• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Life as a Foreigner "Living in Japan"

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Link to original post: [drupal=5141]My Life as a Foreigner[/drupal]

Hey everyone,

I have debated for some time about doing a blog about this and, while there is a lot of material to write about, I wasn't sure how well received it would be or if anyone would even be interested. However, I sat down and decided to start writing my experiences being a foreigner here in Japan regardless if it is well received. I would like this to be a platform to showcase some the interesting aspects of Japan, living here as a foreigner, studying/working, and other oddities that I find here and there.

[COLLAPSE="Table of Contents"]4/15 - The Japanese Population Decline: "Pandora's Box"
4/16 - Only in Japan
4/25"Racism in Japan: How to Teach my Students that Racism is Bad"
5/9"Partying in up in Japan: Office Worker Style"
5/23 Driving in Japan: Third Time is a Charm...Truly
6/22 Teaching in Japan: Students, Teachers, and I
http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac113/LostVoice1/IMG_1827.jpg[/IMG]]Living in Japan: My Living Experiences[/COLLAPSE]

As for myself, this is my fourth time being in Japan. The previous times were as an exchange student through various exchange programs as well as just traveling by myself. (coming up to 2 However, I never lived here for more than 8 months so this has been my longest stay (coming up to two years) within this country and it's been one hell of a roller coaster. I hope to recount what I found here in Japan and it is my intention, for those reading, to take something out of it.

Additionally, I would like to open up the blog for people to ask questions, comment, or present their views on anything concerning Japan. For example, those who are interested in studying/working in this country. Since this is a SSB forum and many forum members seem to be half-interested in Japanese products, I hope you find this blog interesting; just as much as how I found it fun to write.

My very first blog post concerns a issue very dear to me and something that the Japanese government has addressed but not fully I believe.

The Japanese Population Decline: "Pandora's Box"

Japan has one of the lowest fertility rates in the world. Statistics show that the fertility rate is 1.34 where the world average is 2.1. That means fewer and fewer couples are having children. In fact, the current death has now surpassed the birth rate in 2011; a trend that has started since 2007/2008 when the global recession began to hit. As well, it has even begun to pick up in n alarmingly rate with the current 2011 consensus showing a birth rate of 8.3 and a death rate of 9.9. It is not a secret that Japan has one of the highest life expectancy in the world (currently its 86 years old) and I have met a feel centurions since being here. However, these people are slowly dying out and what's left is a diminished population.

This can have a huge profound effect on Japanese society. I don't think I need to detail what would happen if such a huge population suddenly starts to shrink and at an alarming rate. While it's a baseless rumor, many are saying (journalists, critics, commentators, scholars, bloggers, etc) that within a 100 years, Japan could cease to exist as a country OR the Japanese people as a distinct race of people could "disappear". Will this ever happen? Most likely not but, given the current trend, it's entirely plausible if the country continues down this dark road.

So the Japanese people aren't having sex is all? In some cases it's true. Japan has a vibrant and active sex industry as well as tens of thousands "love hotels" (which ARE AWESOME!! Rotating mirrored beds FTW!). The sad part is while Japan is having sex; it's not with the wives/husbands. The Japanese people enjoy a vibrant sex life with their boyfriend/girlfriend during the dating stages. However, once the two are married, sex only becomes a way to procreate and once that's finished, sex never occurs (that is a over-generalization but a trend I see in many Japanese males I know). My friend, "Yuji", is married with two kids. He is a High School teacher and an aspiring DJ artist where I live. He seems happy and fairly content with his life...until I meet him in the bar with his tongue half way down a chick and fondling the **** of another chick. The sad truth is that Japanese people have sex after marriage but with other partners.

According to Yuji, he has sex a couple times a month but he hasn't had sex with his actual wife since his last son's birth which was nearly 4 years ago. As well, according to him, it's perfectly fine for his wife that they don't have sex (or so he says :/ ). This kind of goes hand in hand with the "Shooting Ourselves in the Nuts" thread. Japanese women are very sexually repressed. The girls who are sexually active and enjoy their sexuality are usually preyed on by these married men looking for an easy ****. And they give it out fairly easily. Why? In order to get something from this married man whether it be jewelry, money, or favors.

I mentioned before that "Yuji"'s wife knows he cheats on her and she is ok with it. I am not saying every Japanese wife is ok with their husbands sleeping around. However, a common thing I see between couples that have been married for quite some time is that the women acknowledged their husband sleeps with other women and seemingly "forgets" about it and, possibly, sees it as a positive thing because they do not have to have sex with their husband. It's a sad but common thing I see between married women. Why have sex when the one thing motivating sex, procreation, is no longer a common goal? That is th emindset, I think of many married Japanese females. A common joke among other foreigners is that marrying a Japanese women is suicide to your sex life. While it's a somewhat cruel joke, it has a hint of truth. This is because women, from childhood to adult, is told sex is not enjoyable and only meant to make children.

My girlfriend and I enjoy a active sex life but it did take her a while to be open to it...or even talk/share about it to each other. Anything sexual made her feel embarrassed and dirty which is a horrible thing to think but it is prevalent in most Japanese females. Women, who generally aren't embarrassed about sexual things, are considered very un-Japanese and many Japanese men prefer their women "child-like". They like the embarrassing/naive/child-like nature of their women. Which explains why I was at my favorite bar recently and talking to the bar master when a couple came in (a girl and guy) and the girl, 22, had a disturbingly high, child-like voice that made me want to take a icepick and nail it into my head. All the while, the guy kept stroking her hair while saying "Cute....So cute....Like a doll." After they left, I pretended to make a gagging sound and the bar master said she was actually 35 and that entire "child nature" was an act. The guy likes girls like those....cute, stupid, and flirty without being ****ty.

I know I am getting off the rabbit trail so allow me to return to the main subject: Japan's diminishing population. The Japanese government, in 2008, began a program of offering new parents money to help support a child since it does take a overwhelmingly amount of money and time to rear a child. Families are offered 26,000 yen a month (roughly $250) up until middle school. Again, I have heard this program was terminated but a Google search has yielded nothing so I'll look more into it. However, many critics of this plan say this does not encourage couples to procreate and have babies because of society itself ecnourages couples to not procreate. In fact, many critics have contended that many Japanese just don't have time or too tired to have sex.

