• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pathways Smash XII March

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/PathwaysSmash
AllIsBrawl: http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=13165
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/234558409973220
Springfield, MO discussion thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298346
Organizer/Host: Terral

No venue fee; tournament fees per-game will not surpass $10 (singles + doubles), but we usually decide when we get there. Please bring your own controller. We are planning to start at 1:00 PM, arriving earlier than that is unwise if you don't enjoy standing around. Bringing setups (TV + console + game) or partial setups is hugely appreciated.

March will feature Brawl and Melee events. Meta Knight will be banned in all Brawl events. It's been a while since we did a side-event, so we may include a mid-tier bracket for one of the games or something along those lines. If there's demand, we will run a Street Fighter X Tekken event.

Other games may also be featured on the side, such as Super Smash Bros 64 or Super Street Fighter 4. If participants want to bring a game (any game), they should bring a full setup (TV + system + game and ideally an extension cord/power strip) for it to be played on, and we may have a single-elimination event if there's demand.

If your match is on a recorded setup, please use identifying nicknames so that the one running the setup has an easier time keeping track of who is who when they are uploaded.

If you plan on showing up, it would be ideal to post here or contact Terral in advance. This is to ensure that we know how many people to expect, and won't start the brackets before everyone has arrived.

Tournaments are roughly scheduled for the third Saturday of each month, but this changes on a monthly basis.

For the curious, there should be some kind of food and soda, and the venue has water fountains. Expect pizza, but there's a good chance we will need to pool together money.

If you think you may need to text someone, just ask and Terral can provide a cellphone number. Make sure you have at least one person's number from the main group in order to be let in, as the doors need to be kept locked.

Venue Details

Name: Pathways United Methodist Church
Address: 1232 E. Dale Street
Springfield, Missouri, United States

Don't break anything, keep to the rooms where the tournament is in. The tournament will most likely be in the basement; facing the main parking lot, there is a dark metal door by a window and drain-thing, inside the door the basement stairs are to the left. The door will be locked, so make sure to have a contact on the inside.

Rules[COLLAPSE="Brawl"]Using the newest version of the BBR Unity Ruleset, with added match-up specific rules. Meta Knight is banned. PS2 also is removed from counter-pick. We may drop Unity in favor of a custom rule set; this is up for discussion.

Double elimination
3 stocks, 8 minute timer, items off/none
Best 2 of 3, 3 of 5 for finals (or 2 of 3 if players agree)

1-stock format: 3 minute timer, best of 5, 7 for finals

Match-up specific rules:
- If a character matchup is chosen that has a character-specific infinite or near-infinite, if the character with an infinite counter-picked the other player, the disadvantaged player may choose to reset the character selection process (they choose a different character, opponent counter-picks again; this can happen only once)
Affected:
Dedede's standing infinite (Mario, Luigi, Samus, Donkey Kong)
Marth's re-grab (Ness, Lucas)

First round of a set:
- select characters for first set
- strike out stages from starter: one player strikes two stages, other strikes three, first strikes one.
- each player may ban a stage for the set
After:
- loser chooses counter-pick stage*
- winner chooses character
- loser chooses character

- When choosing a character, multi-character slots are to be specified (ie ZSS or Samus, Shiek or Zelda); Pokemon Trainer may be randomized, and random (slot) is a legal selection

* You can't counter-pick a stage that you've already won on in the set, unless agreed upon

Starter:
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Battlefield
Castle Siege
Final Destination
Smashville
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1

Counterpick:
Battleship Halberd
Brinstar
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Melee"]4 stocks, 8 minute timer, items off/none
Best 2 of 3, 3 of 5 for finals (2 of 3 if players agree)
Wobbling is banned

Character choice/stage selection is identical to Brawl's rules. Random is a legal character choice; character may be randomized ONCE as the last step before starting the game.

Starter:
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter-pick:
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Planet Zebes: Brinstar

Doubles changes:
Starter: Pokemon Stadium
Counter: Kongo Jungle 64, Rainbow Cruise
Banned: Fountain of Dreams[/COLLAPSE][COLLAPSE="Smash 64"]5 stocks, items none
Best 2 of 3, recommended 3 of 5 for finals
DK's infinite cargo hold is banned

Starter Stages: Congo Jungle, Hyrule Castle, Dream Land
Counterpick Stage: Peach's Castle.[/COLLAPSE]Super Street Fighter 4:
Play for best of 3 best of 3, with finals being best of 5 best of 3. Double elimination. Random stage, since picking is pointless.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Terry and I are taking teams at this so lets make the entry fee like $100/team.
I hope you're ready to get 7-0ed again.

SFxT Side Tournament!!!!!

Or at least some friendlies. I'm sure there will be interest :)
I'd really like to see some people who know what they're doing playing this game at the tournament. It seems like people are enjoying it, so I'd like to have enough for a small bracket (I won't be joining in, though).

