• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ballon Blast Matchup Thread #11 - Toon Link [Expires December 5th]

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny

Bombs away! Throw that boomerang! Arrows are great! Hookshot and stuff!.....wait....I have a sword, too?
:happysheep:

It is important that you read this! Every first post by a user in a Matchup Thread is encouraged to have at least a couple of sentences of information, alongside a ratio. Posts may not be considered for ratio and summary solidifying without these from the poster at some point in the thread, and keeping them towards the beginning helps keep discussion tidy. You have two weeks to share information that you feel is helpful in the Matchup, as well as debate with others. Compelling arguments are a must people, I expect any joking and trolls to be at a minimum.

Ideas for discussion...

-Both Characters Ground/Air Game Against Each Other-
-Moves To Avoid And How To Avoid Them-
-Diddy's Moves To Utilize In The Matchup-
-Personal Strategies To Help With The Matchup-
-Stage Discussion For Starters, Counterpicks, And Bans-

Note: This Matchup has been discussed in the past. If you wish to pull content from previous discussions that are still relevant in the current Metagame, then feel free to do so. This includes posts that are both yours and not yours.
:reverse:

Zinoto

Smash Lord
This match up is one that Diddy can easily lose if he doesn't stay focused. Ok,

-Ground Game Against Each Other-

Diddy definitely has the advantage here. His bananas play a really vital role in the MU, however, it's not always a good idea to toss them straight in front of you like normal. Toon Link is really quick and is likely never to stay on the ground, so I find it helpful to avoid his projectile shenanigans and then punish the cool down time on one of them and rack up some good damage. Also, I throw a lot of them in the air to shut down a lot of his aerial mobility. Another thing you can do is glide toss backwards throwing the banana at the ground to bait them to land on it. You have to really learn to be versatile in the air or shut him down so that you can use your aerials to lay down some hurt.

-Air Game Against Each Other-

Toon Link plays like a game of pinball, he's constantly bouncing all over the place shooting projectiles, rarely staying on the ground for too long. You have to weave through all of his projectiles (which are better than our linear banana game) and even then he can put a pretty decent fight with his sword. Once you hit him keep on the pressure. Toon Link is terrible if you get under him, so i usually juggle him with uairs once i get momentum. Since TL is almost always in the air, your aerials (primarily your fair, air, and uair) will be pretty stale so use the dsmash for the kill. Toon Link is fairly light so a fresh one will kill pretty early. TL can string together a good number of hits at low percentages so be careful how you approach him and keep moving so you don't get caught by too many projectile combos.

-Moves To Avoid And How To Avoid Them-

USMASH!!!! I swear that move has the stupidest killing potential of any usmash in the game. It comes out quick and can kill mega early. Once you get to 120+ watch for it. Also his fair (if not staled) has some pretty good killing potential as well. His can string like 5 bairs from 0% so watch for those too.

-Diddy's Moves To Utilize In The Matchup-

Your fair and bair is going to be your saving grace in this MU (aside from bananas). They're quick and can knock TL out of the air before a lot of his moves can touch you. Toon Link's attacks may be disjointed, but he lacks some range so abuse this and space the heck out of him. Throws completely rob him of his momentum, but they can be hard to get since he's constantly throwing crap at you. utilt does a pretty good job of killing of the top as well, and since he's usually in the air I'll catch him with it now and again.

-Personal Strategies To Help With The Matchup-

You are going to have a medley of projectiles at you. How you handle these projectiles will determine how well you do in the MU. If you go rushing in, 9 times out of 10 you will get owned and quick. You can't out camp him so you must find that perfect opening and just take complete control. I usually full hop throw bananas, glide toss them upward, or anything to keep TL on his toes and out of the air. Once you're on him stay on him. Try to get hit by as few of those bair strings as possible (it'll take you from 30% to 70% really easily). Since TL's grab isn't too good, you can abuse you're shield a bit more, but don't overdo it or else you'll end up feeling like you're playing a laser-spamming, melee :falcomelee:.

