• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How the Midwest Was Won by Boss Thread (Athens, Ohio)

TheKiest

Smash Champion
MELEE SINGLES:
1: Boss
2: Lake
3: Taki
4: Vudujin
5: Framerate
5: Nakamaru
7: Juushichi
7: Sil
9: JBro
9: KassandraNova

BRAWL DOUBLES:
1: Kel + OS (Overdrive Ostrich)
2: Taj + Boss (Virginia's Blackest)
3: Lumi + Sora (Gobestar and Bryline Chili)
4: Jiffy + Blue (CAN-TON!!!!)
5: PeppyWil + BlazingKatari (Blind Date)
5: Mister Eirc + RaplhCecil (Keister is a pretty cowboy)
7: Exdia + SoulPech (Black N White)
7: The Sneakiest (Tako + Keist)
9: Papa Z + Sleep (Tuck me in Papa Z)
9: Kass + Luna (Gary Oak is Hot)
9: Sombra + Chris (Team Venture)
9: Jbro + TheLake (Baby Bop)
13: Team Terra Cotta (Nakamaru + Vudujin)

BRAWL SINGLES (35 Entrants):
1: Boss
2: Kel
3: POPS
4: Blue Rogue
5: Ralph Cecil
5: Mister Eric
7: Sorasin
7: SneakyTaco
9: Sil
9: Suyon
9: Luminoth
9: PAPA Z
13: Cameron
13: Overswarm
13: Sombra
13: Sleep
17: Blazing Katakiri
17: Jiffy
17: Soulpatch
17: KassandraNova
17: Auspher
17: TheKiest
17: Framerate
17: Taj
25: Exdia
25: Shurikan
25: Nyph
25: Yirby
25: PeppyWil
25: Nakamaru
25: JBRO
32: Chris
32: Kiba
32: Fields
32: Riku

NEEDZ MOAR MEDANIGHTS!1!1!!:
1: Kel + OS (Overdrive Ostrich)
2: you and jiffy
3: Kass + Lumi (I don't know)
4: meat knight (kregins framerate)
5: suyon solecalibur
5: Auspher + Hunky
7: pwill Yirby
7: juu feilds (Hitting them buttons like simon its marvel baby)
9: Sombra + Chris (Team Venture)

OldAnthem27

Smash Journeyman
First of all, thank you Kiest for organizing this tournament. Athens is such a great location for me; it's a blessing to play there! I hope you throw another one soon!

Okay...

I don't think I'm going to go in order of the results...

SneakyTako: as always, it was great playing with you! I was ready for your ROB, but instead got your DeDeDe... Next time I hope we can play even longer! Honestly, you were the first DeDeDe that I've every really played! I'll learn the matchup and be ready next time! You are a chill guy to play with; you always give good advice and seem joyous throughout the match! Take that as you will.

PAPA Z: For not playing Marth very long, you did very well! I enjoyed our pool matches. Going against a Diddy is hardly ever an enjoyable match. Next time we play I know you'll be even better! Hope to see you again, man!

Exdia: It was nice meeting you! You have a very interesting Luigi, I must admit. I was able to read you pretty well, and I think that's why I took the matches. I hope we get to play again, man! You seem like a really nice person!

Auspher: Good games! It was nice to finally play you! I know the Wolf matchup pretty well, though! With some practice, you should have no fear to take on Diddy! Also, good choice in taking me to Norfair. Man, I hate that stage!

Sorasin: I enjoyed our matches in doubles; they were so close! You definitely outplayed me in singles, though! I really only ever play one Falco, so I probably have some bad habits in the matchup (though my sparring partner is good). Next time we play, watch out! I won't be so easy! Hope to see you again!

Kel: You showed me what-for in our singles match! I was actually getting the hang of things towards the middle of our second game-it was too little, too late, though! Next tournament, I would really appreciate the chance to play some friendlies with you; I know I can learn a lot! Usually Marth doesn't give me too much trouble, but you know how to play the spatial game!

Jiffyboob: It was a lot of fun playing you! After that first game in our money match I thought you were just going to dominate me! Next time, I'll give you the opportunity to win back that large sum of money (.... 75 cents, haha!). Anyway, nice meeting you!

