• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kawaii Love Combos on Ice - February 25th - Austin TX

UT Smash Club

Smash Cadet
Singles

1: Darkrain ($148.50)
2: Mojo ($67.50)
3: Arc ($27.00)
4: The 13 ($13.50)
5: Tirno ($6.75)
5: Kal ($6.75)
7: MaxX
7: FKO|BanTears
9: GarrR
9: MT
9: Reqy
9: Sybawave
13: Pawl
13: Lalo
13: GlibbyGlobby
13: RedShadow
17: C
17: Velox
17: Kyle
17: Jessie
17: Denti
17: KoN!
17: Wzrd
17: Vash
25: McNutty
25: Rawr
25: Nateychan
25: Biffle

[collapse="Bracket"]
[/collapse]

Doubles

1: Team MT (MT + JF) ($70.00)
2: EdgArc (Tirno + Arc) ($20.00)
3: pup n' suds (JakeXIII + Mojo) ($10.00)
4: Blue Pawlz (Pawl + Sybawave)
5: The Murph Bros. (Connor + Pearce)

[collapse="Round Robin"]
[/collapse]

Kal

Smash Champion
A couple of things we need to get out of the way:

1) Can I get some feedback from players on how they felt about the event? I am of the opinion that the benefit of several hours of friendlies post-tournament hugely outweighed the benefit of any extra matches you would have gotten to play if we had run pools and taken quite a bit longer. However, any opinions at all are more than welcome.

2) In general, we don't create rules about rigging brackets because they are, even under ideal circumstances, totally unenforceable. However, rigging brackets is very much discouraged, because it skews results unnaturally and is very disrespectful to the remaining players. In future events, I urge people to remember that they enter singles individually, not in groups, and so they should always play to maximize their individual placing in the tournament, not to try and artificially ensure that their group averages a higher placing.

Now for Shoutouts:

Mojo - Good job getting second place. Your Fox is amazing.

The 13 - Tirno and Kal both get knocked out by both Jake and Oscar.

Tirno - Generic shoutout about how good your Falco is and how you'll do better next time.

MaxX - Muchas gracias por venir a Austin. Tienes un Fox muy buena.

FKO|BanTears - Good job beating Reqy and GlibbyGlobby.

GarrR - Beating Paul for the win. Thanks for setting up the stream after José's crashed, by the way. <3

MT - How many chicken nuggets worth did you win from Doubles and that money match with Mojo?

Sybawave - Falcon awkward! Your edge game is really sick Von.

Pawl - Your Ganon is awesome. Those ledge grabs at the end of the final two matches felt so dirty.

Lalo - We did a good job at this tournament, though I think we should be stricter about disqualifying people.

GlibbyGlobby - Sorry about your loss to JF. His Jigglypuff is pretty ****ing good though, so don't let it get you down.

Velox - Good seeing you again man.

Kyle - pew pew

Wzrd - perfectengrish is a way better name

Vash - Three hours drive to and from Austin was fun. Next time I'll play music from West Side Story the whole time and see if you don't hate me after we arrive.

Rawr - Come to more events! You never practice with us. :(

Nateychan - Thanks for bringing the setup. Sorry we didn't get to use it. It's too bad you had to leave early. I would've liked to get some matches in.

