• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utican Do It! - March 3rd, 2012 (Two stage bans)

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Twitter link for updates https://twitter.com/#!/UticaSmash

Hello everyone and welcome to our first official Smashboards tourney in Utica! We're hoping that this will be successful and get acceptable attendance.

We're also trying out a new rule that isn't tried at irl tournies very much at all. We'll be having TWO BANS and NO DSR. It should be interesting, and IMO should be in all rulesets.

AiB Link http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=12928

2014 Genesee Street, Utica, NY
(315) 797-0020
Map will come shortly
http://s286103223.onlinehome.us/1.html <--- They'll have a new website sometime before this tourney starts.

Food:
Food will be available to purchase there, no need for going out.

But if you want to save some money, there's a coffee shop across the street, they have some good stuff but I haven't been there in a year or so.

There's a Chinese Resturant nearby as well but I'm not a huge Chinese food fan so I don't know if there's takeout there or anything. There probably is, I'm just not 100% sure.

Further down there's a subway, an Arby's, and even further is a McDonalds.

And for the Theatre's food prices:
[collapse=Food Prices]Concessions
Popcorn: S - $3 ; M - $4 ; L - $5
Soda: S - $3 ; M - $4 ; L - $5
Pizza: $3
Slice + Small Soda - $5
Slush Puppies: S - $2 ; L - $4
Coffee, Tea, Hot Coco: $1.50
Nachos: $4 ($1.50 extra cheese)
Chili???? If you're interested let me know.

All Candy except below: $1.50
Keebler Cookies/Crackers: $1.00
Push Pops: $1.00
Ring Pops: $1.00
Airheads: 50 cents[/collapse]
There may be more combos given so people can save a bit of money for this occasion.

Pictures of the Venue and Parking
[collapse=pictures]

[/collapse]
[collapse=map]Don't park in front of Cole Muffler, that's where the X is. Only customers are allowed to park there. In the yellow is where you should park if you have a setup, it's towards the back door. If you're not bringing a setup, park in the green.

[/collapse]

Prices:
$10 Venue Fee ($5 discount if you bring a full setup)
$10 Melee Singles
$10 Brawl Singles

Payouts:
Singles:
1st - 55%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%
4th - 5%

Schedule: (subject to change)
11:00 am - Venue Opens
12:00 am - Bring Setups, Melee Sign-Ups
2:00 pm - Melee Starts
4:00 pm - Brawl Sign-Ups
5:00 pm - Brawl Starts
9:00 pm - Tourney Ends, Remove Setups

Melee Rules:

- Items off.
- 4 stock, 8 minutes.
- Team attack on.
- Ties are broken by lives then percentage. Percentage ties will replay the match with one stock and four minutes on the same stage.
- Regular sets are best of 3 matches. Winners finals, losers finals and grand finals sets are best of 5 matches.
- Controller mods are banned.
- Stalling is banned. This includes any excessive use of tactics like rising pound and wall-bombing in order to deliberately delay the match.
- No Dave's Stupid Rule, but 2 bans
- Gentleman's Clause: If the two players agree on a change in a rule, like choosing a banned stage, they are allowed to do so. If there is no agreement, standard rules apply.

Stages:

1v1 Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dreamland
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams

1v1 Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Kongo Jungle 64

Set format:

1. Blind picks: Both players select characters.
2. Stage striking: Players eliminate stages from the Neutral Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in a 1-2-2-1 order according to controller port number.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat steps 4-8 for all consecutive matches until the set is complete.

Brawl Rules:

- Meta Knight is banned.
- Items off and none.
- 3 stock, 8 minutes.
- Team attack on.
- If time runs out, if either player exceeds 50 ledge grabs, that player receives a loss. Otherwise the winner is determined by stock then percentage. Percentage ties will replay the match with one stock and four minutes on the same stage.
- If the match ends with both players dying from a suicide kill (such as by Bowser or Ganondorf), the initiator of the move is declared the victor.
- Regular sets are best of 3 matches. Winners finals, losers finals and grand finals sets are best of 5 matches.
- Stalling is banned. Stalling is defined as any action that deliberately avoids all conflict as to make the game unplayable. Running from an opponent to get to a better position is not considered stalling, but using chain grabs infinitely against a wall beyond 300% or using Sonic's Neutral B repeatedly underneath the stage is.
- Scrooging is banned. If you glide under the stage twice, you must land on the stage (not platform) before you can glide again.
- Gentleman's Clause: If the two players agree on a change in a rule, like choosing a banned stage, they are allowed to do so. If there is no agreement, standard rules apply.

Stages:

Neutrals:
Smashville
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium 1
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Castle Siege
Frigate Orpheon
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2

Setups:
Bring TVs, Wiis, and Gamecubes (preferably Wiis if you can)
Recording setups are also appreciated

If you bring a full setup, (TV + Wii or Gamecube + Brawl or Melee) you get $5 off the venue fee.

I may load my sd card through people's wiis with smash stack so I can get replays and put them on youtube for brawl. I haven't decided if I'm going to follow through with this.