Rikku: I think you were in my pool. Nice games, and nice Lucario! I thought you were going to sneak away with the second match! I hope I see you at the next tournament!

Soul Patch: Great games, man! I'm sure I'll see you at another tournament soon!

To people I didn't actually play...

Luminoth: Like I said, our doubles matches were a lot of fun, and way close! Still, though... why didn't we play? I'm serious when I say this-next tournament!!!

Mister Eric: Odd we didn't play, too. We normally do! Great placement in the tourney! Next time, let's play some! And thank you for helping me with dinner, haha-meager though it was!

Ralph Cecil: I was hoping to play you here. You did great in bracket, good job! We'll have to organize some smashfests since we live decently close. You know, now that I think about it... I didn't play a Snake at all on Saturday. :-/

Boss: It was great to finally meet you! I watched your videos all the time when I played Mario. I was hoping I would get the chance to play you. You probably would have thrashed me, but I know it would be a great learning experience. It was nice to talk to you. You seem like a nice guy! I hope to see you at another tournament soon!

I think I covered everyone that I interacted with. If I missed anyone, I'll post again. I had an awesome time!

I'll be back at other tournaments and I will be better; this I promise! I'm learning more at every one!

~ Sombra ~

D

Deleted member

Hey Kiest, be sure to post the pool cutoff as well when you post the bracket image.

Kel

Smash Master
Yeah, you should at least post that there were 40 entrants or something, but THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR RUNNING THESE AGAIN.

We all missed having these very, very much. I continue my habit of getting second at these and I got to test the waters with my new Marf <3. I'm looking forward to learning the game all over again with everyone.

Sombra, of course we'll play, man! You should have asked me to play that night. I was pretty strapped for time, but I'm always down to play. I may not seem like an approachable guy at times, but I generally just have the idea that if people don't ask me to play, they don't want to play. Conversely, if someone does not ask for advice on their game, I generally don't give it either because I don't want to be condescending. Just come find me and we'll definitely play. Come to more tournaments!

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
You missed me, Sombra!

Then again, I didn't enter Brawl either. It's good that you said that, Kel. I had wanted to play your Marth and get some critique myself (since I've wanted to play some friendlies with you for a while) but I never felt there was a real way for me to approach you about it, haha. Next time I see you, I'll be sure to hit you up about a couple of things.

I'll make my generally long shoutout post in a bit, but extra shoutouts to the PA Melee crew and VA for coming over preliminarily.

jbro

Smash Ace
Yooooo first of all, let me say THANK YOU THANK YOU to the heads running this, and making it fun for us even though the Melee showing was slim. Also huge thank you to whoever it was that didn't mind me commentating the Melee stream, it was real fun. Shoutouts real quick:

1: Boss - winning both melee and brawl? gooooood **** my dude. you cleaned up.
2: Lake - reeeeeal good showing. and the best commentary partner. so fun.
3: Taki - THERE IS A SPECIAL PLACE IN HELL FOR YOU. just kidding. good stuff dude. unlucky in the round robin.
4: Vudujin - kiskisue *smooch smooch* looked pretty good this weekend. just watch the SDs and you'll be back on top.
5: Framerate - yooooo you kicked the **** out of me, bro. i need to learn the ganon matchup, i'm so bad at it. good stuff.
5: Nakamaru - PAAAZUUUUZUUUU! didn't get to see your match with aaron that knocked you out of the tourney. but judging by your friendlies post-tourney, you deserved to finish top 4 with the rest of the guys. good ****.
7: Juushichi - juuuuu good stuff man. awesome match. i got psyched out in losing the sheik dittos round 4 so i switched to luigi and blew it. next time i won't make it so easy for you. :)
7: Sil - shoutouts to the only person in this tourney i apparently didn't get a chance to talk to
9: JBro - imagine me being in last place once again. eff this noise
9: KassandraNova - melee doesn't suck. stay away from the idiots and you'll enjoy it a ton.