VASH

Smash Cadet
1: Darkrain ($148.50)- Thanks for showing up to the tourney, come take our money more often!
2: Mojo ($67.50)- good job beating ARC, you're getting better and better hopefully you can go to a national soon and show the community what texas is made of
3: Arc ($27.00)- nice meeting you Austin you're mad funny and your marth is too good
4: The 13 ($13.50)- wow taking out Austins best is a huge accomplishment keep it up!
5: Tirno ($6.75)- Hey Edgar
5: Kal ($6.75)- Good **** Kal went all fox this tourney and resisted the urge to use marth, your fox will get better and you might start winning some of these tournaments if you practice enough. At the end of the ride i didnt want to get out LOL i wanted to talk about poker some more but whatever we are have to play one of these days!
7: MaxX- Que bueno que viniste a jugar espero verte otra vez, y la proxima vez que venga todo mexico a quitarnos el dinero :)
7: FKO|BanTears- you played so well at the tournament matt youre falco is awesome and thanks for ****** me in friendlies
9: GarrR- Good stuff beating pawl man that set was crazy! hope to see you soon
9: MT- Thanks for housing us! Also your marth has gotten so much better, im expecting to see great things from you soon
9: Reqy- we still need to play :(
9: Sybawave- Thanks for ****** me in friendlies Von, i need to get better and you're gonna help me, i know it sucks to lose but grow from it.
13: Pawl- Nice to meet you and Michelle, your gannon is CRAZZY come to tournaments more often!
13: Lalo- i missed you man, thanks for playing friendlies with me, hope to see you soon
13: GlibbyGlobby- good stuff beating me LOL you need to learn the puff match up! i know its hard but maybe ask JF to play you puff in friendlies
13: RedShadow- good stuff man
17: C- :)
17: Velox-Nice seeing you again man, wish i had gotten to play you but theres always next time
17: Kyle- :)
17: Jessie- :)
17: Denti- :)
17: KoN!- :)
17: Wzrd- nice seeing you again man, it looks like youve gotten alot better your bracket was just super tough but i know youll learn from it!
17: Vash- :awesome:
25: McNutty- :)
25: Rawr-:)
25: Nateychan- youre a lot better than the last time i played you keep it up nathan!
25: Biffle- :)

nateychan

Smash Rookie
Yeah I really would have liked to play you Kal, coulda learned a lot from you haha.

Thanks Vash! Also, sorry if I should know this, but who are you IRL? Kevin by chance?

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
A couple of things we need to get out of the way:

1) Can I get some feedback from players on how they felt about the event? I am of the opinion that the several hours of friendlies post-tournament hugely outweighed any extra matches you would have gotten to play if we had run pools and taken quite a bit longer. However, any opinions at all are more than welcome.
I agree. I never saw the point of pools unless it's a really big turnout. I'd rather get 0-2 in a bracket than play in a pool and know its hopeless after losing 2 sets or getting a death pool.

What's the fun of a pool when you realize there's a point where winning the rest of your matches is moot?

Admiral!

Smash Apprentice
I agree. I never saw the point of pools unless it's a really big turnout. I'd rather get 0-2 in a bracket than play in a pool and know its hopeless after losing 2 sets or getting a death pool.

What's the fun of a pool when you realize there's a point where winning the rest of your matches is moot?
I wasn't there but I agree with this guy completely.

Kal

Smash Champion
Ok, so it's agreed:

No pools
Singles first
Final Destination

kailo34ce

Smash Lord

money match me. 20 dollars. 3/5

darkatma

Smash Hero
Friendlies after a tourney are good, but having pools helps people play against others in a tournament environment. If you aren't in the tourney for improvement, then losing matches in pools vs playing friendlies afterwards wont matter anyways, because you have the wrong mindset.

I'm not saying tournies are meant solely for improvment, but having tournament experience is arguably more important than friendlies.

Kal

Smash Champion
I don't think pools are the appropriate way to go about getting this tournament experience, especially since contrived pools will involve most players playing worse anyway. You get tournament experience either way, but you'll get legitimate practice against a strong variety by having spare time after a tournament.

In other words, if I am in a pool and get facerolled and that's the end of it, I don't think I will leave better off than if I had a few hours post-tournament to go and find the players who facerolled me and get some friendlies in. Those friendlies seem infinitely more beneficial to me, especially at relevant levels of skill, than a few sets, especially when those sets are less likely to be taken seriously if pools are forced on a small tournament.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
everybody seemed happy with the notion of skipping pools altogether since we didn't get enough attendance. i mostly wanted pools to help seed, give me as perfect number of people for a bracket, and letting people play with the pressure of being in a tournament. these are reasons independent of having pools to get better, and arguing for pools in that regard i think is kinda moot. personally, i think i get better playing regardless of the setting. but it's whatever.

