• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Essential Link Techniques (and How to Practice Them)

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
MISSION STATEMENT: The goal of this thread is to compile a concise and accurate list of Link's advanced techniques. These do not have to be techniques specific to Link, they just have to be a) useful, and b) advanced. All of this information will be updated to the OP in the format:

[COLLAPSE="Up-B Edgehog"]EXAMPLE: (video/.gif)

HOW-TO: Run towards a grabbable ledge at full speed. At the last second, jump-cancel a standing up special. Link's momentum should carry him off the edge and he should grab onto it (it may help to hold the control stick away from the platform until you fall off, then toward the platform until you grab on). Can also be performed by moonwalking instead of running.

USES: Quickly edgehog someone after knocking them off the platform. Most effective when opponent attempts to sweetspot the ledge rather than land on the platform.

MATCH-UPS: Most useful vs. Fox and Falco who try to sweetspot the ledge, as the weak up-B will not hit them. Moderately useful vs. Sheik and Falcon (and Ganondorf) as it forces them to recover on the platform where they can be hit by a ledge-hop dair. Less useful vs. Marth, Peach, and ICs. Useless vs. Puff.

PRACTICE: Practice this technique vs. CPU Foxes and Falcos on any neutral stage except BF.[/COLLAPSE]Although probably all the information in here could be found elsewhere, there didn't seem to be a compiled and organized list anywhere. I personally find it very helpful to practice with a .txt document open on my computer screen with the names of all the techniques I want to practice. This thread, which attempts to pack the maximum amount of information into the minimal amount of space, is a reflection of that. Hopefully this thread will help other Links on SWF practice these advanced techniques.

This thread is NOT intended to be a guide for any general Link strategies. I'll give you the techniques, but it is ultimately up to you how you choose to use or not use them.

1. Please post suggestions for techniques I may have missed or mistakes I may have made. I know I'm not exactly the world's best Link, and I take no credit for the discovery or implementation of any of these techniques.
2. Examples of these techniques will be much more useful if they occur in actual matches. If anyone comes across a good in-match example, please post it on here and I'll try to put it on the OP. Otherwise, sometime soon I'll hop on Training Mode and post 20-second Windows Movie Maker vids of these techniques.
3. Please let me know if I get some of the names wrong or if a certain technique has more than one name (so they can all be listed under one technique). Overlaps somewhat with #1.
4. Obviously, some of these techniques are "more advanced" and/or "more essential" than others. For now, I'll try to put them in order of decreasing importance but I may ultimately decide to organize these techniques into subcategories. Please post suggestions as to what tech belongs where.
5. This overlaps somewhat with #4, but some of these techniques may be too basic or too obscure to merit posting here. Please let me know if I should remove some of these techniques, although for referencing purposes, I would much rather just create "Basic" and/or "Obscure" subcategories.
6. If some of my examples are incorrectly linked, please let me know (check out Note #2 first, tho).

NOTES:
1. I have linked the videos to times several seconds before the actual technique is performed to add some context to each technique. Yes, the technique is there (unless I really DID make a mistake), just be patient for a few seconds ;)
2. For some reason, at least on my desktop, YouTube has trouble seeking the correct time for URLs with the time built-in for long videos. Please check the last few characters of each URL (e.g. "&t=00h11m06s" corresponds to 00:11:06) and, if YouTube does not auto-seek the correct time, manually seek the time--since this is essentially the fault of my lack of time and lack of decent video-editing software, I will (eventually) attempt to fix this issue by isolating the relevant matches/sets into shorter videos.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[COLLAPSE="Up-B Out of Shield"]EXAMPLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXFH_DRXlQ0&t=11m06s

HOW-TO: While shielding, press Up on the Control Stick, then press B to perform Link's up special.

USES: Link's fastest and arguably best option out of shield. Punishes people for using laggy attacks on Link's shield or for shield-pressuring incorrectly.

MATCH-UPS: Most useful vs. Marth and Peach. Moderately useful vs. Sheik, Falcon, and ICs. Less useful vs. Fox, Falco, and Puff.

PRACTICE: Practice this technique anytime, anywhere.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Jump-Cancelled Bomb Throw"]EXAMPLE:

HOW-TO: While holding a bomb and running (or performing any other action that can be jumped out of), press X or Y to jump and immediately smash the Control Stick in the desired direction (forward, backward, up, down, or no direction) and press A or Z to throw the bomb in that direction. Identical to a standing/smash bomb throw. Also works by tapping the Control Stick upward and then in the desired direction, although this is impractical. Also works with the C-stick, but only in the upward direction.