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I'm by no means an expert, but I'll hopefully have some fancy bnb's down by the tournament. I'll probably print off a paper that describes all of the basic controls and such so if anybody who's played 2D fighters before wants to play, they can look at the paper really quick and jump right in.

Also, I don't think it will disrupt the Melee or Brawl tournament too much if we just have it hooked up into the projector, since we don't normally hook up a Melee set up there anyway. I can also help you get people to play their matches if they're playing something they're not supposed to. I GOT YO BACK!

>Bert<

Smash Ace
If Arkansas comes again I will definitely be there. Arby + VTS I'm calling you out!!!!!!!!!!!

$5 money match me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I'm not shouting loud enough.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
If Arkansas comes again I will definitely be there. Arby + VTS I'm calling you out!!!!!!!!!!!

$5 money match me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I'm not shouting loud enough.
You should try bold, capital letters. And maybe red font.

Sadly I don't think they're coming again this month. That doesn't mean you shouldn't come though.

:phone:

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
This is a pretty low hype pathways.

I actually work Saturday so won't be there until 530pm ish. I don't have to work until 10am the next day though so that's good.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
A pretty no-hype Pathways. It'll be OK though, I'll still be there.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Alright, we have two midwest all stars confirmed, and one from the Missouri top 10 will be coming in later. That will surely build hype.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
If one factor were different this week I would be fine, but I've hardly even had time to start on homework due Sunday yet. I'd probably bring homework to the tournament if it weren't entirely online.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I'll be arriving when Michael gets off work unless somebody convinces me otherwise. Terral, what are your thoughts on doing the auction based tournament for this week? I know it will be a small attendance, but maybe we can just do low-tier or something to make it more interesting.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Terral, what are your thoughts on doing the auction based tournament for this week? I know it will be a small attendance, but maybe we can just do low-tier or something to make it more interesting.
I think it's an interesting idea, but I'd like to put a cap on how much someone can bid total at $2 or so, and have a $1 max per character. Something like that.

-Sinister-

Smash Ace
not that i think tons of money should be spent, but what's anyone's insentive to really care about $2 dollars max? but that's just my 2 dollars, so i guess no one really cares.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Does anybody in our crew know a lot about recording vids? I have a pretty decent laptop and a brand new Dazzle but I'm having trouble with it dropping a massive amount of frames. I'm pretty sure it's the software. Should I bring it and somebody can help me set it up the right way?

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Yeah we should at least try it. I'm sure we can figure it out.

Also, why not normal singles entry of 5 dollars max? I can understand if everyone's tight on money but they don't have to go up even close to 5, they can settle for someone else easily for a dollar.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
This Pathways was pretty lame. Romans tourney idea was super fun. Nobody took it seriously but me though, which just really makes it feel like a chore. Roman, I really want to see you show up one of these days ready to train and get better, with some energy. Terrence, you are perpetually bored with smash now and you don't jump in or play anybody. Wretched, you came with the intention of leaving right away and obviously didn't come to prepare for FC. Terral you backed down from paying an extra $0.50 to buy your main that you would have won with.

Somebody remind me why we're going to FC again? I mean, if we are just going to blow each chance we get to prepare, nobody is going to have any fun going 0-8 in pools when the tourney comes. Why aren't we preparing now? I like a challenge and I would love to make it passed first round of pools at FC. But this tourney was depressing and is making me second guess my decision to go. I want to know if you guys can step up and commit to making FC a priority and something to look forward to proving that Missouri isn't officially the worst state in the US at Melee.

-Sinister-

Smash Ace
This Pathways was pretty lame. Romans tourney idea was super fun. Nobody took it seriously but me though, which just really makes it feel like a chore. Roman, I really want to see you show up one of these days ready to train and get better, with some energy. Terrence, you are perpetually bored with smash now and you don't jump in or play anybody. Wretched, you came with the intention of leaving right away and obviously didn't come to prepare for FC. Terral you backed down from paying an extra $0.50 to buy your main that you would have won with.

Somebody remind me why we're going to FC again? I mean, if we are just going to blow each chance we get to prepare, nobody is going to have any fun going 0-8 in pools when the tourney comes. Why aren't we preparing now? I like a challenge and I would love to make it passed first round of pools at FC. But this tourney was depressing and is making me second guess my decision to go. I want to know if you guys can step up and commit to making FC a priority and something to look forward to proving that Missouri isn't officially the worst state in the US at Melee.

this makes me sad. so springfield is turning into como. where only one or two people actually care, with everyone else getting distracted with other crap. shame. **** starcraft/league of ******ry

ziv when the time comes, if no one will come with you to fc, i will.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
this makes me sad. so springfield is turning into como. where only one or two people actually care, with everyone else getting distracted with other crap. shame. **** starcraft/league of ******ry

ziv when the time comes, if no one will come with you to fc, i will.
Como needs to come back to Springfield.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart

Romans tourney idea was super fun. Nobody took it seriously but me though, which just really makes it feel like a chore.
You can't expect us to take a tournament seriously at 9 O'clock at night using characters that we don't ever use in a tournament that most of us didn't put any money in for.

