• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Advancing our Smash Skills feat. $50 MM Darklink (#1) vs K9 (#3)!!

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
Arizona Smash Scene Presents:
"University of Advancing our Smash Skills"

Presenting our new venue, the University of Advancing Technology in Tempe, AZ. :)

2625 W. BASELINE RD., TEMPE, AZ 85283

Conveniently located next to the U.S. 60 and the I-10.

Room: 206/207 (located on the second floor)

Schedule
12:00pm- Friendlies/Warmups
2:00pm- Side Tourney (Brawl: Low Tier Doubles) (Melee: Doubles)
4:00pm- Singles (Pools/Double Elimination Bracket)

Entry Fees
Singles: $5
Side Event: $5/person

Payouts
Singles:
1st 60%
2nd 30%
3rd 10%

Side Event:
1st 60%
2nd 30%
3rd 10%

And everyone who wins part of the pot money in Singles or Low Tier doubles in Brawl will also get a Pokemon plushy courtesy of Saffy!!

As if this tourney wasn't hype enough, Darklink (#1 in state) will be going against K9 (#3 in state) in a $50.00 money match (best of 7)! You won't want to miss this!

Tournament Organizer contact info
Brawl head TO: Luis (RaveRemix) 480-522-6912
Melee head TO/Brawl co-TO: Shawn (K9) 480-343-6799
Melee co TO: Rob (OkamiBW)

Brawl Ruleset: The Japanese Ruleset

General Rules:
1. 3 stocks
2. 10-minute timer
3. Best-of-3 sets (WF, LF, and GF will be Best-of-5)
4. Double elimination
5. All items off
6. Team attack on
7. Changing controls allowed
8. Pause is turned off

Limiting Rules/Bans:
1. No using infinites for stalling purposes
2. No bugs/glitches of any kind
3. No Infinite Dimensional Cape (incidental use of IDC is tolerable)
4. Ledge grab limit of 50
5. No scrooging (player may travel under the stage once from the ledge)
* "Traveling under the stage once from the ledge" is defined as dropping off the ledge on one side of the stage and reaching the height of the original ledge on the other side of the stage.
Exceptions to Rule 5:
When one of the players is attacked by the other and takes damage.
[There is one other exception, but I don't understand it. I'll update this once I get a clarification from RAIN, or if someone else can figure out what it means from the Japanese version.]

Stages:
Starter:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville

Counterpick:
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1

Set Format:
Game 1:
1. Stage-striking order and controller ports are determined by Rock-Paper-Scissors
2. Rock-Paper-Scissors loser strikes one of the three Starter stages
3. Rock-Paper-Scissors winner strikes one of the remaining two Starter stages
4. Players select their characters (players may elect to have a double-blind character selection)

Game 2 (and so on):
1. Loser may select controller port
2. Winner may ban a stage from the Counterpick list
3. Loser selects one of the remaining stages
4. Winner chooses character
5. Loser chooses character
6. Repeat steps 1-5 until the set is decided

Timeouts:
In the event that a match goes to time, the victor will be decided by the following steps, in order:
1. Number of ledgegrabs (if one player exceeds 50 ledgegrabs, that player will be declared the loser)
2. Number of remaining stocks
3. Amount of damage percent
4. If stocks and damage percent identical, the match will be replayed on the same stage, with each player at one stock.

Melee Ruleset

Stage List

Singles

Starter Stage List:
• Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
• Past Stages: Dream Land
• Special Stages: Final Destination
• Special Stages: Battlefield
• Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
• Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
• Planet Zebes: Brinstar
• Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
• Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Teams

Starter Stage List:
• Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
• Past Stages: Dream Land
• Special Stages: Final Destination
• Special Stages: Battlefield
• Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
• Planet Zebes: Brinstar
• Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
• Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

General Rules
• Items are set to off.
• Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
• Regular sets are best of 3 matches.
• The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
• Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
• Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
• Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
• Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.
• Wobbling and the freeze glitch are officially 100% banned at these tournaments.
• Tai's Stupid Rule: Mewtwo's Soul Breaker glitch is, in fact, legal. How to get a Red Shell while not interfering with General Rule #1 is up to you!

Additional Rules for Teams Play
• Life Stealing is allowed
• Set team attack to ON

Redwood Counter Pick System
1. Blind Picks character selection.
2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 1 order.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

Recommendations to Tournament Hosts (a.k.a. Other Notes)
• Players are responsible for their own general welfare in regards to the tournament. In other words, players are responsible for:
1. Being familiar with the rule set and stage list
2. Entrance and venue fees
3. Arriving on time
4. Maintaining personal hygiene
5. Controllers and Character Knowledge
6. Minimizing Johns

• Sets are usually based on brackets which may be seeded at the Tournament Host's discretion. If your tournament is any other format, make a note to advertise it accordingly.
• Some kind of stalling prevention is highly recommended. Since a definition of stalling is too potentially ambiguous here, all instances of stalling are determined by the Tournament Host.
• Unnecessary delays in a set should be discouraged. This can occur before (not playing a match) or during (taking an unnecessary amount of time to counter pick) and after (not reporting) a set that has been called. The Tournament Host is recommended to keep tabs on set completion.
• No more than the previous match should be replayed in the event of a rule violation and it is recommended that any disputes be brought promptly and quickly to the Tournament Host's attention.
• When running a pool, the game count of each set in pool play should be recorded (i.e. whether the set was 2-0 or 2-1). Ranking in a pool is determined by the number of sets won. In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker is the win/loss ratio of the individual games, where the higher ratio wins. In the event of a tie in both set victories and match-up ratios, the player who won the set between the disputed players should advance.
• The semi-final and championship sets should be in at least best of 5 format.
• Wireless controllers should be discouraged or banned because of interference, unreliability (battery life), and time hindrance.*
• The Tournament Host reserves the right at any time to make anyone leave the premises of the tournament.
• For all Melee tournaments, use of the character Metaknight is banned.
*Okami’s note: However, they may be used at players’ own risk.

