• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash for Safehouse

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Smash for Safehouse

3/31/12
Ann Arbor, MI

UPDATE 3/26: Originally I posted this thread with the working title of 'Oversalt' because I didn't know what our main sponsor (UM SAPAC) wanted to call it, but since then they've gotten back to me with their official event name, Smash for Safehouse. So that's the tourney title. Sorry for any confusion!

Here, we're doing a charity event, but there will still be big prizes for the winners that UM SAPAC has been generous enough to provide to us! See the Entry Info section for more details. Basically, same rules at a familiar venue, just a different take on the prizes.

UM SAPAC is advertising across campus to bring in a ton of locals. They brought me on board to ensure the tourney is run with the standard Melee ruleset and because we can provide full setups, so I hope people can bring those. The decision was made to run Melee Singles only, with a pro bracket and amateur bracket to maximize playing time for everyone.

= Schedule =

11am| Venue Opens, Registration
1pm| Melee Singles Pools
-- | Food Break (must finish your singles pool first)
4pm| Melee Singles Bracket
8pm| Side Event (if enough interest)
* Registration will end at 12:30pm sharp in order to provide the TOs time to create pools. That means you have to get here by 12:30pm if you want to enter!

= Venue =

Mason Hall
Room 1427
419 S. State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

Maps and Driving Directions:

= Entry Info =

Entrance Fee:
$8 if you register at the door
$5 if you pre-register online

Click Here for Pre-Registration

Just a one-time entrance fee for anyone who participates. As usual, $5 will be refunded to anyone who brings a full setup (CRT TV + GameCube + Melee disc + complete memory card).

Payout:
1st place: Amazon Kindle Touch 3G
2nd place: Cyber Acoustics Portable Docking Speakers for iPod
3rd place: $25 GameStop gift card

= Ruleset =

We're using a slight modification to the Apex 2012 Melee ruleset:

* 4 stock, 8:00 minutes
* Items OFF
* Sets are best-of-3 except Winners Finals, Losers Finals, and Grand Finals, which are best-of-5.
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* Wobbling is banned.
* Master Hand is banned.
* Glitches such as IC's Freeze Glitch and Mewtwo's Soul Stunner are banned.
* Stalling with Jigglypuff's Rising Pound or Peach's Wall Bomber is banned.
* Dave's Modified Rule: You cannot counterpick the stage you last won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.

Stagelist:

Neutral
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpick
Pokemon Stadium

Stage Strike for the first match of the set in "1221" fashion:
1. First person strikes one stage.
2. Second person strikes the next two stages.
3. First person strikes one stage.

After each match:
1. Winner announces stage ban
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character

Doubles-Specific Rules:
* Life stealing is allowed
* Friendly Fire is turned ON
* Pause is turned OFF

= Miscellanous =

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, pausing, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the current stock for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
* Failure to report to your match within 10 minutes will result in forfeiture of the first game of your set, then forfeiture of the whole set after another 10 minutes has passed.

Get here on time! If you're late, call a tournament organizer (TO for short) and we'll try to work something out. Do not call asking for directions, it's your job to view/print the maps we provided.

Main TO: Juggleguy (Rob)
Cell Phone: 734-945-4702
Email: robharn@umich.edu

WE NEED PEOPLE TO BRING FULL SETUPS!

Staff can only provide a couple TVs to start with, so it's up to the community to bring more to make the event easier to run (and way more entertaining)!

Reminder: $5 will be refunded to anyone who brings a full setup (CRT TV + GameCube + Melee disc + complete memory card).

Confirmed Equipment:

TVs
Juggleguy
King Miles
Solo
HIV+
Mason Hall x4

Cubes + Melee discs:
Juggleguy
King Miles
Solo
HIV+
Chad
Aceplayer
?
?

Please post if you can bring equipment to the tourney.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Yeah, this should be fun. I have faith they can bring in at least 20 completely new people to the event just from local advertising. It'll be a good opportunity to have more locals exposed to the MI Melee scene.

I also remember hearing something about an online pre-registration that would cut the entrance fee to $5, but I'll have to get back to everyone on that. It's still $5 off for a full setup, so well worth the effort imo.

Dre the Ace

Smash Ace
I'm on the fence for this one...

You also say it's a charity event, is there anymore info you can give? (like what organization/cause is this for, if you know)

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I think Safehouse, but not completely sure. I won't be handling any money/prizes at this tourney, that's all SAPAC. They're paying for the venue and prizes, I'm just running the tourney.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
I should be in AA for this. might just show up and play a few friendlies then leave though since I'm in michigan mainly for the gf's bday...

