• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Madison tournament featuring CACTUAR"S EXPERIMENTAL RULESET Results

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Melee Singles:

1. FrootLoop
2. Orly
3. John
4. Mundungu
5. Oro
5. Sanchaz
7. Lights Out Ace
7. Zicore
9. 18 Spikes
9. SS's Unheard of Twin Brother
9. DDF
9. Monk
9. Toast

Melee Doubles:

1. Orly + Bzoo
2. John + Lights Out Ace
3. 18 Spikes + Sanchaz
4. FrootLoop + DDF
5. Mundungu + Zicore
6. Xtra + Toast

Brawl Singles:
1. DLA
2. Oro
3. Rev6
4. Xeylode
5. Zylach

Special Melee Tournament: (you all know you're jealous)
1. FrootLoop
2. Orly
3. Sanchaz
4. Mundungu
5. Lights Out Ace
5. Monk
7. Zicore
7. Rev6
9. Toast

I'm sorry to say that this ruleset is jank as hell for singles. Teams was awesome, though. There should be some vids up next week.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Yeah, it was an interesting ruleset to try out but I wouldn't use it again. Matches went by too fast and were too one-sides because of the 2 stock 3 min, IMO.

The special mode tourney was more fun than singles - for me at least. lol

:phone:

Fun tournament overall.

Sanchaz - SANCHAZ!
Lights Out Ace - Thanks for running the tournament, but ditching us for the later half :troll:
Spikes - Thanks for the door time specifics.
SS's Unheard of Twin Brother - I still didn't get your name, but nice matches.
DDF - This thursday, I want a rematch on Yoshi Story
Monk & Toast - P:M is coming along nicely. Again, it seemed to work fine timing wise, but it still feels really weird. Probably the visuals. Thanks for all the extra set-ups and stuff, really helps.
DLA - I choked.
Oro - I'll chaingrab you eventually!
Rev6 - Close matches. Snake is not the bane of your existence.
Zylach - I doubt you'll ever read this since you don't have an account, but fun matches and I want to help you with Zelda however I can.

Tomotoya

Smash Apprentice
GGs to all.

Fruitloop, I'm sorry I scrubbed so hard for us in Teams. Congratulations on winning Melee singles and the special melee side event.

Monk and Toaster- Props again for the infinite setups and streaming equipment.
You guys rock.

Xeylode- Are you seriously calling me out for a rematch of a friendlies game?!?!!?
*Thinks really hard*
Oh..... It's because I cloud-camped the **** out of you on Yoshi's 64 LOLOLOLOL.
:troll:

Oh, and Zicore- my bad for never money matching you.
I owe you $1, you crushed me in pools (well, almost everyone did).

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Thanks for the feedback guys, sorry it felt jank and such for singles, but thats why we playtest. ;)

Can't wait to see more of the vids, I watched a bit of the stream and it seemed like you guys were having fun lol.

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
1. FrootLoop - You're the man. Keep getting batter and rep WI/the midwest at a national.
2. Orly - It's always great to have Chicago come here, and your antics are much appreciated. I need more Falcon practice...
3. John - We should team again sometime. Nice performance in singles and doubles!
4. Mundungu - You put in some work - 4th in every tournament lol. That single-button melee match was hilarious.
5. Oro - Double shoutout to Chicago. Thanks for running brawl while I was busy commentating.
5. Sanchaz - The dazzle is pretty hype, SANCHAZ!!!
7. Lights Out Ace - You handsome devil, you.
7. Zicore - It was cool to see some super old-school players. The shot match in the special melee tournament was really fun.
9. 18 Spikes - Thanks for coming down to one of my little tournaments. The next one (I'm thinking April) will be with the standard ruleset and it' would be wesome if you and Zicore made another appearance.
9. SS's Unheard of Twin Brother - From the little we played you seemed to have your fundamentals down. Practice up and come again!
9. DDF - Don't go on tilt! You did a solid job in teams; don't sell yourself too short.
9. Monk - I didn't actually play you. Thanks for bringing 5(!) setups.
9. Toast - I need to learn the Sheik matchup better, you scared me that first match lol. Solid pools matches.
Xeylode - I didn't bail halfway through, all of the tournaments were over except special, which was on the top 3. And 50/50 was amazing. I regret nothing.

DLA- Ganon is too good ggs
Oro- and now i have to learn the marth MU, challenge accepted
Xeylode- Snake is the bain of my existance but Rainbow cruise exists lol
Zylach- nice zelda, I think you should start putting time in a pocket character
Lights Out Ace- tournament was awesome
Mundungu- Dat Giant Ganon lol
Zicore- monkey ball is too good
Monk/Toaster - you guys do deserve a ****ing medal for bring 5 set ups
hunger- next time we play i would like to face that wario

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
ggs everybody. tourney was hype from the moment hunger opened up NFL Blitz 2000 until the last game of special melee.