And that can be attributed to the Japanese work society. This is an entirely different subject and a post I would like to write about later but Japanese society has a very grueling and rigid work society that demands a good portion of your time. One example of this is one of my coworkers who skipped the birth of his son because of his work. He was proud of what he did since he put work before family. He said it's the Japanese thing to do. Whether that is true or not, I don't know but it's highly ****ed up.

Being too tired/not even time for sex is attributed to this intense work society. Compounded with high expenses, recessions, and loveless marriages; it's no wonder why Japan has one of the most alarming population decrease in the world. And the common Japanese doesn't even seemed bothered by it. I mentioned it to a co-worker and highlighted some of the points I've mentioned in this blog, and he said "Well, it can't be helped. But as always, we will do our best and persevere." That seems to be the general attitude to everything from working on a Sunday, missing your son's birth, being late to your friends birthday party, or a natural disasters like an earthquake hitting and devastating a good portion of the northern half of the country (which will be addressed later).

Oh, and many women, as of late, have opted not to get married or even date. I know of a 36-year old women who refuses to date because 1) married life is horrible, 2) she doesn't want kids, 3) she likes her career, and last 4) men are dangerous and can't be trusted. So, she lives with her parents and is the vice-principal of my school. She works from 6 am to 11 pm Monday to Saturday. This has become an alarming trend in 25-40 year old women to stay at a parents house and worth from their.

I'm not saying Japanese women need to suck it up, put on a apron, and make their man a sandwich because that is exactly what is driving them away from being married: the curse of a house hold wife which, gradually, what happens. It can be quite depressing for a Japanese house wife: cook, clean, be a parent, watch tv, etc etc. Not to many women look forward to being a house wife and, if they do, it's a passing desire that dissolves when reality sinks in. According to my friend, "Yuji", when he was looking for a girlfriend to marry; he was looking for a cute, quiet girl that will make him dinner when he comes home from work and will take care of the kids. That and only that. That is why their marriage is loveless, sexless, and hopeless. They share no similarities and forces them to turn to other people for love. Sadly again, this seems to be the general mind set.

My last point and one of the ones I think drives the population decline most vividly is one of my schools that I teach English at. This school has two buildings and with with three stories each. Both buildings have three floors each. The population decline has hit the school so bad that in order to fill up the rooms, they closed down one of the buildings and then moved 1st and 2nd grade to the first floor, 3rd and 4th to the second floor, and 5th and 6th to the third floor. All of the students are condensed into a three story building. This was originally a school that had around 1,000 students, but now, only 450'ish attend.

How will this be fixed? Honestly, I don't know. Government hand outs don't seem to be working. The only way it can be improved is the recession to end and the world economy to start picking up. Once families start making good money, couples would be more inclined to get married and start popping out babies. You can also blame women independence which, usually, is a good thing. However, women aren't exactly being independent when they stay at their parents home until they are 35-40. What is to blame is the global recession, the lack of love and companionship found in a lot of marriages, and the lack of a combined effort of both the Japanese government and the Japanese people to address this "Pandora's Box" and try to figure out how to improve it.

Sadly, I see it going nowhere but downhill unless something drastic happens within Japanese society.

Thank you for taking time to read this blog and please let me know what you think or post your own story involving Japan! I appreciate the feedback regardless if its positive or negative.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Thanks Lord Chair. I am glad you go something from it. It is a real issue that Japan needs to address since the earthquake, tsunami, and the nuclear incident only made the issue worse.

Now, for something more humorous....

Ah crap. I just noticed that Hulk edited my picture. Well...it was of a giant wooden penis. My apologies. I figured it would of been ok.

I'll try and put something else up that is more kid friendly.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'm honestly just worried about my anime and manga. If japan disappears so does it D:

I'll also say males have also just started to just be satisfied with 2D girls from dating sims Also its probably cause of moe that caused childlike nature to be liked a lot.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I'm honestly just worried about my anime and manga. If japan disappears so does it D:
I would say I am whole lot more worried about the extinction of entire distinct racial group then by a product of its popular culture. Will it ever happen though...I don't think so.

As for guys preferring 2D girls over the real thing, while it is a matter of preference, these "creations" present the "perfect" girlfriend or the guys ideal girl. Why settle for someone you think is somewhat pretty when you can have a fictional girl, who you think is all yours to have, is your perfect ideal girl? While it does sound ****ed up, many males (even outside of Japan), have this mind set.

Moe is certainly a huge part of it but, I would say while itstems off from the Moe/Anime culture, but it is entirely not linked to it. Its the entire ideal in Japan that youth is a precious thing and something to covet in people. That entire Moe fetish of desiring younger girls only feeds the desire to experience ones youth again (having wasted in salving away at work and being married and having kids).

Many guys, and society in general, view women between the ages of 29 and upwards as (that is "Christmas Cake" (that is actually a word that is used to describe older women). Something that might look good at first glance but is horrible to taste and no one likes so its best to throw away. Hence why most older guys (30-upwards) try to find girls 18-22 to date and have sex with. Its a sad state of affairs. No wonder women are so wary of guys, find relationships as troublesome, and sex, within a marriage, as an duty or obligation.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Excellent read :) really enjoyed it.
I was waiting for something on the recent Tsunami, Earthquake, Nuke combo haha.

Hmm this is definitely interesting, I wonder how many other countries have a higher death rate then birth. I highly doubt the Japanese race will wither into nothingness, they'll bounce back along with the world economy.

The government handout scheme was used back in Australia as well called the "Baby Bonus", providing money for new parents to purchase much needed diapers and, strollers and cribs. Although there was some speculations these new parents were using the money to buy flat screen Tvs and go on holidays, ahh well so long as they made a baby the nations happy.

What exactly would be a solution to Japan's population decline?
It's not easy changing the mindset of a country and culture, and even so it would take a few generations to achieve significant change. Take in promiscuous refugees? Create new holidays celebrating mothers and fathers? Or something more direct like "baby making week".

Personally I find the whole act of women acting like they're 14 year old brats very unappealing and annoying.

