• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

64 Backroom Recommended Ruleset: 1st Revision

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Yeah, the backroom is still active.

Competitive Recommended Ruleset

Competition Rules

Competition format is Double Elimination.
If possible, brackets are to be generated with a Random Number Generator (RNG). It is recommended Tournament Organisers have a consensus from players before any seeding/byes are placed in-bracket.

All sets with the exception of the below are best-of-3.
Winners Semis, Losers Quarters and Losers Semis are best-of-5.
Winners Finals, Losers Finals and Grand Finals are best-of-5.
Online matches are best-of-5, with Winners Finals, Losers Finals and Grand Finals best-of-7.

Set size is ultimately up to the Tournament Organiser, but these are general guidelines.

Game Settings

Mode: STOCK
Stocks: 4
Handicap: OFF
Team Attack: ON
Stage Select: ON
Damage: 100%
Item Switch: NONE

Stages

The Starter Stage List consists of Congo Jungle.
The Counterpick Stage List consists of Peach's Castle, Hyrule Castle, Planet Zebes, Dream Land

The Online/Gameshark Additions to Starter Stages are Final Destination and How To Play.
The Online/Gameshark Additions to Counterpicks are Metal Mario Stage and Battlefield. Under no circumstances are matches to be played on Race to the Finish or Kirby Beta 2 Stage.
Please note: Hyrule Castle without Tornadoes and Dream Land without wind are banned.

First match of all sets is played on Congo Jungle.

If Gamesharking is in effect, the Stage Striking system is used. In this system, players take turns striking stages from the Starter Stage List until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counterpicked later in the set.

Characters

The following characters are legal: Kirby, Fox, Captain Falcon, Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Ness, Jigglypuff, Samus, Link.

Black DK (Right-C), Dark Samus (Down-C) and Dark Falcon (Right-C) are banned. Master Hand, Metal Mario and Polygon characters are banned.

Low Tiers tournaments should use the following characters: Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Jigglypuff, Luigi, Samus and Link.

Set Procedure
  • Players select characters for first match. Double Blind Picks may be called.
  • Players strike stages.
  • The first match is played.
  • The loser of the previous match selects the next match's stage from the Starter Stage and Counterpick Stage Lists.
  • The winner of the previous match selects their character.
  • The loser of the previous match selects their character.
  • The next match is played.
  • Above four steps are repeated if necessary.
General Guidelines for Console/Offline
  • Console is strongly recommended over using a Wii (frame skipping). A lagless laptop is also usable, as it has no frame skipping and is therefore the same as console.
  • The (U) version (NTSC) of Super Smash Brothers is recommended over (E) (PAL), (A) (PAL) and (J) NTSC.
  • All players must use the same sort of controller as the host in the interests of fairness. Every player must bring their own keyboard, N64 controller, Gamecube controller, Xbox360 controller and Hori Mini Pad - TO's should ensure every paying participant has these before entering them in bracket.
  • Tournament organisers should discuss and organise these arrangements beforehand.
  • It is recommended a 5 minute time limit is put in place for all matches, especially Hyrule. This may be difficult to enforce.
  • Draws are decided first by stock, then by percentage.
  • Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organiser sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible. TOs are exempt from this restriction.
  • Pausing is discouraged unless a player's phone rings and a third party can verify it is a relative of the player. At other times, the pauser loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock, the pauser loses two stocks.
  • Pausing and resetting (A+B+Z+R) is recommended to save significant amounts of time.
  • Mages DQ is enforced. When a match is called, both players must promptly arrive. If a player is 30 seconds late, they receive a warning. At 1 minute late, they lose the first game of the set and forfeit counterpick rights. At 2 minutes late, they forfeit the entire set.
  • Players may not eat while playing, or in-between matches. This is just rude.
  • It is recommended that drugs*, including alcohol, are prohibited at tournament venues for the sake of both the venue and the participants. Here is a link to why alcohol is bad.
* Healthcare drugs such as insulin supplements (diabetes), Epi-pens (anaphalactics) or asthmatic inhalers (asthmatics) are banned unless stated otherwise.