USES: Throws the bomb forward faster and farther than the running bomb throw. Throwing a bomb backwards while running removes the need to jump and make Link potentially vulnerable in the air, on top of keeping Link's Hylian shield "active" and able to block reflected/supershielded bombs. It also makes opponents more wary about approaching, on top of looking somewhat freaky (for mindgames). Throw the bomb upward for surprise value vs. airborne opponents. Throw the bomb downward at 65% to get Link to 69%.

MATCH-UPS: Most useful vs. everyone except Fox and Falco. Moderately useful vs. Fox and Falco.

PRACTICE: Practice this technique anytime, anywhere. Use FD for a large flat surface to run on and/or Training Mode if necessary.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Up-B Edgehog"]EXAMPLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXFH_DRXlQ0&t=11m06s

HOW-TO: Run or walk towards a grabbable ledge at full speed. At the last second, jump-cancel a standing up special. Link's momentum should carry him off the edge and he should grab onto it (it may help to hold the control stick away from the platform until you fall off, then toward the platform until you grab on). Can also be performed by moonwalking for a really flashy effect.
NOTE: Walking at full speed towards ledge -> dash away -> moonwalk towards the ledge is easier that just moonwalking without walking first, because walking like that will make your moonwalk bigger.
NOTE: Wavedashing forwards and just holding the Control Stick forwards makes you instantly walk at full-speed.

USES: Quickly edgehog someone after knocking them off the platform. Most effective when opponent attempts to sweetspot the ledge rather than land on the platform.

MATCH-UPS: Most useful vs. Fox and Falco who try to sweetspot the ledge, as the weak up-B will not hit them. Moderately useful vs. Sheik and Falcon (and Ganondorf) as it forces them to recover on the platform where they can be hit by a ledge-hop dair. Less useful vs. Marth, Peach, and ICs. Useless vs. Puff.

PRACTICE: Practice this technique vs. CPU Foxes and Falcos on any neutral stage except BF.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Jab-Jab-Reverse Utilt"]EXAMPLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnSmrjMuhzY&t=00h04m40s

HOW-TO: Tap A twice, then tilt the Control Stick slightly away from the opponent to turn around, then perform an utilt. Can also be performed by tilting the Control Stick diagonally up and slightly away from opponent.

USES: Often used to shield-tap. Superior to the third jab in practically every way, as it covers more options and is harder to punish. May start juggle combos under certain conditions. An excellent mix-up and complement to the jab-jab-dsmash: reverse utilt pokes downward angled shield, dsmash pokes upward angled shield.

MATCH-UPS: Most useful vs. Falcon since it punishes all his out-of-shield options. Moderately useful vs. Peach, as well as Fox and Falco (due to the possibility of starting a juggle). Less useful vs. Sheik, ICs, and Puff. Useless vs. Marth, assuming you get that close to his shield in the first place without getting grabbed.

PRACTICE: Practice this technique anytime, anywhere.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Shield Drop"]EXAMPLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnSmrjMuhzY&t=00h34m25s
Shai Drop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLu5972oPZc

HOW-TO: When on a platform, drop through the platform and immediately LIGHTLY tap L/R to shield. Link's shield will appear for a brief instant and he will drop through the platform more quickly than usual. Modify this technique by releasing L/R after dropping through the platform and wavelanding underneath. Can also be performed by lightly, slightly tapping downward while shielding on a platform.

USES: Can be performed while running on a platform. Can aerial attack after dropping through the platform as usual. Literally replace every "normal" drop in your game with a shield drop, it's that much better.

MATCH-UPS: N/A.

PRACTICE: Practice this technique on the BF platforms, in Training Mode if necessary. Turning off the music (under Options -> Sound) can help you listen for the shield sound effect (a low-pitched "thrum" that is unmistakable if you know what it sounds like).[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Jump-Cancelled Grab"]EXAMPLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnSmrjMuhzY&t=00h04m57s

HOW-TO: While running or crouching, press X or Y to jump, then immediately (before leaving the ground) press Z. Identical to a standing/shield grab.

USES: Grab opponents after crouch-cancelling an attack. Can be useful when tech-chasing opponents (seriously, dthrow -> dash-dance -> JC regrab scares and frustrates people). Safer than a running grab because it has 10 fewer frames of ending lag.
NOTE: Although the JC grab comes out 1 frame faster than the running grab, the act of jump-cancelling can take 1-6 frames, so be sure to hit that Z button as quickly as possible, i.e., in 1 frame.
NOTE: Oftentimes there are better options out of a grab than dthrow -> dash-dance -> JC regrab, so it is only recommended to attempt at low % (<20%).