KingOdd

Smash Rookie
Very nice post. I read through it all and quite enjoyed it. Keep posting. I would love to learn more about japan and its experiences :)

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Okay, so about this death rate thing, I totally doubt that they'll be extinct.

Personally, the population would go up and down. What goes down must come up and what comes up must go down.
Also, Japan isn't the only one going through this.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Okay, so about this death rate thing, I totally doubt that they'll be extinct.

Personally, the population would go up and down. What goes down must come up and what comes up must go down.
Also, Japan isn't the only one going through this.
It's entirely based off the global recession. It's affected America through the loss of jobs and its overall economy.

Japan has been affected through its overall economy, budget cuts, and increasing population decline. I imagine there is population declines throughout the world (save for China ><) but Japan seems to be one of the highest overall. If you interested, do a Google search on it (I would but I already late for work...)

So yeah, the Japanese people as a distinct race will probably never go extinct but, if this trend continues with no interference or obstructions, it could happen in a 100 or so years (though if there was a 100 year recession, we are all ****ed in my opinion). I would consider it a big problem and something that should be addressed, which the government has to an extent but, sadly, nothing has come out of it save for an increasing population decline.

I will be pretty busy this week but I will try to crank out another blog entry! I want to focus more of a light-hearted and party-esque aspect of Japanese culture so be prepared!

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I'm considering studying Japanese as a major so I really like your posts! It shows me a side of Japan that I'm completely ignorant of, one of the many actually. Very interesting!

:052:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Thanks! Japan is an amazing place with a rich culture, deep history, and wonderful people but, like any place, it has its shares of problems and issues. I hope to expose some of these issues and problems as well as exposing some aspects of Japan so that many people, who are interested in Japanese culture, can have a wider viewpoint of Japan's culture and society that isn't restricted to anime/manga/video games/technology/geisha/samurai/katana/sake/etc.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I think it's about time for another blog entry. I appreciate everyone's feedback about Japan's dwindling population. A lot of people brought up some interesting points and I got as much from them as I hope you got from my blog post.

Today's blog post is something I actually started drafting yesterday. I touched upon it in the "The Black Man's Burden" and would like to go more deeply into it in this blog post.

"Racism in Japan: How to Teach my Students that Racism is Bad"

NOTE: Please remember this entirely conjecture and based on my own thoughts. This is based from my experiences of living as a foreigner in Japan and, while I did do research, it's based entirely on my opinions and viewpoints concerning racism in Japan.

Firstly, I would like to straighten some things out. I am, by all appearances, white. In fact, I am white as in Cliffs of Dover white. However, my mother is half Japanese and I am quarter Japanese. I have been told I have Asian eyes (LOL) but my blue eyes probably counter-act my "Asianess" at first glance. To many and all Japanese, I am White.

So I am a white dude living in Japan. I am actually one of 8 people (that I know of); all white who are living in my city of 100,000+. There are other foreigners here as well - a lot of Chinese, Koreans, Filipinos, Thai, and Indonesian, some Russians and Eastern Europeans, some Brazilians, a little Indians, and very few Americans, Canadians, British, Australians, and Kiwi's. In fact, the only white westerners I know of are Americans, Kiwi's, Russians and Eastern Europeans and Canadians that live here. So, we are few in number.

So, I am a White male coming from Ohio in the US. I came from a mostly white town with very few minorities. It wasn't a huge shock when I saw a African-American or Indian-American when I was child but it wasn't something I was extremely used too. My parents properly reinforced me of racial issues as well as the schooling system. I never experienced Racism myself, though, and it was something I learned in school and never full comprehended it when I lived in Ohio. I knew about it, learned about, and understood it. I never engaged in racist/discriminatory acts and the thought of it always made me upset.

But I made the decision, applied for a teaching position, and moved to Japan roughly two years ago. Before that, I traveled in Japan for a few months at a time or was an exchange students with other foreign students in bigger cities. This was my first time living in rural Japan (yes, my city is considered as rural). Needless to say, for some people, I am the first foreigner they ever have seen, came in contact with, or talked to. It's quite the burden and something I have yet to fully grasp.

So, I started writing this draft yesterday after posting in the "The Black Man's Burden" and a recent experience with a bout of Racism in my 5th grade English class. We were watching 30 second videos from various countries yesterday. It showed various scenes of everyday life (people shopping, cars, day to day business) and then, at the end end, a child from that country would introduce themselves in their home language as well as in English. So, we moved around the map from America to Korea, China to Australia, India....and then to Kenya. Kenya.

My first class went well and ran with no problems. The kids were respectful and appeared enthusiastic. They even said "Goodbye" and waved when the child on the video said goodbye. Cute. However, in my 2nd class, the racism started. When the Kenyan video started, this kid, who is usually disruptive, automatically said "They look like the color of poop!" out loud. The response bought a bout laughter from both the students and even a chuckle from the teacher. The kid with his friends then repeated "chocolate, chocolate" throughout the video. He and others also made snide remarks concerning the Chinese and Indian section but this stuck out to me the most.

So my question for this blog post: is how do I [you] tell a Japanese student that racism is wrong and convey the gravity of it in a con-confusing way? You can explain Racism to the student but they may not understand in a context that applies to them. Racism exists within Japan but, it doesn't exist. There is a Japanese word for racism but, according to people I have asked, it doesn't carry as much weight as it does in English. Of course it has a negative connotation but it carries a sense of distance between the Japanese person and the word. From what I gather, racism is a Western problem and not exactly an issue in Japan. While this may sound absurd, its actually makes sense giving the population of ethnic Japanese living in Japan is 98.5% (CIA World Factbook).

Thus, Racism becomes a Western problem in a Japanese mind set. However, racism against non-Japanese is a issue and a problem that many Japanese, even those in power, ignore; on purpose or unconsciously. In order to understand how Racism is to a Japanese child, you must look at racism in Japan as a whole. will attempt to highlight ways it is a problem and, in the end, hope to provide examples on how to counter-act them and make them constructive tools to educate the issue of Racism.