General Guidelines for Online

It is difficult to formally define a desynch, but when both players report that the opponent is doing something odd (attacking air, jumping off and completely failing to recover, etc), it can be considered a desynch. Input from players still goes through, so standing still and not moving at all is generally not a desynch (pausing to type, etc, are exceptions). Pausing the game is recommended over desynching, though neither is recommended (obviously).
  • Tournament Organisers are responsible for drawing brackets, publicly showing brackets/rules and disqualification. The Smash 64 Competitive Events section is recommended for posting tournament threads. This includes deciding who will strike stages first via RNG.
  • Matches are to be played with P2P Kaillera clients. Recommended emulators include Project64k, Project64k Vista Edition and variants of Mupen64k, such as Mupen Beta++.
  • If a match is played on server, observers must ensure they will not cause lag or an increase in frame delay, and may not communicate with players once a match has started.
  • The North American (U) version of Super Smash Bros is strongly recommended over (E), (A), (I) versions. Using All-star! Dairantou Smash Brothers! (J) should be either a separate bracket or the theme of the tournament.
  • Desynchronisation in any single match will result in a restart of that match. Players may, at any time, call desync, and the game will restart.
  • If the frame rate consistently drops below 57fps and there is a clear offender, they will be given a chance to turn off iTunes. If they do not, they will be reported on SWF and everyone is sad.
  • Pausing is allowed.
  • It is recommended that inactivity over a period (decided by the organiser) is met with warnings and/or disqualification. If the entire tournament is stagnant due to the Competitive Events forum being impossible to access, then everyone automatically wins.
  • Pausing and resetting (A+B+Z+R) is heavily recommended to reduce time in-game and hence time that you might desync in.

Additional Doubles Rules
  • Life Stealing (pressing Start when eliminated) is allowed.
Legal status of DK's Infinite Cargo Hold is left to Tournament Organiser discretion. It is recommended that the Cargo Hold limited to 2 releases to prevent abuse. One opinion is that the Cargo Hold can be regarded as a stall. If time is being enforced, it may be considered as such after 2-3 re-releases with the throwing player not attempting to do anything with it. It is advisable that this is cumulative in order to prevent abuse of this rule by throwing other moves in-between.

The following is how to escape the Cargo Hold. The tournament organiser may wish to inform players of this if they are not restricting the Cargo Hold.
If you do not wish to read the quote, just know that you have to mash the following, assuming DK is facing left. The opposite directions apply if he is facing right (?).
Right+B
Left+A
Right+B
Left+A
repeat

If they escape within 47 frames then that is the only way to do it.

Escaping DK's Throw Trap:

To escape DK's Clasp, use the normal escape method: Smashing and pressing alternate buttons/directions. You can escape in 8 frames.

To escape the ITT you have to start by pressing Right+B as soon as you are on DK's back (you'll get some percentage), then follow that with Left+A etc... DK cannot grab you again if you do this. If DK grabs, it will go through you. If he turns around, you will be free to grab him. Even if the DK is perfect he cannot grab you.

If you cannot do the above method, then you should do the escape procedure, and mash A once you escape the first hold. If the DK player is 1 frame off then you will hit him before he can grab again. This method is easier but if the DK is perfect he will be able to grab.

1 frame off:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5731459134922078284

DK Can't Fthrow:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5888230683216723819

^The same for Kirby and all other characters
This is only a recommended ruleset, and it is encouraged that Tournament Organisers take it and modify it as they see fit, while understanding the reasoning behind each of the recommendations and taking said reasons into account.

Other rules such as region-locking for online are left to the Tournament Organiser.

