• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FridayNYTE Tourney (Pre-NYTE) April 6th (Mew2King coming)

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Pre-NYTE Tourney​

Both Melee and Brawl will be here. Due to time constraints, we will need to run a double elimination bracket for all 4 events, rather than any pools.

Entrance Fee is currently free for every event. This is subject to change for now. Times are also subject to change.

Tournament Host(s): OkamiBW
Call or text: (949) 290-1744

Tournament Co-host(s): KiraFlax, RaveRemix, Rubyiris

Official Commentator: Taj

When: April 6rd, 2012

Where: University of Arizona, Tucson; Student Union Memorial Center; TV Lounge (Bottom Floor)

Scheduled Times*:
2:00 PM Set-up, Doors open
2:30 PM to 3:30 PM Singles/Doubles Melee/Brawl Registration
4:00 PM Melee/Brawl Doubles Double Elimination Bracket Begins
6:00 PM Melee/Brawl Singles Double Elimination Start
11:00 PM ~ 1:00 AM Venue Closes
*Note: These are rough estimates. Things may go quicker or slower. The only thing that is certain is that you're probably safe getting there at 1:45 PM.

Please try to get here early guys. :)

Singles/Doubles Information:
Entry Fee (Singles): Free
Entry Fee (Doubles): Free
Singles: Double Elimination
Doubles: Double Elimination
Bring roughly $20 to the tournament if you plan on doing singles and doubles for both games. If that means you need to go to the bank or talk to your mom/dad; do that now before the tournament.

Directions: Assuming you can find a well-known University…go to the north side of campus to Speedway. Turn in on the direct middle street which should be Mountain. There is a giant parking structure just before the circle. This is free on weekends. There are other spots to park in metered areas if need be, but that generally shouldn’t be required.

We have no “guaranteed” televisions, so please try to bring as many as possible. There are, however, 4 televisions that are likely to be useable. If we have a television for every 4 people, that should be excellent. More is definitely better. I would rather have 8 televisions with singles and 2 unused televisions than only 2 set ups running. Please try to bring a power cord as well! I have one power cord that reaches 20 feet. Preferably, if we had three more power cords, we should be safe.

Rulesets

Melee Ruleset

Stage List

Singles

Starter Stage List:
• Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
• Past Stages: Dream Land
• Special Stages: Final Destination
• Special Stages: Battlefield
• Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
• Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
• Planet Zebes: Brinstar
• Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
• Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Teams

Starter Stage List:
• Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
• Past Stages: Dream Land
• Special Stages: Final Destination
• Special Stages: Battlefield
• Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
• Planet Zebes: Brinstar
• Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
• Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

General Rules
• Items are set to off.
• Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
• Regular sets are best of 3 matches.
• The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
• Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
• Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
• Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
• Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.
• Wobbling and the freeze glitch are officially 100% banned at these tournaments.
• Tai's Stupid Rule: Mewtwo's Soul Breaker glitch is, in fact, legal. How to get a Red Shell while not interfering with General Rule #1 is up to you!

Additional Rules for Teams Play
• Life Stealing is allowed
• Set team attack to ON

Redwood Counter Pick System
1. Blind Picks character selection.
2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 1 order.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

Recommendations to Tournament Hosts (a.k.a. Other Notes)
• Players are responsible for their own general welfare in regards to the tournament. In other words, players are responsible for:
1. Being familiar with the rule set and stage list
2. Entrance and venue fees
3. Arriving on time
4. Maintaining personal hygiene
5. Controllers and Character Knowledge
6. Minimizing Johns

• Sets are usually based on brackets which may be seeded at the Tournament Host's discretion. If your tournament is any other format, make a note to advertise it accordingly.
• Some kind of stalling prevention is highly recommended. Since a definition of stalling is too potentially ambiguous here, all instances of stalling are determined by the Tournament Host.
• Unnecessary delays in a set should be discouraged. This can occur before (not playing a match) or during (taking an unnecessary amount of time to counter pick) and after (not reporting) a set that has been called. The Tournament Host is recommended to keep tabs on set completion.
• No more than the previous match should be replayed in the event of a rule violation and it is recommended that any disputes be brought promptly and quickly to the Tournament Host's attention.
• When running a pool, the game count of each set in pool play should be recorded (i.e. whether the set was 2-0 or 2-1). Ranking in a pool is determined by the number of sets won. In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker is the win/loss ratio of the individual games, where the higher ratio wins. In the event of a tie in both set victories and match-up ratios, the player who won the set between the disputed players should advance.
• The semi-final and championship sets should be in at least best of 5 format.
• Wireless controllers should be discouraged or banned because of interference, unreliability (battery life), and time hindrance.*
• The Tournament Host reserves the right at any time to make anyone leave the premises of the tournament.
• For all Melee tournaments, use of the character Metaknight is banned.
*Okami’s note: However, they may be used at players’ own risk.

Okami’s Additions to the Rules/Info:
• Trash talking by the audience during sets that are not semifinals or grand finals are discouraged, but allowed. Individuals (aside from the Tournament Host) in the audience may be silenced by any of the players participating in a tournament match at any time.
• Trash talking during semifinals and grand finals are allowed. Same rule as stated above applies. This is the ONLY time pausing is allowed and players who choose to pause for this reason may be disqualified at the Tournament Host’s discretion.
• Clean up after the tournament.
• Individuals may not undermine commentators while the microphone is recording.

