonic mod for Skyrim?
you knew?

still gotta pick Skyrim up sometime. busy playing Generations, Fate/Extra, Sonic Colors, MGS:HD Collection and now Skyward Sword. lol

--

Also, for the next time I host (how would people feel about the weekend after the tournament if I just request the weekend off?), there won't be any need for bringing TVs any more. Unless you really want to bring one more TV, but I now have 3 working TVs proper for Smash (including the new 52" DLP I have set up in my room replacing the old CRT. it is AMAZING!)

It's been a while since I've run anything, but I'd be more than happy to do it again.

Top Bottom