NOTE: Sheik/Puff can avoid it by ducking.

PRACTICE: Practice this technique on FD. Note that the visual difference between a running grab and a JC grab is tiny, but Link appears to slide a short distance when properly performed. If possible, get a friend to play a fast-faller like Falco and practice dthrow -> Falco techrolls -> (dash-dance ->) JC grab.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Short-Hop Bair Double-Jump"]EXAMPLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnSmrjMuhzY&t=00h35m34s

HOW-TO: Perform a short-hop and IMMEDIATELY perform a bair. The instant before Link lands from the bair, double-jump.

USES: Can follow up with any aerial move. When performed on an opponent's shield, may avoid a shield-grab and punish (e.g., with a dair).

NOTE: Sheik and Marth seem to have an easier time shieldgrabbing Link out of a SHBDJ than other characters.

PRACTICE: Practice this technique anytime, anywhere. Use Special Melee: Slo-Mo Melee or Training Mode if necessary.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Ledge-Cancel"]EXAMPLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnSmrjMuhzY&t=00h08m27s

HOW-TO: While in the air near a ledge/platform and traveling in the direction of "off" the ledge/platform, perform any aerial move. Land as close to the edge as possible. Link should land but slide off and be immediately ready to perform another action.

USES: Bypasses any ending lag from any aerial move. Can be used to string aerial moves together (usu. dair/bair/fair to nair). May also confuse opponents who are trying to recover (esp. if ledge-cancelling a dair). If facing backwards, can edgehog immediately after the ledge-cancel.

NOTE: It is more difficult to edgeguard Sheik and Marth with this technique.

PRACTICE: Practice this technique anytime, anywhere. May be more useful to practice on FoD (has platforms of variable height).[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Moonwalk"]EXAMPLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnSmrjMuhzY&t=00h48m19s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnSmrjMuhzY&t=00h42m36s

HOW-TO: Tap forward to run. IMMEDIATELY tilt the Control Stick downward, then backwards and hold. The whole process should take ~1/10 of a second.

USES: Can be used to edgehog. Can be used to confuse opponents. Jumping after a moonwalk results in a greatly increased aerial speed while traveling backwards--can achieve max air speed while traveling backwards (normally impossible) if you bair after jumping.

PRACTICE: Practice this technique anytime, anywhere.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Bomb Plant"]EXAMPLE:

HOW-TO: First, Link must be holding a bomb. There are now several ways to perform a bomb plant. In order of increasing difficulty:
1. Jump through a platform and drop the bomb when it clears the top of the platform.
2. Drop through a platform and drop the bomb just before it starts to go through the platform.
3. Ledge-hop and drop the bomb when it clears the ledge.
4. Short-hop, double-jump, fast-fall, and time a bomb release so that the bomb lands on the ground without exploding.
5. Short-hop backwards and drop the bomb during the frames of its animation where it is closest to the ground.
6. Anytime while landing on any surface, time a bomb release right before landing.

USES: Used to build up a "stockpile" of bombs (usu. while opponent is respawning) that can be quickly thrown one after another without needing any time to pull any more out. Can be used as a "mine," esp. placing a bomb on a ledge when edgehogging to cover multiple options.

PRACTICE: Practice this technique anytime, anywhere.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Up-B Recovery Interrupt (aka Down Fishin')"]EXAMPLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39V2YIE4Edk&t=00h17m45s

HOW-TO: While edgehogging an opponent who is attempting to recover near the stage, quickly drop off the ledge, fastfall to the appropriate height, and sweetspot an up-B. Attempt to lightly nick the opponent (preferably with only one hit of the up-B) rather than actively knock them away from the platform.
NOTE: Sweetspotting the up-B (you can tell you've sweetspotted when the final rotation/hit doesn't come out) is absolutely necessary for this technique because it brings Link back to the ledge in the shortest amount of time, allowing a possible follow-up or edgehog.

USES: Used to interrupt opponent's recovery (mainly fast-fallers) who will oftentimes miss their recovery after being hit by this technique because literally NO ONE sees it coming. I have literally never seen another Link attempt anything like this before (if they even drop off the ledge, they go for something like a bair or nair), and I have successfully pulled it off against some pretty legit players. This is probably the only technique on this list that I will attempt to take some sort of credit for.
NOTE: This technique is NOT very safe and NOT recommended unless you are 100% sure it will hit.

MATCH-UPS: Most useful vs. Fox and Falco. Usefulness vs. other characters unknown.