UIUC's engineering society asked me to run a tournament for them, but they delayed the plans indefinitely after I told them I could do it...

kd-

Smash Lord
Originally posted by WTP:

New side event. 08 CP+ only singles.

Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orphan
Rainbow Cruise
Battleship Halberd
Brinstar
Pirate Ship
Distant Planet
Big Blue
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Port Aero Town Dive
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1
Pictochat
Pokemon Stadium 2
Jungle Japes
Corneria
Green Greens
Onett

Before the first game each player gets to strike 3 stages (1221). The starting stage is then picked by random.
Winner bans 2 stages. Loser picks 4 stages and the stage is chosen by random between those 4. Character CPing is done before the stage is randomly decided.

MK banned.

I will run this.
We should totally do this for the Reverse Mains side event. Proposed stage list:

Great Bay
Rainbow Cruise
Poke' Floats
Princess Peach's Castle
Yoshi's Island
Big Blue
Fountain of Dreams
Brinstar
Mute City
Kongo Jungle
Kongo Jungle 64
Pokemon Stadium
Jungle Japes
Corneria
Green Greens
Onett

Soloist

Smash Ace
Chad, if we play in the reverse mains tournament it's going to get pretty complicated. You see, I play Zelda but will go Sheik if I have to play another Sheik. So if you main Sheik now, I'll have to play Sheik which means you will have to play Sheik as well because it's as if you're me playing you!

But I haven't decided if I want to go yet...lol

kd-

Smash Lord
What qualifies (edit: )one as amateur status?

@Solo no if we do reverse mains, you'll be playing Sheik and I'll have to be Zelda. In regular tourney it'll be my Sheik vs your Zelda/Sheik. Edit 2: Oh I see what you're saying. Dunno how secondary mains work in this thing. Oh well, no more free win for you :]

kd-

Smash Lord
Falco, Marth, Samus, Fox, Ice Wobblers. Did I miss anyone?

If we played you'd have to be Sheik >:]

kd-

Smash Lord
Trailer for the salt series:
Voiceovers of people saying tournament experiences that made them salty. Must end in 'I've got salt (for Who's got salt)', 'that made me oversalt', or insert-next-salt-series-name-here (HomeMadeSalt, Veins of Salt Water). EX:
well, at least this TO doesnt screw me over like tc
that made me over:salt:
Show clips of what happened in game with the voiceovers.

Slowly speed clips up, with voiceovers shortened to 'I'm salty' or just the tournament names.

Heightened feedback until EXPLOSION -> The Salt Series. A Michigan salty combo video.

Gracen

Smash Cadet
I would normally come to this. The drive isn't TERRIBLE.
But I am going to a Melee tournament in a small town next to mine. Trying to build a bigger scene here in Fort Wayne if possible.
Also, it's been a long time since I've been on the boards.... Can anyone explain how I could possibly know if tournament is going to be large enough to make it worth my drive?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
UPDATE 3/26: Originally I posted this thread with the working title of 'Oversalt' because I didn't know what our main sponsor (UM SAPAC) wanted to call it, but since then they've gotten back to me with their official event name, Smash for Safehouse. So that's the tourney title. Sorry for any confusion!

Also, the Facebook event has been up for awhile, I just forgot to link to it. Here it is: https://www.facebook.com/events/352159611495982/

Pre-Registration is also up and running. If you do this, you only have to pay $5 to enter: Click Here for Pre-Registration

I would normally come to this. The drive isn't TERRIBLE.
But I am going to a Melee tournament in a small town next to mine. Trying to build a bigger scene here in Fort Wayne if possible.
Also, it's been a long time since I've been on the boards.... Can anyone explain how I could possibly know if tournament is going to be large enough to make it worth my drive?
Normally we post a Facebook event and that's a decent indication of how large the tournament is going to be. This one already has 50 people confirmed, most of them UM locals, so turnout is looking pretty good. Also, a lot of people in the Smash community are too lazy to confirm themselves on Facebook, so it might be even bigger than that.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Don't worry, I'll be in charge of standardizing everything related to the Smash ruleset. I didn't make the Facebook event page, so that was probably written by someone who is mixing up Brawl with Melee.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
you get to choose which tourney you want to be in (pro or amateur)?

or is it by pools cutoff

also whatr the prizes for amateur bracket

^nvm the prizes, i lrnd2rd

King5280

Smash Journeyman
What is this team thing the pre-registration thing is asking me about?
From their registration form: Will you be playing as part of a team? *
Extra $1 fee per team member. Please no less than 3 people per team. Additional prizes for most successful teams.

Top Bottom