shoutouts!
kal for helping me run the tournament, carrying TVs, protecting money, being trustworthy and overall a respectable guy even if he gets trolled by Qpac on the stream. 5th place is really good, and maybe your marth woulda done better, but if you get the hang of playing fox as smart as you play marth, then it'll level up like crazy.
MT for helping me move TVs without needing much coaxing, housing every single ****ing person, having smashfests and playing mario kart and falcon friendlies with items. this time reqy graped your marth, but you got his number next time (use fox bro).
garrR for aiding me in setting up a stream once my computer crashed. thanks for allowing us to have videos of the tournament and stuff for everybody to see. good **** beating paul, that was intense and i probably woulda choked had i been in that situation (or maybe i woulda 4stocked him every match!). i'm gonna start putting you in my bracket path again to see who the real sheik main is!
Tirno for having lotsa equipment and having numerous TVs for setups. this time around you fell a little short, even though you had 5th place. you choked man, 3-stocking jake the third match then falling 3-1. maybe you were playing overconfident. you got him next time. you came really close to beating mojo, good ****.
Wzrd for putting fliers on campus, also moving TVs, and being hype as **** in general. you had syba that one match, but you choked! oh man you need more tourney experience to not let nerves get to you.

mojo - thanks for the friendlies and ****** me soooooo hard. you're definitely playing like 2 steps ahead of me the whole time. you had darkrain in a couple of matches but you were messing up a couple of edgeguards since you maybe thought darkrain was gonna do something unorthodox or maybe you just ****ed up. anyways, i expect you to defend Texas somewhere.
Jake - i played a little bit with you, and goddamn. while your falco is not all that fast, i got thoroughly graped. good ****.
velox - dude just choose one main and stick with it. also, our match was full of fail on both ends, suicides errwhere.
vash - it was really nice to see you. you've indeed gotten better, and i feel like you were practicing your techskill in a few of our matches. i don't think you're that kinda player tbh. but don't mind me, i don't know smash.
sybawave - i didn't play you this time around, but i heard you were going kirby and getting scraped. wtf. just play your mainchicken and win. heard you beat MT so good ****
C - holy crap dude you got tons better. good luck in waco and i hope to see you again. i don't know how you practice, but you're improving really well.
glibbyglobby - thanks for coming. why you go marth? get *****. unless i was the one getting *****, i don't remember. it's really good tho. we should play more to level up. your move choice is weird, but you always come out ahead wtf.
JF - at last you finally go jigglypuff and look where that got you. you shoulda done that earlier.
AustinRC - great job beating mojo the first time but then falling to him. practice moar and protect Austin from Houston plz. also, were you sandbagging me on our match? I was getting some cool little combos that weren't streamed 'cause my computer had already crashed. ****.
paul - man your ganon is beast but i'm happy we went pretty even. what happened to your fox? you just went ganon in friendlies. falcon dittos at MT's was amazing but i shoulda been a little tipsy as well.
redshadow - man i didn't even play you this time around. lame!
reqy - you won't read this. dress better.
maxX - que bueno que viniste. tu ingles no esta nada mal. que pensaste de nosotros?
jessie - holy crap you almost took me out. my marth was utterly *****. good ****. best girl smasher in texas, maybe. emily's getting pretty good perhaps. maybe not.
denti - good **** in brawl. whoever you lost to, make 'em pay next tourney.
nateychan - thanks for showing up, i thought you didn't want to play wi0th us anymore. i think our relationship is finally rekindled.
rawr - wtf rawr i don't know how much you like this game. you don't go to smashfests with us, but you show up to tourney. i would do the opposite!
biffle and mcnutty - thanks for showing up. you probably won't read this however.

dcx1287

Smash Lord
I suggest a pool-less, 32 man triple elimination bracket tournament next time (best of 3).

Ok not really, but wouldn't it be cool to see if we could conceivably finish a 32 man best of 3 triple elimination bracket tournament in 10-12 hours? Forget the melee tournament - the actual "game" would be to see if we could finish in time.

I'd be willing to forsake doubles to see if we can get a triple elimination singles tournament done in a day.