PRACTICE: Practice this technique/sweetspotting in general on any stage with a ledge. May help to practice on BF, which is probably the hardest stage to sweetspot on.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Bombdash"]EXAMPLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39V2YIE4Edk&t=00h27m56s

HOW-TO: While holding a bomb, perform a short-hop. Quickly throw the bomb and waveland in either direction.

USES: Can be used to help escape an opponent or avoid a punishment (esp. if wavelanding away). Can be used to follow up if the bomb hits (esp. if wavelanding towards).

MATCH-UPS: Most useful vs. Marth and Peach. Moderately useful vs. Sheik, Falcon, and ICs. Less useful vs. Puff. Useless vs. Fox and Falco (they will just reflect it in your face and you can't really do anything about it).

PRACTICE: Practice this technique anytime, anywhere. May be easier to practice on FD for a large, flat surface to waveland on.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Bomb-Jump"]EXAMPLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjrYLXC2p8s&t=02m23s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnSmrjMuhzY&t=00h33m32s

HOW-TO: This recovery technique can only be performed while falling in the air and holding a bomb (an easy way to set up this scenario is to double-jump and pull out a bomb during the jump). Throw the bomb upwards, then perform an up special, using the Control Stick to aim so that the bomb collides with Link's head. The bomb will explode on Link's head, knocking him forward.
NOTE: Only works with a "fresh" (i.e. not stale) up-B. The up-B becomes stale if you hit your opponent with it even once; however, it then becomes un-stale if you lose your stock or if you land 9 hits with other moves.

USES: Enables recovery from farther away than usual. However, as it turns Link around, he is no longer able to grapple recover. It is also possible to use this technique to knock Link into a wall so that he can wall-jump tech.

PRACTICE: Practice this technique in Training Mode on the bottom of Hyrule Temple. Choose a CPU Link, set his damage to about 350%, and set his controls to "Human." This allows the technique to be performed repeatedly. Practice by controlling the CPU Link.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Bomb-Tech"]EXAMPLE:

HOW-TO: While in the air near a wall and holding a bomb, throw the bomb towards the wall and immediately walljump-tech (press R all the way down, hold towards the wall on the C-stick and hold up on the Control Stick). Link will wall-jump and gain a little height.
NOTE: Link must be at high enough damage or else the bomb will not stagger him and he will be unable to tech (unsure of exact % needed).

USES: Enables recovery from lower than usual, essentially a poor man's grapple recovery. Similar to the bomb-jump, this technique turns Link around and prevents subsequent grapple recovery. Grapple recovery, when possible, is usually preferable.

PRACTICE: Practice this technique on the sides of Fountain of Dreams. It is possible to bomb-tech off of the bottom central pillar and recover with an up special.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Lightshield Ledge Reset (??)"]EXAMPLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnSmrjMuhzY&t=00h03m15s

HOW-TO: Stand as close to the edge of a platform, usu. a side platform, as possible (it may help to roll towards the edge). Buffer a light shield, e.g. by holding Z during a roll. Tilt the light shield away/off the edge.

USES: Most useful when opponent is invincible off of a respawn. Any action by the opponent other than a perfectly spaced grab will push Link off the edge and allow him to escape and "reset" the position. Can be used to "reset" the position in some other situations as well. Beware of players smart enough to just stand in front of you and wait for your shield to go down (the proper counter to this technique); check out shield dropping, specifically Shai Dropping, for an easy way to escape from this.

PRACTICE: Practice this technique on any stage with platforms.[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Pivot/Pivot Dsmash"]EXAMPLE:

HOW-TO: Perform a dash-dance. The frame after Link turns around, press down on the C-stick. Link should turn around and perform a dsmash. Holding Z after using the C-stick causes Link to charge the dsmash. Other moves are possible as well, most notably the ftilt.

USES: Can be used to tech-chase (i.e., punishing in-place techs and missed techs). Punishes poorly-spaced approaches. Can avoid some characters' grabs under certain conditions. Pivot ftilt can be used to quickly adjust spacing in order to edgeguard.

MATCH-UPS: Moderately useful vs. Fox, Falco, Peach, and Falcon. Less useful vs. Sheik, ICs, and Puff. Useless vs. Marth.