1 Full Setup by bcb/PieDisliker
2-3 other setups probably going to be brought in as well, not including other gamers bringing in their own setups

Attendance
* = confirmed
** = TO host
B = Brawl
M = Melee
B/M = Both
1. bcb B/M (Depending on entrants) (PieDisliker) **
2. L-Don B (andyisjudo) **
3. Omega Tyrant B *
4. Cura B/M *
5. Beta M *
6. Cross B
7. Nintendude M *
8. Calm B *
9. Rykard M *
10. SSBMaster M *
11. Sharky B/M *
12. Dai B *
13. Stack B *
14. No_Skillz B
15. JamesG B *
16. trademark M *
17. CAC B
18. aqua B
19. Piepusher M *
20. L.B. B

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Oops, made a mistake and lost some data. Give me some time to redo the OP.

Edit: I fixed most of it, but there may be one or two mistakes in there that I missed. I had to rewrite most of it. If it's there, let me know.

Also, GET HYPED!

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
Yes
10Yesses

Also, are you leaving enough time for Brawl? 4 hours (or 3, if you let signnups go till 5) doesn't seem like a lot...

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
I think it'll be fine because we're not running doubles. If it goes a little further into 9 PM it shouldn't be much of a problem.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I am interested in coming. Is there anyone able to pick me up from the Utica bus station around 11:30 am if possible?

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
I am interested in coming. Is there anyone able to pick me up from the Utica bus station around 11:30 am if possible?
I have no idea. Maybe there's a possibility if someone like Chancellor or another local player comes, but I'm unsure on that. I'll try to get back to you.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
For the first one, at least, MK will be banned unless more players want him unbanned. I had a thought about doing a rotation and making him legal 1/3 tournies, but as of now he's banned. Most of NYS wants him banned.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Bumping this up since APEX is over. Hopefully I can get a map/pics/food prices soon.

San, you should be able to get a ride from the bus station at this. Whether it's from L-Don's parents, my parents, or the people the work at the theater, it seems managable enough. We don't know who atm, but someone will be there if you're coming.

Also, adding some names to the OP in hopes of getting a good idea of who's coming. Melee step it up!

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
If people end up showing interest, I'll try to get money and come. Otherwise I really don't want to attend because of the ruleset.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
I'll definitely come if I can get off of work. I'd essentially have to drive through troy to get there, so I could definitely grab the people there.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
I'll only unban MK if highly requested. I thought the majority of this region was pro-ban. If necessary I'll even make a poll, but IDK how everyone feels on the situation atm.

Xubble

Smash Ace
Lucky me, I'll have a month or two of practice in before this tourney. Gotta show off my D3 and Ganon SOMETIME.

And potentially a new character on my roster of secondaries. ;3

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
I'm interested.

Any chance of an N64 side event?
No chance. If we had time TEAMS would be in the schedule. If someone wants to bring a smash 64 setup for friendlies, sure. But it won't get the venue discount unless it's Melee or Brawl.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
They don't have wireless internet, and their wired internet is far from the room of the tourney.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
How extreme are the textures? I don't want to see black characters on black backgrounds that might make it unplayable. Most will be fine with me, but I've seen it to the point where it'd be unplayable.

Also if you could make it so replays don't desync on regular wiis, that would be good. Chicken MKs are a no no.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
How extreme are the textures? I don't want to see black characters on black backgrounds that might make it unplayable. Most will be fine with me, but I've seen it to the point where it'd be unplayable.

Also if you could make it so replays don't desync on regular wiis, that would be good. Chicken MKs are a no no.
Haha, the textures I have work on Wifi, so they won't desync replays (though Pokemon Trainer desyncs on Stormy Destination for whatever reason when Pokemon change occurs). I'll be sure to check the textures thoroughly for remaining possibly problematic textures and remove them.

Also, I won't be able to bring a tv with my Wii, as my tv is too big to bring with it. So if someone could bring an extra tv, that would be helpful.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Seperated setups put together only count as one setup, but you guys can split the discount if you want. It sounds silly but if one person brings two TVs, one can count for Tyrant's wii setup as well as your own. Thus even though you get 5 dollars off venue, you could get another 2.50 (or 2/3 dollars depending on the deal). It won't come from us, but you guys shouldn't have a problem working out a deal if you can.

Also, if anyone's bringing a hacked wii, PLEASE no nudity or swear words in the hax. It should be obvious but I don't want any little kid getting scarred, lol.
/obvious

Rykard

Smash Ace
you guys could always just temporarily remove the fighter and stage folders from your SD card and save them in another spot on your computer for the sake of the tournament. That way, you can get all the music and other stuff such as menu's, the ability to save replays longer the 3 minutes, etc. up and running without effecting the actual gameplay.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Is there any chance that the stage list will change? Personally don't think PS2 or Brinstar are that great even with MK gone. But that might just be me.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Id be interested in taking off RC/Brin/PS2 for the stages. Keeping it to a more balanced stage list imo.

Top Bottom