Taj's Better Rule
You may choose to ban a neutral or all counterpicks.

These rules are copied and pasted from the MBR Official Rule Set topic. A few small modifications have been made to fit the tournament better. Those who do not abide by these rules are subject to consequences determined by the Tournament Host. Any other questions or comments about the tournament may be posted here!

Brawl Ruleset

The Japanese Ruleset

General Rules:
1. 3 stocks
2. 10-minute timer
3. Best-of-3 sets (WF, LF, and GF will be Best-of-5)
4. Double elimination
5. All items off
6. Team attack on
7. Changing controls allowed
8. Pause is turned off

Limiting Rules/Bans:
1. No using infinites for stalling purposes
2. No bugs/glitches of any kind
3. No Infinite Dimensional Cape (incidental use of IDC is tolerable)
4. Ledge grab limit of 50
5. No scrooging (player may travel under the stage once from the ledge)
* "Traveling under the stage once from the ledge" is defined as dropping off the ledge on one side of the stage and reaching the height of the original ledge on the other side of the stage.
Exceptions to Rule 5:
When one of the players is attacked by the other and takes damage.
[There is one other exception, but I don't understand it. I'll update this once I get a clarification from RAIN, or if someone else can figure out what it means from the Japanese version.]

Stages:
Starter:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville

Counterpick:
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1

Set Format:
Game 1:
1. Stage-striking order and controller ports are determined by Rock-Paper-Scissors
2. Rock-Paper-Scissors loser strikes one of the three Starter stages
3. Rock-Paper-Scissors winner strikes one of the remaining two Starter stages
4. Players select their characters (players may elect to have a double-blind character selection)

Game 2 (and so on):
1. Loser may select controller port
2. Winner may ban a stage from the Counterpick list
3. Loser selects one of the remaining stages
4. Winner chooses character
5. Loser chooses character
6. Repeat steps 1-5 until the set is decided

Timeouts:
In the event that a match goes to time, the victor will be decided by the following steps, in order:
1. Number of ledgegrabs (if one player exceeds 50 ledgegrabs, that player will be declared the loser)
2. Number of remaining stocks
3. Amount of damage percent
4. If stocks and damage percent identical, the match will be replayed on the same stage, with each player at one stock.

k9.

Smash Ace
Dang i get to see m2k again lol i seen you at AX like a year and a half ago when you got f'd over the cap on singles lol XD

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
No offense m2k but just because you're in Phoenix doesn't mean people 120+ miles away from you can't host a tournament for the people who have school/work/don't want to drive that far the night before a major.

That's really ****ing selfish of you.

:phone:

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
No offense m2k but just because you're in Phoenix doesn't mean people 120+ miles away from you can't host a tournament for the people who have school/work/don't want to drive that far the night before a major.

That's really ****ing selfish of you.

That being said, we could always just have a really low or nonexistent entry fee.

oksas

oak-sauce
m2k y u no have controllers?

also, does that mean you need someone to get you from phoenix?

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Oh, and your dates on the post are a bit wrong, Rob. Its says March 3 and March 31st. Someone has been copypastaing. :D

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I'll be bringing catan, of course.

The way m2k worded his post made me think that he thought that it would be pointless to host it in Tucson since he will be in Phoenix. It looked like an extremely passive aggressive post.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Sorry. Thought I had got everything. That look good, Elvis?

And once again, thoughts on entry fee? If no one has any ideas, I'm just gonna go with free due to the reason in my last post.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
I'll be bringing catan, of course.

The way m2k worded his post made me think that he thought that it would be pointless to host it in Tucson since he will be in Phoenix. It looked like an extremely passive aggressive post.

I feel ya. Just try to look at things at face value, not behind the meaning. Sometimes there is nothing to be found....What is Catan? lol

Everything looks fine. I will see you April Sixrd. :troll:

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Oh wait, I did see a contradiction Okami. The date is wrong. It should be April 6th. You have it marked for 3-6-12 when it should be 4-6-12.

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Just so everyone knows (Until okami edits it) the tournament is April 6th, not March 6. Also, free tournament sounds coo.

Herro94

Smash Apprentice
well how about we do like a one dollar tourney seems harmless and we will have some incentive for people to go all out even if the prize is small.
Catan is a board game look it up its awesome.

MMZJSFMMX10MM

Smash Cadet
I will probably go to this tournament. I usually don't go to Tucson tourneys since it costs a full tank of gas (roughly 60 bucks), but this one seems like the entry fee will be waived. I will be coming from Tempe/Phoenix, so I could probably give a ride to some people.

Blood Falcon11

Smash Apprentice
If I can get a ride to Tempe from my parents on time( I have school until 2:30), then I'll be able to come.

EDIT: Turns out I can get a ride to Tempe and have school off that day, so I'll be coming! :]

Yoshiken96

Smash Journeyman
Aw man, I would have totally loved to come to this, but because of school and work I doubt I would be able to arrive any earlier than 8:30.

SSBMstuff

Smash Cadet
@DrillbitSammy: Some would find this a worthless post, but I just have to say this... I love your avatar xD

I'll also be going to this event, provided MMZJSFMMX10MM is able to, and it looks like there's a real good chance of that luckily!

oksas

oak-sauce
Aw man, I would have totally loved to come to this, but because of school and work I doubt I would be able to arrive any earlier than 8:30.
that still leaves plenty o time for friendlies and such. you ought to come anyway!

Top Bottom