PRACTICE: Practice this technique anytime, anywhere. Use Special Melee: Slo-Mo Melee if necessary.[/COLLAPSE]

Last edited:

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
Up b OOS?
I would say that that's far more important than any of the above mentioned. It's kinda a cornerstone of Link's OOS options.
You can JC anything where up is the input. There are JC U smashes, and JC up bs as well.
Full jump->nair->double jump->whatever is pretty dang useful too.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
Up b OOS?
I would say that that's far more important than any of the above mentioned. It's kinda a cornerstone of Link's OOS options.
You can JC anything where up is the input. There are JC U smashes, and JC up bs as well.
Full jump->nair->double jump->whatever is pretty dang useful too.
I don't generally consider JC-(fill in blank) to be very "advanced." I only put in the JC grab because it requires knowledge of Link's frame data before you can tell the difference between it and the running grab.

I suppose I'll put in UpB oos after homework on account of it being "useful," but I think I'll hold off on the others for now. Not gonna lie, "useful" is an understatement for full jump -> nair -> dj, which comprises 30% of my game, but it's just not "advanced" imo. I feel like if I start putting in moves that you can find in the game manual then the list would be topped by "Throwing ****," which comprises 60% of my game -.-' I guess people (including me) have biases when it comes to evaluating "useful" and "advanced," but I can't see myself spending my limited daily access to Melee practicing upB oos, much less full jump -> nair -> dj.

SYickX

Smash Cadet
Moonwalk Ledge Canceled Up-b
Face away from the ledge or platform edge and moonwalk so that link moves toward that ledge
Up-b when link is close to the edge and he will grab the ledge or fall from the platform (i feel this is easier than just running to the edge, and can be a nice mixup in your edge game)

Ledge Canceled Up-b is possible during link's walk
Practice anywhere

LHWDBP (i think this is also known as "Skler-ing")
Ledge-hop wavedash bomb-pull
Drop from the ledge, second jump on-stage, WD off, second jump asap, immediately pull a bomb

this automatically re-grabs the ledge, and you can actually land on the platform on Yoshi's Story if you're quick enough

this technique should be use sparingly as it can lead to a dreadful SD if performed incorrectly and it gives up a stock if your opponent is being aggressive while you're hanging

use it as a mix-up to get a bomb, then getting back on is way easier
Practice anywhere, but remember that Yoshi's is different

Hookshot Drop
example: Watch HDL after the 6 minute mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZcov97AY94
Airdodge, fastfall hookshoot

the timing on this one takes a few tries to get down, but its nice to have in your recovery tool-box
Practice on Battlefield for precision

Hookshot-jump

not technically advanced, just not well known

wiggle/bair out of tumble, airdodge, hookshot, hookshot jump, second jump

this will throw off a good few would-be edgeguards, you can DI away on the HSJ then pop on-stange with a nair
it's saved me oodles of times, especially on Yoshi's and FoD
Practice anywhere the hookshot works

SYickX

Smash Cadet
IASA Boomerang Catch

Throw the boomerang, catch the boomerang so the catch animation occurs*, input dash/special/jump/sheild

the most interesting application of this is the ability to do one "dashdance" not immediately after dashing
ie while running, catch, immediately dash the other direction
it can be useful for turning around to edgeguard with bair/nair (facing the stage is often better because you can hookshot back on)

i haven't had much of a chance to use this, so much of its utility is up to experimentation

*the catch animation occurs while standing, ducking, walking, dashing, falling

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
IASA Boomerang Catch

Throw the boomerang, catch the boomerang so the catch animation occurs*, input dash/special/jump/sheild

the most interesting application of this is the ability to do one "dashdance" not immediately after dashing
ie while running, catch, immediately dash the other direction
it can be useful for turning around to edgeguard with bair/nair (facing the stage is often better because you can hookshot back on)

i haven't had much of a chance to use this, so much of its utility is up to experimentation

*the catch animation occurs while standing, ducking, walking, dashing, falling
I have never been in a situation where the catch animation actually helped me. It usually gets me destroyed because I NEVER mean for it to happen and end up catching instead of, like, upB. I'll have to check the frame data, but I suspect that just CCing is faster than catching the boomerang and has the same effect, especially if you factor in that it doesn't require you to throw the boomerang beforehand, the only difference being that CCing doesn't look trippy. I guess if they maybe think the catch animation is going to mess you up and try to come in?

tl;dr This may be useful for mindgames, but that's about it imo.

As for your other techniques, I'll add on that upB edgehog is possible out of a walk, and at some point I'll add on the fastfall-hookshot (I'm pretty sure that fastfall out of airdodge has different timing depending on if you airdodged at an upward angle or not, someone check that for me). I guess I'll add Skler-ing to the list, but ... man, the risk vs. reward for that is sooo dumb, because if they're too far from the ledge to tap you off, then you don't need the bomb to help you get up, you can just stand up. Mindgames, and that's about it.