Okami’s Additions to the Rules/Info:
• Trash talking by the audience during sets that are not semifinals or grand finals are discouraged, but allowed. Individuals (aside from the Tournament Host) in the audience may be silenced by any of the players participating in a tournament match at any time.
• Trash talking during semifinals and grand finals are allowed. Same rule as stated above applies. This is the ONLY time pausing is allowed and players who choose to pause for this reason may be disqualified at the Tournament Host’s discretion.
• Clean up after the tournament.
• Individuals may not undermine commentators while the microphone is recording.

Taj's Better Rule
You may choose to ban a neutral or all counterpicks.

These rules are copied and pasted from the MBR Official Rule Set topic. A few small modifications have been made to fit the tournament better. Those who do not abide by these rules are subject to consequences determined by the Tournament Host. Any other questions or comments about the tournament may be posted here!

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
As a heads up everyone, there's no TVs at the venue so we will definitely need to bring our own if possible. Other than that, this is pretty much THE perfect venue. :)

As an additional note, this is the first tournament for the Brawl season. Let's pull some major upsets this season guys. :D

Saffy

Smash Ace
I am sure I'll be there! :D Hype.

I'll bring a set-up if needed. Oh and I will provide plushies for these placings:

Low Tier Doubles: 1st through 3rd place, meaning each person on the team gets one. lol
Regular Singles : I'll do top 4 for that.

So yeah a total of 10 !

Anyone want to team for low tier?

Govikings07

Smash Journeyman
stevo might have to watch out saffys zelda may take lucas' heart!

i can bring 2 tvs in my car more if i dont drive as many people.

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
hehehe im probably the closest to this venue finally dont have to drive as much <3
Haha you deserve it man for driving me around all those times. <3

i can bring 2 tvs in my car more if i dont drive as many people.
Thanks man. Actually I was hoping to bring that giant-*ss TV that we used to bring back in the day since we might be a little short on TVs.

OMG yes plushies i want them nao im so going to try and make it to this.
F yes. Although it seems like everyone wants the plushies as much as you do! :)

I am sure I'll be there! :D Hype.

I'll bring a set-up if needed. Oh and I will provide plushies for these placings:

Low Tier Doubles: 1st through 3rd place, meaning each person on the team gets one. lol
Regular Singles : I'll do top 4 for that.

So yeah a total of 10 !
You're freaking awesome. :) And yeah, we can definitely use an extra setup, usually we have way too few.

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
^That might be possible, I'll talk with James (the President of the Fighting Games Club at UAT/the person who's helping me get this tourney set up) about it.

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
And everyone who wins part of the pot money in Singles or Low Tier doubles will also get a Pokemon plushy courtesy of Saffy!!
Do I get to pick my plushie or are they awarded randomly? Either way I'm up for winning one.
If you don't find a partner I'll team with you Saffy, I usually just team with whoever can't find a partner in time. This goes for anyone else reading this as well.

Herro you better make it man, I want to see a Lucario play for once. >:[

Also, if someone can give me a ride that would be great.

One-Up

Smash Apprentice
if i go to this im bringing my wario plushy thats half my size. its so legit. btw low teirs suck... for one of our side events we need to do stamina or smashball! for fun!

RaveRemix

Smash Journeyman
@Chris
Even with the lower entry fee, there's still enough money to distribute it to a 4th person. In a tournament of 20 entrants, it would only mean 1st and 2nd would receive $5 less, which really isn't asking for a lot. In a talented scene such as ours, getting 4th place is still quite the accomplishment.

@Duff0
We've held side tourneys before main events in the two years I've been in the scene, and it has always worked out well.

@Wafty
Haha, actually I guess I'll go ahead and bring my Toon Link plushy with me then. :)

Duff0

Smash Ace
my memories sucks butthole but i cant really remember doing that a single time at any tournament ive ever been to

lusiris

Smash Apprentice
I will be able to make it to this venue. If anyone from Tucson needs a ride I have room for 2-3 more people. I also want to do some low tier MM's if anyone is interested. Just $1 but it will be fun.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
no payout to 4th!

extra saffy hype for this though

And it's closer the the freeway than Shawn's so that'll be cool

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
I totally forgot about that Yummy.

Herp derp.

Yes we're still teaming Yummy, I had a brain fart. xD

k9.

Smash Ace
I would rather do regular doubles or low tier singles, because low tier doubles is boring to me.

Saffy

Smash Ace
Random doubles is fun too >.> Atleast in my opinion. I remember about 2 years ago we hosted one , I had a lot of fun teaming with Chris.

IMO Random Doubles > Low Tier Doubles > Random Singles > Doubles > Low Tier Singles > Singles

EDIT: I will also Money match anyone for $1-5 in random singles :p

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Me and Lance are coming. Kyle team with me if we do low tiers...

I wanna plushie...

Anybody looking to mm my ice climbers, mk, and gdubs? They all need practice

:phone:

Top Bottom