Yo ddf don't worry about it. I know you can play way better and we all have our bad days. I was hella nervous in tourneys until like.. 4 months ago.
sorry it felt jank
never apologize for jank

Mundungu

Smash Lord
This tourney was really fun, and the rule set really spiced things up. This was a good environment to test something out like that. For the record, there were no fox players in top 3, so it doesn't make that big a difference apparently.

Sam - Thanks again for running these things, its awesome to have local tournaments. I never had these back in the day, so it's nice to have them now. I can't believe I went yoshi.
Frootloop - Still beasting with falco, that's good to see. I'm surprised you didn't use him in teams (at least when we played)
ORLY - This game just wouldn't be the same without falco, falcon would be imba! Srsly though, you're surprisingly good at random stages with falcon.
Oro - Your fox is really good, definitely a lot different than WI foxes. I need to learn how to play vs that style next weekend, we should play a bunch of friendlies.
Sanchaz - You should play fox. Your recording quality turned out really well, I'm looking forward to some vids!
Zicore - It was awesome to see you again after a bunch of years! Steve jobs got nothing on you, although he far outshined your char in awesomeness. Are you still interested in going to SMYM?
Peaches_ - You should play this game again, its good. Either that, or at least stop playing Quest 64 for god sakes. This game is like the sacred, game... .. ....
.... of lore
JUICE - It was cool to meet you. Sorry about the no show on SF4, we'll have it next time. We should play games next time I'm up there.
Hunger - N64 multiplayer master. I would run an MK64 tourney in April if you guys show up again. I'd be a lot more hype for that than MKDD.
XTRA - It was awesome seeing you again too! Have you been playing? You seem to have gotten a lot better. We should have an old school smashfest / tourney one of these days! I'll try to get sauce / fast2 involved.
MonkUnit + StandardToaster - You guys are the best! I'm rarely out tved, but you guys destoyed me this weekend. It was awesome to see you running a stream too. I think this should be more standard, and I wouldn't mind doing one if you all aren't around.
Rev6 - Giant melee is just too big for me. Ganon is heavier than bowser!

Cactuar - The ruleset was really fun, and it was kind of nostalgic to play on a lot of the stages like the old days.
I think the rule set is probably better suited for teams, just because a big mistake / suicide doesn't automatically cost you the whole match (but basically still does, just like normal). I also found it a lot more interesting in teams since you can use teamwork to overcome janky stages in a lot of cases. In corneria for example, you can have one guy run in to the fin side if you're down in %, and the other one gets their back so you can't necessarily just punish your opponent for free, etc, whereas in singles, the % leader just has huge advantages all the time. Obv that's why the stages were all banned in the first place.

I might also be saying that just because I tend to have a lot more fun in teams, and take singles more seriously, but idk. Either way the ruleset is something really fun for smaller tourneys, but definitely not ready to be taken to a regional level. The two best players did win and runner-up both the singles and special mode tourneys though.

Hope to see you all at the next one in April! We still got a lot of gems left, including pancake stamina, and teams special.

FrootLoop

Smash Lord
I did use falco later in teams, I just did a bunch of friendlies with fox before teams so I was in fox mode for a bit.

Zicore

Smash Champion
This was the perfect tourney to come back out of retirement and needless to say, I had a ****ing blasty blast.

As far as the ruleset goes, I thought it was mad fun in teams, but that's because we were peach/fox and walls are tooooooo gg. It was great for nostalgia purposes, but I wouldn't play it again, especially in singles. But the stagelist was too good, except for no Great Bay. I was angry at that. That stage is legit. But I haven't been able to counterpick Onett, MK2, and Green Greens in the same set in forever. And that was awesome. Also, **** yeah flatzone.

Shouts:
Spikes - It was a hella good seeing you again. It had been far too long. Sorry you keep getting gimped in health. I hear drinking more helps. I will be seeing you again quite soon for more fun times.
Hunger - **** yeah 90's/NFL Blitz. Also, grats on the cooch.
Mundungledorf - **** yeah Corneria. I had a blasty blast at your place. Thanks for housing. Also, I will pay for teams next madison tourney :p Sorry! Also, your SNES collection is quite impressive. ****. Yes. Rock N' Roll Racing.
ORLY - Slo-mo is too good. Good games and good times. You guys are awesome. Pizza is always more important then brawl.
Oro - **** yeah MK2. Fun times in teams. IL is too good.
Sanchez - Party Falcon was toooooo much fun. Don't lose to John in bracket.
John9blue - Our set was the funnest set ive played in smash in a long time. Good stuff. Get better in peach dittos. I certainly shouldn't have won those :p
Xtra - Too legit. Good seeing you again. Always a pleasure.
Quaz - Where. The. Flying. ****. Where. You. ?.
Anyone else, since Im awful with names - Good stuff. Keep the melee scene alive and kicking. Good ****.