SYickX

Smash Cadet
you can cancel the boomerang animation on frame 1, and it doesn't require any button input
i would mainly use it to turn around while running to the edge (maybe after an up-b on the left side of the stage sending the opponent to the right side)
i also didn't test the boomerang catch on all versions

i see your point about Skler-ing

thanks for the feedback

Skler

Smash Master
Skler-ing was made primarily as a joke because I was practicing Samus one day and wondered if Link could re-grab the edge after any of his B moves. Then I decided I wanted something named after me so why not lolol. I really wish boomerang canceled hookshot was in all versions of the game so I could have slapped my name on THAT instead :p

I think I've used Skler-ing in tournament twice or something (haven't gotten punished for it, but I acknowledge it is dangerous).

It's dangerous in the same way that dropping from the edge, double jumping, pulling a bomb, and then upBing back to the edge is dangerous. You can get insta-gibbed (though Skler-ing is less likely to get you insta-gibbed than the aforementioned double jump bomb pull upB since you still have your full recovery available to you; they can't just hop on the edge and watch you die), but if you aren't killed immediately you will be at an advantage for your return.

I wouldn't suggest doing either thing often, especially against Marth, Falcon, Sheik, or Fox. Anyone who can edgehog quickly, or reliably edgeguard against Link's upB, will crush you if they react quickly enough. Peach is also incredibly effective against the DJ bomb pull upB, but terrible against Skler-ing because she can't just run to the edge and dsmash you in time if she's staying out of range of your edge hopped fair. Most characters give Link some space on the edge because of the range of edge hop fair, otherwise any bomb pull that ends with you on the edge would be a free stock.

Remember I said this somewhere before but I think it is worth repeating and that it actually might belong here better than anywhere I might have posted it before.

I wanna say sheild drops might get more essential. Practiced them a lot and they feel great vs falcos dair shine pressure whenever I get it off (which still sadly is a tad clunky, but even with that clunkyness it has a positive effect on the matchup). So add in falco there as matchup.

Once we all sheild drop at all possible occasions we should start platform cancel our sheild drops. Which I can't see in the OP anywhere. Kinda can see it getting essential as it gives link a better pressure game.

Also, is it possible to waveland a SH rising bair?

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
I wanna say sheild drops might get more essential. Practiced them a lot and they feel great vs falcos dair shine pressure whenever I get it off (which still sadly is a tad clunky, but even with that clunkyness it has a positive effect on the matchup). So add in falco there as matchup.

Once we all sheild drop at all possible occasions we should start platform cancel our sheild drops. Which I can't see in the OP anywhere. Kinda can see it getting essential as it gives link a better pressure game.
Shield dropping will undoubtedly get more important, there is no downside to it and soon everyone will be using it. Prob more essential to learn to fastfall after shield drop than platform cancel after shield drop, which I'm not sure is even possible, since the whole point of the shield drop is that it gets you below the platform much faster (unless I'm thinking of a different plat cancel).

Perfect land is something that might also become useful. Perfect land is when you jump onto or through a platform and land right at the peak of your jump, i.e. on the first possible frame (so no falling frames). I'm already using it with Falcon, and you should see the look on people's faces when I perfect land, buffer a turn around, and then grab or ftilt them right out of their rolling behind me.

Also, if it hasn't already been done, someone should start experimenting with walking as Link instead of running. I swear, the Triforce of Courage walks basically as fast as he runs (ok ... it's a little slower), difference being that running Link can only dash attack or jump and walking Link can do anything, including turning around laglessly. Buffering a full-speed walk out of a forward wd may be faster than just walking from neutral and accelerating to full speed. Just a thought ...

Also, is it possible to waveland a SH rising bair?
Yes. Air dodge (and thus, waveland) is just as fast or faster than dj, so anytime a dj before landing is possible, wavelanding is also possible.

Also, someone may want to just take over this thread from me. I rarely have time to go on SWF these days, and anyways I don't really play Link in tourney anymore.

When I say platform cancel I mean the special properties of nair and uair that lets you stay on a platform IF it hits during the first few frames of a drop, I know the term sometimes are used for slip-offs too but that's not what I mean here.

I happen to do small walks every now and then to respace myself when on the attack, mostly forward when a wavedash is too long but I lack a little range to get a jab in on a suspected sheild.

Walking away can be used as a mindgame to lure them in which you can punish with a bomb to their face, a fsmash, utilt or bair, it's not at all that revealing cause if they don't attack you can start make a retreating a rang or bomb pull, but it comes down to reads and reactions and is not safe standard play. This is more useful when neither has momentum as it will tilt it either direction(if you fail the momentum it's theirs, if you are successful it's yours).