MORE RANDOM SHOUTOUTS:
people playing humans vs. zombies, i'm super jealous
everyone i met who complemented me on my steelers jersey
chicks blazin in the apartments we walked by who yelled out
everyone vudu offended by making kissy noises at them
the cop that pulled us over
those guys that invited us to that rave but we didn't go
anyone who was in the stream chat and gave me something to talk about
pittsburgh melee in general because we hold it down
ohio brawl for doing their best to cater to us melee heads as well, respect
brawl players that didn't mind watching melee for a while on the projector screen
BIG shoutout to my brawl pool, i'm terrible at that game, but you guys were chill as ****
shoutout to the pittsburgh guys saying "HOW CAN SHE SLAP" during my match, i didn't hear it til i watched the recording afterwards. hilarious.
but most of all: PAZUUUUUZUUUUUU

I think that's it for now. I'll edit if I think of anything else.
Thank you Kiest, Ohio U and Ohio Brawl players.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Yoh!

Start off Keist, name is spelled wrong D: (Pech). You should know my name by now, lol. Key points of this weekend were the epic Pokemon Puzzle League matches with Sneaky and caperape shenanigans. Too good!

SHOUTOUTS:

1: Boss - Swep up both major tournies like a broom. good stuff.
2: Kel - Congrats on getting 2nd.
3: POPS - Do you even play this game? O.o. You can be afk for 2 years and still do this good at a tourney. Good stuff.
5: Mister Eric - Love watching your ROB. It gets better and better.
7: SneakyTaco - YELLOW!
9: Sil- I really wanted to play you, but I got sick on Saturday :'(
9: Suyon- **** your Pit, lol. Just kidding. Good matches.
9: Luminoth - I REALLY wanted to play you the most...I just love play good Wolf players. Fun to play if it's Puff.
9: PAPA Z - Good Marth matches. Also, congrats on your new child :).
13: Cameron - I am still sad that I chose Wario on the last match. Oh well, good matches.
13: Overswarm- Always fun to have at any tournies
13: Sombra - Good Diddy matches. There are times you were predictable. Otherwise, very nice!
17: Blazing Katakiri- I need to learn the Sonic matchup, lol. ggs
17: TheKiest- Thanks for hosting the tourney. It was fun. Can't wait for D-Day
17: Framerate- Double Puff....in the future. Just saying.

To every one else: I wanted to play alot of you, but I became sick on Saturday. If I got people sick at this tourney I apologize. I did have fun and cannot wait for the next events!

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
First things first:

I'd like to reiterate to the Melee heads that came out: "Thank you." I have to admit that I was disappointed that the turnout didn't really turn to be what I expected it to be. I had mentioned ahead of time to all the Melee groups that I knew about it and when you guys (Pittsburgh) committed, I thought I'd finally had something to snag more of the OoS (and I guess even the local) crowd. Our side of the woods have always seemed to be primarily Brawl, even though Keister and I have tried to reach to the Melee side of the state for a while (I'm still working on that, haha...), there's more than I could say about that, but that's for another thread entirely. If you all enjoyed it as much as I hoped, I'm really glad.

Personally, I felt a responsibility to try to cater to you guys as much as I could and integrate you guys into the overall tournament as much as I could. Pretty glad that you guys tolerated me flipping around so much and being indecisive, since this was the first Melee tournament I've essentially run by myself. I know about the separation between the two games (which, I think is a bit silly) so seeing the two games coexist was nice. I know that you guys were pleasantly surprised that you got a stream (which was something we wanted to do for both games anyway), so that was nice to see. I can say at the very least that the players here (since none of us have any animosity towards Melee players) are more than welcome to have you all back. That's just the OUGA environment.

Now, away from my gushing bull**** and more to actual shoutouts:

MELEE SINGLES:
1: Boss - I was very surprised to see you come out and feel bad that there weren't more people and more hype matches for you to run into here. You seemed to take it in stride and at least appeared to enjoy yourself, so I'm happy to see that. I've always wanted to play you (way back before I played Melee and was a lowly Mario main) so I'm glad that I got to do that in at least one game. Thanks for you and your group coming out.