The Curious Racist

This was gonna be the last I addressed but I decided it to make it the first. This is because it's not a negative aspect of racism but, it's still racism at the core. Many times I get people asking me "Do you like sushi?", "Can you speak Japanese?", "Can you use chopsticks." In fact, I get these three questions several times a month. Even from people who have asked these questions before and just forget what my answer was. They assume most foreigners are unable to do these things. They are curious about foreigners and, in some cases, I or another foreigner may be the first one they have ever seen or talked to. I try to keep that in mind when I meet new people or when a curious person becomes tad bit too curious.

That happens when any questions I direct to the "curious racist" is blocked and are re-directed to me in force. This person is so interested in me, who I am, what I am, and what I do that it becomes offensive, suffocating, and, in my opinion racist. They overly assume that I have no ****ing clue about Japan and it's culture so they try to "educate" me about it. They usually talk to me in very broken and hard to understand English and I respond back in Japanese. It usually shocks them to hear me speak in Japanese but, sadly, they don't comprehend it. Because they keep using broken English as if speaking to me in that way will help me understand. It makes it even harder to understand. It is almost like they can't comprehend that I speak Japanese and therefore, when I do, I am actually not.

In another situation, some Japanese people are only curious because you are foreign. Not curious in who you are as a person but only because of your foreignness. When I talk to someone, I am not curious because they are from a certain part of Japan. I am curious as to who they are as a human being.

I was at a work party one night when two of the older (mid 40's) school office ladies approached me. They asked the usual questions "Do I like sushi" and "Can I use chopsticks". I answered them in Japanese that I can eat sushi and eat it weekly and can use chop sticks hut I am not very good. I got a very distant response "Oh, I see" from them. They then started asking me questions concerning living in America (If I have ever shot a gun, If I know Ken Watanabe (a Japanese actor) or if I have ever been to Tokyo....I said no, yes, and yes for the questions). They kind of looked at each other after my response and did a fake nervous laugh.

What they said after shocked me the most: "This foreigner is boring". They then excused themselves politely and moved on to another group of teachers. I was left dumbfounded, numb, and slightly angry. It ruined the evening. Just because I can speak Japanese, can use chopsticks, and know a Japanese actor - I am a boring foreigner. I found it ironic that because of my attempt to somewhat integrate myself into Japanese culture (which I am expected to by many Japanese), I am labeled a boring foreigner. It can be maddening at times.

Curious Racists don't mean to be racist and are ignorant to that fact they are being racist. They are just curious and want to know more but, ultimately, end up alienating the foreigner and discouraging cross cultural exchange because the foreigner feels less welcomed and the Japanese are not interested in a "boring foreigner" who is knowledgeable in Japanese customs and practices and, therefore, not as foreign. This also applies to the Alluring Racist in a way.

Solution
I usually try to answer their questions but, often, I attempt to turn the discussion on them. "Do you know San Francisco?" "Have you ever eaten spaghetti" or "Do you know Bill Crosby?" I sometimes get a "No" but I get a lot of "yes"s and sometimes, they are often put out by the question I asked the.. I sometimes get "Of course I have eaten spaghetti. Spaghetti is popular in Japan!" I don't mean to make them angry but I hope that, by turning it onto them, they understand that those questions that they ask are very hollow and empty.

This type of racism occurs world wide. However, I want to focus the Japanese variety. Some Japanese automatically assumes that a White foreigner is from America or Europe and a Black foreigner is from Africa (yes even Indians and Middle Easterners).

They assume that people of color are from a certain country and there is no way they can be from another. This is due to a lack of knowledge pertaining countries and the different races from around the world. That is, in itself, ignorance. For example, I am White but I tell them I am from South Africa. It takes them a while to comprehend that white people live in Africa. They assume that, by what they learned and hear, people of different color come from different parts of the world. They just can't seem to understand that.

They will also ask many questions; oblivious to how uncomfortable it makes the foreigner feel. I have gotten questions like "Have you shot someone before", "Do you know Tom Cruise", "You look like "another foreigner"", and "Since you are a foreigner, you must have a huge penis." All of these are ignorant stereotypes that many Japanese place on foreigners.

The "Have you shot someone before" comes about because of shows like COPs (yes they watch it) and assume that every American owns and shoots guns. Guns are banned by law in Japan save for people with special permits, police and military, and the yakuza (Japanese mafia). They assume America is basically Gang Land.

"Do I know Tom Cruise" comes from many Japanese thinking that Americans know their celebrities. Just because I live in America, I am buddy buddy with Lady Gaga. They become surprised that I have never even seen her in person.

"You look like "another foreigner"" is one I get a lot. Many Japanese confused one foreigner from another because, in their viewpoint, we all look similar. I have been mistaken for a wide range of other foreigners (whom I know and look nothing a like too). They become extremely surprised and even offended when sometimes foreigners confuse a two Japanese people and think they look the same.

"Since you are a foreigner, you must have a huge penis" comes from a popular belief that foreigners all have huge penises. When I give a introduction at schools, that is the number one question "What is my penis size". I have been spied on by students while I go to the bathroom to see if they can see my penis. They want to see if it's true. Ironically, Japanese people are constantly comparing themselves to Western standards. They assume that, because I am a foreigner, I prefer huge boobs and shaved ****ies. Now, I would like to point out this isn't exactly detrimental to society but, at it's base, it is ignorance and a failure to understand the big picture. As well, it causes frustration and alienation to most foreigners and, after being asked the penis question for the 999th time, it gets old and annoying.

Solution
I always try to educate my students about common misconceptions (besides the penis size) in the classroom. I usually tell them I have never hold a gun or met a celebrity. My belief is that if you drill this into kids heads at a younger age, you nip the racist bud that may bloom later on. As for older people, I just answer my questions and try to dispel any misconceptions they have about foreigners in a polite but firm way. I think a mainstream effort made by the Japanese government or local governments to attempt to educate people about foreign cultures and customs could help the Japanese people integrate into a "global culture" mentality. Sad thing is that not everyone is interested or accepting of foreigners.

Ahh the blatant racist. That racist prick who spat at me while I rolled by on my bike, that punk *** ****er who told me to "Go back home, foreigner", or that old lady who muttered "Stupid foreigner" under her breathe because I was asking too many questions at the post office. I happen to occur these people a lot and sadly, it's a good majority of people. Luckily, my students are never Blatant Racists. I would say they fall under Ignorant since they are too young to know better. As well, they've had more experience with foreigners than older people.