[collapse="Simple version of the ruleset"]
Legal Starters:
  • Congo

Legal Counterpicks
  • Peach's
  • Congo
  • Hyrule
  • Dream Land

All matches aside from the below are best-of-3
  • Winner's Semis, Loser's Semis
  • Winner's Finals, Loser's Finals
  • Grand Finals

Set progression:
  • Players select characters for first match (double blind)
  • Players strike stages (rock-paper-scissors)
  • First Match
  • Loser picks next stage
  • Winner chooses character
  • Loser chooses character
  • Play match
  • Repeat above four steps
[/collapse]

Olikus

Smash Champion
only congo as neutral, and zebes as counterpick? are you kidding me? didnt care to read more after that. i will refuse to play in a tourney that has lava spammed on the stage. jesus.

omg

O___O

edit: did I allso just read that pika is banned? Okay now i know its an aprils fool i feel so dumb lol.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Oh god, I was about to flip so much **** until I noticed that pika was banned and I was like "oh, yeah, OK, April fools." The four stock thing was brilliant; believable but infuriating.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Do I seriously have to repost this? Read the quote, guys:

I think that the ban of Polygon characters is absolutely ridiculous and should be removed at once. I mean, they obviously aren't broken or anything, are they? They're ****ing NORMAL CHARACTERS WITHOUT B MOVES. WHAT THE ****. This severe flaw in the ruleset must be addressed immediately.

And +1 to banning Ness, with him and Pika gone I'd daresay this game would be pretty balanced

MATTS!

Smash Ace
The whole backroom is dumb.

Do whatever rules you feel like. I'm not going to do what somebody says you have to do to play a game. Idiots.

The Great MATTS!

The Star King

Smash Hero
That means we did get you for a second, and you believed the 4 stocks, which came before the stages. PWNED.

Also MATTS! is right **** the Backroom

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Battlecow, in light of your recent posts we have decided to formally induct you into the backroom.

PM me the proposed arrangements for your acceptance speech, ceremony and UN-sanctioned boozefest of international harmony

please include your preferred venue, caterers and ice sculpting service.

Fish641

Smash Apprentice
As obvious this is as an April Fools thing, I seriously like 4 stocks over 5 for friendlies and would propose we do like 3-stock matches, but best of 5.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
"If the frame rate consistently drops below 57fps and there is a clear offender, they will be given a chance to turn off iTunes. If they do not, they will be reported on SWF and everyone is sad."

ahahahaha

Olikus

Smash Champion
actually we all should have understand the april fool by the first sentence.

Yeah, the backroom is still active.

we were all fooled!

The Star King

Smash Hero
Battlecow, in light of your recent posts we have decided to formally induct you into the backroom.

PM me the proposed arrangements for your acceptance speech, ceremony and UN-sanctioned boozefest of international harmony

please include your preferred venue, caterers and ice sculpting service.
L. O. L. It's funny because Battlecow's maed he was rejected twice. And yes, that's seriously the direction of trolling I'm gonna take, even though he was just echoing what I said.

Battlecow

Play to Win
You suck the funny out of everything mang. To think I wanted to sleep with you, once upon a time :mad: :sob:

The Star King

Smash Hero
I also think all sets should be best of 1. How else would you test true skill? If you had a fight to death IRL, would you get second chances? I think not. It also increases the pressure, better testing the combatants' ability to handle tournament pressure, an important skill in any competitive game. It also forces players to learn to adapt quickly to their opponent. Japan knows what's up.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
^
On a similar basis, this game needs to be played with 1 stock

You don't respawn in real life, that's just silly. This is a fighting game, not a video game.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Also, in real life, you wouldn't be a giant monkey or an anthropomorphized fox or a dinosaur or an electric rat. You'd be a human being. And real life has a very high resolution.

Conclusion: 1-stock best-of-one falcon dittos on DL on HDTV's are the only true test of skill.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
life would be pretty cool if people flew farther the more you hit them. Boxing would be pretty sweet.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
Before I realized this was a troll, I thought two things..#1 4 stocks????? Not hard to see more ppl hating on our backroom. #2 I should make compatible button activator codes for vs mode stages that can be on in tandem with FD codes.

Both things can still happen

:phone:

Top Bottom