-Stage Discussion For Starters, Counterpicks, And Bans

Since TL loves to use projectiles, they have a lot of the same stage preferences as we do, but I like to start off on Smashville. I used to think Final Destination was slightly in our favor, but I got owned by a TL there and am starting to think otherwise. BF is ok, but I seem to have a lot more trouble there than anywhere else. If I had to choose a stage selection preference it'd be:

1. :smashville:
2. :fdb:
3. :battlefieldb:
4. :ps1:
5. :yoshisb:

You'll be amazed at how even this match-up is on just about every stage, since both characters have similar preferences. However, I recommend staying away from stages like RC or YI if the Toon Link is insanely good (RC because TL can get around a lot easier than you can and YI because it has a slightly lower ceiling).

Diddy can definitely do a number on TL, but if the TL keeps his mix-ups solid than he can just as easily return the favor.

Either even or +1 :diddy: (More like +0.5 lol). I'd lean more to the even side.

Player-1

Smash Legend
You'll be amazed at how even this match-up is on just about every stage, since both characters have similar preferences. However, I recommend staying away from stages like RC or YI if the Toon Link is insanely good (RC because TL can get around a lot easier than you can and YI bec
YI has very slightly higher ceilings...not lower. Ban brinstar before you ban RC.

Zinoto

Smash Lord
YI has very slightly higher ceilings...not lower. Ban brinstar before you ban RC.
Oh, I usually die pretty early on that stage from TL's usmash so I'd assumed that it was a bit lower. Also, I think I saw it in the BBR stage project, but I agree with banning brinstar first if you're comfortable playing on RC. A lot of the Diddy players I've seen would rather go to brinstar (maybe for the short sides to help dmsmash kill), but I definitely would ban brinstar first. YI I think still gives a little more for TL that it does for Diddy, those slope hurt our banana game and that platform eats them up, so I'd still be more inclined to avoid it.

EDIT: Watch the hookshot combos too! Hookshot --> usmash is really common.

My opinion is that this MU is even.

I've gotten worse at it, so I don't really feel like talking, but I think we have a solid counterpicking game over Diddy. I also think that this MU is ridiculously momentum based, and whoever catches fire first will control the stage and the flow of the match. TL can handle bananas just fine, and our Bair works wonders in this MU.

I like this MU.
-dip-

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
This matchup definitely isn't 50-50 wtf. Diddy has a noticeable advantage here. you can run in and shield everything TL has in safety and punish whatever he does with good banana throws and aerials.

Also, you can dash attack-grab his shield and he can't do anything about it lololololol

Gnes

Smash Master
I agree with twinkie, its even.
Felix you can't just run in and shield everything, the toon links you've been playing must be horrible. Spaced Zair is safe on our shield, just as nair and bair are if they are used retreating/rising. Toon link outcamps us, but once we get in we have alot of options on his shield because of his grab. Also toon link applications for naners are as high as ours(easy naner locks, links into kills, shield traps, etc.)

I've played literally some of the best tinks(Jash, Quivo, MJG, Shadow1pj, Hyro) and the best tink at the matchup, Jerm, is 1-1 with ADHD in mms I believe(he beat wyatt at whobo 3 in a mm 2-0). Jerm's beaten dekar solidly also. This matchup is the definition of an even matchup in brawl.

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
lee martin is the best TL. lol.

you can't run in, but it isn't hard to get close to TL and put pressure on him

QUIVO

Smash Master
This matchup is even.
Lee could very well be the best TL, but Jerm is still best at this MU.

Jet300

Smash Ace
Diddy has a advantage when TL is on the ground because, Diddy can actually use his nanas in the ground.
TL will not like to stay on the ground with diddy because that will give diddy a advantage. TL will stay in the air and zone diddy with Zairs, Bombs, Arrows, and his bommerang, He will use your nanas against you. TL's will counter pick you with FD, so i think this MU is 50/50 even.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Diddy has a advantage when TL is on the ground because, Diddy can actually use his nanas in the ground.
TL will not like to stay on the ground with diddy because that will give diddy a advantage. TL will stay in the air and zone diddy with Zairs, Bombs, Arrows, and his bommerang, He will use your nanas against you. TL's will counter pick you with FD, so i think this MU is 50/50 even.
.......when have diddys ever been afraid of FD? Thats like, vacation. We hope you FORGET to ban FD

:phone:

Zinoto

Smash Lord
I used to like FD in this mu but tinks are getting a lot better at this mu and since this is one of the few mus that I get to go there they usually have more experience on it.

Also, I saw a match of P1 vs. Billy, how so you play sheik? I keep losing to tutu -_-

:phone:

Top Bottom