You will find a Blatant Racist is older people 60+ years and in un-educated middle age men and women. These type of racists are set in their ways and make no attempt to change them or be politically correct. Any attempts to educate or help them only ends with them angry or just blowing you off.

One time I was riding my bike and a old man spat at me. I slowed down and looked at him questioningly. He called me a "filthy foreigner" and proceeded to walk off. I was more confused than mad but it ate at me as I rode my bike home. Another time I was at a bar with some friends. This one drunk dude came up to us and said for us to go home (in English of all languages). We kind of looked at him and the bartender to try to diffuse the situation. In the end, he was dragged out of the bar while cussing us out and telling us that we were not wanted in Japan. After that, the entire bar became quiet and we felt largely unwelcomed.

Blatant Racists takes all the stereotypes of foreigners and hold them in contempt. Foreigners are the reason why Japan has issues, foreigners are to blame, foreigners are taking Japanese women (oh yeah...some Japanese guys hate and will talk **** about a Japanese girl being seen with a foreigner).

My friends and I took a trip to Hiroshima during a 4-day weekend last Fall. This was my fourth trip to the city so I was acting as tour guide for my friends. We were walking in the Peace Park when a man of 50's years of age walked up to us and started asking us questions.

At first, they were harmless questions of where we were from, what we were doing, why we were here, etc in fairly good English. We told him we were English teachers and teaching in Japan. That is when our conversation took a turn for the worst when he said "Japan doesn't need foreign teachers, we can teach ourselves." We responded with "Well, we help with pronunciation, phonics, and introducing foreign culture to students." The guy then argued that "Japan doesn't need any of that and we should just go home."

We didn't want to be rude and listened him until he asked us "How do you feel coming to this place? Happy, embarrassed, ashamed, or do you even care? You Americans did that to our city.'" At this point, we began to try and excuse ourselves and ignore him but he followed us for a few minutes before giving up. We saw him yelling at another group of foreigners twenty minutes later. It was obvious that he was trying to start **** and get a reaction in order to prove something. Whether that something is that foreigners are bunch of violent misfits, don't give a **** about Japan, or that they un-sympathetic towards what happened in Hiroshima, I do not know but I got that vibe as he talked.

I feel there isn't really any help with these people and thus no solution to educate them. Therefore, it's my hope that yy talking, teaching, and interacting with younger students will help students not turn into blatant racists in the future.

Ohhh boy..The Alluring Racist. Well, maybe calling them racist is a bit harsh but they aren't exactly politically correct angels either. I have met some of these type before and wanted to shoot myself after. These are the type that seek out ONLY foreign guys and girls to date, marry, or just ****. This obscure branch of racism occurs in every country. Some my argue it isn't racism but, in my opinion, it's racism . They hyper-sensualize every part of that ethnicity to the point it becomes a exaggeration. I would say that "French women are better than German women" is stating that a certain race is more superior than another. Sure, you are stating a preference but, at it's core, it is preferring one race over another race and establishing that one race is superior than another. But that is another debate.

In Japan, a women who targets solely foreigners is called a "gaijin hunter". This can be attributed to guys as well but it applies mostly to females (gaijin meaning foreigner). I have had the privileged of meeting some of these type of girls and usually my opinion is not exactly good. They are usually air-headed 30+ year olds that like to bang foreigners because it makes them feel better about themselves, more cultural (after having a foreign penis in them), and superior to other females who bag exclusively Japanese dudes. It's the entire foreign novelty. Some girls just eat it up and love it.

However, if they guy appears to be too "Japanese" (can speak decent Japanese, showcases Japanese customs, can eat sushi), they immediately drop the guy and look for more foreign men. In fact, a common trick used by foreign guys to pick up Japanese women is to totally act like a stupid foreigner that has no clue what Japan is even though that guy might be fluent in the language and has lived in the country for years. I have done it just to see if it worked and it does work.

However, how it is received is entirely up to the foreigner. Some foreigners look for gaijin hunters because it's an easy **** and, in most cases, it doesn't become a long project. However, my 23 year old British friend began sexing it up with a 35 year old gaijin hunter with a kid. Pretty soon, they were having tons of sex and she was buying him **** in exchange for sex. Now, he can't get rid of her, she's been trolling and stalking him, and quit her job so she can move to England with him in the summer (without him knowing until she quit). Sad story but true and my friend has no idea what he should do when she showed up on his doorstep with her kid and belongings.

So, it can be considered racism depending on your situation and perspective. I guess it is a gray area but I decided to add it up here anyways.

Solution
None really. Everyone is going to have their preferences. It depends on the foreign how to handle the situation: if they want a non-gaijin hunter girlfriend or a gaijin-hunter who will have sex with him/her solely based on their foreignness.

This one does not apply to a single person but to an establishment. This is the most visible one and one of the most controversial. There are many establishments that refuse to service, welcome, or help any foreigners. Some of them have signs such this:

No, don't expect to see a sign like that in every establishment in Japan. In occurs fairly rarely and usually in the country...but they do exist and the rules are upheld tightly. A establishment cannot be legally punished for refusing, discriminating, or separating a foreigner from his or her establishment. Basically it means that if you were to walk into a store that does not allow foreigners, the owner has every right to kick you out, refuse service, increase the amount of your bill, or even separate you from his other customers without fear from being punished by the government; even if the foreigner challenges it.

After having an intense and ongoing relationship with traveling in Japan for 4 years plus; I have encountered this a total of four times. The first time was going into a bar with some friends from my exchange program school. It was me, three other foreigners, and two Japanese. The bartender said it was a Japanese only bar (despite it not being a sign which there should be) and refused entrance to us.

The second time was when I went to a hot spring with a Japanese guy friend. We drove 2 hours to get there and found that the owners did not allow foreigners to enter nor people with piercings or tattoos since they are afraid that they would frighten other guests. My friend tried to vouch for me but they refused and threatened to call the police.

The third time was in another hot spring last year when I went by myself. I was refused admittance right off the bat.