2: TheLake - A really chill guy and I'm sad that we didn't actually get to play that entire day. You're very impressive to watch. Naka told me to talk to you about Marth vs Falcon things and I think I'll definitely do that in the future. Hope to see you at another event. I think I'll try to head out to one of M@v's tournaments when I have some money.

3: Taki - Good games. I had a feeling that I was something of a warm-up but tried my best either way. Marth vs Fox is something of a MU I'm kind of experienced in but there are so many nuances I don't understand yet. I chalk that up to my overall inexperience with the game. Hope to play you again sometime.

4: Vudujin - The first of the PA crew that I talked to and oh so chill. Thanks for playing so many friendlies with me throughout the day Saturday. They were very fun and taught me quite a lot, even though we didn't talk about them too much. Hilarious as it is, I feel like I leveled up a ton just by playing you guys. It was very interesting talking about Melee and Brawl nuances and just general commentary and information about the game.

5: Framerate - Good games, though 1 and 2 weren't good showings on my part (no johns, your Ganon's always been solid I've thought). My Marth and your Ganon don't really have too much symmetry. That is to say that the MU is pretty hard for me, lol. Sheik on the other hand may well be my answer to you if and when we play against each other again.

5: Nakamaru - Thanks for the Marth-Falcon practice and the general teams friendlies among other things. I was looking forward to meeting all of you guys and I'm glad I did. I wish I would have been able to see your set vs Lake, but I had to run more of the logistics side of things. We'll definitely have to play soon and your combo video is dope. You are a very talented player, if not a little hotheadded at times. Maybe calming down a bit will help your play in some crucial moments? I'll catch you on the Falcon boards.

7: Juushichi - Hi~

7: Sil - Getting trigger finger after playing Melee has to really suck. I didn't get to see any of your matches in Melee, but we'll play next time I come down there. It'll be a blast just like our sets in the two games usually are. You should break out that Samus so I can get more exp in it.

9: JBro - Fun games and even more enjoyable set this time around. I was extremely scared of your Sheik, I'm not going to lie. I have to say that I was really surprised that you'd only been playing a month! You're extremely good for only that much. I'm sure you're getting a lot of training under SilentSwag and that will pay off a lot. You've got a lot of precision in the things that you can do and your spacing on dash attacks were difficult to deal with. If I hadn't had seen your struggle with Ganondorf, I don't think I would have won, honestly. He was what kept me from getting swept. Luckily, he was my old main and I was playing relatively well on Saturday. Keep it up! Thank you and the rest of the guys for Melee commentary too!

9: KassandraNova - Glad you came and played.

I'll do more general shoutouts later.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Gonna need some Brawl Singles character usage and payouts, when you get around to updating the OP, Kiest, alright?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Next time I won't suck it up and you'll have to play me in bracket. :B

I found your mario harder than your luigi from the few games we played, so I was really looking forward to seeing you give it your all and show me some cool weegie stuff, but I didn't put in enough effort to make it there XD

Let us know next time you come back

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Your Luigi didn't have the ability to surprise me in doubles at least. It had kill power, but every time I saw it do anything it was more of a "oh, I messed up" kind of deal. That'd probably change a lot in singles when you would have more maneuverability and control, but even when it came down to 2v1 and 1v1 in doubles I felt in control because I knew as long as I didn't fall into a danger zone you couldn't kill. When I played your mario I found myself getting hit in the face a lot when I hesitated.

Was hoping to play your Luigi in bracket to confirm D:

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
Yoooooooooooooo I wanted to come:(
Work johns.
Keist ran my first tourney.. EVER.
And that had 9 enterants
Good ****
With keeping it real.
I wanted to play boss.
Doc is free
Luigi is free
Carroll is free
Good stuff to lake.
Good stuff to jbro on the 1s and 2s