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
When I say platform cancel I mean the special properties of nair and uair that lets you stay on a platform IF it hits during the first few frames of a drop, I know the term sometimes are used for slip-offs too but that's not what I mean here.
That's the plat cancel I was thinking of. The reason I say it might not work after a shield drop is because the only reason plat cancel works at all is that Link is still above the platform when the hit connects and thus he can land on it again. But shield drop brings you below the platform faster than normal drop--that's the main reason shield drops are good in the first place--meaning that even if you are just as quick with the nair, you'll be lower (possibly below the plat) when the hit comes out. Plat cancel nair may still be possible out of a shield drop just because of how high Link brings his feet up, but I seriously doubt uairs can be plat canceled out of shield drop. If you are confident in your plat canceling, you should just plat cancel out of regular drop because the hit won't come out any faster with a shield drop, and landing on the platform again it will either be impossible or at least much harder out of a shield drop.

Ah I see, thats too bad then.

I want to shield drop cause it is an OoS-option, that's the main reason I try use it right now, cause I tend to end up on a platform whenever I'm on the defensive, this means should be able to get out a shield drop attack whenever I'm pressured, just as easily as UpB OoS, but with much better risk:reward ratio.

Actually what I'm really trying to do is to always make the zoning game vertical, i.e. you try to be below or above your opponent at all times, I feel like this is the actual thing link excels at, but it also forces you to be good some very different things.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
Shield drop nair/uair is a fantastic option oos, it gets you out of danger fast and hits them if you space right. Personally, I've never liked the idea of plat canceling bc L-canceling in my opponent's face if they shield or CC usually gets me grabbed or worse, it's kind of one of those "it only works when it works" options.

If you're playing for vert zoning, a shield drop nair/uair may even be preferable to plat cancel nair (assuming shield drop plat cancel nairs are even possible) bc then you are below them and get to play the tech-chase and juggle game w more uairs.

[COLLAPSE="Tips for Newer Links"]I def agree w Lootic that Link is best when he's below the opponent, but it takes some crit thinking to take full advantage of that, ex: pulling a bomb instead of going for another uair once they can dj away from the uair. It seems like you're giving up the juggle, but you're actually giving yourself a better chance of extending the juggle game bc bomb throw is a low lag move that can control their movement. Best case scenario: you hit them with the bomb and combo into uair (or another aerial). Medium case scenario: you control their DI (possibly force them to burn their dj) to avoid the bomb and then they have fewer options to escape the uair if you decide to go for it now. Worst case scenario: you get a free bomb. Whereas going for the immediate uair makes it easy for them to fake you out since Link's good air speed and unbeatable uair doesn't always make up for his terrible jumps and high lag.[/COLLAPSE]

p-cancel(platform cancel) nairs can be used as sheild pressure if you go, drop-> l-cancel p-cancel nair. The amount of frames the opponent can do anything if perfected are very few and that's why it would be useful vs shield.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Air dodge to edge. Does anyone even know about this? I've been using it for years.

Here's how it works:
When you hookshot too close to a wall, Link immediately breaks into his falling animation and the hookshot fails. This usually causes you to die.
In another case, when you air dodge right at the edge, Link is in his "falling out of air dodge" animation for too long to grab the edge.
If, at this moment, you use your hookshot, Link will break out of his air dodge, fail to hookshot the ledge because he is too close, but then grab the edge because he is not trapped in an animation any more.

I remember I posted it on these forums years ago but the general response was "if it were good, pros would use it". Well, give it a shot yourself before dismissing it.

I also wanted to point out that if you miss the sweet spot (hookshot would go over the edge), you can fast fall at the end of the air dodge and you still have quite a bit of time to throw your hookshot out. This is useful on something like FD since the stage's shape allows you to get away from the wall to hookshot. It could also be considered a separate technique because you can use it to "suicidally" air dodge an attack as you are recovering, and then fast fall down to where you can hook shot the stage.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Well, you can't blame people for hating on it because it sounds like a free hit from safely on the stage if they time it right 8\
Ya that's kind of what people said before. You have to know when to use it. It's the fastest way to get the edge if you are in range, so you can use it to steal the edge from someone (very easy to know if you can steal it from shiek because she is slow). You can also use it to air dodge a shine spike or something and then get the edge after. The key points about it are that you can evade an attack and then quickly get to the edge. You shouldn't use it over sweet-spot hook shot or regular recovery in all cases; it's just another option, and I find it very useful.

