• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(15/2)th BEST

trilok

Smash Apprentice
15/2th BEST Extreme Smash in Troy

May 5th

Important changes/notes:

DIFFERENT: Lots of changes. Read everything below.

Food provided. See below.

Schedule: No teams. See times below.

Prices: 10$ (discounts availible). See below

Meta Knight banned: Meta Knight is banned. See below.

Side events: Brawl-. See below

Venue room change: Same room as the first BEST. See below

Where:

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Student Union in Troy, NY at the intersection of Sage Ave and 15th St. Go to Google Maps and search for "Rensselaer Union, Troy, NY."

The tournament room is on the 3rd floor, in room 3602.

Google maps image. Most people will probably come from 7/Hoosick St.

Zoomed in plus parking. Greens are definitely free, and parking meters do not charge on weekends.

Building image is how it looks from the intersection of Sage Ave and 15th St.

Prices:

Entrance fee: 10$
- 5$ discount for a set up(system + game) or if RPI students (but not both)
- Allows entrance to all events( Melee, Brawl, and Brawl-)
- Includes food (pizza and chips)

Payouts per event:

1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

note:
- Entrance fee distributed to events depending on event entrance. (3m:3B:2B-:2F)
- Amateur bracket will be considered depending on entrants.

Schedule: (subject to change)

Registration for each event will go until the time listed, and then seeding/pool-making starts. Singles will include pools.

1:00pm - Venue opens at room 3511 for Smashing.
4:30pm - Real Venue opens at room 3602 for Smash Tournament. Registration begins.
5:15pm - Melee tournament
6:30pm - Brawl-
7:30pm - Food
8:30pm - Brawl
12:00am- Venue closes

Melee Rules:

- Items off.
- 4 stock, 8 minutes.
- Team attack on.
- Ties are broken by lives then percentage. Percentage ties will replay the match with one stock on the same stage.
- Regular sets are best of 3 matches. Winners finals, losers finals and grand finals sets are best of 5 matches.
- Controller mods are banned.
- Stalling is banned. This includes any excessive use of tactics like rising pound and wall-bombing in order to deliberately delay the match.
- Glitches like the Ice Climbers' freeze glitch and Mewtwo's Soul Stunner are also banned.
- Wobbling is banned.
- Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: The loser cannot pick a stage he or she has won on in the set unless agreed upon by both players. Additionally, if both players agree to play on a banned stage, that stage may be played as well.
- Gentleman's Clause: If the two players agree on a change in a rule, like choosing a banned stage, they are allowed to do so. If there is no agreement, standard rules apply.

Stages:

Neutrals:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dreamland
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium

Set format:

1. Blind picks: Both players select characters.
2. Stage striking: Players eliminate stages from the Neutral Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in a 1-2-2-1 order according to controller port number.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat steps 4-8 for all consecutive matches until the set is complete.

Brawl Rules:

- Items off and none.
- 3 stock, 8 minutes.
- Team attack on.
- If time runs out, if either player exceeds 50 ledge grabs, that player receives a loss. Otherwise the winner is determined by stock then percentage. Percentage ties will replay the match with one stock on the same stage.
- If the match ends with both players dying from a suicide kill (such as by Bowser or Ganondorf), the initiator of the move is declared the victor.
- Regular sets are best of 3 matches. Winners finals, losers finals and grand finals sets are best of 5 matches.
- Controller mods are banned. In addition, all people are responsible for their own control scheme/name tag and must make sure it is set before the match begins. Both players must agree to restart a match on account of a controller problem.
- Stalling is banned. Stalling is defined as any action that deliberately avoids all conflict as to make the game unplayable. Running from an opponent to get to a better position is not considered stalling, but using chain grabs infinitely against a wall beyond 300% or using Sonic's Neutral B repeatedly underneath the stage is.
- Meta Knight's infinite Dimensional Cape is legal.
- Meta Knight is banned.
- Scrooging is banned.
- Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: The loser cannot pick a stage he or she has won on in the set unless agreed upon by both players. Additionally, if both players agree to play on a banned stage, that stage may be played as well.
- Gentleman's Clause: If the two players agree on a change in a rule, like choosing a banned stage, they are allowed to do so. If there is no agreement, standard rules apply.