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
1: Boss - It was fun getting to play you. ^_^ Sorry for taking you to Pirate Ship lol. I just thought it would be funny. =p
2: Kel - I wish we could've played some friendlies, or something at this. It was fun in doubles though. =D
4: Blue Rogue - It was fun getting to play with you even though you made a combo video out of our set lol.
5: Mister Eric - You were doing great at this tourney lol. Also sorry for the confusion during doubles. T_T
7: Sorasin - I was hoping I could've played some friendlies with you or something as well. It was fun getting to play against you and Luminoth in doubles though. ^_^
7: SneakyTaco - I wish I could've got some friendies in with you as well. Sorry about the weak fist bump lol. >_<
9: Sil - I didn't get to see you play, but it sounded like you did rather well. ^_^
9: Luminoth - Our sets are always so close. D= It was really fun getting to play you twice lol. ^_^
9: PAPA Z - Sorry for not taking you up on that MM, but I was just kind of out of it at the time, but I will most likely be up for it next time we are at the same tourney. =D
13: Overswarm - I was pretty nervous about playing against you. D= I even had to take a break before playing Luminoth, because I didn't even expect to win that lol. Also thanks for helping me think about some of my MUs. ^_^
13: Sombra - I wish we could've gotten to play. D= Also good job on getting first seed in pools. =D
17: Jiffy - It was fun getting to play against you in singles, and very hard to do anything as well. >_< You were so patient lol.
17: KassandraNova - We've got that barefoot status. BD
17: Auspher - It was fun getting to play against you. ^_^ Also that match you played before we played was pretty entertaining. =D
17: TheKiest - Thanks for hosting another Athens tourney. ^_^

I'll probably post some more shoutouts if the people who got cutoff from pools get added as well. ^_^

MarsBitrona

Smash Apprentice
This was my first ever tournament stream and I thought it all went particularly well. Big thanks to everyone who gave me a hand with the stream, including (but not limited to):

Kiest, Sole, Exdia, and Derek - For providing much needed equipment
Jbro - For holding down the stream very well during Melee after I gave him about 10 seconds of vague explanation
TheKiest - For playing Super C on stream while we waited for Brawl matches and for thanklessly running a super fun event for all of us

And everyone who stepped up and provided some important sounding commentary:
Framerate, Sole, Exdia, Jbro, Silhouette, Sole, POPS, KassadraNova, Jiffy, and a bunch of other cool people

It was later brought to my attention that somebody jumped on the mike while I was away just to troll the stream chat and derail any actual game commentary. I apologize and take personal responsibility for that since I was away from the stream for so long. Sorry about that.

Streaming was fun. I'll have to do more of it in the future and try to bring the quality of Smash Bros tournament streams up to TeamSp00ky levels. A man can dream...

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Pretty salty about one of my plays which really effected how I resulted in tourney. Other than that, fun times.

Gotta ask about the stream tho, why'd it stream Melee for so long??
No troll answers please. Srs question.

MarsBitrona

Smash Apprentice
Gotta ask about the stream tho, why'd it stream Melee for so long??
No troll answers please. Srs question.
I need to own up to that one too. I wanted to put Melee on the stream while Brawl was in pools, because streaming pools is kind of lame since you only get to see one pool and I knew there was interest in Melee. I really thought it was going to be over a whole lot sooner than it was, since I thought only a few people signed up and didn't know it was best 3 of 5 matches. So my plan was to stream Melee through grand finals and then switch to Brawl, which would probably still be in round one of the bracket. I did not expect to be down the final 5 players by the time we got back to Brawl.

I know Brawl was the main event and I should have respected that by taking Melee off the stream sooner. Sorry about that.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Guys, I really do need that Brawl Singles character usage and payout. Any input would be appreciated...

M@v

Subarashii!
Good job on top5, but I know your better than this blue!

Hoping to make it back to the mw once school's done in may :D

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Alright, I don't exactly know the player count due to there being unlisted pools, so if anyone knows the number off the top of their head, say it, alright? I'm also gonna need to know POPS's character usage and confirmation on whether or not I have the character usage on the other players set down correctly. Please help me out!

Total Pot: (32 * $10) + $50 pot bonus = $370
Pot Split: 44 - 28 - 12 - 8 - 4 - 4

BRAWL SINGLES:
1: Boss :luigi2: :mario2: ($162.80)
2: Kel :marth: ($103.60)
3: POPS :warioc: :samus2: ($44.40)
4: Blue Rogue :wario: ($29.60)
5: Ralph Cecil :snake: ($14.80)
5: Mister Eric :rob: ($14.80)

Top Bottom