• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UCSB: Another melee tournament, are we cool yet... BEING STREAMED!!!

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
Cost:

$5 Venue (more free food and snacks)
$5 Singles
$10 Doubles ($5 per team member)

Time: 12 pm - 11 pm

Location: UCSB. Loma Pelona Center (Near San Rafael and Manzanita)

1. 4 Stocks
2. 8 Minute Time Limit
3. Items set to “Off” and “None”
4. Wobbling / Blizzobbling is legal
5. Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., Ice Climbers’ Freeze Glitch or Mewtwo’s Soul Stunner., etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
6. Modified Dave’s Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick the stage he or she last won on unless agreed upon by both players.
7. Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be disqualified from the tournament with no refund.
8. Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer. Failure to comply can also result in disqualification.
9. In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by:
o Whoever has more remaining stock left.
o If stocks of both players are the same, the winner will then be determined by whoever has less percent.
o If the match ends with both players dying at the same time or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, an identical rematch of the previous match will be played out. Same characters and same stage.
10. Sets will be best out of 3 games. Loser's Finals, Winner's Finals, and Grand Finals will be best out of 5.

Character/Stage Selection Process
1. Blind Picks character selection.
2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order.
3. The first match is played.
4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
7. The losing player picks character.
8. The next match is played.
9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.
*Modified Dave’s Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick the stage he or she last won on unless agreed upon by both players.

Singles/Doubles Stage List
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Yoshi's Story
Dreamland 64
Battlefield

Singles/Doubles Counterpick Stages
Pokemon Stadium

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
ill come if norcal comes

i'd be a lot more interested in coming if the stages weren't terribad; even if i go i won't be entering

also what if i don't want your food/snacks? i eat priy healthy so no offense. why isn't the usual "bring a set up = your fee waived" applicable?

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
hey so i just copy pasted this pretty much from the last sb tourny yesterday

the obvious main difference is venue fee and different building.

the real TO will be Joey (JoeJoe) or Dante if joey doesnt want to do it. ill give them all the details and theyll let you know asap.

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
Hmmm I was under the impression that you would be running this tournament Kevin. I'm not sure what you mean by the real TO.
unfortunately ill be gone that bc of an activity that had to be scheduled for the same weekend

im still talkin to some of the organinizations thats were goin to come and hopefully me leaving wont sway them away but ill keep this updated

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
im down for a carpool

am i really the only one who minds kongo/cruise/brinstar? if u do mind speak up and force the TO to change.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Oh yeah I forgot about that. Cruise/Brinstar are not conducive to competitive play AND they're not even part of the ruleset that nationals adopt anymore. It's pretty dumb for them to still be legal and I was pretty annoyed they were still legal at the last SB tournament, despite being banned everywhere else since Genesis

Edit: I could give my reasoning but the argument has been done to death before by a gajillion people and I'm pretty sure the consensus nowadays is they should banned.

sidefx

Smash Champion
so i think norcal is coming down in full force for this.

3 cars filled up so far

ps. nothing wrong with cruise/brinstar/kongo. they all have hazards that are very predictable and easily avoidable. true cp imo. (in teams i mean. not sure if you guys were talking about singles but im too lazy to read)

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
so i think norcal is coming down in full force for this.

3 cars filled up so far

ps. nothing wrong with cruise/brinstar/kongo. they all have hazards that are very predictable and easily avoidable. true cp imo. (in teams i mean. not sure if you guys were talking about singles but im too lazy to read)
good **** glad u guys can make it

and meh if it rlly is a problem we'll ban em, i hardly ever see matches thr anyway

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
So I'm pretty sure I'm running this and imo BAN EVERYTHING. real talk though ban it all

baka4moé

Smash Champion
let taj's stupid rule be on lol

hmm if norcal's coming id really like to go to this, it should be after midterms so i think ill have some time! :)

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
ban kongo
ban cruise
ban stadium
ban brinstar
ban fountain
ban dreamland
ban yoshis
ban battlefield
ban sheik
ban falco
ban puff
ban falcon
ban peach
ban ICs
ban low & mid tiers

lets do dis

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
god why is santa barbara so full of drama

the tournaments are for the people

if the people want **** banned, let them ban it

instead of rehasing arguments to death

we've been in the community forever, we know what's up, they're banned for a reason

nationals have finally gotten it (mostly) right, copy pasta their rules and let it be

DanteFox

Smash Champion
The only one making drama is you Shadrach. I'm open to discussing things calmly but yall insist otherwise. I don't really care except in principal. I just hate when rules are changed on a whim instead of for a good reason.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
you're such a flake.

nvm saw your post in the oxy thread. I kind of feel the same way to a certain extent but I'm not ready to give up yet. I feel like as long as I can keep making progress, I still have a chance.

Top Bottom