SYickX

Smash Cadet
You can also use it in a "o crap I made a mistake" situation like missing a wavedash to the edge.
IE does this really trippy thing where he interrupts his airdodge with zair while hugging a wall to make Link rise to the ledge. It's almost like a wavedash against a wall (but Link is helpless during it).

SAUS

Smash Ace
You can also use it in a "o crap I made a mistake" situation like missing a wavedash to the edge.
IE does this really trippy thing where he interrupts his airdodge with zair while hugging a wall to make Link rise to the ledge. It's almost like a wavedash against a wall (but Link is helpless during it).
That might be like what you can do with samus only link won't fly up as much. This is basically what I am talking about, but I'd have to see it in action to make sure.

SYickX

Smash Cadet
The Link version of that technique doesn't allow as much variability as with Samus. It's more a mix-up/mindgame rather than an additional recovery staple.

I think you know what I'm referencing.

ZotR

Smash Rookie
Bomb Tech Rolling -
At around 40% you can c-stick throw a bomb into the ground at your feet and tech while rolling the control stick toward the desired direction.

It is an extremely fast means of spacing for Link. You can Up-B out of the roll so it can be used to get in place to edgeguard from across the stage or provide a safer approach to deliver a killing move without having to combo into it(if the percentage is high enough). Also if used close enough to the opponent, it can damage them as well providing further disruption or even set up a potential combo.

TechMage299

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TechMage299
3DS FC
3497-1921-5527
So if I hit someone with an up-b, I can't do the bomb jump recovery for that stock until I die?

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
So if I hit someone with an up-b, I can't do the bomb jump recovery for that stock until I die?
Yes. Landing any move on someone stales (slightly weakens) that move, until some limit (maybe ~85% of original power) at which point the move will no longer weaken and is considered "stale." This is meant to discourage spamming. The move will reset to original power at the beginning of the next stock.

It affects the bomb jump recovery because the bomb won't explode unless it is hit by a move of a certain power (little hits won't add up). Unstaled upB is just barely powerful enough to break the bomb, but staling it even once makes it too weak. So, bomb jump recovery fails if you hit the opponent with the upB first.

This shouldn't really affect gameplay if you don't rely to much on the upB. It's predictable and very easy to punish. IMO, it should only be used when you know it will KO.

It seems I was wrong, see below ...

Last edited:

SAUS

Smash Ace
Yes. Landing any move on someone stales (slightly weakens) that move, until some limit (maybe ~85% of original power) at which point the move will no longer weaken and is considered "stale." This is meant to discourage spamming. The move will reset to original power at the beginning of the next stock.

It affects the bomb jump recovery because the bomb won't explode unless it is hit by a move of a certain power (little hits won't add up). Unstaled upB is just barely powerful enough to break the bomb, but staling it even once makes it too weak. So, bomb jump recovery fails if you hit the opponent with the upB first.

This shouldn't really affect gameplay if you don't rely to much on the upB. It's predictable and very easy to punish. IMO, it should only be used when you know it will KO.
There are 9 stale move "slots". Every time you hit someone with a move, that move goes into your stale move list, pushing out the oldest one. Any move can be in there multiple times. For each time the move is in the list, it deals 5% less damage than normal, so it caps at 45% reduced damage (the attack does 55% of normal damage - just above half). The list starts empty and also empties when you lose a stock.

I believe the damage that the last hit of the up-b is THE threshold required to blow up the bomb (I think it is 6%, but not exactly sure on this number), so if your up-B hit within the last 9 moves you hit with, then it will do too little damage to break the bomb.

You can essentially reset your up-b by hitting the opponent with any other combination of moves 9 times, but that's not exactly an easy task, nor is it easy to keep track of. Also, if you hit them 9 times, you are probably winning anyway and don't even care about your recovery.

bagsntrane

Smash Cadet
my understanding was that even if you move the up out your stale queue, the up b is still not powerful enough to cause the bomb to explode

SAUS

Smash Ace
my understanding was that even if you move the up out your stale queue, the up b is still not powerful enough to cause the bomb to explode
That might be the case. I will experiment and try it out next time I have some free time. Might be tonight. I will post here again when I find out.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
Just tested it and SAUS is correct. If you hit them with the upB, you can break the bomb with upB IF you use at least 9 other moves in between. Updating OP ...

SYickX

Smash Cadet
I've been avoiding spin as much as possible and I've been hitting bomb jumps way more often. For my play-style, if I spin 4 times in a stock, I probably can't bomb jump.

Keeping track of just your spins will give you a good approximation of how likely you will break the bomb. I've also almost completely stopped spin canceling.

Top Bottom