I will certainly show up to the next one. Hopefully we get more people without the jank ruleset.

Lonejedi sucks.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Frootloop, we have your melee disc. PM me your address so I can mail it back to you.

Monk and toaster could you describe the memory card?
It's a black official memory card with NASCAR Thunder 2003, NBA Live 2004, MVP Baseball 2004, EA Sports, NBA Live 2005, Zelda: Collector's Edition, Super Mario Strikers, and Melee.

Lightsoutace, could you please post the bracket images for each tourney? It'll help me figure out what match is what when I'm uploading.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I need the character usage and payouts for Brawl Singles. Someone fill me in when possible?

Oro?!

Smash Hero
For a 5 man Pools tourney? lol

1)DLA :ganondorf::dk2: (20$)
2)Oro?! :marth: (5$)
3)Rev6 :gw::dedede:
4)Xeylode :falco::snake:
5)Zylach :zelda:

Zicore- Nice meeting you dude. You are really chill and I hope you were serious about coming out of retirement.

Yoshis Island pipes- Thank you for being a terrible piece of **** and having those blocks in the middle that kill me when I am comboing someone.

Stages with walls- Thank you for being terrible, promoting time outs and camping or approaching from a terrible position

:foxmelee:

LightsOutAce

Smash Ace
Don't really need an image for 8 person bracket.

Round 1 winners:
Oro beats Zicore
FrootLoop beats me
Orly beats Mundungu
John beats Sanchaz

Round 1 losers:
Sanchaz beats Zicore
Mundungu beats me

Round 2 winners (winner's semis):
John beats Oro
Orly beats FrootLoop

Round 2 losers:
FrootLoop beats Sanchaz
Mundungu beats Oro

Winners finals: Orly beats John

Losers semis: FrootLoop beats Mundungu

Losers finals: FrootLoop beats John

Grand finals: FrootLoop beats Orly 2 sets

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
5 solid viewers though. Even during the special melee tourney!

I'll upload stuff from the stream throughout the week. I have 10 vids uploading right now from the VCR or DVR.

Zicore

Smash Champion
special melee was toooooo good, except the only character that is better at peach in single button is marth :(

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
it was fun to see some old smashers again, especially xtra and zicore.

shoutouts to kai mariah http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxA0L4q7hNU

ok also the ruleset was the worst, just so bad. I wanted to throw my singles pools because of how bad this ruleset was so I could go play monkey ball or nfl blitz or something.

2 stocks is just the wrong pace for this game. Gimps/mistakes now doom a game completely if you don't play a character that can easily control their opponent. As doc it was so incredibly hard for me to get control of a match because there is HUGE pressure to get a gimp in every match. In a 4 stock match, one good gimp can get me back in control of a game where I'm slightly down, but with 2, if I eat a fox upsmash at 60% and die off the top, now my back is against the wall and my enemy has all the control. Losing in that situation is devastating because all the % I get on fox now goes away, and the pressure is back on to get a gimp. Going for 1-2 gimps per game went from an ace in the hole to keep pressure off of a 4 stock game, to a "ONE MORE STOCK, THEN GIMP" situation that added pressure anytime I didn't immediately start off the match with momentum (which is often when you don't play a top tier).

From a more subjective standpoint I think it also made for really unsatisfying sets to watch or play. As a player, I found the momentum never really shifted back and forth, games were generally decided by whatever momentum I started with. As a spectator, it was just lame because whenever something cool or funny happened, the match was over. I didn't find it "silly" or "janky" it was just boring and awkward.

I also got timed out on Temple, so there's that.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Unfortunately, after downloading the stream segments from twitch it only downloads the first two hours of them. :/. I'll try to upload as many of them as I can. Sorry if any of the matches are cut off because of it. I know that the singles grand finals were cut off at the end after a few matches. :(

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
I 2-0'd everyone except oro, who I beat 3-2 (we decided to make it a best of 5, as if it was finals)

Oro 2-0'd everyone except me, who he lost to 2-3

Rev6 2-1'd Xeylode

Not sure about Zylach

hunger!

Smash Champion
rofl. ya'll actually did brawl?

T'was fun seein' you peeps again. Unless brawl gets a lil more competition here, i probably wont be headin' back to a madison tourney. this one was just good timing.

SO's to everyone. far too lazy to actually do them.

Get at me in Blitz 2000

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I keep reading about people getting timed out on temple... temple is not supposed to be playable without consent in 2 stock. What happened?

Top Bottom