Stages:

Neutrals:
Smashville
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium 1
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Castle Siege
Frigate Orpheon

Set format:

2. Stage striking: Players eliminate stages from the Neutral Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in a 1-2-2-1 order according to controller port number.

Brawl- Rules:

- Items off and none.
- 4 stock, 8 minutes.
- Team attack on.
- NO ledge grab limit.
- Ganondorf Suicide Rule: In the event of Ganondorf's flame choke ending a match by carrying both players past the blastzone at the same time resulting in "Sudden Death", the Sudden Death will be ignored and a 1 stock, 2 minute rematch will be played.
- Controller mods are banned. In addition, all people are responsible for their own control scheme/name tag and must make sure it is set before the match begins. Both players must agree to restart a match on account of a controller problem.
- Stalling is banned. Stalling is defined as any action that deliberately avoids all conflict as to make the game unplayable. Running from an opponent to get to a better position is not considered stalling, but using chain grabs infinitely against a wall beyond 300% or using Sonic's Neutral B repeatedly underneath the stage is.
- Metaknight is legal
- Scrooging is banned.

Stages:

Neutrals:
Smashville
Final Destination
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise

Counterpicks:
Pokemon Stadium 1
Delfino Plaza
Warioware
Lavaville
Frigate Orpheon
Dream Land N64

Set format:

Attendance:

T.O. contact info:
Trilok/Trilok
Name: Trilok
Email: shahit2@rpi.edu (preferred)
Cell: 978-406-3457 (no texts)

Zaandaa/tiger10x
Name: Adam
AIM: Zaandaa (preferred method of contact)
Cell: 207-649-

Information: See above.

Sheck

Smash Cadet
Definitely coming. This will be my first real tourney :D

I should probably go Oli or Snake instead of R.O.B., though...

tiger10x

Smash Apprentice
I need to emphasize the differences in this tournament compared to others. Read the changes at the top. Everything's different because it works better for the RPI crowd. We don't expect this to attract outside RPI attendance as well because of stuff like payout/schedule/venue, but it's at least one more cool Smashfest before we don't have another until October/November. So if you really want to come to Smash with us, that's great, but there won't be big payouts.

Also I'm not actually TOing (hence trilok posting), but I'll help if I'm there.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I need to emphasize the differences in this tournament compared to others. Read the changes at the top. Everything's different because it works better for the RPI crowd. We don't expect this to attract outside RPI attendance as well because of stuff like payout/schedule/venue, but it's at least one more cool Smashfest before we don't have another until October/November. So if you really want to come to Smash with us, that's great, but there won't be big payouts.

If I came to Smash with you guys for free on a near weekly basis, small payouts are no concern :p

Sheck

Smash Cadet

I'm definitely not looking for money out of this. I doubt I'll even place. I just wanna meet some people, have fun, and get some tournament experience as I wanna try to be competitive when the Wii U SSB comes out.

xenen

Smash Rookie
Dude, forget money! Smash is Smash and has been itself worth the trek since SSB64. Yo Sheck, let's get a carpool!

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
Probably won't come unless I get the Saturday off for no reason. Taking off the weekend after to visit a friend. Also, RPI depresses the **** out of me now, so there's that.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
I'm definitely not looking for money out of this. I doubt I'll even place. I just wanna meet some people, have fun, and get some tournament experience as I wanna try to be competitive when the Wii U SSB comes out.
Dude, forget money! Smash is Smash and has been itself worth the trek since SSB64. Yo Sheck, let's get a carpool!
where are you guys from?

MetalPat

Smash Ace
Hey two things

1) is everything jsut singles, or singles and doubles?
2) i MAY be bringing up to 5 people from University at Albany. crew battles anyone? RPI vs UA? :p

MetalPat

Smash Ace
CREWS PLEASE. i know these guys are interested in playing in more real tournaments, and id love to get a fun rivalry going between schools :p

EDIT:
one of my friends may only be able to have 5 dollars. would it be possible for them to only enter brawl and food?

Top Bottom