The last time and most recent was when my girlfriend and I tried to rent a hotel room at a beach house for Golden Week (basically Japan's week long national holiday aka Spring Break). She was just about done with booking when she was interrupted. Apparently, the owner doesn't rent out to foreigners because he is afraid that foreigners will walk into the hotel room, from the beach, with their shoes on. Some random foreigner did it 6 years ago and he still hasn't forgotten it.

Most establishments ban foreigners because they think foreigners don't understand Japanese customs, they cause disturbances, scare customers, and generally **** everything up.

Solution
The Japanese Government could introduce a law that punishes establishments from refusing service or admittance to foreigners. However, this would be met with wide spread criticism and a back lash against the foreign community. As well, I mentioned earlier that Racism isn't a huge issue among Japanese as a whole. So any action in favor for foreign rights would never come about because it would be unpopular and controversial. So, there isn't really a solution for this save for helping educate people about racial issues and their affect on the foreign community.

I want to go back to my original question: How do I tell my students that Racism is wrong? I mentioned earlier that Japanese don't necessarily view racism, within Japan, as a negative thing. That is obviously evident from the lack of laws that punishes establishments from admitting foreigners. As well, parents aren't exactly the best model because the parents might be the source of the students racial problems.

The solution lies with teachers and education. However, the problem is that even teachers are so uneducated about foreign affairs, customs, myths, and misconceptions. They are just as uninformed as a non-teacher. Even Japanese Teachers who teach English and work with foreign English teachers often fall victim to stereotyping foreigners and assuming things. Therefore, it falls of the foreigners to create a positive reinforcement and attitude to Japanese-foreign relations. Foreigners, who are in teaching positions, should portray a positive image of foreigners without accusing or pointing fingers. Slowly introduce the concept of racism through compare and contrasts situations in the West and Japan. Before this can take place though, teachers must be re-educated and informed of growing racial issues. They are on the fore-front of educating Japan's youth and should understand important racial issues in and out of Japan. Especially if Japan's government is trying to turn Japan into a "global community".

Incidents such as the 1995 Okinawa **** and 2008/2009 **** cases as well illegal activities by foreigners. Therefore, the solution lies with foreigners themselves. Once foreigners begin making a name for themselves, them healing and positive image reinforcement can begin.

I am not saying the burden lies solely on foreigners. The U.N. Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination critiqued Japan's increasing but slow improvement in racial relations.

So in short (and I guess I could of just said this in the start of the blog), racism is a strong and deep seeded issue within Japan that was never properly addressed and usually glossed over by Japanese, government, local, and citizens alike. Therefore, Japanese who are in positions of power and the foreign population should strive to encourage and reinforce a positive image of foreigners so **** like this never appears in stores again. Thus, in the end, an importance should be placed on the youth of Japan to help them become more knowledgeable in racial issues within their own country since they are the future of Japan.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I really enjoy this blog. You're posts are well thought out, and your love and criticisms of Japan are both fair. I hope you continue posting about your experiences.

I suppose it's somewhat to be expected that in a country as racially and ethnically homogenous as Japan that racism would exist, and be largely unchallenged, if for no other reason than there are very few people to challenge it. I think that's a problem, but it's also reality. One of the points of the Black Man's Burden thread (and maybe one I didn't articulate well) is that, for a great deal of the world, their only exposure to some ethnic groups comes from the media of places like America (after all, America's second largest export is media), and when we show nothing but white faces, or minorities in stereotyped roles, this is what ethnically isolated places like Japan take as fact.

I'm saddened that a little Japanese boy thinks a little Kenyan boy looks like poop, but I'm not surprised. I am legitimately shocked though by insanity like this. Blackface and watermelon stereotypes are specifically American, so we can't blame them on anyone else. We've projected this into the world, and for whatever reason, it has resonated with the people of South Korea. I imagine that Japanese opinions of African Americans aren't much better.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I'm saddened that a little Japanese boy thinks a little Kenyan boy looks like poop, but I'm not surprised. I am legitimately shocked though by insanity like this. Blackface and watermelon stereotypes are specifically American, so we can't blame them on anyone else. We've projected this into the world, and for whatever reason, it has resonated with the people of South Korea. I imagine that Japanese opinions of African Americans aren't much better.
I don't have a picture but there is a store in Korea called "Blackface" and caters to "ghetto" fashion styles. As well, my friends and I walked into a store that sold exclusive Black face merchandise, voodoo merchandise, and African masks. We were both appalled, offended, and laughing hysterically that a shop like that exists. A year later and we returned to that same spot and the store was gone and a new one was put in it's place (a nail salon to be exact).

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Again, a solidly structured post with invaluable content. I feel somewhat sorry for not being able to paraphrase the positive feedback, I find it hard to articulate it in any other way. I reiterate: do continue posting.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Racism is everywhere though. America has laws against it which is why you don't see public displays of it. Japan probably hasn't has the issue come up yet on a grand scale.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I was very well aware of racial issues in Japan years ago. Reading this blog helped me to get a more detailed look at it from the point of view of a foreigner. Granted, it may not be a common issue, the fact that it's there and the government does nothing about it is indeed an eye-opener for those who are otherwise unaware of the problem... among other things. Nice read.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Like everyone has said already, very interesting.

it makes me wonder what a Japanese person in the US would say about us.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Good blog entry; I liked it. Also, it seems like we could need gaijin hunters to help with the dwindling Japanese population if they're like the woman your British friend was with. :troll:
I LOl'd at that one. However, it is a legimitate solution! The only problem is then they become Half babies (Half Japanese and another race) and that becomes an entirely new issue (and racial issue as well). Halfs (seriously, they call them "halfs" in Japan) are seen in a gray point of view. They are neither bad nor good. But that is an entirely new blog post altogether.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df1FmYBJMtY

That's kind of an interesting video that might be relevant.
Excellent point! Shibuya 109 is a crazy place to shop but it always gave me headaches. Many Japanese take a particular fashion trend from a certain area of the world or ethnicity and try to emulate it. While they are successful, it essential becomes a Japanese thing then. Emo hair back at home as a standard hair style in Japan for example.

