• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UT Melee Circuit: Kawaii Love Combos on Ice ft. Darkrain, ARC, Mojo, MaxX (Mex)

UT Smash Club

Smash Cadet
The UT Smash Club presents: Kawaii Love Combos on Ice
Austin Melee Circuit Tournament
Saturday, February 25, 2012

Location: Peter T. Flawn Academic Center room 21, University of Texas Austin
This glass-wall building is off Guadalupe, directly NW of the University Tower. The room is downstairs of the main floor.

Parking
There is parking on San Jacinto and 23rd, that area. Be careful that it does
not have a sign that reads UT PERMIT REQUIRED AT ALL OTHER TIMES. There's also parking behind the Texas Museum/IMAX theater on MLK and Congress, which would be 18th and 17th streets. These are a 10 min. walk from the venue.

You can drop off any players/equipment at the venue then park.
[collapse="parking map"]
[/collapse]

Schedule

Saturday, February 25th, 2012
Doors Open/Registration Begins - 11:00 AM
Singles Registration ends - 12:00 PM (Noon)
Singles Begins - 1:00 PM
Doubles Registration Ends - 2:00 PM
Doubles Begin - 3:00 PM

Price
Venue fee - $5
Singles - $10
Doubles - $20 per team

Payout
1st = 55%
2nd = 25%
3rd = 10%
4th = 5%
5th = 2.5%

Setups
We have about 6 setups. Please bring setups! If you bring a setup your venue
fee will be waived.
*A setup consists of a CRT TV, copy of Melee, and a Gamecube or Wii with the necessary cables.

General Rules

• Items are set to off
  • The number of stock is set to 4
  • The time limit is set to 8 minutes
  • All Bracket Sets will be best of 5 matches
  • Pause is set to off
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
  • Double Elimination
  • Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR): No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players
  • Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
  • Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a stock and percentage tie, a one-stock match will be played.
  • Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.
  • Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match
  • The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned
  • Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned
  • Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: Fountain of Dreams)

Additional Rules for Double's Play

• Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON

Tournament Specific Rules

• The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
  • The Mage's DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is 5 minutes late he will receive a warning. At 8 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After 12 minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set. No pleas will be taken into consideration.
  • If there is a dispute, it must be settled before the start of the next match.
  • MikeHaze rule: No yelling or making abrupt noises at your opponent.
  • Chibo's Video-for-the-masses rule: You cannot refuse to be recorded if you pay money to enter an event.
  • No Coaching is permitted during a match.

Tournament Format
To seed a 24-man bracket, we will have first have a round of pools, specifically, 8 pools where 3 get out.
ALL POOL SETS WILL CONSIST OF THREE MATCHES. This is to help break ties and for better seeding.

Ties in pools are broken by:
1. number of sets won
2. winning percentage in games (win/loss ratio)
3. head-to-head records

Set Format (in order of procedure)

1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match
  2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 12221 order.
  3. After the first match, each player may announce one stage to be banned for the entirety of the set
  4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from the Stage List
  5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
  6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
  7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches

Singles
Stage List

Fountain of Dreams
Dream Land
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Stadium
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Doubles
Stage List

Pokemon Stadium
Dream Land
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Pokéfloats
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
Chibo's Video-for-the-masses rule: You cannot refuse to be recorded if you pay money to enter an event.
this is an idiotic rule.

i understand the concept of "you cant refuse to be recorded for the sake of everyone who enjoys watching melee"

but enforcing some fat ****ing failures rule with like no actual basis for being logical : you paid money therefor you have to be recorded

whereas you can just make it based on the venue/ (house) rules : you are using their space/ power/ setups perhaps and must abide by the rules of recording.

either way doesnt matter just the whole chibo rule blah blah pay record no brush teeth, is stupid

either way tho hype.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
*Looks at M4xX's locations* I will attend. A MEXICAN PLAYER EHHHHH!?!?!?!?!?! Also lets try and get this **** hype. Houston, SA, Crystal City, Dallas you guys coming?

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
i think the hype is kinda calm because there is gonna be a brawl tournament in the venue. either way tho we are hyped just not showing it, focusing TYS this weekend first

M4xX

Smash Cadet
Ok, its almost a fact that I'll be there. Btw, I can bring a Wii and a Melee... Can i have a venue discount or something? You know swiming across the river with the console wasnt easy...

(ok that last part isnt real...)

:phone:

AustinRC

Smash Lord
I vote for him not having to pay venue fee or at least discounted. Im confirmed btw. Let's see how good my rusty *** can do!!! Hahahaha

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
i would like to suggest adding MaxX or (Mexico players) or something of interest to the headline. i would like him/anyone who comes with him to have a good experience

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
deceiving to who though? texas players? because the idea of anyone from a different region or state is interesting to me/von/luci others because its another chance to try to throw our weight around as texans.

i mean its true he is from mexico right? a chance to test our skills vs a foreign player.

seems like an attraction to me. but if im wrong im ok with that.

M4xX

Smash Cadet
YOU DON'T KNOW MEXICO SON!! (??).

Hahaha. Thanks a lot for the discount!! <3.

And I don't feel like I'm like... Representing my country or anything, but I consider myself a good mexican smasher, and of course I'm interested on proving myself against other players. And now that I'm spendig some time in Texas I don't wanna miss this chance.

Oh and right I am mexican. I would say I'm among the most technicals fox players in my country.

Oh and btw... *shy* you guys think i could get housing from anyone at Austin for the saturday night? Maybe even friday-saturday?

And thanks again.

M4xX

Smash Cadet
Oh and Jos, sorry, couldnt answer your post on fb. I still dont got connection where I'm staying so I can only get online at wifi hotspots... So yeah.

M4xX

Smash Cadet
I'm not so sure if ill be there since friday anymore >_<. Maybe i will only be able to attend the tourny and then get back. But I'll let ya know asap. Thanks a lot again!!!

M4xX

Smash Cadet
Oh And btw, my nick is MaxX. I uses the 4 for the forum cuz my nick was already taken.

Kal

Smash Champion
**** that, Maxx. You should go by M4. Much cooler. It's like a gun or something.

M4xX

Smash Cadet
Hey... Does anyone knows how much is the bus from SA to Austin? I dont have a pc right know and the greyhound website doesnt work on my cellphone >_>.

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
dude you need to ask for a carpool.

there is a guy called tree who is driving from SA to austin for this tournament i believe, i cant remember his name but if i see him around ill tell him to contact you.

M4xX

Smash Cadet
JOS, podrias darme housing el sabado entonces? Yo creo que llego el sabado directo al lugar del torneo. Y podrias pasarme la direccion de tu casa o del lugar donde sea el housing el sabado, por favor?

Top Bottom