• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MU Discussion: Diddy Kong

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
According to the MU chart, we have a -1 in this MU.
If you disagree in any way, post.
If you agree at all, post why.

Discuss the Diddy MU. I will try to stay out of MU discussions and let the other players talk.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
IMO, the reason this MU is hard is because of our inability to land safely and diddy kongs ability to **** our landing. It's really dumb. Our kill potential is greater than his, we have an infinite on him, though he has an infinite as well. Both characters have guaranteed kills at high percents (or... i guess any percent due to the infinite) with a banana... Diddy has more options but i think it's more close to even. Since the new MU's dont allow to have fractions (i would have gone with 0.5 in Diddy's advantage) i guess -1 will work for me.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
All the japanese players seem to know the dsmash banana infinite or lock on diddy.

I don't know how much it affects the match though.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
The infinite is useless when you can't REALLY play the match-up. It's glue more than the actual meat of the match-up.

I think -1 works. ZSS has to put herself in a few awkward situations just to create a good one if she wins in all of the awkward ones. Weird as hell.

BioDG

Smash Ace
Agreed with Xonar and Mink. I agree with -1.

I have a lot of trouble with this matchup. :[

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
I have trouble with it too. lol.

but i find my biggest problems are getting back on the stage because when i land theres a nana

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
All the japanese players seem to know the dsmash banana infinite or lock on diddy.

I don't know how much it affects the match though.
It helps on a couple of stages that Diddy loves... but it's not easy to put him in the situation,

I could see it been even but like mink said i also get ***** when im landing :(
Down-b and flipstool the bananas?
ACIT also works.

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
And if you used down b to momentum cancel or if he punished it when you were coming to the stage with it and don't have it?

Sigh, inb4isuck

Player-1

Smash Legend
MU is -1 IMO, it's hard for ZSS to kill Diddy if the Diddy is playing and camping his *** off like he should be in this MU. The infinite helps definitely, but Diddy has an easy infinite on ZSS too

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
...Maybe it's just me, but it seems like ZSS' infinite is MUCH easier to set up, and much easier to actually do without screwing up? I mean, 1 laser = stock. 1 glide toss = stock. 1 dsmash near a banana (admittedly this is VERY situational) = stock. 1 dash attack that picks up a banana = stock. Perhaps I'm not aware of what Diddy's setups into his infinite are?
The only ones I know of are actually hitting with the sh downward banana toss, and standing right beside the ZSS, facing away from her and tossing down. And glide toss forward if both bananas are close enough.

Not that it makes it ZSS' advantage, I agree with -1, but...realistically I don't see Diddy landing the infinite in this MU without getting a hard read. I AM very inexperienced in this MU (literally never faced a Diddy main that goes to tournies) so correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Player-1

Smash Legend
No ZSS has to get a dsmash with a banana RIGHT next to her with it which usually isn't the case unless she GTs it. Diddy has a lot of setups actually and it's really easy for me to do at least, I consistently get it to 999 on MK who has the same timing as ZSS amongst other harder timed chars

BioDG

Smash Ace
ZSS should have an easier time getting an infinite in if there's no platforms in the way (edit: I'm not sure how diddy sets his up either though). I feel like a well-spaced normal throw to dsmash (granted you're close enough) is the most accessible setup. Everything else seems to range from slightly to much more situational. Glide toss, for instance, seems more risky in a normal scenario due to the positioning from a miss. But then again, I just might be reacting improperly when I GT.

Player-1

Smash Legend
we can use all of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1nvykmfTxI

list: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13067028&postcount=3

Diddy metagame isn't up to that point yet. Right now for American Diddys only me and Dekar are infiniting anyone so you don't really have to worry about it unless it's us :p, even still me and dekar both aren't good enough to easily get a banana infinite out of any of those set ups. I personally play a very reactionary playstyle so I'm usually not really looking for those setups. I'll just analyze a situation and see a setups, and I, personally, like to z-drop/dode drop, which can set up for infinites a lot and I can just react to it and get it.

The 2 main set ups are the first 2. Pretty much anytime you attack our shield with an unsafe move it should be an infinite since we can just GT down OoS and get it.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
No ZSS has to get a dsmash with a banana RIGHT next to her with it which usually isn't the case unless she GTs it.
Perhaps I should explain these VVV
I mean, 1 laser = stock. 1 glide toss = stock. 1 dsmash near a banana (admittedly this is VERY situational) = stock. 1 dash attack that picks up a banana = stock.
-I meant laser while holding banana. Laser --> glide toss-->dsmash.
-Glide toss --> dsmash. Forward glide toss --> dsmash, glide toss down-->dsmash and glide toss down --> turn around dsmash are all guaranteed (I'm like 99% sure they're all guaranteed) and will cover all of her ranges.
-Dash attack that picks up a banana (and hits Diddy at like...anywhere between 20 and 60 % pretty much) --> glide toss down --> turn around dsmash.

In other words, the '1 laser = stock' and the '1 dash attack that picks up a banana = stock' are true because they lead into glide toss --> dsmash.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I agree with -1. Diddy's def. play is better, and the range/air-game ZSS has the advantage in doesn't matter.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Does ZSS Down B Flip Kick beat Diddy's Side B Flip kick/hump?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
ZSS' downB is transcendent, but it doesn't have much of a disjoint. So (I'm speculating here) if he kicks, we'll probably trade. If he goes for a jump, he'll get hit.

.EXE

Smash Apprentice
I think it beats it actually only in the beginning
Yeah I would agree with this I'm positive with this match up -1 the only thing that helped me in this Mu was staying away from bananas and especially if diddy did not have one I'd time my attack to when he was going to get the nana.

@ InfiniteV115 play Jebus or someone really REALLY good last I remembered I played him on frigate though it was the only time I played him it was just terrible 3 stocked bad bananas everywhere yet I was positive there were 4 of them.

Top Bottom