Again, a solidly structured post with invaluable content. I feel somewhat sorry for not being able to paraphrase the positive feedback, I find it hard to articulate it in any other way. I reiterate: do continue posting.
Thank you as always! I appreciate the feedback!

Racism is everywhere though. America has laws against it which is why you don't see public displays of it. Japan probably hasn't has the issue come up yet on a grand scale.
There have been several individuals such as Debito Arudou, a American foreigner who has been a thorn in the side of every law passed against foreigners. I know he one a case where they forced a particular hot spring to allow foreigners in but, as a whole, Japan feels him as a radical nut case. He does fight for foreigner rights but he does it in a very extremist way.

Explain Nazi rallies to me. Or Black Panthers.

America has laws against "hate crimes" and discrimination, it does not have "laws against racism".
Exactly. I think that is what Ussi was trying to say. As long as it doesn't trend on violent, disruptive, or illegal acts - it's ok.

I was very well aware of racial issues in Japan years ago. Reading this blog helped me to get a more detailed look at it from the point of view of a foreigner. Granted, it may not be a common issue, the fact that it's there and the government does nothing about it is indeed an eye-opener for those who are otherwise unaware of the problem... among other things. Nice read.
Racial issues have been around for a long time and have relatively remained the same since the 70's with slight improvements. However, not many foreigners are seen in the more remote areas of the country and, if there is one, he is usually getting stared at hardcore. I know the government is trying to make Japan into a more global community. They are doing this by trying to bring in more foreign markets and trade, more foreign specialists and professionals, and begin teaching English as a school subject from 3rd Grade instead of 5th Grade. We'll see how it pans out in the next 10 years.

Like everyone has said already, very interesting.

it makes me wonder what a Japanese person in the US would say about us.
It is my guess that a Japanese person, who has come to the US for the first time, quickly learns and understands the racial issues in the US (fully or basically). As well, most Japanese know who Martin Luther King Jr. is and Obama is a pretty popular and famous figurehead here (I get "Yes, We Can!" at least once a month from students). That is the thing though. They know what Racial issues are but it is a Western concept and issue. Not a Japanese issue.

Thank you everyone for commenting and posting in the blog! I hope I am being fair with criticizing issues in Japan. That has been one of my main goals while writing - to keep it fair and balanced towards these issues.

I will try to put up a blog entry by the end of this week because on Sunday, I will be going out traveling until Friday and I most likely won't have time to write a entry.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Racial issues have been around for a long time and have relatively remained the same since the 70's with slight improvements. However, not many foreigners are seen in the more remote areas of the country and, if there is one, he is usually getting stared at hardcore. I know the government is trying to make Japan into a more global community. They are doing this by trying to bring in more foreign markets and trade, more foreign specialists and professionals, and begin teaching English as a school subject from 3rd Grade instead of 5th Grade. We'll see how it pans out in the next 10 years.
I'd like to think 10 years will be enough time for Japanese society to near totally adapt to foreigners. It's not like foreigners are persecuted or anything, are they?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'd like to think 10 years will be enough time for Japanese society to near totally adapt to foreigners. It's not like foreigners are persecuted or anything, are they?
I doubt it. The only way I see it happening is that the Japanese are more exposed to all types of foreigners (also applies to any country, including the US) and not in stereotypical ways.

@Venus
I'm loving the blog posts. I've always wondered what it'd be like for me in particular if I were to ever go to Japan.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Not at all. Foreigners in Japan are often see and portrayed in a good light. However, many Japanese still have their own stereotypes and misconceptions (foreigners are a breeding ground for AIDS, they have huge penises, foreign women are easy, foreigners are extremely loud in public, etc). Bearing those in mind, some Japanese will go out there way to avoid sitting next to you on a train, move away from you on a sidewalk, and a other things of that nature. I even had a old lady who I sat next to on the train since there were a lack of seats. She looked at me, got up, and moved to another seat across from me and just stared.

But, as always, not all Japanese think like that and many embrace foreigners and think they are a positive facet of Japanese society.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
As someone who has put a decent amount of research into Japan, this all confirmed my ideas.

One point I have never found definitive answers about though, and that is high school life. Could you talk about some facets of it? It would be greatly appreciated.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
As someone who has put a decent amount of research into Japan, this all confirmed my ideas.

One point I have never found definitive answers about though, and that is high school life. Could you talk about some facets of it? It would be greatly appreciated.
I know a little bit about high school life but I don't work in high schools. I primarily work in junior highs, elementary schools, and special needs schools. However, during the summer, I attend weekend long English camps for high school students. So while I am too knowledgeable in high school and student's life, I have seen and hard a little about it from other high school English teachers. I'll try to make a post about it somewhere down the road.

While obviously anime/manga are works of fiction, scenes and series involving high school life is, for the most part, legit. I watched "The Girl who Leapt through Time" with my girlfriend for the first time recently and asked her if the scenes concerning high school and the students experiences is nostalgic. Her answer was basically yes and it reminds her of when she was in high school, for the most part.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Oh, that is quite interesting.

I always tried to disregard anime as a source, comparable to how MTV sketches the American daily life, haha.

Thanks for the quick response ;)

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Now that I think about it, any country that doesn't have a lot of foreigners would have this problem, I'd imagine. The older age group was still in the time period where certain races were considered inferior. It was a time period where being a certain nationality meant you represented the country you were from. This is substantiated by the story posted earlier about the guy in the part bringing up World War II because he was American. I think once the people in the American Baby-Boomers age group dies out, this problem will dramatically fall.

Thoughts?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Now that I think about it, any country that doesn't have a lot of foreigners would have this problem, I'd imagine. The older age group was still in the time period where certain races were considered inferior. It was a time period where being a certain nationality meant you represented the country you were from. This is substantiated by the story posted earlier about the guy in the part bringing up World War II because he was American. I think once the people in the American Baby-Boomers age group dies out, this problem will dramatically fall.

Thoughts?
I agree with that, though as for dramatically falling, it does depend on how their children and children's children were raised, though I still think we should see a decent decline.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Good point. I didn't account for the children being raised the same way as the parents. Speaking from my experience with people my age, I can say there's some degree of decay in that kind of thinking from their parents' way of thinking. I guess it'll weed itself out with time.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Kids most definitely emulate their parents to some degree. It's interesting when I meet a certain students parents and think "Ohhh....now I get it!" While I wouldn't call all parents racists necessarily, a far majority of them are either misinformed or ignorant to current racial issues and stereotype foreigners into one category.

