• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important tactic against Olimar in general.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
If :olimar: throws Pikmin at you and you shield, then they don't latch onto you. I'm finding that more and more people did not know this and felt like helping people gain knowledge since :olimar: is a pretty dumb character.

If they don't latch and he isn't close enough to dash grab then you can actually limit him by killing off all the blues and purples. This way he can't kill you with anything except Usmash cause only blues and purples kill you via throws.

:018:

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Don't the Pikmin still latch onto you if your shield is small though?

Plus, Olimar throws those Pikmin at a pretty fast rate... it'll be hard to find openings to put your shield down to protect it from flat out breaking.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Killing pikmin out of shield as they fly by? lol
No. As they go past your shield. You can kill them as they walk back. Then :olimar:s will probably pluck more and you can control the color scheme/order.
Don't the Pikmin still latch onto you if your shield is small though?

Plus, Olimar throws those Pikmin at a pretty fast rate... it'll be hard to find openings to put your shield down to protect it from flat out breaking.
Depends on your character and unsure if they can shield stab, but your shield shouldn't get that low in the first place if you're just trying to avoid Pikmin and both are at long range. No :olimar: is gonna side b at close range unless they know their next one is purple.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
While you're at it Seagull you should note that a ton of Nairs go through Oli's usmash, including Sonic and Fox. I know Sonic's even goes through yellows.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
If you hit Olimar's Pikmin, you beat most of his moves, and can hit him if your hitbox is good.
Also, if Olimar grabs you, you can hit him for a few frames before you actually get grabbed.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Holding up while on the ledge guarantees that you won't get stage spiked by olimar's up b

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I'm confused. You can't shield unless you are standing on something. But you're playing against Olimar. So why would attempt standing on the ground.

Head esplode.

Judo777

Smash Master
This can be summed up in a few points.
1. Olimars pikmin toss won't latch on if you shield.
2. Olimar's grab has no grab armor meaning he is vulnerable to attacks in the process of grabbing.
3. Olimar's pikmin have hurtboxes and their hitboxes disappear once they have been hit (uair has multiple hitboxes so you need to hit the pikmin once for every hitbox to beat uair, which almost no one in the cast can do). Essentially treat olimars pikmin based attacks as specials and follow the standard rules for clanking and you'll be fine.
4. If you hold up while on the ledge while Olimar up B's you don't risk getting stage spiked.
5. You can begin mashing out of grabs the moment you are grabbed by a pikmin even on their return to Olimar (what this means is you can mash out of grabs sometimes before Olimar can even throw you).
6. Olimar's pikmin can be attacked anytime they are not in his line (with the exception of when he grabs for some dumb reason).

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
lol. So would canceling your dashes with shield be an O.K thing to do. Atleast from far away.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
No. As they go past your shield. You can kill them as they walk back. Then :olimar:s will probably pluck more and you can control the color scheme/order.
nietono just gets rid of the colors he doesn't want while you waste time and just get more blues/purples....

nietono will also just wait and hit you for trying to hit your pikmin off, so committing is bad.

guy is broken. LOOOL

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Larry did really well controlling Nietono's colors though. He basically made it so that Nietono never had more than 1 purple, safe for a few short-lived exceptions.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Larry did really well controlling Nietono's colors though. He basically made it so that Nietono never had more than 1 purple, safe for a few short-lived exceptions.
he's also supposed to be the best player in the US vs olimar and he got 2-0ed... go figure xD

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
To be fair though, I think Larry could've won and mainly lost to bad decision making when recovering onstage.

Edit: Man I really feel like *** posting like this 0_0

:059:

Orion*

Smash Researcher
i definitely agree with you, i was right behind him the whole match and even after we agreed that he could have played better.

but there's nothing you can do, no johns lol.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Talked with Suinoko and he told me Larry is going to Japan, then afterwards Larry confirmed that so he better practice this time :mad:

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Because Olimar doesn't approach so if you're out of his range you don't have much to worry about.
And then Olimar feints approaches to bait you out of your shrinking shield, and varies his sideB trajectory's height smartly to catch you as you roll back/jump to avoid pikmin. If you attack them, you're pretty much putting yourself in a position for Olimar to latch some pikmin onto you.

I know about shielding them, and it's a meh strategy at best. It doesn't help you get closer to Olimar if he's in the lead, and either way, you'll eventually be baited into getting Pikmin latched on you if you've got the advantage. There's no failsafe, you just gotta be really smart when playing a good Olimar and hope that you can outsmart them with unorthodox yet effective mixups.

Top Bottom