Kal

Smash Champion
Challenge accepted. It will be epic... wait for it... dary!

nateychan

Smash Rookie
nateychan - thanks for showing up, i thought you didn't want to play wi0th us anymore. i think our relationship is finally rekindled.
I wish I knew who yall were IRL xD Nah I've just been real busy with studies n ****, plus not having a car can be limiting. But I hear yall are having smashfests near west campus so hopefully I'll be able to join in on more of em

MT_

Smash Ace
1: Darkrain - So hyped to see you and glad you could make it. Fun friendlies and next time moneymatch maybe?!?!
2: Mojo - Good **** placing at the top again Oscar. It was fun having you over after the tourney and even more fun taking your money in our MM :troll:
3: Arc - Good stuff on 3rd and not beating Team MT in doubles while losing a match to Blue Pawls <3 get ***** by Darkrain and Mojo haha, come play with us more so you can practice not losing.
4: The 13 - <3 <3 <3 fun MMs and teams matches!! And super good ****s on beating Edgar, do you mind teaching me the secret?
5: Tirno - Get'em next time!! I have been trying to give you Fox practice but don't expect me to be picking up Falco to help you get revenge on Jake...lol
5: Kal - Thanks for the coke! And thanks for helping Jose run the tournament. Good stuff on 5th and it was a pleasure housing you.
7: MaxX - I'd write something in Spanish like everyone else but it'd end up incoherent and nonsensical. We had some really fun friendlies!! I love your Fox and hope to play you again in the future, next time in tournament or in money matches. I don't know why I didn't think to money match you!!
7: FKO|BanTears - Good job beating Reqy and #WINNING IN TEAMS!!!! AWWYEAH TEAM MT FTW
9: GarrR - GJ beating Pawl and streaming and stuff. Omg you tied with me in placing so good. Also I am embarrassed to know you.
9: MT - Lose to Samus more.
9: Reqy - :mad:
9: Sybawave - Why are you so good at Marth dittos >_> I seriously got ***** in our MM... arghhhh and stop johning seriously you are better than that.
13: Pawl - Your Ganon is so good!!! I didn't take a single friendly off of it... somehow in my entire time in the scene I've managed to avoid you in tournament... It was a fun housing you and those friendlies at my place were super fun. You always place lower than I think you should...step it up!!!
13: Lalo - Super good tournament this time around IMO and hurry up and get better (I say this every time lol), you have so much potential you just haven't focused on bringing it out yet... Also, I am looking forward to our date <3
13: GlibbyGlobby - HURRY UP AND GET BETTER I AM EXPECTING GREAT THINGS FROM YOU AND DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT WHO MADE A BAD PREDICTION :mad:
13: RedShadow - I didn't play you at all at the tourney! WHY!
17: C - Hey man your Falco is always giving me a fright despite the copious amounts of Falco practice I get in Austin. Keep it up and keep showing up to tourneys!! Always a pleasure to see you. If you ever need housing in Austin just let me know, you are welcome to stay a night or two if you want.
17: Velox - I only really said hi to you once the whole tourney; why didn't we play any friendlies lol.
17: Kyle - Fun tourney set man, hope to see you again in future tourneys.
17: Wzrd - SO CLOSE on that one match with Von. Stop doing homework all the time and come play me so you can get better LOL, I think you have a lot of potential and if you really start to focus on tightening up your game and improving, you can go a LONG way.
17: Vash - Thanks for the coke!!! It was a pleasure to house you and I hope your Marth has been making progress. I don't think we played much but I trust that you are playing, practicing, and improving!!!
25: McNutty - Come to another smashfest/tourney!! I hope you had fun here and hope to see you in the future!!
25: Rawr - Show up more often!!!
25: Nateychan - Good to see you man, see you at future events.
25: Biffle - Same as McNutty, seeing you at future events would be awesome. Hope you had fun!

M4xX

Smash Cadet
**** MY LIFE. i just wrote like a huge reply from my cellphone and the thing just crashed... **** it.

Anyway. Long story short I loved meeting and playing with all of you. I had a great time and i hope to marry a random texan girl, so i can be around more time. Hope to see you all again. Oh and i havent seen this thread until now :( silly me.

Btw. Do you know if the guy recording with a video camera got the video on the net or something? I would LOVE to watch it.

:phone:

:phone:

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
i hope to marry a random texan girl
yesssssss.

MT_

Smash Ace
Oh.

I made a typo. It's supposed to be "find" not fund. And it was implying that Kalo is a girl.

Whoops.

Top Bottom