Roman, I really want to see you show up one of these days ready to train and get better, with some energy.
He has the energy to do whatever he wants, but he is understandably unenthusiastic about melee. If he wants to play street fighter, well, whatever.

Terrence, you are perpetually bored with smash now and you don't jump in or play anybody.
Terrence isn't giddy and hopping to play everyone because he is in a skill slump. He feels like he can't get any better against anyone he plays here and that is depressing.

Wretched, you came with the intention of leaving right away and obviously didn't come to prepare for FC.
Are you really criticizing me for not staying the entire time? I have friends and I do things, Michael. It isn't my fault that nobody came to the tournament until 7. I am not going to ditch my friends just because EVERYONE wants to come to the tournament late at night. I am sorry I wasn't giddy and hopping to prepare for a tournament that is 4 1/2 months away.

Terral you backed down from paying an extra $0.50 to buy your main that you would have won with.
Terral is a poor college student.

Somebody remind me why we're going to FC again? I mean, if we are just going to blow each chance we get to prepare, nobody is going to have any fun going 0-8 in pools when the tourney comes.
Nobody is going 0-8 in pools because this was ONE tournament where nobody showed up until later in the night. I don't understand how you expect everyone to be enthusiastic to get 100x better at the first tournament since the FC announcement. If we want to get better at smash, we need to set up multiple play times a week, and we need to systematically make eachother better by recording sets and going over them, taking notes about tech habits, etc etc etc.

But this tourney was depressing and is making me second guess my decision to go.
Calm the **** down bro. This is one tournament that started at 9 O'clock at night.

I want to know if you guys can step up and commit to making FC a priority and something to look forward to proving that Missouri isn't officially the worst state in the US at Melee.
I am ready to prepare for FC, but you changing your work schedule to saturday really messed everything up. Like I said, we need to set up days of the week to ALWAYS play. If we play on Wednesdays and Thursdays or whenever, I will always come, but I can't just be playing you.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I'll admit I was mostly tired and cranky last night when I posted that. Seriously though it was upsetting that nobody came to play to get better. I am the only person that had an excuse to be late showing up though. Just cause I'm not there doesn't mean you guys can't play. Why was I the first one there besides Terral?

And Wretched you should really let the guys speak for themselves. It's really weird that you replied to the comments to everybody else.

Just because you're playing low tier doesn't mean you can't get better.

Wretched your really good at keeping track of data like habits and things people can do to get better. But why are you recommending vids when you won't record one of yourself?

I really just want to have a decent showing and play well (as a crew) at FC. Do you think Armada is not preparing for FC months in advance? Dr Peepee? Lovage? Why not us?

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I don't care if they weren't directed at me. You said the 'tournament' as a whole was disappointing when it was a get together of tired players.

I didn't like you recording my match with Drew when I asked you not to multiple times. It isn't like I care about being recorded.

WHO SAID I COULDN'T GET BETTER? I'm not going to work ****ing miracles in one night Michael.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
The order of arrival was: Me & Robbie around 11:45 or so, Chris showed up at 12:45-ish, David got there a while later, then a new Melee player (another Michael) stopped by but could only stay two hours or so, since he worked at 4. Phil got there somewhere around 4, then Blake a little after 5. Chris had to leave right before everyone else showed up. By the time all of the Melee players got there I'd already played several hours of the game. I decided to use Pichu in low-tier because a) I didn't feel like putting down $2 to begin with, let alone more and b) I kind of just wanted to use Pichu, because a low-tier event is the only chance I'd have of doing well with the stupid emo rat.

Results thread and such will be done tomorrow because I have around eight hours of homework and five hours to do it.

Zantetsu

Smash Master

I think I've said that I'm not going to take this game very seriously until I'm living in Springfield. There was no point in me taking it seriously last night when I'm not going to be able to play until the next Pathways, which I may not even be able to attend, and I'm certainly not going to be able to attend the Pathways in May because I have my senior trip in Panama City Beach, graduation, moving and job searching to do. My only free time at the moment is on weekdays which is when I can't be in Springfield, so I just play SFxT.

But, when I move to Springfield and get a job, that's when I can start taking this game seriously. Instead of me only being in Springfield on the weekends and having a tight schedule, I will be in Springfield every day and will be able to play before/after work and on some days I have off. I will be able to work with the schedule that everybody is on now. I expect to start enjoying the game once again when I'm able to play it often., but when you don't get to play the game very often at all, you start to lose interest.

Yeah, this Pathways was sort of a waste of practice, but I still had fun with what we did. Don't think of it as a wasted tournament, just think of it as a smash fest. It may not have been the best one, but it's only one get-together out of the many we will have this summer before FC, so don't get so worked-up. Whether we top at FC or not even make it out of pools, I'm positive the money and time we put into the tournament won't be a waste and it will be the best tournament we have all ever experienced.

Top Bottom