For one example, last night I had a social event with my Middle School and the PTA (Parent Teachers Association). I was called repeatedly "Brenda" by parents because a women named Brenda (whom I know) was the previous English teacher at this school.

I asked them why they confused me with Brenda and their answer was: "Because you both are foreigners. It is easy to mix up the two." Mind you Brenda (she left last August) was a 36 year old South African women with a South African accent and a son.

I consider it racism but I also consider it misinformation and stereotyping and usually just shrug it up and chalk it up to just plain ignorance....however this mentality rubs off on their children, which in turn, I get in the classroom.

I don't have time to write a new blog entry but I will try to write one some time next week. I will be going on vacation with the girlfriend to Yoron Island.

We leave tomorrow by ferry and I will get back Friday. I am pretty sure this place doesn"t have internet access for my iPhone but I may bring my laptop.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I too am also living in Japan and I am currently at a language school that consists of foreigners (there are some Japanese people but they were born and raised in another country and didn't learn the language). I hear a lot of similar views from people at language school about the racism in Japan that Venus has written about and I definitely have to agree. A lot of my foreign friends say that they love Japan but they wouldn't want to live here for the rest of their lives just because of the racism that goes on around here. They don't want to always be known as "the foreigner" in their group of friends and they don't want to put up with being treated as foreigners for the rest of their lives.

I'm half Japanese and it might sound bad but at some moments I wished I was full Japanese because if you aren't full Japanese then you can feel quite alienated sometimes. Coming from Australia where people of all kinds of nationalities prosper, the difference in Japan is painfully obvious - they are treated differently/separately as Venus pointed out. The racism here is one of the only things I don't like about Japan and it's something I've only noticed after living here for 4 months which isn't even a very long time. I used to come to Japan every year for a couple of weeks on holiday and I would think Japanese society is so awesome, but of course you can only experience so much in 14 days. The reality is that Japan can sometimes be an ostracising place to live in for foreigners and unfortunately that's not something that can change easily.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Vlade hit on the head. Every once in a while, you'll meet a foreigner in Japan who is "that foreigner". The token foreigner. Thus, living in Japan goes from being amazing to repetitive and depressing. No one wants to be treated as an outside, especially someone trying to integrate themselves to the society that is pushing him/her out in the first place. Japanese people, as a whole, excel at this by ridiculous comments, stereotypical misconceptions, the prolonged staring, and the mindset that Japanese people fail at English so they automatically assume communication is impossible (or that the foreigner might not speak English/might speak fluent Japanese.

However, this isn't a vast majority of Japanese and most are willing or helpful enough if you are in need of help or have a question.

I've had a lady walk me 30 minutes, out of her way, to show me where the post office was in Osaka. That was really nice and it made me have warm, fuzzy feelings about Japan.

:phone:

Sizzle

I paint controllers
I studied abroad last year in Hirosaki, Japan. It's a small city of a couple hundred thousand in the north of Japan. I can definitely relate to the stories you have shared, and I have one I thought was relevant to the topic.

I was there on an exchange program with my university for 1 year. When I first got there, I could carry conversation pretty well, but by the end of my time there, I was speaking pretty fluently. That alone made being a foreigner much easier. Though I am 6'4'' and stand out in a crowd, I was pretty well treated for the most part. I'm a basketball player, and decided to join a basketball circle. A circle is less rigorous than a club in Japan, and we only played once or twice a week for fun.

I was one of a few foreigners that joined the circle, and we had a good time. The circle's leader was really cool, and was happy to have more members join, especially since the cold winter was coming up, and the gym wasn't well insulated at all. I went there every week, and was one of the better players there. Most of them were intimidated because of my size, but the other skilled players wouldn't back down, which was fun to compete. The winter sucked and it was freezing in the gym, but we still played anyway.

The spring is the first semester of the year for the Japanese. There were a lot of new freshman who came to the circle, and I introduced it to some of the new international students. This is when I got my first bitter taste of being a foreigner in Japan. We had enough players to have a "international student team" so they just stuck us together, which was fine at first, I didn't mind. However, what started to happen really bothered me. We weren't getting rotated in fairly, and even to the point where the freshman were getting more playing time than us. Japan has a very rigid culture based on age and seniority, and circles and clubs are the same way.

It bothered me because I wasn't simply just a freshman who was new. I had put in my time in the worst part of the winter. I was older than most of the members there too. One of the reasons I think there were problems was because the old leader had graduated, and a new one stepped up to the position. The new guy knew me from before, so I didn't see why there would be problems. It wasn't just an issue of language barrier either; I told them what was going on, but they just responded with a surprised look like they didn't know.

In America, pick up basketball games are decided by skill. The winning team stays on the court and challenges the next group of players. You could be the goofiest looking person on the planet, but if you can play, you earn respect. This was what I have become accustomed to, so it was strange that it didn't seem to mean anything there. The teams in the circle were usually randomly organized and then rotated in, so it didn't matter who won or lost, everyone was supposed to get rotated in equally. That's what really annoyed me; we were not getting a fair rotation. Despite the fact that I was not a new member, if they wouldn't give me that, then at least respect me for being a skilled player.

Eventually, the other international students got bored of sitting around and not getting to play and stopped showing up. It returned back to the way things were before because we didn't have enough for an int'l team and just mixed in teams like things were done before. I'll never forget this experience, because being a white male from America, I haven't had to deal with anything like this before. It really bothered me that I couldn't be seen as equal when I was a dedicated member of the circle already for a semester, and I was one of the better players on top of it.

I have other little anecdotes regarding this topic, but this was the biggest one for me personally. I got the feeling while I was there that Japanese are really welcoming to foreigners, but very slow to truly accept you as one of their own. If there is something a Japanese person can do, then they will likely get the job instead of a foreigner. I'm definitely not saying racism or similar things do not happen in America or elsewhere, but this was one of my more bitter experiences in an otherwise amazing year abroad. It was by far the best year of my life.

Top Bottom